• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

tatsuki

31mayu.gif

X-Japan. Easily the best the country has to offer in my opinion. Especially songs like "Kurenai". Nice somber start and them BAM! 2 minutes or so in and that killer riff and the band kicks in properly, bloody fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fzl2JqteA

Live version of "Art Of Life" is amazing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc2M7cNPWk

One of the few recent bands who have survived a singer replacement without losing their charm too IMO.

Slowdive

Banned
I used to love X Japan years ago, I don't listen to them much anymore, whenever Yoshiki is interviewed he always says the new album (which apparently half the tracks are re-recordings of old songs) is 99% done, he's been saying it for ages.

One of the few recent bands who have survived a singer replacement without losing their charm too IMO.

Toshi was always the singer.

Kurita

Went to Paris's Japan Expo yesterday and saw the band Rhythmic Toy World live.
They're a pretty neat pop-rock band and the concert was really great, didn't expect to have this much fun. It was their very first overseas performance and I'm sure they didn't expect the crowd to love them. They had a ton of fun on stage, always smiling, dancing...
We even got an encore! Actually they didn't expect this, the singer admitted that they didn't know what to do :lol So we got a completely new song, it was really nice of them to do that!
So yeah, really great, definitely have to listen to these guys more, loved the show.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaJmHDGO_g
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK_syfGSM9c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkdWCpNLijQ

Also, while we were hanging out in front of a conference hall with my gf, some members from the idol band Berryz Kobo walked past us saying "Ooooooooh" :lol
Guess they thought we were cute.

And finally my gf got me this
This is kinda related to Japanese music since it's Nakamura Yusuke's artbook, and he's the guy who does ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION's CD covers. Soooo happy to have this, it's beautiful.

Desmond

Anyone living in Japan able to tell me how I go about buying tickets to one of Kyary's gigs in Osaka this October? I wont be in Japan until September so I was wondering if I can buy online. One of my Japanese friends said getting tickets is difficult, but another recommended to use eplus.

first track is definitely one of the best on that LP, but my favorite is がたんごとん. I could listen to that one over and over. Such an easy-going and catchy song. I think one time coming home from work (at least an hour commute) it was the only song I listened to haha.

tatsuki

41mayu.gif

Mayu worried about her skirt, while the other members don't seem to care. I mean look at 8th place in the back left. Unbelievable.

Why is the UK venue for Perfume seated?, not that I really mind, but getting tickets in live time is rather scary.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4eMtE7Ljti1b0RyVmFUSzJlOWs/41mayu.gif
Mayu worried about her skirt, while the other members don't seem to care. I mean look at 8th place in the back left. Unbelievable.

Koji ain't worried cus she knows she has something to actually show off!

I'm row M, anyone N? lol. I could see them taking out the seats, but in a way I like that with seats I don't have to get there hours earlier to make sure I'm close to the stage.

UNvLh7J.gif

Kurita

I think you're talking about Fact. They recruited a foreign guitarist during an overseas tour.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas's members are all Japanese, they just got a new bassist like 1 or 2 years ago.

Peru

Well that was a super tight set. Decent amount of people there to see them as well. Hopefully it's uploaded.

BrylSHeIQAQXI2E.jpg:large

Yamaguchi Miyoko is great. Nails Komaki's stuff. Please hire this woman permanently.

lol, I know they don't want the "image" of upskirts but hey it happens when they are that short. Still, they make a bit to big of a deal out of it, especially when they are wearing shorts under it for that exact reason.

Anyway. New security measures at handshake events isn't a joke apparently. Extra actual cops, venue security, and staff. Would seem like overboard if nothing happened before. Better safe than sorry for would be copycat criminals I guess.

IMG_8377.JPG

05+-+1

Also this just because shes perfect.

05+-+1

Kurita

Fujifabric just announced their new album, LIFE (which is also the name of one of their singles, that's dumb), it'll be out on September 3rd.

Another nice release on Sepetember 3rd is FOLKS's first single. Their major debut mini-album is one of the best releases of 2014 so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I've been getting into a band called This is Not a Business lately. They're a rock/hardcore/electro band I guess.
jfBz8N3.jpg

Their style is a bit similar to MAN WITH A MISSION. Actually many think the two bands are related because This is Not a Business also wear masks (Tengu masks), one of their albums is called WELCOME TO THE TENGU WORLD which is similar MAN WITH A MISSION's WELCOME TO THE NEWWORLD, The first two songs of their album 10 GOODS are called "MAN" and "WITH A MISSION"...
So, who knows. Maybe they're just joking around, maybe they're the same band... Anyway I think I like This is Not a Business more.
They released two albums this year, WELCOME TO THE TENGU WORLD and DEATH MARCH. The later is easily one of the best albums of the year. If you like this genre it's a real gem. There's even a cover of ELLEGARDEN's ジターバグ !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm5EhPElP2Q

Aizo

Banned
My girlfriend saw Ayumi Hamasaki's performance the other night, and it looked pretty crazy (she took pictures of the setup). I've never seen a big Pop artist, but that sounded like an awesome show. Makes me wanna listen to more Ayu. She's a pretty respectable Pop artist in my eyes. Anyone who doesn't lip synch, and writes there own music is cool with me.

Peru

Well her music was much better when she composed it herself, these days she mostly just writes lyrics and puts out a ton of albums with a couple of good tracks each at most. I'm sure she puts on a big show though. Not as good as lip-syncing Perfume, but still probably pretty good.

Kurita

Perfume's shows really seem to be the best ones in Japan now. I'd love to go to a Dome show... Even their overseas shows are some of the best you can get from a Japanese artist/band performing outside of Japan.

Kurita

Listening to UVERworld's new album. Don't really know anything about the band, I listened to a few songs by them a few years ago but kinda forgot about them. I'm usually not a fan of this kind of pop-rock bands but it's quite cool. Didn't expect to like it this much.

What made me listen to the album is actually the latest Rockin'on Japan issue I bought today :lol

TsuXna

Listening to UVERworld's new album. Don't really know anything about the band, I listened to a few songs by them a few years ago but kinda forgot about them. I'm usually not a fan of this kind of pop-rock bands but it's quite cool. Didn't expect to like it this much.

What made me listen to the album is actually the latest Rockin'on Japan issue I bought today :lol

Hard not to love them :3
The last album is more about electronic genre. I liked Nano second the most from their new album.

Kurita

I'll have to listen to it a couple of more times but I definitely loved it. Hard to pick my favorite song yet but Impact is up there. Born Slippy is also awesome...
I also have to listen to their previous albums now heh

Top Bottom