• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Impotaku

YAY N3DS bundle turned up early, went through customs with no charges muwahahaha.
SAM_1187%20res.jpg

SAM_1188%20res.jpg

Halabane

Jealous you got the blue case. They were backorder on that for me and I didn't want to wait a week or two. The new 3ds does not fit in old 3ds cases. Fits okay in xl cases but its not the right fit.

Impotaku

Got everything from Amazon so there were no backorders thankfully, still suprised it turned up this morning i was expecting next week at the earliest. So pleased that customs left it alone i was sure i was going to get busted for tax even with marking down the value on tenso.

Beckx

Yes! all received. Very happy with the Amazon + Tenso combo, should have done this long ago.

B0Jvqj2IcAAD0PM.jpg

Doing system update & transfer now.

Impotaku

Loving the charging stand Beckx, that setup looks nice.

The blue hori case holds the N3DS pretty well, there is room for 3 game carts and they are inserted into the flap of the case there is no way they will ever fall out & be lost. There is about a 10mm gap on each side of the N3DS when in the case so there is some small amount of sideways sliding when it's in the case. I know with my red DS lite that over time the corners had the paint start to wear off where they rubbed the edges of my DS hori case. Might keep it in the little foam bag that the N3DS comes in just to protect the plates from wear.

I don't intend to be treating it roughly so it should hold up ok for my needs. I usually carry it in my backpack when im out so it's going to be well protected anyway.

Finished installing screen protectors and doing the system transfer, lots more options this time around i chose to transfer just the save data & licenses and then redownload all my digital stuff seeing as the N3DS has a faster download speed thankfully i don't have much digital data so it didn't take long, i was worried about my saves and stuff but i discovered that after downloading your games back from the eshop as soon as you open the present it extracts the original save data fom the file on your memory card which was a huge relief. My fantasy life data transferred ok double relieved.

Are there any english FAQs or guides for Youkai Watch? Particularly one that explains the mechanics well. I understand the basic flow of combat already but I want to make sure nothing is going over my head.

Beckx

Are there any english FAQs or guides for Youkai Watch? Particularly one that explains the mechanics well. I understand the basic flow of combat already but I want to make sure nothing is going over my head.

I wrote up a post in the YW2 thread that covered all of the places that I got stuck (I have basic kana skills but very limited vocabulary). I think I linked it on either the first or second page of this thread.

There are a few places that you can get stuck but generally it's pretty straightforward.

If you don't know kana, I highly recommend spending the 3-6 hours to learn them with Heisig's Remembering the Kana book.

And as People's Bureau says, the let's play vids will get you through. Two spots in the game I just couldn't get past without them. But I covered those in my post.

-----------------

System transfer complete! Zelda Halloween theme get!

-----------------

Impotaku, so jealous of your faceplate collection. I am holding off til December, then putting in an order for several.

Impotaku

The main thing about the battle system on YW is the natures of the youkai you befriend, each one that joins you will have a personality. It's like the natures system in pokemon, in YW you can use books on them to change the personality so for example it might have a nature that goes all out when attacking you can use a book to turn it into a support youkai where it will concentrate on healing instead of attacking.

You will discover the natures can be totally different between them even if you have 2 of the same kind.

Impotaku

Took some closer pics of the case incase anyone wanted to see it better. It's a hard foam clamshell type just incase anyone wasn't familiar with hori cases. It has a wonderful metallic blue sheen to the case.

Also shown the flap that holds 3 games it's kind of padded so the games and the N3DS is protected plus it seems to hold the 3DS down a bit when its got 3 games in making it slide around less. Also you insert them from the seam side so they can't fall out which i have had happen with a few of my other cases before.

SAM_1191%20res.jpg

SAM_1192%20res.jpg

SAM_1193%20res.jpg

Halabane

looks like my red version that I got for the original 3ds. I have a new order going in.

You said you used tenos...I stopped using them when they required all that personal information for shipping (due to new laws). I guess I just need to get over it.

The Halloween themes were a surprise. If they plan on doing this for holidays this is going to be fun.

I really like the charge stand and the cover plates. Mario is looking at me now. The color pop from these covers is really nice.

Beckx

they required all that personal information for shipping (due to new laws). I guess I just need to get over it.

It's not so bad. I took a pic of my driver's license, redacted everything (including picture) except the address and the state name & seal, and they were fine with it. They were getting my address either way and the form of the state license is public information, so no big deal. :)

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
My LL came in! Though the tracking says it's still in customs. I'm gonna get some time into Sm4sh today to see how the stick functions with some of my smash friends. I'll try to get some pictures/video.

Aubergine

Neo Member
B0Ku7FFIQAEd3ng.jpg

My Tenso package just came in today, AAAAAAAAAAAH

Already opened my white N3DS, and the Black one is for a friend who imported alongside me. Right now I'm waiting on the system transfer to finish between my Old 3DS LL to the New.

I...I hope I did the transfer right... my knowledge of Japanese is a bit limited. I saw in one of the 注意 where it detailed the 3 options, but then after clicking next it started transferring without letting me choose which option I wanted. I was going to do the computer method, but I'm not 100% what's going on currently. It's probably my nerves and the fact that Nintendo's messages during the transfer seem to inspire paranoia, as it looks like it's just basic system data at the moment, but if anyone can confirm that this sounds like correct procedure, I'd 'preesh.

yankee666

Damn, that sucks :/. Why is it stuck at customs? Hope you get your 3DS soon :(.
I stuck because some stupid contry regulations that make no sense whatsoever. I contacted FeDex and they told me i need to hire a customs broker to release the package. So in resume if i want the 3DS LL i have to pay 70 USD to FedEx for paperwork, 120USD for the broker and 100USD For taxes, plus 245USD for the 3DS and shipping, grand total 535USD. I send it back to nippon-yassan,i hope they refund me the money soon. The EMS one isnt here yet :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for clarifying, I see under the manual adjustment option there are settings ranging from -1 to +1 any idea what these are doing exactly?
Doesn't say anything specific, just to adjust the value until the top screen image looks clear to you. For me it seems -1 gets a little fuzzier/out of focus and +1 is a smidgeon sharper. If I had to guess it might be adjusting the default angles for each eye it projects to.

So in resume if i want the 3DS LL i have to pay 70 USD to FedEx for paperwork, 120USD for the broker and 100USD For taxes, plus 245USD for the 3DS and shipping, grand total 535USD.
That is absolutely insane, hope you have better luck with the EMS one.

Rich!

I stuck because some stupid contry regulations that make no sense whatsoever. I contacted FeDex and they told me i need to hire a customs broker to release the package. So in resume if i want the 3DS LL i have to pay 70 USD to FedEx for paperwork, 120USD for the broker and 100USD For taxes, plus 245USD for the 3DS and shipping, grand total 535USD. I send it back to nippon-yassan,i hope they refund me the money soon. The EMS one isnt here yet :(

what the fuck

and I thought the UK was bad for customs. That shit would never happen here. Most I've had to pay is £30 on an XRGB Mini.

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
My bank refuses transactions that are routed through the U.K. and they refuse to lift the ban despite me calling twice. So while I have Sm4sh on Cart I don't have access to the e-shop until I get a new bank.

How seriously obnoxious. I basically have a $220 paperweight until I switch to Wells Fargo. Why the hell does the Japanese e-shop route through the UK anyway?!

Wow, what a nightmare. I hope your return is sorted out quickly.

Lookie401

Hello everyone. I've been lurking the forum for months now and decided to join. I got 7 codes left for Daigasso! Band Bros P Debut version so if you are interested feel free to ask, preferred PM. First come first serve. :)

Halabane

Hello everyone. I've been lurking the forum for months now and decided to join. I got 7 codes left for Daigasso! Band Bros P Debut version so if you are interested feel free to ask, preferred PM. First come first serve. :)

I really like the case for that game...wish it was a poster.

Is there a demo category in the Japanese eShop? I've been having a blast fumbling my way through everything so far but I really wish I had at least basic comprehension of written Japanese. Like, who thought PuyoPuyo Tetris would have A BILLION menus? Certainly not me, but exploration is part of the challenge!

Weils

Neo Member

Wow that sucks...which country you are from? From what you have stated about the fees, it's like every single party wants to get something out of the shipping.

Just realized I'll need to fumble my way through the NNID process to download demos too... OH BOY. There a guide for that yet? Please...?

Owari

Sucks that those of us going all digital don't have a way to register fer JP Club Nintendo? Oh well. Payday today. Time to buy literally every 3D Classic I can find.

Halabane

Is there a demo category in the Japanese eShop? I've been having a blast fumbling my way through everything so far but I really wish I had at least basic comprehension of written Japanese. Like, who thought PuyoPuyo Tetris would have A BILLION menus? Certainly not me, but exploration is part of the challenge!

Yes. Along the bottom row. Right now its blue with a new across the top. Those are demos. Fifth button from the right (I think). When you select a game you will see a little gold 3ds with a signal above it. Thats the download button.

Any impressions regarding the ghosting effect of the n3ds and n3ds ll? Is it less noticeable, especially in dark areas in games? I always play with the 3d silder on max.

Thanks.

Yes. Along the bottom row. Right now its blue with a new across the top. Those are demos. Fifth button from the right (I think). When you select a game you will see a little gold 3ds with a signal above it. Thats the download button.
Thank you! Got my NNID created (think I marked myself as under 13 at one point as I got booted from the eShop so that was fun!) so I'm about to go to town!
I really want to know too. It would help so much. And if there isn't they really need to work on one.
So I did some research and took the plunge on some paid apps. Read some good things on an app called Yomiwa but couldn't get it to work at all. Requested a refund, which I didn't even know was possible on the App Store (they certainly bury that ability). Tried another called Waygo; it works OK. Maybe 30% of the time, but it's professional and fully-featured. It's free to try so give it a shot and see what you think! I ended up unlocking the lifetime use option for $6.99 'cuz why not. It can certainly read Japanese better than I can...

kubus

YAY N3DS bundle turned up early, went through customs with no charges muwahahaha.
Holy crap, that's an amazing haul! And you reminded me that I need to find a pouch or case for my New 3DS too. I think it'll fit in my 3DS XL hard pouch but it's probably better to get one that was specifically made to hold the N3DS.

And I should've ordered a screen protector when they were still in stock :(. I want to get the Hori one too but haven't had any luck finding them yet. Maybe it's time to try out Tenso.

Also, it looks like everyone who used Tenso got their packages the same day! Good to hear everyone had a good experience with them, I think I'll go with Tenso in the future as well.

Geez, that's terrible. Have you contacted Nippon-Yasan on the matter yet? I think it'll be a good idea to inform them that your package is being returned to them. I hope you get your EMS one soon and that everything gets resolved :(.

So I did some research and took the plunge on some paid apps. Read some good things on an app called Yomiwa but couldn't get it to work at all. Requested a refund, which I didn't even know was possible on the App Store (they certainly bury that ability). Tried another called Waygo; it works OK. Maybe 30% of the time, but it's professional and fully-featured. It's free to try so give it a shot and see what you think! I ended up unlocking the lifetime use option for $6.99 'cuz why not. It can certainly read Japanese better than I can...
Thanks for the info! I've looked for a similar app myself but the only good one seems to be Word Lens, but it doesn't support Japanese (yet) so it's useless at the moment. I'll check out Waygo and see how that is :).

Can you read hiragana and katakana? It's very easy to learn, you can be done with in a day if you want. Once you can read kana, you'll find navigating menus and games a lot easier. Lots of kids-friendly games support furigana (which means that all kanji have their readings in kana above them), so if you can read kana you can look up every word in a dictionary. I strongly recommend the iOS app imiwa. It's an incredibly detailed, easy to use Japanese dictionary.

Learning katakana has an even bigger advantage. In Japanese, English words are written in katakana, so for example "メニュー" is read as "menyuu", which means "menu". So if you can read katakana, a lot of Japanese words become instantly understandable, without needing to consult a dictionary. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to find the meaning behind the reading because of Japanese's wacky phonetic system, but you can usually figure it out.

And of course, if you're stuck somewhere specific, take a pic of it and post it here. Pretty sure there are a lot of other Japanese speaking gaffers here so someone will be able to help you out :).

Top Bottom