• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Slowdive

Banned
Listening to Shiina Ringo for the first time, and I'm conflicted. There's too much different stuff. 青春の瞬き sounds like a more emotional western-like pop, プライベイト like bubblegum pop, 渦中の男 like some hardcore electronic rock, listened to 丸の内サディスティック and it sounds like jazz, while 熱愛発覚中 sounds like something you'd see from MEG. I like some of these, but hate others, and I don't know what I'll get from the next music.

Ringo being so diverse is part of what makes her so great imo. If you're looking for albums then I'd say listen to 勝訴ストリップ and 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花 then go from there. Also 熱愛発覚中 was a collab with Yasutaka Nakata if you didn't know, that's why it's similar to Meg.

Kazzy

I'm legit trying to order that Miki Furukawa album but my limited understanding of Japanese is destroying me.

Oh? From where?

Truth be told, probably for the best that you have this barrier preventing you from instantly purchasing stuff.

My weekly trips to Tower Records are not pretty!

Shiina

Listening to Shiina Ringo for the first time, and I'm conflicted. There's too much different stuff. 青春の瞬き sounds like a more emotional western-like pop, プライベイト like bubblegum pop, 渦中の男 like some hardcore electronic rock, listened to 丸の内サディスティック and it sounds like jazz, while 熱愛発覚中 sounds like something you'd see from MEG. I like some of these, but hate others, and I don't know what I'll get from the next music.

Her music changed a lot over the years. I'm generally a much bigger fan of her early works, specifically her first two albums (Muzai Moratorium and Shouso Strip).

Larsa

Just listen to 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花 on repeat forever. So good, and she will never make anything on that level again.

Kansoku

Her music changed a lot over the years. I'm generally a much bigger fan of her early works, specifically her first two albums (Muzai Moratorium and Shouso Strip).

Ringo being so diverse is part of what makes her so great imo. If you're looking for albums then I'd say listen to 勝訴ストリップ and 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花 then go from there. Also 熱愛発覚中 was a collab with Yasutaka Nakata if you didn't know, that's why it's similar to Meg.

Hmm I see, didn't know about this collab. Anyway will check these albums.

And speaking of MEG and Nakata, I was thinking these days that MEG is so much better without him. CONTINUE is her best album to me, and while I like STEP and WEAR AM I (well, kinda, I am 50/50 on them), I feel she's not a good match for Nakata's style.

Slowdive

Banned
Hmm I see, didn't know about this collab. Anyway will check these albums.

And speaking of MEG and Nakata, I was thinking these days that MEG is so much better without him. CONTINUE is her best album to me, and while I like STEP and WEAR AM I (well, kinda, I am 50/50 on them), I feel she's not a good match for Nakata's style.

I agree. I like all her albums but CONTINUE is one of her best if not the best. It's probably not going to happen (for a while at least) but I'd like to hear Kyary with a new producer, while they're alright, the last few singles have been a bit samey, but I don't really blame Nakata, it's easy money.

Kurita

Tried getting into Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen several times but it's just not for me unfortunately. Can't stand her voice.

Kazzy

Where do you peeps get your news about the Japanese scene? I pretty much get recommendations from students and friends, so I'm a little spoilt in that regard.

I kind of never bothered to seek out any sources myself, so I'm a little curious.

Kurita

I use natalie and ro69.
http://natalie.mu/
http://ro69.jp/
I don't remember how I did to get news about Japanese music before discovering these websites... Following their Twitter accounts changed my life.
Twitter is pretty nice, I follow the accounts of basically every artists/bands I like, and their members.
I'm also subscribed to most labels' Youtube channels.
And I often buy the magazine Rockin'on Japan, which is more like an advertorial than anything else. But it showcases a lot of artists so I can just google them and see if I like what I hear.

Slowdive

Banned
Where do you peeps get your news about the Japanese scene? I pretty much get recommendations from students and friends, so I'm a little spoilt in that regard.

I kind of never bothered to seek out any sources myself, so I'm a little curious.

Basically what Kurita said. I use Natalie and follow the twitter accounts of bands/artists mainly.

Kurita

Welp, ordered [Alexandros]'s upcoming live DVD. Precious.
jhQLVSe.png

THE NOVEMBERS released their new PV. Their new single is pretty damn good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngPMNcse6k

Kuso Iinkai released their first major PV, really looking forward to their debut album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i3qNE6rOIw

THE STARBEMS also dropped their new PV, neat song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxuGwNLdz_w

Kurita

THE ORAL CIGARETTES, one of the coolest indie bands, announced their major debut! Their new label is A-Sketch, which is the label of ONE OK ROCK, Hello Sleepwalkers... They'll release their debut single on July 16th.
http://natalie.mu/music/news/116750
Can't wait!

My precious Nothing's Carved In Stone will release their new album on August 6th. Since I'll be in Japan I'll be able to grab it directly at Tower Records <3
Love their new artist picture, so cool.

Albums by both the HIATUS and Nothing's Carved In Stone this year... Two of the bands that I love the most and that inspire me everytime I listen to them... So excited for this album.

Kansoku

So listened to the first 3 Shiina Ringo albums (Muzai Moratorium, Shouso Strip and Kalk Samen Kuri-no-Hana), and Muzai and Shouso are actually pretty good. Kalk, starts to go into the stuff that I didn't like, although it have some good songs.

Anyway thanks for the recommendations guys.

Kurita

I hope Sekai no Owari will release an album this year... Their last three singles have been great. Their latest PV is actually one my favorite music videos of the year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9V3x61D994
So cool looking.
Now that I think about it they're really a pure pop band now. They used to be a little bit more rock oriented during their indie days. Just 4 years ago their played on the smallest stage at the Rock in Japan festival and now they're one of the most popular bands around. I'm really proud of them, been following them for years.

Gonna take a long shot here and ask if anyone has recommendations for 80's music. Grabbed about 4 or 5 hour long mixes randomly off the net of Japanese 80s music and it reminded me how much I love the music from then. Which is weird because I hate the 80's except for anime... and I guess j-pop haha.

Larsa

Togawa Jun and Yapoos is da bes' for 80's music. Yellow Magic Orchestra is pretty cool too.

Also Kanashibari by Haniwa-chan is my favorite obscure 80's album. Sadly I think it was a one-off project.

Cool I'll check it out. Was looking for more what I assume (dunno cause I was born in 88 lol) was more main stream stuff? I've heard things like Omega Tribe and Tatsuro Yamashita (literally the only two I can name) before but seriously have a hard time finding the songs/artists names much less places with links to download a few songs to see what its like.

http://www.mixcloud.com/osamu-ansai/music-for-urban-life-japanese-city-pop-mix/

Is one of the mixes that got me on this whole 80s train. I like the more mellow stuff like this. And if anyone has some 80s anime music links that would be great too. Love the songs from stuff like Patlabor and Z Gundam.

Acid08

Banned
So I'm not much of a J-Pop fan but a friend of mine played Spring of Life by Perfume for me and now I cannot stop listening to it please send help.

Kurita

I don't remember the first Perfume song I heard... Dream Fighter maybe, saw the PV on French TV channel called Nolife.
I know that I became a fan a couple of months before JPN's release though.

Top Bottom