• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Hope you'll recognize Nocchi as the true goddess.
cGukWBf.png
unf

Kurita

That's her yeah, it was a few years ago. Don't know why she's sad/upset either tbh :lol

Full version of Hold Your Hand is pretty nice.

Acid08

Banned
Also guess I should mention that The Pillows are one of my favorite bands. Like most Americans, I got introduced to them through FLCL but I slowly imported their other albums and their whole catalogue is just great. One thing I've never been sure of is just how popular they are in Japan, anyone have any insight? When I saw them in SF they played a small venue but it was PACKED, they have a pretty small, hardcore following here it seems.

Kurita

They are definitely a really popular and influential rock band in Japan (a tribute album came out this year, and another one was released ten years ago), always sold a decent amount of discs and playing in quite big venues. They've been around for 25 years and I think they'll last a few more years.

Slowdive

Banned
Nocchi is my favourite Perfume member but Kashiyuka is not far behind.

I don't listen to them but the Lillies and Remains' bassist has left, I know some people here like them.

Nee was the first Perfume song I heard. I'm a little lttp

Also, A~chan >

I'm super LTTP, my first Perfume song was Spice. Before that I was all about early Capsule and didn't care about Yasutaka Nakata's other stuff. In hindsight, that was kind of dumb.

Kurita

Hold on to your buuuuuutts! New Perfume single on July 16th!
Title is Cling Cling. Their new pic is great.

Tracklist :
1. Cling Cling
2. Hold Your Hand
3. DISPLAY
4. いじわるなハロー
5. Cling Cling - Original Instrumental -
6. Hold Your Hand - Original Instrumental -
7. DISPLAY - Original Instrumental -
8. いじわるなハロー - Original Instrumental -

Desmond

Hold on to your buuuuuutts! New Perfume single on July 16th!
Title is Cling Cling. Their new pic is great.

Tracklist :
1. Cling Cling
2. Hold Your Hand
3. DISPLAY
4. いじわるなハロー
5. Cling Cling - Original Instrumental -
6. Hold Your Hand - Original Instrumental -
7. DISPLAY - Original Instrumental -
8. いじわるなハロー - Original Instrumental -

Aw yiss

Speaking of their clothes, what are your favorite Perfume outfits?
The new one is directly in my top 3, the other two being Mirai no Museum and Spending All My Time.

Runner-up : the quite sexy one from Laser Beam.
I love the Mirai sleuth-esque ones but I think my favourites are the ones from 1mm.

Kurita

My jams of the week :

KANA-BOON's new single, フルドライブ (Full Drive).
These guys have been on a roll ever since their nationwide debut last year.
Already said they were the best young rock band in my opinion and this new single is just wonderful.
Title track is already one of their best songs and the b-sides are rock solid. They totally deserve to be more popular. They'll appear on the next Music Station, I hope this will boost the sales of the single.

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/KANA-BOON---Full-Drive/95f2c0aaf885b4749a3903f960d9d30b

KEYTALK's first major full album (their second full album), OVERTONE.
Holy fuck this is good. I was sooooo hyped for this and this album hit me like a truck. It's the KEYTALK I know and love, I got what I wanted.
This might be their best release so far. 13 songs of nice pop-rock tunes to make you move. Their slower songs are even better than before, it wasn't really their strong point until this album. Their more upbeat and dynamic songs are flawless as always.
Really a perfect album that embodies why I love this band so much and it'll likely be one of my most listened albums of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfzQ75KWGCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOLkCU58tI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icN4ISebN8

The Mirraz's new single, Kono hoshi no subete (この惑星のすべて)
Been listening a lot to these guys lately so I was looking forward to the single. I really dig their slower/emotional songs and that's what the title track is.
Starts a little slowly but explodes in the chorus where the singer goes all out, especially near the end of the song.
The b-sides are also damn good, I think one of them (らぶりー) will become one of my favorite songs of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HefV9bn20

Peru

Sounds great, looks great.

Some lunatic attacked AKB members with a saw during a fan meeting - three in hospital.

Pretty sad.
To be honest I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Some stuff has happened before, but it's usually just limited to assholes making comments that upset the girls. I think the worst previous incident involved a SKE48 member (Yamada Mizuho) having black powder tossed in her face. But nothing like this where members have ended up with fractured fingers and cuts.

All members are off of their social media accounts now due to not wanting to say anything that could harm the investigation. So, it's hard to figure out what exactly happened when much of it is just based on fan accounts.

Acid08

Banned
Listened to a few more Perfume albums.

Like:
Triangle
JPN

Meh:
Best Singles Collection

Still like Level 3 the best. BSC felt too sing songy to me and not enough robot music.

Also, this is pretty specific, but are there any other songs in the vein of Spring of Life? That song is just perfect to me, disgustingly catchy hooks and super danceable music.

Kurita

Perfume's songs from their indie days aren't really good imo. Their major singles, i.e. Electro World, Linear Motor Girl and Computer City are when it starts getting good for me, especially Electro World, such a fantastic song.

Peru

"Complete Best", if that's what you mean, is still a 10/10 album, wonderfully kooky bubble gum pop - but yes, it is more bubbly and less cool electro except for the singles Kurita mentions which are stone cold classics.

Sourcerer

Perfume's songs from their indie days aren't really good imo. Their major singles, i.e. Electro World, Linear Motor Girl and Computer City are when it starts getting good for me, especially Electro World, such a fantastic song.

Electro World remains my favorite song, I was LTTP though and started with Nee. Thought it was strange sounding, but couldn't resist listening to it over and over. It doesn't sound so strange anymore!

On outfits I really like the Game outfits from the tour of the same name, not sure if they've wore them since. No PV for Game. Wish there was a PV for nearly every song.

Listened to a few more Perfume albums.

Like:
Triangle
JPN

Meh:
Best Singles Collection

Still like Level 3 the best. BSC felt too sing songy to me and not enough robot music.

Also, this is pretty specific, but are there any other songs in the vein of Spring of Life? That song is just perfect to me, disgustingly catchy hooks and super danceable music.

Dunno if these count as super-close to Spring of Life (after a while all of Yasutaka Nakata's more dance-oriented stuff blurs together a bit for me) but I wonder if late-period Capsule would be of interest to you? Specifically More More More and beyond (More More More, Love or Lies off PLAYER, World of Fantasy off World of Fantasy).

Or if you want something not so hard, there's always mid-period Capsule (Soratobu Toshikeikaku and Lounge Designers Killer off Lounge Designers Killer, Beautiful Hour off NEXUS-2060) or Coltemonikha (Communication, Sleeping Girl, Namaiki (extended mix)).

As an aside, I fell down an Especia rabbit hole this morning. The concept of a vaporwave Jpop band (even if really they're not so much) is so bizarre and the songs are so catchy, what the hell man.

To be honest, my knowledge of Capsule is really focused on everything between Cutie Cinema Replay and Lounge Designers Killer. I came to Capsule via the Shibuya-kei connection and didn't really care at first about the clubbier stuff. Slowly some of it has grown on me; Level3 was the compromise that I've liked the most so far.

Kazzy

Lame - I missed all the chatter about my favourite subject!

Anywho, I 've been aware of Perfume for the longest time (checking in the hipster badge at the door), though I was never particularly enamored with them. If I had to place when exactly they 'clicked' for me, it'd have to be 'Magic of Love', as it lined up perfectly with my odd, eclectic, electro-infused, musical sensibilities.

Ever since, I've retroactively enjoyed the majority of their catalog - doubly so since living in Tokyo.

Top Bottom