• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Welp, spent all the remaining yens I had, going back to France tomorrow ;_;
Bought this sweet ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION x Tower Records tote bag as well as SANABAGUN's first album.
tumblr_nac99x3ynJ1r8n81ao1_500.jpg

Yup, Although it's kind of hard for me to dislike much of anything that Nishino does. <3 her voice.

The only thing I dislike is when she throws away her voice on cheap dance tracks (We Don't Stop) although the lives and b-sides are top notch.

Welp, spent all the remaining yens I had, going back to France tomorrow ;_;
Bought this sweet ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION x Tower Records tote bag as well as SANABAGUN's first album.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/7c3bdb3c66cdf67f981995944a393276/tumblr_nac99x3ynJ1r8n81ao1_500.jpg]

Sweet, I can't even imagine how much you spent on CDs overall lol.

Kurita

I spent almost 60.000 yens on CDs... :lol I bought the bag and two Japanese iTunes cards worth 3000 yens each with the remaning money.

Infinite

Everything was planned except for 2 or 3 CDs :p
Made my cart on Tower Records' website, printed it and there you go.

Well alright. Must be nice to able to floss like that and some music :p

Hey, what you guys think of doing something like comprising a list of "essential" Japanese albums? Something like a guide if someone is trying to explore the industry or is just interested in the thread then what should they check out. Basically stuff you think people who consider themselves fan should have listened to or be listening to. Similar to what's going on in this thread. I don't know how long the list should be consider where not just discussing one genre but an entire industry but I'm leaning towards 30 albums.

I have small list put together already but it would be cool if the thread works together on making it.

Also if we could establish an initiation for new posters that'll be cool too. I mean we all should go through the initiation when we agree on the types of questions it should ask.

Kurita

What do you mean by initiation? I have a hard time finding questions.
Like, questions about the poster's tastes or something?

Infinite

What do you mean by initiation? I have a hard time finding questions.

It's something I notice other OT Community threads do. Just a way for new members or people who lurk to break the ice, introduce themselves and join the discussion. So something like this (from Gaf-hop, Gaf's Hip-Hop Community thread)

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep -
• Favorite Artist -
• Best feature killer -
• Favourite producer -
• Favourite album -
• What's in your playlist right now? -

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums:
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
• Jay Z or Nas?
• Biggie or Pac?
• What’s your dream album/project?
• Who is the next big rapper/producer?
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee?

Get the idea?

Infinite

Ok so I got some icebreaker questions!

• What country do you currently call home?
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound?
  • Favorite artist?
  • Favorite album?
  • Favorite genre(s)?
  • What's in your current playlist?
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc.
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs?
  • Best Perfume member?
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member?
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment?
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market?
lemme know what you guys think. Is it fine the way it is? should we add anything? should we lose anything etc.

• What country do you currently call home? Canada!
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know Used to live in Japan so It was unavoidable lol
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? I do, but I'm not a lyric person.
  • Favorite artist? L'Arc ~en~Ciel is my all time favorite band.
  • Favorite album? Ark and Ray by L'Arc.
  • Favorite genre(s)? Metal, rock, synthpop, etc.
  • What's in your current playlist? None. Always have it set on random.
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc. Utada, but if I had the choice Ringo Shiina.
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? I guess Charisma.com
  • Best Perfume member? Impossible to choose!
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? I guess Perfume counts as idol group, so Perfume. Not really an idol kinda guy
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? I don't care about any of them
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Personally, Perfume > Capsule > KPP (haven't listened to much of hers)
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? I have zero interest in Kpop so I don't know.
lemme know what you guys think. Is it fine the way it is? should we add anything? should we lose anything etc.

tatsuki

The only thing I dislike is when she throws away her voice on cheap dance tracks (We Don't Stop) although the lives and b-sides are top notch.

I didn't really like We Don't Stop at first. I let it grow on me though. I also didn't really care for her image while she was promoting it. That's something very minor though.

130701 - Shiraishi Mai
http://a.pomf.se/feajpj.webm

131116 - Watanabe Mayu
http://a.pomf.se/sbteme.webm

140328 - Sakurai & Wakatsuki
http://a.pomf.se/tlumgi.webm

140802 - Shiraishi Mai
http://a.pomf.se/uhhenl.webm

Slowdive

Banned
Questions sound good to me, maybe one about a favourite band would be good too? I know you can put them as a favourite artist but still.

Aizo

Banned
  • What country do you currently call home? Japan? I guess so.
  • What got you into Japanese music? I had a few Japanese exchange students live with me when I was growing up, and I guess that got me spiraling into what is now my greatest passion.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? I suppose it depends. I understand some songs, but sometimes I just don't listen that closely. There are bands that I just don't get, even when I read the lyrics, like Maximum the Hormone.
  • Favorite artist? Oooh, damn. That's hard. Right now, Winnie.
  • Favorite album? You're killing me. Probably L'Arc~en~Ciel's "Awake."
  • Favorite genre(s)? Prog rock, Shoegaze, Classical/Experimental combinations like World's End Girlfriend and Kashiwa Daisuke, Underground Hip-Hop, Electro-House, Prog. House, Melodic Death Metal, Power Metal, Folky kinda cute stuff.
  • What's in your current playlist? Aimer, Arai Tasuku, Arukara, COgnNdshE, Czecho no Republic, The fin., The Flickers, Galneryus, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, HaKU, the HIATUS, Hitorie, Lemon's Chair, Lillies and Remains, Momoiro Clover Z, The Oral Cigarettes, Sekai no Owari (still on there from when my band performed Instant Radio), Shiba in car, SiM, Spitz, The Straights, Shiyobi no Campanella, Tokyo Shogazer, Togawa Jun, Wakusei Abnormal, The Winking Owl, winnie, World's End Girlfriend, Youko Kanno, Yonezu Kenshi.
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran? Utada. If I can choose two, I'd add Gackt.
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Gesu no Kiwami Otome and The Winking Owl...
    maybe.
  • Best Perfume member? I'm really not that knowledgeable. I'll trust Kurita, and go with Nocchi.
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? I don't listen to much, but I'd go with Momoiro Clover Z. I don't know any of the members' names, but I know my least favorite is the one with the highest voice, who often sings out of her natural register.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? Disgusting. Don't get me started.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse: Capsule, Kyary, Perfume. Don't hurt me.
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? I would be down, as long as they're different enough. I wish someone like SunnyHill was able to become exposed, back when they were unique. They're bland now.

I wish we could post these in the OP... Too bad the OP abandoned us.

Slowdive

Banned
Answered them, picking a favourite artist and album were tough so they could change.

• What country do you currently call home? England
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know I can't really remember specifically, I think I found some Japanese music randomly on the internet and went from there.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? I'm not really bothered about lyrics in western music as long as they're not terrible. But if I want to know a translation of a song I'll look it up.
  • Favorite artist? Shiina Ringo
  • Favorite album? Dial Y for Murder by Yapoos
  • Favorite genre(s)? Rock, electronic, pop
  • What's in your current playlist? Suiyobi no Campanella, Seiko Oomori, Charisma.com
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc. Utada Hikaru
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Seiko Oomori
  • Best Perfume member? Kashiyuka
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? BiS, Pour Lui.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? I don't mind AKB48, I occasionally listen to them and keep up with news about them. I don't care about Johnny's though.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Capsule, Meg, (doesn't produce her anymore but whatever) Perfume, Kyary
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? I'm cool with it, there's a chance of more sales in Japan so I see why they do it.

Peru

• What country do you currently call home? Norway
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know Internet back in the day, some anime, though I haven't watched any anime series for a decade +. Stopped, then got back into it via music forums
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? Little, though I look up translations when available
  • Favorite artist? Japanese? Perfume all time, tricot last year. Utada, BoA (cheating)
  • Favorite album? First Love
  • Favorite genre(s)? RnB and everything else
  • What's in your current playlist? morning musume 14 - your bright smile is like the sunshine - I have no relationship with this group but this is one of the most absurd songs of the year, absurd that it's released and that it works as well as it does in spite of being as weird as it is and not weird in a typical, deliberately alternative way
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. etc. Utada. Ayumi made some brilliant fucked up pop music at her peak, but
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? tricot
  • Best Perfume member? all
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? Perfume are not idols by the Japanese definition imo. My favorite idol group is prob MomoClo though others have overtaken them in pure musical terms MomoClo as performers are unmatched in the idol world, they sell their stuff with so much energy and glee and their live shows are unbelievable spectacles. In purely musical terms groups like Tokyo Girls Style (with enough hot bass for AlabastreAizo for sure) and Especia have wholly unique, fresh sounds and have put out genuinely great albums this year. BiS was a sweet and inspired anti-idol idol experiment and so much more poignant for the brevity of their career and disbanding this year, and their music rocked as well
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? I admit some ignorance but my feeling is still that J-pop boy bands are boring and dull and bland through and through. I hated on AKB despite enjoying a few songs now and then until Sashihara Rino won the election and she's such a great personality and especially refreshing as a member of this dynasty that it's impossible not to follow her activities and as a result I know and follow the group more now. I still think AKS has made some choices in managing these girls which are deeply sexist and they were perpetrating some dangerous and disgusting ideas about women in the way they treated dating 'scandal' members - but narratives like that of sasshi's show how other, positive ideas can exist and make a difference inside this system.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Perfume, Capsule Kyary (though she's got some highlights that beat Capsule's - various other stuff
    I lived 1,5 years in Korea actually. The only kpop concert I watched live was BoA's - she's one of the great performers in pop history - while I saw Perfume two times in KR and one time in JP during my stay. Anyway I like kpop, there are some great producers and artists, though in Japan the novelty has worn off and now only a select few enjoy big chart success. Groups like SNSD make big money doing live tours. It's quite different from jpop sound wise, for the most part. Generally I hope Japan and Korea bond more and politicans get off their stubborn attitudes. Met lots of Japanese in Korea and we all had a good time.

Kansoku

Brazil
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know
    I always liked anime OPs, but never ventured forth. When I decided to learn Japanese I came across this thread and I've been in love with J-music since then.
    Not yet, but one day!
  • Favorite artist?
    This is really, really hard to chose. I'm torn between androp, indigo la End, tricot, &#12450;&#12523;&#12459;&#12521; and &#12365;&#12398;&#12371;&#24093;&#22269;
  • Favorite album?
    tricot - T H E, indigo la End - &#28186;&#12395;&#12390;, &#26481;&#20140;&#37202;&#21520;&#24231; - Crystalize. This is really hard to choose >.<
  • Favorite genre(s)?
    Post-Rock, Math-Rock, Prog-Rock, Shoegaze
    Always shuffle everything, but I'm really into &#20955;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#26178;&#38632; right now
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, etc.
    Hmm probably Utada, since she's the one I've listened more.
    &#12365;&#12398;&#12371;&#24093;&#22269;, &#12466;&#12473;&#12398;&#26997;&#12415;&#20057;&#22899; and &#12498;&#12488;&#12522;&#12456;
  • Best Perfume member?
    Kashiyuka s2
    Don't like idol stuff, so Prefume and ^
    I really don't like idol culture, but I'm indifferent about AKB48 as a "artist".
    Perfume > Capsule > &#12365;&#12419;&#12426;&#12540;&#12401;&#12415;&#12421;&#12401;&#12415;&#12421; = MEG (But she is so much better without him)
    The only K-Pop I've ever listened was Girl's Generation, so IDK

Also, I really like the idea of an "essential" list. I was thinking of doing one myself.

Larsa

• What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know Anime, I guess.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? If I don't understand something just by listening to it and it's something I listen to a lot I will look them up and try to translate them, great for Japanese practice.
  • Favorite artist? Shinsei Kamattechan
  • Favorite album? Tsumanne - Shinsei Kamattechan
  • Favorite genre(s)? Hmm, don't know if I really have a favorite genre. Experimental maybe. I like stuff that feels unique.
  • What's in your current playlist? Suiyoubi no Campanella, daoko, Izumi Macra, Shinsei Kamattechan always
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran Does Shiina Ringo count?
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Oomori Seiko
  • Best Perfume member? Not a big fan
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? Ehhhh, I like stuff that BiS has contributed to, like the new Vampillia album and the collaboration with Hijokaidan
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? Zero
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Capsule, Kyary, Perfume.
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? What's a kpop?.

Infinite

Questions sound good to me, maybe one about a favourite band would be good too? I know you can put them as a favourite artist but still.

That seems like a good idea actually. Also though about including flavor of the month questions. For example "thoughts on baby metal and their unexpected western popularity". Should also have a question in there about vocaloids too.

I wish we could post these in the OP... Too bad the OP abandoned us.

But we can pm a mod to fix the OP. We just have to prepare the rewrites. I'm up for the task tbh just need ideas on what to include in it.

Also, I really like the idea of an "essential" list. I was thinking of doing one myself.

Yeah. Like I said I have a small list I'm sitting on right now but we can all work on it together. I'll post the list I made so far soon

And since the questions we do have are well received I'll post my answers in a few.

• What country do you currently call home? US of A, NorCal.
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know my friend Chris posted a link to Scandal on Facebook. Didn't necessarily latch onto them, but somehow found negoto and tricot and at that point I was interested in Japanese music as a whole.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? I took up to Japanese 3 in college so far, so I can make out a few things here and there but it's not really important to me. Sometimes I look for translations if for some reason the lyrics seem really compelling.
  • Favorite artist? right now, malegoat.
  • Favorite album? malegoat - to face the music.
  • Favorite genre(s)? hardcore, emo/post-hardcore, indie/math/post-rock, various types of metal, getting more into the newer jazzy scene.
  • What's in your current playlist? in the past 24 hours I have listened to naan, OVUM, miaou, sora, malegoat, PENS+, folio, &#30813;&#23376;&#36234;&#12375;&#12398;&#26292;&#36208;, Cowpers, Spiral Chord, NAHT, Play Dead Season, the cabs.
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc. Kaela Kimura far and away, although I haven't explored artists of this type in depth.
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? definitely tricot.
  • Best Perfume member? Nocchi I guess.
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? I don't really have an opinion on the idol thing.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? see above.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse had to Google this guy. I don't know.
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? ...

don't really have a problem with the questions but I think too much is being assumed about peoples' knowledge of idol music lol. I've been here for a while and I'm still lost on it. If someone is coming into J-music truly cold, then obviously they won't have a clue. Also, for the purposes of cuing regulars of this thread what to recommend a newbie, I think it would be good to at least ask a question like, who are your favorite artists/bands outside of Japan?

I'm willing to chime in on the albums list once a draft has been presented.

Infinite

don't really have a problem with the questions but I think too much is being assumed about peoples' knowledge of idol music lol. I've been here for a while and I'm still lost on it. If someone is coming into J-music truly cold, then obviously they won't have a clue. Also, for the purposes of cuing regulars of this thread what to recommend a newbie, I think it would be good to at least ask a question like, who are your favorite artists/bands outside of Japan?

I'm willing to chime in on the albums list once a draft has been presented.

Maybe we can lose the second question about akb48 and Johnny's but you won't know if people like idol music if you didn't ask. I have friends who strictly listen to idol pop, utada ayumi etc. and they would be introduced to a lot more Japanese music by reading this thread.

Also here's the list I made in no particularly order just numbered them to see how many albums I had:
Essential Japanese Albums

1. Luminous Orange - Drop You Vivid Colors
Genre: shoegaze

2. Cornelius - Fantasma
Genre: Shibuya-kei

3. Number Girl - num heavy metallic
Genre: post-hardcore

4. Citrus - wispy no mercy
Genre: indie-pop

5. Sonic Coaster Pop - super miracle circuit
Genre: pico-pop

6. Bloodthirsty Butchers - Kocorono
Genre: punk

7. Sparta Locals - sun sun sun
Genre: post-new wave

8. Sheena Ringo - KZK
Genre: alternative

9. Zazen Boys - Zazen Boys 2
Genre: math rock

10. Shugo Takomura - port entropy
Genre: indie-pop

11. Pizzicato 5 - Made in USA

12. Jun togawa - tamahime sama
Genre: pop

13. Supercar - high vision
Genre: shoegazing

14. Towa tei - last century modern

15. Cowpers - lost

16. The Pillows - Happy Bivouac
Genre: alternative rock

17. Capsule - Fruit Clippers
Genre: electronic

18. Takako Minekawa - Fun 9
Genre: Shibuya-kei/Dream-pop

19. Melt Banana - Fetch
Genre: noise-rock

20. Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Genre: instrumental hip-hop

21. mass of the fermenting dregs - self titled LP

22. Perfume - Level 3
Genre: Electronic/pop

23. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
Genre: noise-rock

24. Boris - Akuma no Uta
Genre: metal/experimental

Kurita

-France
    -I guess it was L'Arc-en-Ciel's OP for GTO but I didn't like it that much. It just made me realize that, hey, there's music in Japan!
    -Both. I'm learning Japanese so I can understand some lyrics but at the end of the day I just love the way it sounds.
  • Favorite artist?
    -ELLEGARDEN, definitely. The band that made me fall in love with Japanese music. The vocalist Takeshi Hosomi is honestly a role model to me.
  • Favorite album?
    -ELLEGARDEN - Don't Trust Anyone But Us
  • Favorite genre(s)?
    -Rock, rock, rock, rock. I can dig a few rap, pop and electro artists but 98% of my library is rock.
    -The latest releases from Nothing's Carved In Stone, &#12422;&#12428;&#12427;, The Cheserasera, &#12466;&#12473;&#12398;&#26997;&#12415;&#20057;&#22899;, &#39640;&#27211;&#20778;, Alaska Jam, androp...
    Always some good ol' ELLEGARDEN, &#12473;&#12488;&#12524;&#12452;&#12486;&#12490;&#12540;, the HIATUS, ART-SCHOOL, KANA-BOON, KEYTALK...
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc.
    -No opinion.
    -Definitely KANA-BOON. Totally took me by surprise last year, in my eyes they're the best new rock band in a long time. They're already one of my all time favorite bands and I'm sure they'll become big stars. Big names like Gotch from Ajikan or Ichiro from Sakanaction praise them.
  • Best Perfume member?
    -See my avatar.
    -Arashi. Sakurai <3
    -No real opinion, I just listen to their music and doesn't really care about what's behind the scenes. I get that they're almost like robots made for entertainment but that doesn't bother me. Maybe Arashi are real dicks in real life but as long as they're cool dudes on TV and during concerts I'm fine.
    -Perfume > the rest, I don't like his other projects that much.
    -No opinion.
There you go.

Infinite

Changes I'm making to the list based on the general feedback

- Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment?
- Thoughts on Kpop in Japan

+ What's your favorite Japanese band?
+ Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
+ New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?

Now for me to answer them

America. More specifically Brooklyn, NY
    I think the anime Fooly Cooly just drove me to check out the pillows and from there I explored the industry more
    I'm not that fluent in Japanese yet but I use the songs to understand the language more.
  • Favorite artist?
    Mukai Shutoku and Sheena Ringo. Can't pick just one
  • Favorite album?
    Num-Heavy Metallic by Number Girl, Drop You Vivid Colors by Luminous Orange, Sun Sun Sun by Sparta Locals, and Adult by Tokyo Jihen. Can't pick one :p
  • What's your favorite Japanese band
    Number Girl
  • Favorite genre(s)?
    Indie-pop, Dream-pop, Shoegaze, Noise-rock, Electronic, post-Punk/hardcore, hip-hop
    A lot of vaporwave, especia, sayoko daisy, Kero Kero Bonito, Kaela Kimura, Sparta Locals, &#12401;&#12356;&#12401;&#12356;&#12391;&#12363;&#32654;, Recent Cornelius
  • Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
    http://www.last.fm/user/maho_shojo_aki, I'll share my soundcloud upon request]
    Kaela Kimura
    Seiko Oomori, Sayoko Daisy, Seiho, Metome, Yeye
  • New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?
    Sayoko Daisy, Sayuu, Fairy Floss, Kero Kero Bonito, Randes Vouz
  • Best Perfume member?
    Nocchi got this. Free.
    Tie between Berryz Koubou and Morning Musume. Favorite members are Momoko Tsugunaga and Iikubo Haruna
    Capsule > Perfume > Coltemönikha > KPP > His work with Meg

tatsuki

I hated on AKB despite enjoying a few songs now and then until Sashihara Rino won the election and she's such a great personality and especially refreshing as a member of this dynasty that it's impossible not to follow her activities and as a result I know and follow the group more now.

21sasshi.gif

Kurita

What's your favorite Japanese band?
-Still ELLEGARDEN :3

Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
- http://www.last.fm/user/Kuritaa

New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?
-KANA-BOON, FOLKS, &#31354;&#24819;&#22996;&#21729;&#20250;, &#12498;&#12488;&#12522;&#12456;, &#12422;&#12428;&#12427;, The Cheserasera, &#12472;&#12521;&#12501;&#12509;&#12483;&#12488;, &#12501;&#12524;&#12487;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463;, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, &#12508;&#12540;&#12523;&#12474;, HAPPY, Suck a Stew Dry, ircle, &#24863;&#35226;&#12500;&#12456;&#12525;, &#22812;&#12398;&#26412;&#27671;&#12480;&#12531;&#12473;, SANABAGUN, &#12461;&#12517;&#12454;&#12477;&#12493;&#12467;&#12459;&#12511;, &#12381;&#12428;&#12391;&#12418;&#19990;&#30028;&#12364;&#32154;&#12367;&#12394;&#12425;, &#12486;&#12473;&#12521;&#12399;&#27875;&#12363;&#12394;&#12356;&#12290;&#12489;&#12521;&#12510;&#12481;&#12483;&#12463;&#12450;&#12521;&#12473;&#12459;, Kidori Kidori, &#12495;&#12531;&#12469;&#12512;&#12465;&#12531;&#12516;...

Blablurn

Ayumi Hamasaki brought me to J-Pop in 2003. It was a glorious time. But I'm all K-Pop now.

I still have nostalgic feelings for Ayu tho. I enjoyed the recent album.

• What country do you currently call home? USA
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know too long ago to remember
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? Understand some of it. Not hard to find translated lyrics though.
  • Favorite artist? miwa
  • Favorite album? Guitarium by miwa
  • Favorite genre(s)? POP, ROCK
  • What's in your current playlist? Mostly miwa, Leo Ieiri and BABYMETAL
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc. eh
  • Best Perfume member? Don't really like Perfume
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? HKT48, Yabuki Nako
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? I like AKB48, don't really have an opinion on Johnny's
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? Needs more Crayon Pop

There you go.

Larsa

• What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know Anime, I guess.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? If I don't understand something just by listening to it and it's something I listen to a lot I will look them up and try to translate them, great for Japanese practice.
  • What's your favorite Japanese band? Shinsei Kamattechan
  • Favorite album? Tsumanne - Shinsei Kamattechan
  • Favorite genre(s)? Hmm, don't know if I really have a favorite genre. Experimental maybe. I like stuff that feels unique.
  • What's in your current playlist? Suiyoubi no Campanella, daoko, Izumi Macra, Shinsei Kamattechan always
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran Does Shiina Ringo count?
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Oomori Seiko
  • Best Perfume member? Not a big fan
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? Ehhhh, I like stuff that BiS has contributed to, like the new Vampillia album and the collaboration with Hijokaidan
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? Zero
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Capsule, Kyary, Perfume.
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? What's a kpop?.
Favorite artist?
Was Shiina Ringo (pls give me another KZK), but nowadays probably Oomori Seiko
Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
http://www.last.fm/user/larsmartin92
New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?
&#27700;&#26332;&#26085;&#12398;&#12459;&#12531;&#12497;&#12493;&#12521;(Suiyoubi no Campanella), &#12504;&#12489;&#12525;&#12513;&#12523;&#12504;&#12531;(Hedoromeruhen), &#29577;&#25163;&#21021;&#32654;(Tamate Hatsumi)

I didn't really like We Don't Stop at first. I let it grow on me though. I also didn't really care for her image while she was promoting it. That's something very minor though.

Wait, hold up, - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-d72Xi6ri4 you didn't enjoy the sexy look?

• What country do you currently call home? - England
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know - Pretty sure it was Namie, Hide & Seek
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? Some I understand, mostly for the sound.
  • Favorite artist? Namie Amuro
  • Favorite album? At the moment it's STYLE (by Namie)
  • Favorite genre(s)? R&B/Hip-Hop/Pop, Soul
  • What's in your current playlist? Don't have a playlist.
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc. Namie
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Don't have one, unless Itano Tomomi counts
  • Best Perfume member? All of them
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? - Are we counting Perfume as idol?, otherwise I don't follow idol music anymore.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? Liked AKB48 because of Itano Tomomi (discovered AKB through her) now she's left i don't keep up with them.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse Perfume > I don't listen to the others
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? - Cash grabs.

Mentions go out to Kana, BRIGHT (Still sad about that one) Matsushita Yuya, M-Flo, miwa, CK, that one track of Weaver and others I can't think of atm.

I like that list, it's spread around quite well. I nominate:

toe - The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety
genre: math/progressive/post-rock

LITE - Phantasia

MONO - You Are There
genre: post-rock

Mouse on the Keys - An Anxious Object
genre: jazz/jazz fusion

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (can't find a link unfortunately)
genre: psych/prog rock/proto-metal

Envy - All the Footprints You've Ever Left and the Fear Expecting Ahead
genre: post-hardcore/screamo

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
genre: black/avant-garde metal

Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness
genre: melodic death metal

this was pretty hard to do. Just trying to represent some different sounds. I feel like I'm stepping on a lot of other bands' toes, though. Maybe if we do essentials by genre, we can be more inclusive and expand a little. Don't wanna blow up the OP with too much information but it would be nice to be as comprehensive as possible.

MezzoForte I hope this photo is enough for you :lol

awesome! And of course it's good enough haha, not gonna ask you to lay them all out just for me. Very nice pickups.

Kansoku

Changes I'm making to the list based on the general feedback

- Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment?
- Thoughts on Kpop in Japan

+ What's your favorite Japanese band?
+ Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
+ New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?

I agree, but I think there should be also favorites form outside Japan, as Mezzo said.
And separate the top list in genres would be good, at least into Pop/Rock/"Obscure" (more specific genres).

I would add:
  • androp - anew (J-Rock)
  • HaKU - Simulated Reality (Math-Rock?)
  • indigo la End - &#28186;&#12395;&#12390; (Inde-Rock?)
  • MEG - CONTINUE (J-Pop)
  • té - &#12422;&#12360;&#12395;&#12289;&#23494;&#24230;&#12398;&#24187;&#24819;&#12399;&#32187;&#12403;&#12289;&#36428;&#36361;&#12417;&#12367;&#19990;&#30028;&#12399;&#26126;&#26085;&#12434;&#12302;&#24536;&#21364;&#12303;&#12377;&#12290;(Post-Rock)
  • tricot - T H E (Math-Rock)
  • &#12450;&#12523;&#12459;&#12521; - &#12489;&#12521;&#12510; or &#12416;&#12395;&#12416;&#12395;&#12398;&#27193;(Punk?)
  • &#12365;&#12398;&#12371;&#24093;&#22269; - eureka (Shoegaze/Indie Rock)
  • &#12466;&#12473;&#12398;&#26997;&#12415;&#20057;&#22899; - &#36362;&#12428;&#12394;&#12356;&#12394;&#12425;&#12289;&#12466;&#12473;&#12395;&#12394;&#12387;&#12390;&#12375;&#12414;&#12360;&#12424; (Have no fucking idea)
  • &#12469;&#12459;&#12490;&#12463;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531; - DocumentaLy (Indie Rock/Electronic)
  • &#20955;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#26178;&#38632; - i'mperfect (Post-Hardcore)
  • &#26481;&#20140;&#37202;&#21520;&#24231; - Crystalize (Shoegaze)

Infinite

I like that list, it's spread around quite well. I nominate:

toe - The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety

LITE - Phantasia

MONO - You Are There
genre: post-rock

Mouse on the Keys - An Anxious Object
genre: jazz/jazz fusion

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (can't find a link unfortunately)
genre: psych/prog rock/proto-metal

Envy - All the Footprints You've Ever Left and the Fear Expecting Ahead
genre: post-hardcore/screamo

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
genre: black/avant-garde metal

Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness
genre: melodic death metal

this was pretty hard to do. Just trying to represent some different sounds. I feel like I'm stepping on a lot of other bands' toes, though. Maybe if we do essentials by genre, we can be more inclusive and expand a little. Don't wanna blow up the OP with too much information but it would be nice to be as comprehensive as possible.

awesome! And of course it's good enough haha, not gonna ask you to lay them all out just for me. Very nice pickups.

I definitely agree with Toe, Mono, Lite, and Envy being included. Admittedly not familiar with the others though I'll take your word on them. We could organize by genre but I'm not sure how that's gonna look when you get down to sub sub genres and the really experimental dudes. Just more simpler to do a straight up list for now. Maybe we could offer some "see alsos" with each recommendation . For example:

Luminous Orange - Drop Your Vivid Colors
Genre: Shoegaze
Like this? Also check out: Coaltar of the Deepers, Condor44, cruyff in the bedroom, My dear dead girlfriend

EDIT: Asking about music you like outside of the Japanese music industry wrecks the point of the thread.

Kurita

Maybe a top 5/10 albums for each member? I mean everybody has his/her favorites so it could be a cool way to show the diversity of J-Music like this.

Top Bottom