• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

ChryZ

The new Capsule album got detailed!

Title 「CAPS LOCK」
Release Date 2013年10月23日(水) 発売予定
WARNER MUSIC JAPAN / unBORDE

Limited:

FaHj8MR.jpg

【初回限定盤】
[DISC 1]CD
01. HOME
02. CONTROL
03. DELETE
04. 12345678
05. SHIFT
06. ESC
07. SPACE
08. RETURN

[DISC 2]CD ※初回限定盤ボーナス・ディスク
01. CONTROL (extended mix)
02. DELETE (extended mix)
03. ESC (extended mix)

初回限定盤:WPCL-11582/3 / ¥3,000(tax in)
※2CD(アルバム曲のextended mixを収録したボーナスディスク付)、三方背ホワイトクリアケース仕様パッケージ。

Regular:

0stGRWW.jpg

【通常盤】
01. HOME
02. CONTROL
03. DELETE
04. 12345678
05. SHIFT
06. ESC
07. SPACE
08. RETURN

通常盤:WPCL-11584 / ¥2,520(tax in)

source: http://capsule-official.com/news_detail/13

Kurita

Did you get their new album?

Unfortunately I can't time travel.
I see that the second song from the album is produced by Supercar's guitarist, it should be cool. He already worked with great bands like NICO Touches The Walls, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, a flood of circle...

_Ryo_

So, what are some recommendations for music this year so far?

I'm not too picky, as long as it's good. Pop, Progressive, Rock, Folk, Alternative etc.

Kurita

I'll just quote myself
ONE OK ROCK - Jinsei x Kimi =
They managed to exceed all my expectations.
I didn't think it could be better than the previous album, and yet I was just blown away... Easily my album of the year.

Nothing's Carved In Stone - Revolt
It's a bit different than Silver Sun, their previous album. I don't know if I like it more but still, it's so good.
One of the few bands that just can't produce one bad song.

Sakanaction - Sakanaction
I admit that I was less impressed by this album than by DocumentaLy but I'd lie if I said that I didn't enjoy it.
That's Sakanaction for you I guess.

Takahashi Yu - Break My Silence
Without a doubt the best artist I discovered this year.
I'm more of a "band" guy but man, Takahashi sure is excellent and managed to conquer my heart and my ears.

The Flickers - A Piece of The World
The first full album of this young band was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and they delivered.
Everybody should give them a try.

9mm Parabellum Bullet - Dawning
9mm Parabellum 101. If you don't like them well, this album won't change your mind.
If you're already a fan though, it's a pleasure.

[Champagne] - Me Do No Karate
I don't know how they managed to release an album better than the previous one. Just like ONE OK ROCK I was really impressed.
In my opinion the hottest and best indie band right now.

CreepHyp - Fukikoboreru Hodo no, Ai, Ai
Already talked about it in this thread. It's catchy, it's fun. You just listen to the album and dance.
Their best album so far.

Keytalk - One Shot Wonder
First full album of this promising band that I've been following for a few years now.
Cool melodies, a nice duo of vocalists. Perfect to dance and have fun, ala CreepHyp.

illion - UBU
What happens when the leader of one of the most famous Japanese rock bands goes solo? A really good surprise.
Didn't expect to like it since I'm a fan of Radwimps, and yet I'm totally convinced.

Maximum The Hormone - Yoshu Fukushu
It's Maximum The Hormone, 'nuff said.
We've been waiting for so long, and they filled that big void. You'll have a blast listening to this new album.

the telephones - Laugh,Cry,Sing... And Dance!!!
Not as good Rock Kingdom released in 2011 but still, you can't say no to the telephones.
Another album that'll make you sing along... and dance!

NICO Touches the Walls - Shout to the Walls
Another great surprise. Don't expect something revolutionary or super original. Just like 9mm Parabellum Bullet it won't change your opinion on the band.
Still, lots of catchy songs, an ever top-notch vocalist... Good stuff.

Hoshino Gen - Stranger
This is my Takahashi Yu number 2 of the year. Another solo artist I didn't know before that secured a soft spot in my heart.
The album is a bit slow, but relaxing as hell.

BIGMAMA - Kimi Omou, Yue ni Ware Ari
In my opinion, it's on par with their 2012 album, which was already really solid.
I'll never get tired of their "rock + violin" style.

And I'll add a few things :
the chef cooks me - Kaitentai
Uminote - IN RAINBOW TOKYO
Negoto - 5
KANA-BOON - Boku ga CD wo Dashitara
Akai Ko-en - Ko-en Debut
plenty - this
LITE - Installation
Ling Tosite Sigure - i'mperfect
the HIATUS - Horse Riding EP (well, technically it's a single but I need to include it)
Arukara - Munimuni no Ki

This should be enough.

EDIT : actually no, there's more stuff I liked :lol
Brian the Sun - NON SUGAR
a flood of circle - I'M FREE
go!go!vanillas - Shake
ORANGE RANGE - Spark
THE BAWDIES - 1-2-3
COMEBACK MY DAUGHTERS - Mira
andymori - Uchu no Hate wa Kono Me no Mae ni
cinema staff - Bokyo
Good Morning America - Mirai no Spiral

Okay, I think that's pretty much all the albums I liked this year :lol When I said that 2013 was a great year I wasn't kidding.

_Ryo_

How many Japanese songs are there on Nothing's Carved in Stone's Revolt? I think they're first two albums were much better than Silver Sun. Though if the song you linked is anything to go by I'm probably going to enjoy it.

Hoshino Gen's song sounds really nice too.

I'm going to check out Chef Cooks Me.

Leo Imai's album was really good.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Kurita

How many Japanese songs are there on Nothing's Carved in Stone's Revolt? I think they're first two albums were much better than Silver Sun. Though if the song you linked is anything to go by I'm probably going to enjoy it.

Four of the songs mainly have Japanese lyrics.
My ranking of their albums :
Silver Sun
Echo
Sands of Time - Revolt
Parallel Lives

But at the end of the day I love all of their albums so...

_Ryo_

Four of the songs mainly have Japanese lyrics.
My ranking of their albums :
Silver Sun
Echo
Sands of Time - Revolt
Parallel Lives

But at the end of the day I love all of their albums so...

Thanks. If only I could buy Japanese albums on US itunes with my US giftcards. I guess The Chef Cooks Me will have to wait until I gain some cash, I liked the song with Gotoh Masafumi from Ajikan.

Infinite

So like Kurita I'm gonna go ahead and quote myself to offer Ryo some suggestions.
My favorite stuff Japanese music wise this year so far is
May.e - Mattiola
Soutaiseiriron - Town Age
Her Ghost Friend - Never ending Story
Slow Beach - Lover Lover
Towa Tei - Lucky
Jesse Ruins - A Film
tofubeats - lost decade
ZZZ’s - Magnetica
Annie the Clumsy - Annie the Clumsy Vol 1
Jesse Ruins - A Film
Head on the Sofa - Live with Her Ghost

This is a pretty good spread of genres and styles.

Some more stuff I would recommend is Wakusei Abnormal, Leo Imai,青葉市子, Moskitoo and Etsukos albums.

Hope that helps

I thought I could ask GAF for some help since I'm kinda on a slump on my Japanese rock lately. So I really like Japanese rock songs with a powerful chorus. Some of my favorite artists are LiSA, Rookiez is Punk'd, and Uverworld because most of their songs blast into an awesome chorus that gets me hyped. Most of the reason is because songs like this and this warm you up for a bit, but then explodes into a hype powerful chorus.

Right now I've only been limited to songs I see from anime's so I want to broaden my ears to some other songs.

Anybody got any recommendations of bands or songs?

Infinite

I thought I could ask GAF for some help since I'm kinda on a slump on my Japanese rock lately. So I really like Japanese rock songs with a powerful chorus. Some of my favorite artists are LiSA, Rookiez is Punk'd, and Uverworld because most of their songs blast into an awesome chorus that gets me hyped. Most of the reason is because songs like this and this warm you up for a bit, but then explodes into a hype powerful chorus.

Right now I've only been limited to songs I see from anime's so I want to broaden my ears to some other songs.

Anybody got any recommendations of bands or songs?

Check out Kurita's recent posts

Kurita

Actually I'm surprised you didn't know NICO Touches the Walls since they did some anime songs.
But glad you like them and ONE OK ROCK!

faridmon

Loving the recent influx of Math Rock in Japanese music. That is a trend I can get behind. We only need a new release from Owarikara and it could be more awesome.

Infinite

Loving the recent influx of Math Rock in Japanese music. That is a trend I can get behind. We only need a new release from Owarikara and it could be more awesome.

Actually haven't noticed. I did notice a huge influx in Japanese indie pop bands though and like a lot of them are pretty solid to very good.

Also I just learned of a new Bloodthirsty Butchers album coming out in November.

faridmon

Actually haven't noticed. I did notice a huge influx in Japanese indie pop bands though and like a lot of them are pretty solid to very good.

Also I just learned of a new Bloodthirsty Butchers album coming out in November.

Well with Tricot coming up with an album, we have Ircle (who are Slightly Math), Haku, Muddy on the real, LAGITAGIDA (have elements fo math rock), a picture of her, QOOLAND (indie pop mixed with math rock!), SuiseiNoboAz, Uminote (out in November), Uri Gagarn, nhhmbase, PETROLZ, Kidori Kidori (have little elemnt of math rock), Low Past all releasing albums within months within each other. along with super indie bands I came across in Bandcamp.

Also, Nisennenmondai, kinokoteikoku came out with a new release, but I don't know if I would classify them as such.

faridmon

I have discovered amazing new bands that have released albums this year:

Coma*

Post-rock/INstrumental/Electronic band that have a this Chill influence. Cosmic and progressive, but yet dynamic and earthy...
Their unique sounds of electronic and club music definitely makes them one-of-a-kind band!

P.O.P. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyya9UFj60E
My Orbit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgxOj-wh8o

Charisma.com

Shibuya-Key/Electronic duo that have this Hip-Hop vocal style. They are definitely the one to watch out their first album is catchy and danceable. These feisty femmes make filthy electro-rap tunes on which Itsuka dismantles modern Japanese society with spiteful glee. They're the ultimate haters—but they have fun with it.

Hate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffH_Mp74xh4
George http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_IxpF0vNU

√thumm

Shibuya Key band which Makebellievemelody have said this about them ''The trio takes plenty of inspiration from Perfume, Capsule and (the Japanese genre’s father) Yellow Magic Orchestra while also adding a touch of rock to the electronic-heavy affair to craft 55-minutes of ear-pleasing music. Coton serves as the big coming-out moment for a blossoming indie tech-pop-rock scene developing in Japan’s Kansai region, boasting other young club-friendly groups like Bang Bang Balloon and Squash. It’s a piece of gooey electro-pop stacked with killer choruses and feet-moving beats, one of 2009’s best albums by one of Japan’s most thrilling new bands.''

Blue Marble http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVmg_Lnq28
NEU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwNiQ4GiGw

PETROLZ

Math Rock/Jazz band that have this sweet pristine vocals that is beautiful and relaxing from the former Tokyo Jihen band member Ukigumo. His music is very difrent of what he wrote for Ringo in a sense its very personal and tends to be more loungy and jazzy.

Insider http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB9Mj0t0f6Q
Dare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1D-GI_X6Ac

Infinite

Well with Tricot coming up with an album, we have Ircle (who are Slightly Math), Haku, Muddy on the real, LAGITAGIDA (have elements fo math rock), a picture of her, QOOLAND (indie pop mixed with math rock!), SuiseiNoboAz, Uminote (out in November), Uri Gagarn, nhhmbase, PETROLZ, Kidori Kidori (have little element of math rock), Low Past all releasing albums within months within each other. along with super indie bands I came across in Bandcamp.

Also, Nisennenmondai, kinokoteikoku came out with a new release, but I don't know if I would classify them as such.

Oh ok. When yo said new math rock bands I thought you meant like comparatively new bands to like debut this year or something. That being said I thought Mudy disbanded and didn't know any of these guys with the exception of tricot and nhhmbase had albums slated for this year.

I have discovered amazing new bands that have released albums this year:

These are a great batch of recs dude. I think the only one I was familiar with was Charisma.com (although I'm not a big fan). I really like √thumm since I need more things like Capsule and Coltemonikha in my life.

faridmon

Oh ok. When yo said new math rock bands I thought you meant like comparatively new bands to like debut this year or something. That being said I thought Mudy disbanded and didn't know any of these guys with the exception of tricot and nhhmbase had albums slated for this year.

That is exactly what is happening though. Its just that I passed a lot of them through Bandcamps recommendation and now that I want to showcase them, I find them hard to track them down (I just listen to one track and move to the next one without taking any note). Those are the ones I know of although there quite few whom are releasing their début album, like Uminote and Qooland

Let me try find those band's Bandcamp.

By the way have you tried the new album by For Tracy Hyde ? its free on their bandcamp and so far I am digging it. Shoegaze at its finest.

http://shortcakecollagetape.bandcamp.com/album/satellite-lovers
http://shortcakecollagetape.bandcamp.com/album/all-about-ivy

Mudy did release something last year and are currently on tour. Don't about them disbanding, but so far they seem to be doing rather well. They said that they are gonna release a mini-album of sort later this year.

Oh, Sorry, I mean Mudy on the Sakuban

These are a great batch of recs dude. I think the only one I was familiar with was Charisma.com (although I'm not a big fan). I really like √thumm since I need more things like Capsule and Coltemonikha in my life
I knew you would like it. There is something about Charisma.com that really resonate with me, even though I don't like Hip-hop. Maybe its their silly attire of I-don't-care attitude towards the genre which may appear they are taking the piss out of it rather than embracing it.

One of these days, I need to start listen to Capsule. Never listed to them before, don't know why :/

Infinite

I also recently came across this band which was profiled by a blog I frequent. Their name is NTsKi and the blogger describes their sound as "offbeat pop tune based around the core of a simple beat and a cut-up acoustic guitar sample", also goes on to say "It’s also one of those refreshing sorts of pop songs that manages to be catchy as hell without rubbing your face in it." I their the song is cute and I like it

NTsKi - Chome Chome

That is exactly what is happening though. Its just that I passed a lot of them through Bandcamps recommendation and now that I want to showcase them, I find them hard to track them down (I just listen to one track and move to the next one without taking any note). Those are the ones I know of although there quite few whom are releasing their début album, like Uminote and Qooland

Let me try find those band's Bandcamp.

By the way have you tried the new album by For Tracy Hyde ? its free on their bandcamp and so far I am digging it. Shoegaze at its finest.

http://shortcakecollagetape.bandcamp.com/album/satellite-lovers
http://shortcakecollagetape.bandcamp.com/album/all-about-ivy

Mudy did release something last year and are currently on tour. Don't about them disbanding, but so far they seem to be doing rather well. They said that they are gonna release a mini-album of sort later this year.

Oh, Sorry, I mean Mudy on the Sakuban

Ooooh ok. I'm in there then, I'll check these out

I'm familiar with For Tracy Hyde. I downloaded a few of those free compilations they are featured on them. They also released an EP like 2 weeks ago

faridmon

I also recently came across this band which was profiled by a blog I frequent. Their name is NTsKi and the blogger describes their sound as "offbeat pop tune based around the core of a simple beat and a cut-up acoustic guitar sample", also goes on to say "It’s also one of those refreshing sorts of pop songs that manages to be catchy as hell without rubbing your face in it." I their the song is cute and I like it

NTsKi - Chome Chome
Lol, they don't even have a last.fm profile. Indie as hell!

Sounds since. but have to listen to them more to have a more concrete opinion.

Kurita

Mudy on the sakuban just lost a member last year but they didn't disband.
Their album was pretty good by the way, I guess the fact that it was produced by 9mm Parabellum Bullet's guitarist helped.

Infinite

I knew you would like it. There is something about Charisma.com that really resonate with me, even though I don't like Hip-hop. Maybe its their silly attire of I-don't-care attitude towards the genre which may appear they are taking the piss out of it rather than embracing it.

One of these days, I need to start listen to Capsule. Never listed to them before, don't know why :/

The only thing about Charisma.com is that they are hip-hop and my Japanese isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it. They sound nice though their beats are fly, their hooks are catchy, and her flow is legit.

Lol, they don't even have a last.fm profile. Indie as hell!

Sounds since. but have to listen to them more to have a more concrete opinion.

Yeah like i think they literally just decided to be a band, make a youtube channel and post that song. Apparently they used to perform under the moniker of Sichiken which had more of an idol pop feel, sound and aesthetic to it.

Mudy on the sakuban just lost a member last year but they didn't disband.
Their album was pretty good by the way, I guess the fact that it was produced by 9mm Parabellum Bullet's guitarist helped.

Oh ok that's what happened to them. Thought they disappeared for some reason :S

faridmon

The only thing about Charisma.com is that they are hip-hop and my Japanese isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it. They sound nice though their beats are fly, their hooks are catchy, and her flow is legit.

Maybe you will appreciate this interview they have done, and its interesting since they are trying to be fun without relying on their cutesy image

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/y...e-electro-rap-duo-will-make-your-life-better1

I like this quote

we've had that policy since the beginning. I used to write cutesy love songs—"I like you!" "I want to be with you forever!”—but I can't write songs like that anymore. Other people can do those songs better than me.

and this

I noticed that certain types of girls overuse the word “kawaii” so much that it made me wonder, “Do you really find that cute?” If you use that word so easily, it's no longer a compliment worth receiving. I hate that. Those girls just think calling everything “kawaii” makes them sound kawaii themselves.

They seem to know what they are doing, that is why I respect that attitude.

Infinite

Maybe you will appreciate this interview they have done, and its interesting since they are trying to be fun without relying on their cutesy image

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/y...e-electro-rap-duo-will-make-your-life-better1

I like this quote

and this

They seem to know what they are doing, that is why I respect that attitude.

imma have to give these girls a second chance with that.

just came across this pretty sick Japanese band currently playing in the UK called umez. Their sound is noise pop but I would say they are an acquired taste
https://soundcloud.com/umez_uk

Well with Tricot coming up with an album,

really really really hype about this one. honestly this band is the shit right now. they've been doing everything right :v can't even care about the new perfume cuz of this (yeah i went there)

also it being one of my favorite bands, it's tough to see a new Butchers album really this soon, but i know they've been working on it even before Hideki passed away.

Uri Gagarn, .

holy shit this band is still around? i thought the guy is just doing group_inou now... i gotta check this out.

faridmon

holy shit this band is still around? i thought the guy is just doing group_inou now... i gotta check this out.

Wow! Didn't even know they were the same guy. What a talented guy! In fact I have been listening to Gruop_Inou's _ (Underscore) and that shit is amazing. but yeah, they are around, they did took a break but many indie bands (especially technical ones) do that alot.

Which means that I can't expect a new album by Owarikara soon :(

But yeah, Tricot have been hitting the right note ever since they began activity. They didn't pressurise themselves by over-exposing, nor did they let the community hype die away as they trickled EPs and singles slowly while working on their first album. I think they have established a big community over there in Japan.

speaking of hiatus(es), i only remembered that there was a new Leo Imai this year... still haven't listened to it...

any fans? i dig his style even outside Kimonos :)

faridmon

speaking of hiatus(es), i only remembered that there was a new Leo Imai this year... still haven't listened to it...

any fans? i dig his style even outside Kimonos :)

Hell, yeah. Its all about Kimonos, such an amazing album that was. Haven't listened to any of Imai's Solo stuff yet. Will do one of these days.

Rooster12

Bought some Japanese vinyls:

k6jhgi2.jpg

This is a pretty rare 12" so I'm glad I bought it. 鬼 is one of the most distinct Japanese rappers, he first started out as a normal rapper but now he's songs are mostly jazz-influenced or spoken-word stuff, which is really cool. He has a smooth and addictive flow and delivery, lyrically he is on top of the game. His latest album 蛾 is mostly jazz-hop, if you like that style of hip-hop you'll definitely enjoy him:

鬼 - 空き瓶

鬼 - どろぼう猫 

NrbpppO.jpg

This LP is probably my favorite Japanese hip-hop album of all time. The first time I listened I just knew I had to get it. Fla$hbacks is the name of the group, they're a bunch of no-name guys it seems, but dropped an incredible album out of nowhere this year. This one of best hip-hop albums of 2013 as well. The main attraction is the production on here, which is quirky and distinct. If you like Madlib or MF Doom type of rap, then they are a bit similar. They have bunch of songs where they ramble on and on about nothing in general, but you can definitely feel their energy and hunger.

Flashbacks

3XB8jZa.jpg

I bought this just solely for the cover. The vinyl had a different cover so I had to buy the CD instead, but whatever. This is Seeda and Bron-K, two pretty successful Japanese rappers but Seeda used to be one of the best underground rappers out there, then he went commercial but his songs are still good. This is more just techno-poppy rap type of stuff, nothing like the previous two LPs. This is only an EP with only 4 songs, and I can't find any of them on youtube.

Top Bottom