• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Infinite

Maybe a top 5/10 albums for each member? I mean everybody has his/her favorites so it could be a cool way to show the diversity of J-Music like this.

not to shoot that down but idk how i feel about that. Like the idea of the list should be essentials; stuff you genuinely feel people should check out if they want an idea of what's good in the industry. So that may or may not include personal favorites. Personal favs from each member can be it's own segment or section. Or something like that

Asking about music you like outside of the Japanese music industry wrecks the point of the thread.

well, the purpose of the question is to let the individual express their musical identity with names rather than genres. Some people aren't good at articulating what kind of music they like by just saying oh I like rock music. It's not to detract from Japanese music discussion, in fact it's to start conversations about Japanese bands of a similar sound. It's no different from someone coming in and saying something like, "I'm looking for bands like Cap'n Jazz and Algernon Cadwallader, any recommendations?" In that case, I would recommend malegoat. Again, I thought the questions were mainly addressed to people who were new to Japanese music.

about the genres, I think your idea will work OK. The important thing is just getting names out there and giving people some real playlist time.

Peru

not to shoot that down but idk how i feel about that. Like the idea of the list should be essentials; stuff you genuinely feel people should check out if they want an idea of what's good in the industry. So that may or may not include personal favorites. Personal favs from each member can be it's own segment or section. Or something like that

Point is all you'll get is personal favs anyway. No one's going to list records they don't love.

Infinite

Point is all you'll get is personal favs anyway. No one's going to list records they don't love.

I'm all for all of us submitting a small list of records and then figuring out what gets on the list from there. I assumed that was going to be the case to begin with. Kurita propose that we simply have everyone submit their favorite albums.

well, the purpose of the question is to let the individual express their musical identity with names rather than genres. Some people aren't good at articulating what kind of music they like by just saying oh I like rock music. It's not to detract from Japanese music discussion, in fact it's to start conversations about Japanese bands of a similar sound. It's no different from someone coming in and saying something like, "I'm looking for bands like Cap'n Jazz and Algernon Cadwallader, any recommendations?" In that case, I would recommend malegoat. Again, I thought the questions were mainly addressed to people who were new to Japanese music.

The purpose of the questions was to be an icebreaker for discussion into the thread. Yeah it can also address people who are new to Japanese music. You make a good point though. How would you word the question?

The purpose of the questions was to be an icebreaker for discussion into the thread. Yeah it can also address people who are new to Japanese music. You make a good point though. How would you word the question?

now that I'm thinking about it, a question that could apply to posters both new and old in this thread would be something like: are there any non-Japanese artists/bands you're interested in finding Japanese parallels to?

Kansoku

I really like the "see also:".
And as for the listing, we could have everyone submit a list of albums, we put that together, and everyone votes on the ones they feel should be on the top, and pick the most voted. Maybe do a system of "Do you agree? Yes | No | Don't know" where yes gives it +1, No gives it -1 and Don't know gives it 0. (This is because, for example, I don't like rap/hip-hop so I don't know what is good, and I don't want to remove genuinely good albums for those who like genre from the top, so I would give it a Don't know).

Infinite

now that I'm thinking about it, a question that could apply to posters both new and old in this thread would be something like: are there any non-Japanese artists/bands you're interested in finding Japanese parallels to?

And as for the listing, we could have everyone submit a list of albums, we put that together, and everyone votes on the ones they feel should be on the top, and pick the most voted. Maybe do a system of "Do you agree? Yes | No | Don't know" where yes gives it +1, No gives it -1 and Don't know gives it 0. (This is because, for example, I don't like rap/hip-hop so I don't know what is good, and I don't want to remove genuinely good albums for those who like genre from the top, so I would give it a Don't know).

I like both of these suggestions.

Hi, I'm looking for a J-Rap mixtape that my friend told me about which was released back in ~2011 but seems to have completely disappeared from the internet. I was hoping that you guys in here might be a bit more knowledgeable about where to find it or at least what happened to it.

The mixtape in question is "Service Time" by RANL and was released for free a few years ago but any method of getting it seems to be completely gone. It seems that there were only ever two copies of it ever uploaded (both to mediafire, both now gone) and there don't seem to be any mirrors of it whatsoever, anywhere. Pretty much every site that claims to have streamable tracks just pops up YouTube videos and since there were only like three tracks ever uploaded, most of the links are blank or redirect to the same video.

The page it was on when it was originally released is now gone, but there is a Wayback Machine snapshot of it here, if that helps anything.

I hope this is okay to ask about since it was released for free.

tatsuki

Wait, hold up, - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-d72Xi6ri4 you didn't enjoy the sexy look?
knishino1.gif

I didn't like that hairstyle at all. Evan making that gif was hard.

I just think she can look much better.

Skinpop

• What country do you currently call home? Sweden
  • What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know
    3rd year junior high me and some friends took private lessons in japanese from a japanese lady. One day she lent us a cd with some cool jpop music on it(like sobakasu!). The unusual style of the music blew me away.
    At the same time(this was around 2000), there was a home page, I think it might have been called audio galaxy, sound galaxy or something like that. You could download music from it and it was really good for japanese(maybe all?) music. The cool thing was that it linked you to similar bands and artists, so you could easily find lots of stuff you'd never thought to search out on your own. Me and my friend would spend evenings searching for the artists on the cd to try and find their albums. We'd then randomly click on and listen to related artists, through this we came across l'arc en ciel and were both instantly hooked.
    We even somehow managed to download almost all their music videos using obscure irc channels, direct connect and other file sharing services from that era.

• Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound?
    yup, lived a couple of years in japan and speak fluently most of the time
  • Favorite artist?
    Outside of jazz and electronica I don't listen much to music these days. I do like perfume though. Mono is like my top favorite band for the last decade.
    Historically it would be l'arc, but I can't stand them now.

• Favorite album?
    don't really have one.
  • Favorite genre(s)?
    jazz/electronica
  • What's in your current playlist?
    too much to detail here, but I recently added the cowboy bebop soundtrack
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc.
    Hamasaki I guess. Her music is very nostalgic to me. I never liked Utada and the image of her they tried to sell with her living in new york and all that. namie amuro just bores me and her music is too melodramatic. Not really a fan of any of them though.

Edit misread question I think.
    Ozaki Yutaka is a given here
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs?
    GOLDEN BOMBER?(though I've only heard memeshikute)
    nah not really
    I guess karyu? Thing is I rarely seek out new music, so I don't even know much about that stuff for the last few years.

• Best Perfume member?
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member?
    megumi
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment?
    I know a japanese actress. From her I've heard all about how their agencies work... well, it's disgusting and especially for tv/film it's ruining the creative output so my thoughts on it is that it sucks.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse
    perfume, kpp. havn't listened to capsule for years so don't really know how I'd rank them.
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market?
    I dislike kpop. It's like all the bad stuff in jpop.. but none of the good. I'm just not a big fan of korea, except for their food... which often tastes better in japan anyway :p
    like their people though!

Aizo

Banned

I agree with this.

Xizk

What country do you currently call home?
Sweden
What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know
I heard L'arc~en~Ciel Niji in the Kenshin movie around the year 2000 and was hooked.
Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound?
I understand most of it but I still have some gaps to fill.
Favorite artist?
Nakajima Takui. Used to be Gackt but haven't liked his songs since Crescent.
Favorite album?
Dune by L'arc
What's your favorite Japanese band
L'arc
Favorite genre(s)?
Probably Pop-Rock. Not good at identifying genres.
What's in your current playlist?
Mostly older J-Rock albums with a little K-pop mixed in. Perfume and Kyary.
Do you have a last.fm or soundcloud? mind sharing it?
Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru,
Utada
Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs?
Don't have one
New up and comers you think people should keep on eye on?
See above
Best Perfume member?
Kashiyuka before she got the hideous bangs
What's your favorite group idol group and member?
Don't have a favorite group but I like Shimazaki Haruka from AKB48
Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse
Perfume>Yasutaka(Liar Game OST too good)>Kyary>Capsule

Aizo

Banned
People here rally like L'arc huh.
Lots of nostalgia for me. To decide my favorite album, I checked which album had the most plays on my computer out of Japanese bands I listen to. The first bands I listened to were UVERworld, Asian Kung Fu Generation, and L'Arc~en~Ciel—back when I was in elementary school—so I feel a bit sentimental towards them.

Infinite

I agree, but I think there should be also favorites form outside Japan, as Mezzo said.
And separate the top list in genres would be good, at least into Pop/Rock/"Obscure" (more specific genres).

I would add:
  • androp - anew (J-Rock)
  • HaKU - Simulated Reality (Math-Rock?)
  • indigo la End - 渚にて (Inde-Rock?)
  • MEG - CONTINUE (J-Pop)
  • té - ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Post-Rock)
  • tricot - T H E (Math-Rock)
  • アルカラ - ドラマ or むにむにの樹(Punk?)
  • きのこ帝国 - eureka (Shoegaze/Indie Rock)
  • ゲスの極み乙女 - 踊れないなら、ゲスになってしまえよ (Have no fucking idea)
  • サカナクション - DocumentaLy (Indie Rock/Electronic)
  • 凛として時雨 - i'mperfect (Post-Hardcore)
  • 東京酒吐座 - Crystalize (Shoegaze)

Would you mind using the romanized name for all these? I'm putting together a huge list of current suggestions.

If anyone wants to make suggestions please do so. Kurita, im very much interested in what you have to suggests as with others.

Kansoku

Man, screw you :<
Those vinyls look damn good...

Would you mind using the romanized name for all these? I'm putting together a huge list of current suggestions.

If anyone wants to make suggestions please do so. Kurita, im very much interested in what you have to suggests as with others.

in order, from to to bottom:
indigo la End - Nagisa nite
té - Yueni, mitsudo no gensou wa hokorobi, yoromeku sekai wa ashita wo "boukyaku"su.
Arukara - Dorama or Muni Muni no Ki
Kinoko Teikoku - eureka
Gesu no Kiwami Otome - Odorenai nara, Gesu ni natteshimaeyo
Sakanakushon (Sakanaction) - DocumentaLy
Rin (or Ling) toshite Shigure - i'mperfect
Tokyo Shoegazer - Crystalize

LayLa

Wait, there's a Tricot vinyl LP? This is the first I've heard of it, and I've intentionally looked to see if such a thing exists before >.<

Sick collection. Shit blowing up my mobile connection though

thanks, and sorry haha I just had to have them all taken individually. I'm kind of a presentation monster when it comes to pick ups.

Man, screw you :<
Those vinyls look damn good...

Wait, there's a Tricot vinyl LP? This is the first I've heard of it, and I've intentionally looked to see if such a thing exists before >.<

actually I was surprised about them too, but if you go to tricot's website and check their discography page you'll see that they have a separate entry for everything they ever put out, including CD and vinyl re-issues.

I love this type of thing so :p

What country do you currently call home?

USA

What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know:

Kingdom Hearts came out when I started high school and I followed it from announcement to release. However there was an article in I think Playstation Magazine at the time of its announcement about the singer of the opening Utada Hikaru. So #hipster me checked out her songs online before the game dropped and I fell in love with her first album right away. That started it.

Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound?:

Both. I just recently decided to actually want to learn the language but I always had a love for it. Learning random phrases and what not along the way.

Favorite artist?

Shinna Ringo, Shimizu Shota, Hideaki Tokunaga, Ohyama Yurika, Sandime J Soul Brothers, Tatsu Yamashita, Aimer, Paris Match, and a bunch more!

Favorite album?

Tokyo Jihen - Adult

Favorite genre(s)?

Jazz, R&B, Rap, Rock, Island Music... well all of it except country to be honest.

What's in your current playlist?

J Soul Brothers, Tatsu Yamashita, Aimer, Paris Match, Ohyama Yurika, DJ Sasa (Okinawa music dj), AKB48, SKE48, NMB48, SoulJa,ect.

Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc.

Utada Hikaru and Tatsu Yamashita

Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs?

Not sure how new she is but Aimer has blown me away since Re:I AM

Best Perfume member?

uhh the one with short hair I guess

What's your favorite group idol group and member?

NMB48 and the whole 48 group family in general. Member, Yamamoto Sayaka (NMB48 Captain) and Matsui Rena (SKE48 top member)

Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment?

Love the whole AKB family, their songs are hit or miss, tons of misses lately, but they are constantly entertaining. Johnny's... ugh. They seriously need to train their people to sing... or dance... or act... or something! they have tons of people who are not very talented outside variety shows. I feel like the company could do something awesome but they are too busy making girly boy bands, and under anyone's radar girl groups. Edge it up Johnny's! make a Japanese 2PM or something. Tired of looking at these generic dudes they are pushing out.

Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse.

I like capsule so that first... everything else below.

Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market?:

I like K-Pop as well. It's a nice change to get some more... relateable? music once and awhile while also being foreign. I will also admit they do a better job at hyping, producing, and pushing out music than Jpop. Some major talent over there and its no surprise that Japan has taken a few artists whole-heartedly, similar to the rest of Asia. I really feel Japan could learn a lot from K-pop in how to make music more fun and engaging as well as visual. It would be nice to see some Japanese acts with real vocal talent and showman ship go mainstream. We know the indie artists and what not are godlike but... Arashi, SMAP, Kiss my ft2 (terrible name) ect. don't hold a candle to k-pop male groups like EXO, 2PM, 2AM, ect. ect. Even if the songs are edited to hell and back, just like jpop, they just don't sound or look... talented imo. Same issue for the girl groups. I don't want copy cat, sexy girl groups like all kpop but it would be nice to see a girl group in japan with the vocal talent of like... Sistar's Hyolin personally. In general for me K-pop is just "Fun" where J-pop kinda lacks that most of the time.

That said K-pop can learn from jpop as well in that learning to differentiate acts and members would go a long way. Still to this day I cannot tell most of the k-pop acts apart visually or vocally in some cases. I hate to admit it whenever I hit the kpop thread here and see the daily pic spam... most of those chicks all look exactly alike which is pretty sad imo. In general though, I'd say both mirror their current cultures respectively, VERY MUCH.

Kpop is fine by me in the Japanese market. If they start to mimic each other or one side ect. Fine as long as its balanced. Also the exposure that not everyone is all bad on both sides does not hurt.

Infinite

^ Interesting answers. I find myself agreeing with some of your points on kpop. I don't really mess with kpop anymore because the fandom ruined it for me but I did feel like they were on more average more talented than j-pop groups and such. But at the same time I found myself more into the jpop offerings. kpop atm sounds like 90s and early 2000s urban radio. Jpop musically is somewhat less homogenized. idk

Kurita

So my "essentials" list will be divided in two parts (bear in my mind that it's focused on rock, other people in this thread are more apt than me to talk about other genres).

First I'd like to talk about bands that emerged in the early 2000s (the albums will not necessarily be the ones they released back then though), I'd say that it was the start of a new era, and these bands are still seen as heavyweights on the rock scene nowadays. Most of these guys were good friends, there was a feeling of camaraderie and I think it's one thing that I really love about the rock scene in Japan.
I'll put the original names of the bands/albums in parenthesis.
ELLEGARDEN - Don't Trust Anyone But Us
Straightener - CREATURES (&#12473;&#12488;&#12524;&#12452;&#12486;&#12490;&#12540; - CREATURES)
ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - Magic Disk (ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - &#12510;&#12472;&#12483;&#12463;&#12487;&#12451;&#12473;&#12463;)
ART-SCHOOL - LOVE/HATE
ACIDMAN - A Beautiful Greed
THE BACK HORN - Headphone Children (THE BACK HORN - &#12504;&#12483;&#12489;&#12501;&#12457;&#12531;&#12481;&#12523;&#12489;&#12524;&#12531;)
ORANGE RANGE - MusiQ
Fujifabric - Fujifabric (&#12501;&#12472;&#12501;&#12449;&#12502;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463; - &#12501;&#12472;&#12501;&#12449;&#12502;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463;)
BUMP OF CHICKEN - jupiter
RADWIMPS - X to &#9675; to Tsumi to (RADWIMPS - &#65336;&#12392;&#9675;&#12392;&#32618;&#12392;)
BEAT CRUSADERS - P.O.A. &#65374;POP ON ARRIVAL&#65374;
Supercar - Futurama (I guess they were already popular in the late 90s though)

Second part would be about bands that spawned later and gained in popularity between 2007 and now. I'd say that they're a good representation of what the scene looks like today.
9mm Parabellum Bullet - Termination
Sakanaction - DocumentaLy (&#12469;&#12459;&#12490;&#12463;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531; - DocumentaLy)
KANA-BOON - DOPPEL
Czecho No Republic - MANTLE
KEYTALK - OVERTONE
ONE OK ROCK - Zankyo Reference (ONE OK ROCK - &#27531;&#38911;&#12522;&#12501;&#12449;&#12524;&#12531;&#12473;)
The Mirraz - TOP OF THE FUCK'N WORLD
androp - period
Kyuso Nekokami - Change the World (&#12461;&#12517;&#12454;&#12477;&#12493;&#12467;&#12459;&#12511; - &#12481;&#12455;&#12531;&#12472; &#12470; &#12527;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489;)
Kuso Iinkai - Shu no Kigen (&#31354;&#24819;&#22996;&#21729;&#20250; - &#31278;&#12398;&#36215;&#28304;)
the telephones - Rock Kingdom
[Alexandros] (aka [Champagne]) - Me Do No Karate
CreepHyp - Fukikoboreru Hodo no, Ai, Ai (&#12463;&#12522;&#12540;&#12503;&#12495;&#12452;&#12503; - &#21561;&#12365;&#38646;&#12428;&#12427;&#31243;&#12398;I&#12289;&#21696;&#12289;&#24859;)
the HIATUS - Keeper of The Flame
Nothing's Carved In Stone - Silver Sun
I'd say these last two are special cases since they're more like superbands. Some of their members are from bands that were popular before like ELLEGARDEN, Straightener, THEE MICHELLE GUN ELEPHANT, toe, Tokyo Jihen...

Kurita

Oh god yes, new Straightener album on October 22, called Behind The Scene. It's been 3 years since their last full album so needless to say I'm excited as hell. Thank god they have a single coming next month, it'll be easier to wait until the album.
Love their new picture.
So this year ART-SCHOOL, the HIATUS, Nothing's Carved In Stone have all released new albums, and now it's Straightener. I'm a satisfied fanboy.

Also, got my ticket for ONE OK ROCK's concert in Paris, hell yes!!!!

Skinpop

People here rally like L'arc huh.

like I said, really can't stand them now or for the last 8-9 years. Not that I think they are horrible. I just listened to them far too much, also them growing old and putting out shitty albums didn't help. Still quite like Dune though, although I never listen to it.

L'arc was different enough to be exciting, but not as out there as a lot of other japanese music(at least in the late nineties/early 00's). My parents always thought they were singing in finnish...

Kurita

Bought PENs+ first album, RULES!, and it rules! Totally the kind of rock I dig and since they're almost as young as me I enjoy it even more :lol

Speaking of bands with young members, I listened to HAPPY and Bob is Sick's first albums. Two very different styles but two fine bands.
HAPPY is more indie pop oriented, with synth and the vocalist's warm voice. Not too hipster-ish though so that's a good thing. They clearly want to make you shake your butt while listening to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvTMvI4WDA&list=UUYgQ8GxzblyVcwVSOZ9xvpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBrAGCwkcY&list=UUYgQ8GxzblyVcwVSOZ9xvpg

Bob is Sick is kinda closer to PENs+'s stuff actually. Pop-rock that can go a little into math-rock territory in some songs. Really enjoyed their mini-album, I definitely will listen to it more. Great stuff, a lot of potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7aYouAlR6w

Completely unrelated, SANABAGUN's first album, Son of a Gun, is so good. Seeing their live in the streets of Shibuya made me love them and buy their album without hesitation.
This is some mighty fine hip-hop, really hope they will become big because they're incredibly talented. Some sweet jazz tunes mixed with great vocals, I can't say anything bad about these guys.
Also, I'm their only listener on Last.fm... :lol
Support this band!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9k7xlcKwhU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5aa2UkRpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZonAT8ccJ_o

LayLa

actually I was surprised about them too, but if you go to tricot's website and check their discography page you'll see that they have a separate entry for everything they ever put out, including CD and vinyl re-issues.

welp, looks like a Tricot LP is currently on its way through the global post system towards me, thanks for letting me know these were available!

Slowdive

Banned
Sweet!

You want to submit a list or are you cool with everything that's already suggested?

I'm good. I like your list from what I've heard from it, mine would probably have mostly the same stuff. I'd perhaps suggest Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor. (Electronic)

I mostly lurk this thread but I'm a sucker for questions.

• What country do you currently call home? England
  • What got you into Japanese music? I picked up a Polysics album when I was about 15, and then saw Shonen Knife in London. After some digging I came across Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her and then after a while I got into Utada Hikaru and then it just went on.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? Sound.
  • Favorite artist? Either Utada Hikaru or Perfume at the moment, too fickle to stick though
  • Favorite album? The One - Shinichi Osawa
  • Favorite genre(s)? Rock/Electronica
  • What's in your current playlist? Heartsdales, Shinichi Osawa, Utada Hikaru, Perfume, Capsule, Charisma. com, Fantastic Plastic Machine, 80'zKidz, &#30334;&#34442;, mostly.
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran? Does Aiha Higurashi count?
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Charisma. com
  • Best Perfume member? Yuka, I guess.
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? Berryz Koubou, Saki Shimizu, I quite liked short hair back when I listened to them.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? ...
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse? I only know 3 groups he worked with so out of them I would say. Perfume, Capsule, Meg
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? The more music the better, regardless of its origin

XDDX

What country do you currently call home? New Zealand
What got you into Japanese music? Anime openings and endings
Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? Understand lyrics unless it's really crazy
Favorite artist? Sakanaction or Monkey Majik..
Favorite album? Monkey Majik - DNA (I think it's the only album ever where I've loved EVERY song)
Favorite genre(s)? Rock or Electronic
What's in your current playlist? Sakanaction, Monkey Majik, One OK Rock, Androp, Kana-boon, Nico Touches the Walls, Hyadain, Champagne, Moumoon, Granrodeo and other random anime music
Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran? Don't really have one
Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Kana-boon
Best Perfume member? None
What's your favorite group idol group and member? None
Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? None
Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse? No Idea
Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? No idea

Also for essential albums I would recommend some of Monkey Majik's albums, lets just go with Monkey Majik - DNA. Their music is also good for people looking to get into Japanese music since most of their songs have some English in them too. Also didn't see Nico Touches the Walls - Shout to the Walls recommended. I think that's a really good album too. Moumoon - Pain Killer is another one I would recommend, haven't seen this band mentioned here before. Their stuff is super chill though so it might not be for everyone. The other albums have already been mentioned here like stuff by Sakanactions and One ok rock so no need to repeat those.

Kansoku

Moumoon - Pain Killer is another one I would recommend, haven't seen this band mentioned here before. Their stuff is super chill though so it might not be for everyone.

I think 15 Doors is a better album IMO, at least it goes more with my tastes. Pain Killer felt to samey for me.

Kurita

Can my Last.fm bros go here http://www.last.fm/music/+noredirect/PENs%2B, click on "Flag this" and say that PENs+ is the correct name? Thank you :3

Really digging GOLIATH's new mini-album, MOUNTAIN ASH. If you don't know them they're some kind of superband with guys from ART-SCHOOL, FOX LOCO PHANTOM... This disc was supposed to only be sold during live events but they released it on iTunes so that's pretty cool of them. Their music is a bit dark but not too much and they have their fair share of less depressing tracks. Well this one mostly has slow-paced songs but I love this kind of creepy (maybe ominous?) atmosphere they created.
Pretty solid release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJ-UJV8rzI

Top Bottom