• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Meffer

Very interesting, so its up to the magic of 3D+. Thanks for verifying that.

Do you have any comments about fabthegnome situation? He says it's very yaring to him having the 3D effect been adjusted constantly. Hope is a very rare case. Or that he can overcome that problem XD

This interests me a lot.

In the old 3DS you turned the stereoscopic 3D effect because it made you sick in some way or because it bothered you that the effect broke even with the slightest lateral movement? Would be so great if the people that felt sick when using it could enjoy stereo 3D now with this model.

Are you experimenting any advantages by playing Smash in 3D instead of 2D mode?

EDIT: EX TROOPERS.

i remember been interested in the game when it was about to launch in Japan. Seems like anime styled version of Lost Planet and it looks above average in the visual department in terms of 3DS games.

So what's the reason some of you guys say it won't have a chance in hell for a localization. Or why it won't be at all? It is not a quality game?
A couple of reasons is likely that Capcom doesn't want to. Various excuses like changing the soundeffect text to english would be too hard, it's too japanese or the 3DS isn't selling too good (it wasn't selling very well at the time) and such. Besides, it's been awhile since it came out so if Capcom did want to they would done it awhile back.

extralite

Got my white n3DS four days ago. Thanks to Nippon Yasan and FedEx no tax ^_^/ usually it is around 20% in Germany.

I think you will get a customs bill from fedex later. They pay for customs so they can deliver quickly but you will still be asked to pay for it.

In comparison to the old 3DS does the N3DS has a longer viewing distance for the sweetspot? To better explain myself, can you hold the unit farther from your face while maintaining the 3D effect?

Most of the impressions, comments and questions so far had to do more about the viewing angles than the distance of the device from the face. Another interesting thing to test out for those of you that are enjoying your machines.

Meffer

In comparison to the old 3DS does the N3DS has a longer viewing distance for the sweetspot? To better explain myself, can you hold the unit farther from your face while maintaining the 3D effect?

Most of the impressions, comments and questions so far had to do more about the viewing angles than the distance of the device from the face. Another interesting thing to test out for those of you that are enjoying your machines.

I say almost a few or so.

javadoze

EDIT: EX TROOPERS.

i remember been interested in the game when it was about to launch in Japan. Seems like anime styled version of Lost Planet and it looks above average in the visual department in terms of 3DS games.

So what's the reason some of you guys say it won't have a chance in hell for a localization. Or why it won't be at all? It is not a quality game?
The real reason is because all of the "text" in the game is actually stored in the game as art assets, so it would probably be a nightmare to manually edit those files and localize them.

Owari

Still trying to figure out which games to download. I wanted to download Fantasy Life Link but I'm afraid it's going to be too much Japanese text fer me to be able to play. (I can't read Japanese at all) so far I'm going with virtual console games or 3D classics which don't have a lot of text. Also, Smash Bros since the text is not important. I'm assuming ORAS will have an English option like XY? (The demo doesn't, which is concerning) I also wanted to download Falrune cause that music is amazing. I just don't know how much I'll actually be able to understand.

I'm up fer buying any game but I just need to know if I'll be able to play it. Lol

Halabane

Not sure if there is an advantage. I just was amazed I was playing it that way and was enjoying it. By the way the C-stick is a bit of cheat when playing those with out it.

Another good example is Bravely Default which I played with 3d off most of the time and now playing thru the sequel and I keep the 3d on all the time. Some one else in the house was playing smash with it and had the same experience. They are now off importing their own.

Don't think distance has changed...I can see the 3d effect arms length away on my 3ds LL but what has changed is that the new one does not lose the focus when I move it. I did that side by side.

I think there is alot to the individual reactions to this tech because of how people see things in general. I also wonder if they faster processor has anything to do with the system processing the 3d imagery?

Still trying to figure out which games to download. I wanted to download Fantasy Life Link but I'm afraid it's going to be too much Japanese text fer me to be able to play. (I can't read Japanese at all) so far I'm going with virtual console games or 3D classics which don't have a lot of text. Also, Smash Bros since the text is not important. I'm assuming ORAS will have an English option like XY? (The demo doesn't, which is concerning) I also wanted to download Falrune cause that music is amazing. I just don't know how much I'll actually be able to understand.

I'm up fer buying any game but I just need to know if I'll be able to play it. Lol

I'm getting my copy of CoroCoro today with the code for the Japanese ORAS demo. If you're wondering whether to import/download the game(s) upon release, I can definitely five you a heads up on whether there are language options again. But honestly, I can't imagine Game Freak/The Pokemon Company removing the key feature that made faster localization possible (still ticked about customization though.... *puffs cheeks in frustration*)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I think you will get a customs bill from fedex later. They pay for customs so they can deliver quickly but you will still be asked to pay for it.

I called fedex and asked, because nippon yasan wrote "2000yen" on the package for the price.

I won't have to pay anything ^_^

Meffer

I bought LBXW and MH4G on eShop while I imported Youkai Watch 2. For LBXW and YW2 they have a waypoint system that leads you to the next thing to do. Very helpful, I do suggest looking up playthroughs if you get stuck though. Thankfully, there are playthroughs for both on youtube. LBXW is a arena-based action RPG with customizable robots, it's like Custom Robo but more in-depth. The robot models and designs are cool and it's pretty fun. YW2 is a collect monster RPG like Pokemon although it has a different thing going for it is that it has a lot for you to do. And it's quite large with many areas and being able to go back in time doubles the places to go (the areas in the past differ quite a bit from the present). It's easy but it's very charming, funny and fun. And MH is MH, can't go wrong with it.

FSLink

Banned
Not sure if there is an advantage. I just was amazed I was playing it that way and was enjoying it. By the way the C-stick is a bit of cheat when playing those with out it.

Yeah this is silly. If you have it, use it. People who care about using the C-Stick for uncharged smashes and advancing/retreating aerials can wait for the Wii U version or a new 3DS.

Picked up Solitiba and the Zelda Halloween theme today. :D

Impotaku

Would somebody be able to post the link on how to build one of these?

You can do it by changing your router setting but that method is a pain as you have to manually keep changing the mac addresses, if you are willing to spend money then a spillpass pi is a lot better as it automatically cycles through mac addresses every 300 seconds so there is never an 8 hour wait between passes.

Got all the parts and built one myself it's really handy as it means i can play the streetpass games to the fullest and i now actually get data for my Japanese 3DS games.

The guide is here
http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=5

Owari

I bought LBXW and MH4G on eShop while I imported Youkai Watch 2. For LBXW and YW2 they have a waypoint system that leads you to the next thing to do. Very helpful, I do suggest looking up playthroughs if you get stuck though. Thankfully, there are playthroughs for both on youtube. LBXW is a arena-based action RPG with customizable robots, it's like Custom Robo but more in-depth. The robot models and designs are cool and it's pretty fun. YW2 is a collect monster RPG like Pokemon although it has a different thing going for it is that it has a lot for you to do. And it's quite large with many areas and being able to go back in time doubles the places to go (the areas in the past differ quite a bit from the present). It's easy but it's very charming, funny and fun. And MH is MH, can't go wrong with it.

Very informative post! Thank you! I plan on picking up both games ASAP. speaking of which, I find the Jp eshop very hard to navigate. I wanted to download Pokemon Art Academy and some other games and I just can't seem to find anything I'm looking fer. Just finding Sonic 3D Classic was tough. Is there an easier way? Every time I search the games JP name from the wiki page I can't find it. :(

Halabane

Very informative post! Thank you! I plan on picking up both games ASAP. speaking of which, I find the Jp eshop very hard to navigate. I wanted to download Pokemon Art Academy and some other games and I just can't seem to find anything I'm looking fer. Just finding Sonic 3D Classic was tough. Is there an easier way? Every time I search the games JP name from the wiki page I can't find it. :(

I usually use the search by genre in the search menu to the left. That at least reduces the amount of stuff I have to go thru. For some reason the search box does not work right...not sure what I am doing either. I type in pokemon in hiragana and it still does not come up with anything.

Company genre searches works even better if you know you made it.

Halabane

Yeah this is silly. If you have it, use it. People who care about using the C-Stick for uncharged smashes and advancing/retreating aerials can wait for the Wii U version or a new 3DS.

Picked up Solitiba and the Zelda Halloween theme today. :D

Do you really whip the horse to make it go faster?

Meffer

What I did is go at the bottom row and scroll to the option to see uploaded retail games so far. The list is long but you'll find what you'll want eventually. Can't really give more details since I can't access the eshop with my n3ds at the moment. I suggest if you find something you like, add it to your wishlist that way you can bring it up at any time with ease. I do suggest just wondering through the eshop to get an understanding on how to go through it since it's pretty different from ours.

Snaku

Banned
Does Time Travelers come with Club Nintendo points? Trying to figure out which retail game I want to order so I can register a JPN Club Nintendo account.

mrback

Does Time Travelers come with Club Nintendo points? Trying to figure out which retail game I want to order so I can register a JPN Club Nintendo account.

I bought link between worlds & that came with a code & have setup a Club Nintendo account (japanese) follow the guide on the first page. I got stuck on putting the name in katanka & hiragana. managed to use google translate to get something resembling my name in there.

Netto-kun

Woho, finally arrived from Nippon-yasan. Glued screen protectors on it right away and did the fastest system transfer option. C-stick felt a little bit weird in Smash Bros. 3DS, but worked ok in MH4G and E.X. Troopers.

2014-10-20131513.jpg

kubus

My EMS shipment hasnt updated since it left japan on the 14th so... if you added the FedEx fiasco, no so great New 3DS import experience so far ( i ve allways import stuff, but is the first time something so bad is happening to me)
I know I'm always complaining in this thread about my order taking so long but your situation is much worse :(. I really hope the status of your EMS shipment has changed by now and you can at least get one of your New 3DSes without worry soon!

I hope so too. You have waited way too long. I feel really bad for you.
Thanks. Yeah can't wait for this episode to be finally over so I can join in all the fun with the rest :D.

Beckx

After a few days with it, I am just in love with the New 3DS.

I seriously can't believe how good the 3D effect is. Went from never using it to always having it on.

The real reason is because all of the "text" in the game is actually stored in the game as art assets, so it would probably be a nightmare to manually edit those files and localize them.
A couple of reasons is likely that Capcom doesn't want to. Various excuses like changing the soundeffect text to english would be too hard, it's too japanese or the 3DS isn't selling too good (it wasn't selling very well at the time) and such. Besides, it's been awhile since it came out so if Capcom did want to they would done it awhile back.
It's a bit of a shame really since the game seems to have some strong qualities for what little i' ve seen.

Javadose, you means the text bubbles in comic style that appear in dialogue sequences? If those are an art asset im asuming it is because they pop out of the screen when the 3D effect is on. If you are indeed correct is kind of weird Capcom opted to go this way since most of their projects are build with the posibility of a western localization, so doing something that could make it harder seems like an unfortunate miscalculation.
Another good example is Bravely Default which I played with 3d off most of the time and now playing thru the sequel and I keep the 3d on all the time. Some one else in the house was playing smash with it and had the same experience. They are now off importing their own.

I think there is alot to the individual reactions to this tech because of how people see things in general. I also wonder if they faster processor has anything to do with the system processing the 3d imagery?
New processor resources are employed for the camera tracking, not the way the 3D images are generated since the improved effect works with software made at a time most developers didn't new a revision with this type of technology would be released.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of resources of a single core are dedicated to camera tracking.
After a few days with it, I am just in love with the New 3DS.

I seriously can't believe how good the 3D effect is. Went from never using it to always having it on.
The change of heart from some users in regard to the improved 3D effect makes me hopeful that the feature becomes a standard for Nintendo handheld devices. Let's hope impressions keep positive when the console is released in all territories.

extralite

That sounds like a good deal then. I really want one for the head tracking 3D but it'd be my 3rd model and I'm annoyed that I'd again end up paying €600+ on one platform, like with the DS (on the other hand, since my PS3 YLODed I had to buy that one twice too, also putting me at around €600).

So, obviously everyone is hyped for the n3DS right now but is anyone interested in getting a used regular BLUE x BLACK 3DS LL? I still have the box and manual, CN card is already registered/disposed.

Used prices start at 15000 yen on Amazon so I won't ask for more than €110. We can still negotiate on the price.

As for shipping and payment, I'm from Germany so we'll have to check what options are available to get it to your destination.

Please note that I'd want to finish the system transfer first so you'd have to wait for me to order my n3DS and receive it before I can send my old 3DS LL to you.

kubus

My 3DS left customs!!!

It has been there for less than 24 hours o_o. That's a first. Hopefully this means no extra import fees.

Frodo

The change of heart from some users in regard to the improved 3D effect makes me hopeful that the feature becomes a standard for Nintendo handheld devices. Let's hope impressions keep positive when the console is released in all territories.

It would be a shame for Nintendo to finally nail the 3D effect only to discard it a year or two later. I personally love playing games with the 3D on. Can't wait for the n3DS to be officially released this side of the globe.

Zornica

Banned
[...]Javadose, you means the text bubbles in comic style that appear in dialogue sequences? If those are an art asset im asuming it is because they pop out of the screen when the 3D effect is on. If you are indeed correct is kind of weird Capcom opted to go this way since most of their projects are build with the posibility of a western localization, so doing something that could make it harder seems like an unfortunate miscalculation.[...]

or maybe they just did what they should've done for the past 8 years or so: making games they want to make instead of making games people from overseas MIGHT buy.

That being said, extrooper isn't exactly a great game, but the presentation is top notch. I couldn't imagine it being any different. although I don't see why they would have to change the "noise-text". all the cut scenes basically look like an animated manga panel, kinda like comix zone, and last I checked, many manga are still filled with untranslated noises - at least in Europe. translating stuff like that wouldn't make much sense anyway.

kubus

Checked this morning and it seems both AmiAmi and Nippon-Yasan have the newly announced face plates up for preorder. They're 1400 yen a piece at AmiAmi and 1720 yen each at Nippon-Yasan. Think I'll go with Nippon-Yasan as I always have to pay import duties when I order at AmiAmi.

I kinda want to get the Jibanyan faceplate, already have the matching theme :D. The Totakeke and Pokemon plates look really cool too...

Impotaku

They are pretty cheap on amazon, you really should give them a try. If you went via tenso you can mark them right down to totally avoid customs.

mrback

Checked this morning and it seems both AmiAmi and Nippon-Yasan have the newly announced face plates up for preorder. They're 1400 yen a piece at AmiAmi and 1720 yen each at Nippon-Yasan. Think I'll go with Nippon-Yasan as I always have to pay import duties when I order at AmiAmi.

I kinda want to get the Jibanyan faceplate, already have the matching theme :D. The Totakeke and Pokemon plates look really cool too...

Is there anyways of finding out which plates are gloss or matte??? i have the yoshi faceplate which I love but wish it was matte but its glossy (hate glossy stuff)

thanks for the heads up. I want to cop the Kawaii one.

kubus

They are pretty cheap on amazon, you really should give them a try. If you went via tenso you can mark them right down to totally avoid customs.
I didn't know they offered that option! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe this will be a good opportunity to try out the Amazon+Tenso combo then :)

Btw can anyone tell me if the Micro SD card comes preinstalled in the New 3DS? I just realized I don't have the required screwdriver and I'm currently sick at home so can't go out and buy one :(. Really hope I can at least set up the system + do the transfer without needing to unscrew the backplate.

Impotaku

I didn't know they offered that option! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe this will be a good opportunity to try out the Amazon+Tenso combo then :)

Btw can anyone tell me if the Micro SD card comes preinstalled in the New 3DS? I just realized I don't have the required screwdriver and I'm currently sick at home so can't go out and buy one :(. Really hope I can at least set up the system + do the transfer without needing to unscrew the backplate.

Yes when an item arrives at your tenso address you can edit all the details including what kind of item it is and what value you declare it at, obviously this holds risks as if your parcel goes missing you can only claim what you have declared it at however that's pretty rare so it's upto you to decide. Can't remember if you can do it on your first parcel or not, when you set up an account as for the first time they need to confirm your address so until your very first parcel reaches you and they have confirmed delivery some of your account details are locked and not able to be edited but after they have confirmed your parcels are going to the right place they allow you to edit stuff.

As for the N3DS yeah the micro SD is inside the machine, you can do a system transfer right to it without having to take it out.

Chopper

Cross-post from the 30 cents review thread:

Me said:
I would really have liked a some comments about slightly larger screen sizes of the new 3DS and the form factor of both units. As someone who really dislikes the build quality of the previous 3DS incarnations, I really hope this jump is similar to that between DS Lite and DSi. Perhaps some importers can clear that up for me?

The smaller model looks a little smarter than the bigger version, which looks just like the existing XL. The DSi XL was such a glorious piece of hardware, if I felt the new one could even come close to matching it, I would jump on it. As it is, the smaller model looks that much more solid, and if those bigger screens are big enough...

I am also nonethewiser about whether the screen scratching issue is gonna be just as plausible on these new models as they are currently. Is either screen recessed in anyway? Or the stupid borders they keep around them?

kubus

Yes when an item arrives at your tenso address you can edit all the details including what kind of item it is and what value you declare it at, obviously this holds risks as if your parcel goes missing you can only claim what you have declared it at however that's pretty rare so it's upto you to decide. Can't remember if you can do it on your first parcel or not, when you set up an account as for the first time they need to confirm your address so until your very first parcel reaches you and they have confirmed delivery some of your account details are locked and not able to be edited but after they have confirmed your parcels are going to the right place they allow you to edit stuff.

As for the N3DS yeah the micro SD is inside the machine, you can do a system transfer right to it without having to take it out.
Thanks for the informative post! Tenso it is! :)

Halabane

I called fedex and asked, because nippon yasan wrote "2000yen" on the package for the price.

I just got my fedex bill from my playasia order and I owe nothing. I was surprised. They paid for this upfront to not delay me getting the two packages which was explained why the shipping was so fast.

I have a Tenso account but they only offer EMS. Wish they had a fedex option.

It is a shame not every site offers a Fedex option, although it's only my go to choice if the price is nearly the same or lower than EMS shipping.

And my bank situation was solved, so I managed to get the first Taiko no Tatsujin, and a few eshop goodies.

Beckx

Okay I love the new 3D effect so much I'm getting legit mad when I go back to old games and find they never had 3D to start with.

Screw you, Bamco, why did you cheap out on TryAgeSP? I want my 3D gunpla battles!

kubus

Well well well... This was a nice surprise!

Tracking still says the package is on its way to the distribution center so I was caught completely off-guard when the delivery guy showed up at the door and handed me a package from Nippon-Yasan! And best of all: II didn't have to pay anything :D.

I was surprised how small and light the package was. N-Y wrote down a value of €20 (€2 under the limit) and that it contained a "plastic model". Pretty believable. All things considered, I'm really happy with this service and I managed to save so much money so I can't really complain anymore about the delayed shipping.

Unfortunately I don't have a small screwdriver so I can't apply any of the faceplates I got. I only ordered two covers but I'm sure that number will increase very soon :). Hopefully I feel well enough tomorrow to go out and buy the screwdriver.

I'm gonna set up the system now and try to write some more guides for the OP. After that I will do the data transfer. Probably won't be able to toy it with until tomorrow, but that's okay. I'm just really glad it finally arrived.

edit: Oh and just for fun, I made a 3DS family pic! Colors are a bit dark though, I should really fix the lighting in our living room, haha.

Top Bottom