• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Electro World remains my favorite song, I was LTTP though and started with Nee.

Oh yeah, Nee is also one of the first songs I listened to, one of my favourite! Also, while watching the music video for the first time I was like "Damn, these girls are beautiful".
They look so good in this PV...

Kazzy

Oh yeah, Nee is also one of the first songs I listened to, one of my favourite! Also, while watching the music video for the first time I was like "Damn, these girls are beautiful".
They look so good in this PV...

Did you buy the 'Clips' Blu-Ray?

I've got to say, my favorite thing of the whole set is the extra of them commentating over all their PV's.

"むずかしい, むずかしい, むずかしい, むずかしい!"

Kurita

Nah, I'm not really interested in buying a compilation of music videos tbh. I'd rather buy their latest live DVD (which I'll do soon). And my Japanese isn't good enough yet to understand the commentaries.

Kazzy

Nah, I'm not really interested in buying a compilation of music videos tbh. I'd rather buy their latest live DVD (which I'll do soon). And my Japanese isn't good enough yet to understand the commentaries.

All the live stuff is worth getting, though I'm pretty much preaching to the converted in here!

...But, DVD!? Give me a moment - I feel faint.

Kurita

I'm going to buy the DVD (no blu-ray version available) they released in Europe. It has subtitles for the MC parts, and it's cheaper than buying the Japanese version!
And overall I mostly buy live DVDs instead of blu-rays. It's cheaper and I can watch them on my Mac when I want to have my headphones on.
I have like 28 live DVDs and only 2 live blu-rays.

Slowdive

Banned
Shiina Ringo covered Utada's Traveling at her concert just hours ago. Also looks like NIPPON is the lead single from a proper new album if Amazon and other sites descriptions are true.

Kaela is coming out with another comp entitled 10years. June 25th. Damn, it's been 10 years. The fans screwed this one up royally, however. Some of the older track inclusions are mind-boggling. There is a grand total of two songs to represent the two albums post-5 Years. No Kekko, Winter Fairy, Mamireru, Wonder Volt... They probably ditched the reverse-chronological order format to cloud the fact that it's so lopsided. Less of a proper retrospective and more of a token release. Sometimes, you just gotta let the artists take care of their own comps. Fortunately, there will be two unreleased songs. One already has a video. It's OK. I guess the good thing is the covers are fantastic. I'm loving this promotional shot as well:

16365-nnocihmh1c.jpg

in other Kaela news, two weeks after the comp comes out she will also have a new single released entitled OLE!OH!.

edit:

I didn't realize that YouTube channel had so many videos. Most are just short snippets of songs, but I haven't seen a lot of those before. She looks great in this one. One of my favorite songs of hers, too.

Larsa

Yeah it's pretty fucking good. I had to buy from the Japanese iTunes store for the first time. I have a 3-disc DVD on the way in the mail too. It's a pretty good year for Shinsei Kamattechan fans.

Kurita

I don't really like her music but I always watch her show, it's pretty good. And there's at least one guest I love everytime, like members from the band OKAMOTO'S, the vocalist from Kyuso Nekokami, the vocalist from [Alexandros]...

Kurita

DISPLAY sounds amazing. What's up with Perfume having some fantastic b-sides? Point, Daijobanai and Handy Man are in my top 10 favorite Perfume songs.

ЯAW

Banned
I'm not that familiar with their stuff but try these :
SuiseiNoboAz (Number Girl's vocalist worked with them) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTp1xLrH0Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIjIgNUFpQ

eastern youth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhEi-K4yNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fGWTbQR6c

I was familiar with Eastern Youth already but SuiseiNoboAz is a new find, thanks. These guys sound pretty good at least going by few youtube songs. Maybe they are bit mellow for my taste and the agressive parts don't work out as well with Number Girl. I'll check out more of their stuff and maybe import their CDs since there is only three of them. Thanks.

edit. I'm backtracking this thread and I'm finding all kinds of gems.

Kazzy

140524 AKB48 SHOW
- Watanabe Mayu
- Sashihara Rino
- Ichikawa Miori

Er, what the hell is happening there?

Also, proclaiming my dislike for AKB is one of the surest ways to instantly endear myself to the majority of my Japanese students. Except maybe my kindergarten class, who are a group of girls who absolutely love them! They constantly try to get me to sing and dance to 'I love you'!

Slowdive

Banned
Kyary album covers and tracklist:

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto2_500.jpg

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto3_500.jpg

Pikapika Fantasian (ピカピカふぁんたじん; Shiny Fantasian)
Kirakira Killer (きらきらキラー; Glitter Glitter Killer)
Yume no Hajima-Ring Ring -album mix- (ゆめのはじまりんりん; The Beginning-Ring of a Dream)
Mottai Night Land (もったいないとらんど)
Serious Hitomi (シリアスひとみ; Serious Eyes)
do do pi do (CAPSULE COVER)
Family Party -album mix- (ファミリーパーティー)
Ring a Bell
Tokyo Highway (トーキョーハイウェイ)
Koi Koi Koi (こいこいこい; Love Rich Love)
Sungoi Aura -album mix- (すんごいオーラ; Amazin’ Aura)
Explorer (エクスプローラー)

Desmond

mayusashilemon1.gif

140524 AKB48 SHOW
- Watanabe Mayu
- Sashihara Rino
- Ichikawa Miori

Lemon-chan. :3

Kyary album covers and tracklist:

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto2_500.jpg

tumblr_n6ddbbAkaW1r0bykto3_500.jpg

Pikapika Fantasian (ピカピカふぁんたじん; Shiny Fantasian)
Kirakira Killer (きらきらキラー; Glitter Glitter Killer)
Yume no Hajima-Ring Ring -album mix- (ゆめのはじまりんりん; The Beginning-Ring of a Dream)
Mottai Night Land (もったいないとらんど)
Serious Hitomi (シリアスひとみ; Serious Eyes)
do do pi do (CAPSULE COVER)
Family Party -album mix- (ファミリーパーティー)
Ring a Bell
Tokyo Highway (トーキョーハイウェイ)
Koi Koi Koi (こいこいこい; Love Rich Love)
Sungoi Aura -album mix- (すんごいオーラ; Amazin’ Aura)
Explorer (エクスプローラー)
Sweets. Details on release?

Vard

ЯAW;113861434 said:
Can anyone recommend me more bands like Number Girl?
Bloodthirsty Butchers
toddle
Zazen Boys

Hisako (ex-NG guitarist) is in the first 2 bands and Zazen is Mukai's post-NG project. Zazen Boys II is the album you want to check out from them; their later releases are nowhere near as good unfortunately.

ЯAW

Banned
Bloodthirsty Butchers
toddle
Zazen Boys

Hisako (ex-NG guitarist) is in the first 2 bands and Zazen is Mukai's post-NG project. Zazen Boys II is the album you want to check out from them; their later releases are nowhere near as good unfortunately.

I have heard some individuals songs from Zazen Boys and don't really like them. Mukai doesn't use his whole vocal range with Zazen Boys, also dirty and unorthodox guitar tunings are toned down a lot. Zazen's guitar compositions are too clean and too technical for my liking. I'll try out Zazen Boys II but don't know if they are really for me.

Butchers are good but they are straight up punk band. Hisako's guitar work doesn't really bring anything interesting to Butcher's sound. I enjoy their music but it is not substitute for NG.

I guess problem is that I'm not looking something similar to Number Girl but another Number Girl :b Unfortunately doesn't seem like there is another band like them at least in Japan.

Kurita

For some reason I couldn't really get into Number Girl before, but I gave it another try since you talked about them. Turns out I really like them now! And they're re-releasing one of their album this year, too.

Slowdive

Banned
I love Inshow-Ha's new PV

Maron Hamada's new maxi-single is really great.

Especia's new album is good.

Also, pretty much every track from Ayumi's new album is out, even though the release date is a month from now. I like most of what I've heard.

Kurita

Purchases of the day
z8evLuE.png

This is a really good week for Japanese rock. Didn't have enough money to buy the new Base Ball Bear album unfortunately.

Aizo

Banned
My two most recent ticket purchases. I'm finally going to see one of my very favorite bands, winnie. I'm probably going to cry. Taku from NCIS said he would introduce me to them, but he doesn't respond to my messages anymore :(

I'll also be seeing HaKU!!! Ahhh! I can't wait for either show!

I was going to see Vampillia again this weekend because Togawa Jun is playing with them, but I cannot bail on prior plans for Friday. :/
I may regret this.

Kurita

Quick thoughts on the new stuff I got.

the telephones - SUPER HIGH TENSION!!!

I think it's better than last year's album, and it might also be even better than Rock Kingdom which was imo the band's best album. The songs aren't too long, so even the slower ones aren't boring. The usual high-tempo songs are obviously fantastic, they can't do no wrong when it comes to fun and crazy tunes. If you want to dance and shake your butt, grab this new disc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZt-bJmuDs

Kuso Iinkai - Shu no Kigen
I was looking forward to this album. Discovered this band after seeing a couple of Jaopanese people talking about it on Twitter. It's one of those rock bands that seem to be popular with young people that are into "subculture" you know.
This is their major debut album and it's pretty damn good. They have a distinct sound, a bit hard to describe. It's not experimental at all, at the end of the day they're a pop-rock/alternative band but there's something about their melodies that makes me feel melancholic. Another good addition to Crown Records's roster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i3qNE6rOIw

The Flickers - AT FIRST LIGHT
Another major debut, this time it's just an EP though. Four songs, enough to display The Flickers's universe.
The lead track is damn good, and I actually thought that this EP was a bit less accessible than some of their previous works. Doesn't mean it's not good obviously. The band knows how to craft good rock/electro-ish songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmu_0gA0ins_

Top Bottom