• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

zeopower6

Ayu's upcoming single 'Feel the love / Merry-go-round' is just amazing imo. Though I'm probably alone in feeling this since it's sort of "Ayu gone EDM" with Tetsuya Komuro/DJ Hello Kitty producing the main track and m-flo on the other.

zhnxRLe.jpg

Merry-go-round is the track a lot of longtime fans like, while Feel the love is a lot more accessible and somewhat cheesy, lol. I've listened to these songs' previews over 10,000 times since their releases... I can't wait for the single later this month *_*~

Kurita

The new Champagne song is good, but I don't think I like it as much as the songs from their latest album. The video was pretty good, love the bits they leave in at the end.
Took me a moment but it really grew on me. Their latest album has set the bar so high anyway... Can't wait for the single.
And the video is nice. The moment near the end with everybody running is so cliché but soooo satisfying with the music.

faridmon

Found some great shoegaze-y stuff recently and wanted to share.

Lost in the Fog - Suicide Parade -Acoustic version-

Free download

Nice. Cheers for that. I was looking around for another J-gaze.

Keep us updated for some new Shoegaze bands. Itching for more!

On the topic of J-gaze bands and free albums, have you heard of For Tracy Hyde? They are great Shoegaze band and they just released a EP this year which is FREE as well. I have to add that it was a fantastic EP.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

I have to say that they have contributed in releasing 5 EPs this year and all of them fantastic. They are certainly one of the best indie band that came from Japan in recent years.

faridmon

holy shit there's a new May.e album out now!

Nice. Have to grab that, even though I still haven't listen to the previous one as much as I should. I don't even know if I like it or not.

On similar subject, wasn't there a new release by Head on The Sofa? Loved the one you recommended, and I have to get the new one ASAP.

EDIT: Yep, its called In Your Galaxy. on my first listen, I love it!

Shiina

Nice. Cheers for that. I was looking around for another J-gaze.

Keep us updated for some new Shoegaze bands. Itching for more!

On the topic of J-gaze bands and free albums, have you heard of For Tracy Hyde? They are great Shoegaze band and they just released a EP this year which is FREE as well. I have to add that it was a fantastic EP.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

I have to say that they have contributed in releasing 5 EPs this year and all of them fantastic. They are certainly one of the best indie band that came from Japan in recent years.

Thanks, I enjoyed those. I generally favor female vocals more, though, with BUMP OF CHICKEN being the big exception.

Searched the thread and didn't find anything so here's something for Jazz lovers:

浜田マロン 「午前0時の地下劇場」
浜田マロン 「私のピストル 平成二十四年編」

3wk.jpg
yn7.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find my favorite song of hers 腐った果実 / 腐った果実 平成二十四年編 on any video streaming websites.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks, I enjoyed those. I generally favor female vocals more, though, with BUMP OF CHICKEN being the big exception.

Searched the thread and didn't find anything so here's something for Jazz lovers:

浜田マロン 「午前0時の地下劇場」
浜田マロン 「私のピストル 平成二十四年編」

3wk.jpg
yn7.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find my favorite song of hers 腐った果実 / 腐った果実 平成二十四年編 on any video streaming websites.

You're a good junior. I like you.

faridmon

So... I listed all the J-Rock EPs and albums released in 2013 that I enjoyed.
78 CDs are in it. Welp.

How can you form an opinion on 78 CDs? I never buy any music until I am done with batch I have and appreciate it for what it is and then see whether its good or bad.

Kurita

How can you form an opinion on 78 CDs? I never buy any music until I am done with batch I have and appreciate it for what it is and then see whether its good or bad.
It only takes me one or two listenings to see if I like it.
Music isn't rocket science, it's just a matter of feeling. If I unconsciously start moving my head when I listen to something it means it's good.

Servbot24

Banned

i've probably heard about 150 albums this year and it was a lazy one. but that's probably because i work from home and can listen as much as i want. usually though it's pretty easy to tell on first listen whether its worth listening to again.

I've not heard a lot of Japanese albums this year, I did enjoy Kinoku Teikoku and Melt-Banana though, I need to catch up on some others

just started listening to madegg, he's good 0_0

Kurita

Music when I'm in the train/subway, when I study, when I'm just doing nothing at all on my bed, when I'm browsing the Internet...
I'm always listening to music so it's not hard.

Kansoku

I always try to listen to new music while I'm doing college work. That way I can listen and get to really know the music, while not taking up my free time. Since I'm learning Japanese, this thread has been really helpful, because there's a lot of good suggestions and because I do that way, I discovered a lot here.

Aizo

Banned
Halfway through RADWIMPS's new album

wGkH4.gif

Too good

I love that gif so much. I used it the day when I was all happy and posted that [Champagne] MV. The police had sent me a postcard saying that they found my wallet. I understand that gif now.

I hope to listen to that album soon!!

Kurita

Ok so there's not a single bad song on Radwimps's album. It's amazing from start to finish.
Guess it's in my top 10 rock albums of the year.

Shiina

Just got done listening to a bunch of stuff. Each link is just one song from one or multiple albums. Also I suck with pinpointing genres so I won't even attempt it.

南壽あさ子 is nice if you enjoy soft female vocals. All of her songs suffer from sounding very similar to each other, though. If you like one then you'll probably like all the others but it's easy to get bored of them.
No Lie-Sense I've no idea what the heck I just listened to but some of it was pretty cool, I think?
来来来チーム Not entirely my thing but still worth a listen and I'm sure someone will like it. 天国 and シャボンボール are actually pretty good on a second listen.
大森靖子と来来来チーム Collab album between 大森靖子 and 来来来チーム. If you liked either or both you'll probably like this one as well.

On the topic of 大森靖子: I can't decide whether I like her or not. She has moments where I like her voice but then it suddenly cracks or she overextends and it sound off and rubs me the wrong way.

zeopower6

Kavka is more of a solo act though iirc... she's just also a drummer and model. Shame that she sells like... Ami Suzuki level if not worse.

And never expect any less from RADWIMPS. ;_;

Slowdive

Banned
On the topic of 大森靖子: I can't decide whether I like her or not. She has moments where I like her voice but then it suddenly cracks or she overextends and it sound off and rubs me the wrong way.

I love her. She released a new PV the other day. It's really great I think, it's a more upbeat version of ミッドナイト清純異性交遊. Can't wait to hear her new album.

Finally got around to listening to Mariko Goto's new album and I'm loving it. Better than her first.

Larsa

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the new Mariko Goto album. I love that weird atonal piano song that ends in her just screaming.

Shiina

I love her. She released a new PV the other day. It's really great I think, it's a more upbeat version of ミッドナイト清純異性交遊. Can't wait to hear her new album.

Finally got around to listening to Mariko Goto's new album and I'm loving it. Better than her first.

I think she's starting to grow on me. I've listened to more songs of her and some of them were really good. I also like the direction she's taking in that PV.

Quasar

Now admittedly my listening tends to just run along anime and anime related lines, but is there any streaming service in the west that has a decent jpop collection? You'd expect Music Unlimited to, given they even have videogame music and Sony owns Aniplex. But sadly not.

Larsa

I'm like the only person I know who's not in love with her solo stuff. idk it just aint doing it for me yet I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer more Midori any day of the week. I enjoy her solo stuff more when I try not to compare it to Midori.

Infinite

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer more Midori any day of the week. I enjoy her solo stuff more when I try not to compare it to Midori.

yeah im holding it to it's own standard and like I'm just not feeling it.

Also I think i posted about this album before but I'm doing so again. I would say that I want city's add 2009 LP is truly a hidden gem in the Japanese underground scene.

f0004730_15242222.jpg

The band is a side project from accidents in too large field's drummer Makoto Shimizu back on drums with Tempeng's Junko Sakata on bass and vocals rounding out the line up. The duo only produced one album so far and it's fucking amazing. If I had to describe their sound I would compare them to the no wave scene of the 1980s.

Here's a few of their material
She is Beautiful: http://youtu.be/TXSXgaZkQ34
Pacific Child: http://youtu.be/vY--T8fgimc

Aizo

Banned
Makes me wonder what Japanese services are like. Is spotify in Japan?

It doesn't work here unless you have the download from the western version (using a VPN or something), and Spotify doesn't have too much Japanese music from what I remember.

Aizo

Banned
Suiting that my first Visual Kei concert would be my favorite Visual Kei band, Jupiter (formerly Versailles).
The audience participation was insane. I've never seen such an active audience in my life, and it was awesome. People were clapping furiously, throwing their fists up with the beat, shouting with certain lines, singing, dancing, headbanging in synchronization, and being generally awesome. I didn't think I'd see girls in school uniforms headbanging more hardcore than guys at Death Metal shows I've been to.

They performed fantastically, too. Zin's voice was amazing (especially his growls and screams), so I was very impressed. Everyone got solos, and they even played an instrumental song of Versailles'. The highlight solos were probably Teru's legato sweeping (which literally left my mouth agape for half a minute), Yuki's badass drum solo, and Masashi's funky bass solo under a single spotlight.

When Zin talked to the audience, he was usually telling us how he loved us. I lost track of the times he said 「愛してます!」 He also told us that we're all a family and had us hold hands and bow with them after the second encore (yes, they came back on stage twice). At some point, Zin kissed Teru on the cheek, and Teru also flashed his stomach to the audience. They love teasing their female fans (my friend and I were some of the few guys there, as expected). They really did seem genuinely ecstatic to play, and they kept coming back to talk to the audience. It's as if they didn't really want to leave. Haha. Awesome show. One of my favorites of all time. I had a lot of fun.

faridmon

The new RADWIMPS album is seriously good. Like Holy Shit!

Appreciate music is different from just listening to it unconsciously while doing something else, but whatever!

It doesn't work here unless you have the download from the western version (using a VPN or something), and Spotify doesn't have too much Japanese music from what I remember.

To be honest, there is still alot of Japanese music in western Spotify which is surprising considering that some labels over there just hate streaming music.

That is some HD Gif right there with no compression. Holy Shit so beautiful!

faridmon

Hmmm, having listened to the new RADWIMPS record twice now, I have to say that it does sound very similar to their previous album. and Who the fuck has the time for an 76 min album?

Apart from those faults, its a great album [so far, until I change my mind.... maybe)

Another albums that needs to be considered for some of the best in 2013 is the new Kindan no Tasuketsu and the debut album by Geek Sleep Sheep. Fantastic records.

Kurita

Lucky him!

Too bad she went to LA, I am available here in UK!

I don't what is Level 3 and what it has done to you, but Tamurapan is here for the rescue in few days.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg
Level 3 is Perfume's album.
But the album of the year is Jinsei x Boku by ONE OK ROCK anyway.

If I had to do a top 15 (that's a pretty random number I know) it'd look like this :

1) ONE OK ROCK - Jinsei x Boku =
2) KANA-BOON - DOPPEL
3) Perfume - LEVEL3
4) [Champagne] - Me Do No Karate
5) CreepHyp - Fukikoboreru Hodo no, Ai, Ai
6) Nothing's Carved In Stone - Revolt
7) RADWIMPS - X to ○ to Tsumi to
8) Straightener - Resplendent
9) the chef cooks me - KAITENTAI
10) Hoshino Gen - Stranger
11) Sakanaction - Sakanaction
12) 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Dawning
13) Takahashi Yu - BREAK MY SILENCE
14) Keytalk - ONE SHOT WONDER
15) the telephones – Laugh, Cry, Sing... And Dance!!!

But as I said earlier there are around 80 CDs that I really liked this year so making a top 10-15-20-whatever is a bit pointless.

faridmon

I really don't need to beat the dead horse already, but I really disliked the new ONE OK ROCK and think of it as one of the worst albums this, but that is moot, I have made it clear why I hated it before and still, everyone has his opinion and that is that. I think ONE OK ROCK is dead to me personally.
My Japanese Album of the year so far (before the release of a potentially competitive one on that number 1 spot) is Sakanaction by Sakanction but it could change, I still have a lot of albums to listen to until the year finishes.
I wouldn't know where I would position the new RADWIMPS album, but as it stand, its a strong 7 as opposed to a strong 9 by Sakanaction.
My overall album of the year is Verden e enkel by Honningbarna

Since I can't come up with a list, the albums that I have rated 8 and above

Sakanaction by Sakanaction
We are indies band by Kyuuso ne kokami
Erabarete Koko ni Kitanjanaku, Erande Koko ni Kitanda by The Mirraz
confidential by OGRE YOU ASSHOLE
For the Seeker by Jinn
Good byee to you by BYEE the ROUND
Live with her Ghost by Head on the Sofa
You Owe me Nothing But Love by Comanechi
Wonderland by HaKU

But again, there are loads shed f album I haven't listen to deeply so take with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom