• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

StayDead

Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to find the meaning

As someone who's been self learning Japanese for 4 years now there's still katakana strings I mess up on when it comes to the meaning. Although oftentimes it'll be because the loan word is from German or French which I don't know :p

Peterthumpa

Had my console for several days now and it's been great so far, well with one exception..
the enhanced 3D has just been a huge let down.

The head tracking while not perfect seems to know where I am most of the time provided lighting conditions are optimal, but each time the 3D readjusts to my position there's a flicker of the screen.

The problem is this happens constantly, I can be viewing the screen head on, as you would with a traditional 3DS, but then I simply have to raise my eye brows for example and the screen will freak out and flicker, which as you can imagine is rather discomforting, to the point I have tracking disabled now. : [

I'm curious if others are having a similar experience.
Weird. First time that I'm reading about negative impressions of the 3D tracking. Have you tried it under different lighting conditions?

Halabane

Weird. First time that I'm reading about negative impressions of the 3D tracking. Have you tried it under different lighting conditions?

Right now I am playing DQ 7 and the only light is from the computer monitor and it tracks great. Maybe its the game you were playing?? For me its been nothing but amazing.

Halabane

As someone who's been self learning Japanese for 4 years now there's still katakana strings I mess up on when it comes to the meaning. Although oftentimes it'll be because the loan word is from German or French which I don't know :p

non-english loan words mess me up too!

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01
To DarkWish, peoplesbureau, malenstein or any of the other active importers on the thread: it would be kind of interesting to do the folowing experiment. i wonder how much difference the head tracking does for 3D, so how much the effectiveness of the effect is diminished when turning the tracking off?

It also would be interesting to comapare the effect when face tracking is off with the original 3DS, to see if there has been any improvement to the paralx barrier.

I'll try it out later with N3DS and an XL - will let you know how it goes!
Did you had time to try it peoplesbureau?

Halabane

Wait...I just said I was playing DQ7 on my 3ds. I never thought I would say that. This is about as nerdy as it gets to how happy this makes me. Also playing mh4 and Japan Railways...this has been one of my best gaming purchases.

mrback

Had my console for several days now and it's been great so far, well with one exception..

The head tracking while not perfect seems to know where I am most of the time provided lighting conditions are optimal, but each time the 3D readjusts to my position there's a flicker of the screen.

The problem is this happens constantly, I can be viewing the screen head on, as you would with a traditional 3DS, but then I simply have to raise my eye brows for example and the screen will freak out and flicker, which as you can imagine is rather discomforting, to the point I have tracking disabled now. : [

Head tracking is flawless for me, link between worlds is a masterpiece, looks fantastic in 3d

Impotaku

Wait what is Japan Railways?

I'm going to guess it's one of these games there's 3 of them so far they are train sim games a bit like densha de go. Pretty fun if a little strange.
91X0SOXpTGL._AA1500_.jpg

Halabane

thats it!. I don't know why I am enjoying it. I remember something like this on ps1 long long ago and am just having fun with it. Its kind of what I am looking for here...a game that really doesn't exist elsewhere.

Excuse me but I have schedule to meet. :)

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
I heard Japan Railways was actually really fun and relaxing. I was thinking about getting it to be nostalgic about my time in Japan.

I ended up getting a 1000 Yen card last night and used it to buy the Hanafuda theme. It looks really excellent with the blue LL.

Here's a link to the imgur album. The box was way smaller than expected... It's barely bigger than the console.

Here's a video demonstration of the theme + the c-nub in Sm4sh. Nothing super well filmed or even fancy, but I think it gives a good idea of the kind of motion necessary for using the stick itself.

Edit:Tracking is fine for me.

Meffer

I heard Japan Railways was actually really fun and relaxing. I was thinking about getting it to be nostalgic about my time in Japan.

I ended up getting a 1000 Yen card last night and used it to buy the Hanafuda theme. It looks really excellent with the blue LL.

Here's a link to the imgur album. The box was way smaller than expected... It's barely bigger than the console.

Here's a video demonstration of the theme + the c-nub in Sm4sh. Nothing super well filmed or even fancy, but I think it gives a good idea of the kind of motion necessary for using the stick itself.

Edit:Tracking is fine for me.

Not a huge fan of the glossy finish the LL has. I prefer the matte finish the regular one has. They haven't done a matte finish since the DSi.

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
Not a huge fan of the glossy finish the LL has. I prefer the matte finish the regular one has. They haven't done a matte finish since the DSi.

It is a fingerprint magnet and is kind of gross -- I'm waiting for them to inevitably start selling covers for these so I can pick up a suede one or something. That's the only thing I regret about going with the LL versus the regular size, maybe other than the buttons not being SFC colored.

dhlt25

I have finally decided to join the party (bought a cheap ll from a fellow gafer). I know that everyone are discussing the new model but what are some Japanese only games worth getting? Already bought DQ 7 and band brothers. Language is not a problem for me but the game need to be Japan exclusive without a real chance of being localize since I'll get the us version of the new ll next year and prefer to play things in English

It is a fingerprint magnet and is kind of gross -- I'm waiting for them to inevitably start selling covers for these so I can pick up a suede one or something. That's the only thing I regret about going with the LL versus the regular size, maybe other than the buttons not being SFC colored.

Yeah that's my main complaint for the LL as well.

Halabane

Really weird problem. Thought my bottom screen had died. Panic mode!

Turns out, if I take off the Hori bottom screen protector which had been working off...everything works fine again.

Any idea what happened? Never seen this before.

Garou

I have finally decided to join the party (bought a cheap ll from a fellow gafer). I know that everyone are discussing the new model but what are some Japanese only games worth getting? Already bought DQ 7 and band brothers. Language is not a problem for me but the game need to be Japan exclusive without a real chance of being localize since I'll get the us version of the new ll next year and prefer to play things in English

Culdcept! Also Solitiba is on sale on the eShop right now.

Now I can't even get fleeced on points cards.

Card works fine for places I buy as long as it's not from Japan. Otherwise, no imports for me!

hongcha

I highly recommend Toushin Toshi and EX Troopers. Neither one will ever get localised.

Now I can't even get fleeced on points cards.

Card works fine for places I buy as long as it's not from Japan. Otherwise, no imports for me!

First option:
Go talk to your bank.

Second option:
Get another card from a different bank, preferably a Visa.

Third option:
Don't import.

d+pad

Also Solitiba is on sale on the eShop right now.

Sorry to jump in here, but I just have to say that Solitiba is a LOT of fun--assuming you're OK with (and even enjoy) playing Solitaire. It can take a while to get a hang of things if you don't know much/any Japanese, and it's wordy as HELL, but even then it's fun. Need proof? I'm just about to surpass the 25-hour mark with it XD

DarkWish, peoplesbureau, malenstein or any of the other active importers on the thread: it would be kind of interesting to do the folowing experiment. i wonder how much difference the head tracking does for 3D, so how much the effectiveness of the effect is diminished when turning the tracking off?

It also would be interesting to comapare the effect when face tracking is off with the original 3DS, to see if there has been any improvement to the paralx barrier.

Hearing impressions about this would be very educational XD
Setting it to OFF brings you back to the original 3DS 3D effect level. Tilting up and down a bit keeps the 3D effect, but as soon as you tilt it to the left or right, it breaks as soon as it does on the original 3DS devices. Nowhere near as with head tracking set to ON.

Brian★;134948965 said:
First option:
Go talk to your bank.

Second option:
Get another card from a different bank, preferably a Visa.

Third option:
Don't import.

Option 2 might be my best case given that my bank had no idea what I meant by security measures.

Ayumi

Hi import people!

I have a question, if you don't mind.

If I decide to send a 3DS from Japan to a friend, is it easier to avoid customs than if he buys one online and use a deputy service or whatever it is that you guys use for shipping?

Impotaku

Really weird problem. Thought my bottom screen had died. Panic mode!

Turns out, if I take off the Hori bottom screen protector which had been working off...everything works fine again.

Any idea what happened? Never seen this before.

When you say died i'm assuming you mean the touchscreen stopped working & not that the screen went black?

One thing i have found is if something gets stuck under the edge of the screen like a crumb or a big bit of dirt under the plastic border it can push down the screen making it think it's registering a touch and because the screen can only accept one touch input at a time it stops working as you can't do multi touch. It has happend on my older DS consoles from time to time i found that running a toothbrush around the edge of the screen under the plastic border fixed the problem but that's only one solution to a potential cause. Might be worth a thought.

Never had a screen protector cause my screen to stop working though.

Halabane

When you say died i'm assuming you mean the touchscreen stopped working & not that the screen went black?

One thing i have found is if something gets stuck under the edge of the screen like a crumb or a big bit of dirt under the plastic border it can push down the screen making it think it's registering a touch and because the screen can only accept one touch input at a time it stops working as you can't do multi touch. It has happend on my older DS consoles from time to time i found that running a toothbrush around the edge of the screen under the plastic border fixed the problem but that's only one solution to a potential cause. Might be worth a thought.

Never had a screen protector cause my screen to stop working though.

Yeah it didn't go black.

But it was not just the touch screen but also the buttons would not allow me to move around the display. However the game I had been playing all the buttons worked fine. Screen still seemed unresponsive. But I don't think DQ7 does a lot of with touch screen. I should go check.

I put the protector back on and have been playing Puzzles and Dragons this AM with lots of screen actions and no problem.

Its new. No dirt or water. Wasn't dropped. No heat exposure. I am wondering if this Hori screen saver got into the spot you are talking about and kept it like there was a screen input in one spot...that would account for locking out the buttons and not touch screen. It went on real nice.

Just sharing this in case it happens to others.

Impotaku

Seems like the corocoro codes for the pokemon ORAS demo can only be used once, managed to find a code online to test they are not like the QR codes that take you to a link on the eshop they are like proper software codes that you have to redeem in the options menu on the eshop meaning that each demo code is unique and one use only so unless someone buys the nov issue of corocoro thats out now they won't be able to get the demo.

Seems odd that nintendo limited it this way but they do work very closely with corocoro comics meaning it would be a huge exclusive for them.

Halabane

Interesting, I'll spend some more time with the tracking enabled then, no doubt there's some environmental factor I'm not taking into account that could be interfering.

I gather you don't notice the screen flicker/flash as it readjusts the viewing angle then?

I should be clear that the 3D never breaks, as intended, I just find it distracting when I notice the screen constantly readjusting for apparently no reason, it feels as if it's being overly sensitive, having to readjust the angle for the slightest of head/facial movements.

Yeah I do. When it first starts for example or if I look away and then come back. Are you wearing glasses? I seem to remember something about that in the directions. May want to look at that. I don't have them with me or I would check.

Maybe its too dark? You may need to adjust the slider? I think I am around 1/2 to 3/4.

But i am not kidding you. The old system I kept it off. This one has been on since day one and I have yet to turn it off for anything...including smash. Amazing its even old games, it doesn't require new games to take advantage to it.

Hope you figure it out.

mrback

Yeah I do. When it first starts for example or if I look away and then come back. Are you wearing glasses? I seem to remember something about that in the directions. May want to look at that. I don't have them with me or I would check.

Maybe its too dark? You may need to adjust the slider? I think I am around 1/2 to 3/4.

But i am not kidding you. The old system I kept it off. This one has been on since day one and I have yet to turn it off for anything...including smash. Amazing its even old games, it doesn't require new games to take advantage to it.

Hope you figure it out.
Pretty much as above, it does change when you look away or when first using but once it's locked in it's pretty flawless.

Owari

Seems like the corocoro codes for the pokemon ORAS demo can only be used once, managed to find a code online to test they are not like the QR codes that take you to a link on the eshop they are like proper software codes that you have to redeem in the options menu on the eshop meaning that each demo code is unique and one use only so unless someone buys the nov issue of corocoro thats out now they won't be able to get the demo.

Seems odd that nintendo limited it this way but they do work very closely with corocoro comics meaning it would be a huge exclusive for them.

Also, the demo is 100% Japanese. I hope the game isn't the same way! Heh.

hongcha

There is a review on Amazon JP that complains about this 3D flicker, so you are not the only one.

BriBri

I've just done a system transfer to the New 3DS. Quick question - if I redownload my DSiWare, do my save states return also? Thanks!

Impotaku

I've just done a system transfer to the New 3DS. Quick question - if I redownload my DSiWare, do my save states return also? Thanks!

I chose the 2nd transfer option and it backed up my saves and transferred the eshop licenses, when it was done i had to redownload everything from the eshop and as i opened each present on the home screen it restored each of my save files seems like it made a file somewhere on the system restore my saves from.

kubus

Ugh, can't believe I'm saying this but I just want it to be Monday already. Tracking of my N3DS hasn't updated since it left Japan on the 18th and I'm really fed up with waiting by now.

Seems kinda pointless that I paid a lot extra for a shipping option that would deliver the product within 3-4 days, and it's already been 9 days since the New 3DS was released :/...

Come on 3DS, hurry up!

(Fully expecting customs to open the package and hold it for another 2 weeks before sending it on my way with an added €50 fee btw)

/vent :(

mrback

Ugh, can't believe I'm saying this but I just want it to be Monday already. Tracking of my N3DS hasn't updated since it left Japan on the 18th and I'm really fed up with waiting by now.

Seems kinda pointless that I paid a lot extra for a shipping option that would deliver the product within 3-4 days, and it's already been 9 days since the New 3DS was released :/...

Come on 3DS, hurry up!

(Fully expecting customs to open the package and hold it for another 2 weeks before sending it on my way with an added €50 fee btw)

Sorry you haven't had your 3ds yet, if any deserved to have it by now it's probably yourself. Thanks for the thread & all your help. It's worth the wait if that's any consolation.

yankee666

Come on 3DS, hurry up!

My EMS shipment hasnt updated since it left japan on the 14th so... if you added the FedEx fiasco, no so great New 3DS import experience so far ( i ve allways import stuff, but is the first time something so bad is happening to me)

Where did u find said code? I have a copy of Coro Coro coming in tomorrow but want to play now! >.<

Halabane

Come on 3DS, hurry up!

Cheering for you! You did so much work here...seems so unfair!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Got my white n3DS four days ago. Thanks to Nippon Yasan and FedEx no tax ^_^/ usually it is around 20% in Germany.

Played Zelda/FF3 VC/MH4g and I LOVE it. Amazing machine.

Meffer

I've been playing Youkai Watch 2 and LBXW and really enjoying them so far. Got MH4G as well and it goes without saying that game is fantastic. Gonna double dip when it finally releases here.

Setting it to OFF brings you back to the original 3DS 3D effect level. Tilting up and down a bit keeps the 3D effect, but as soon as you tilt it to the left or right, it breaks as soon as it does on the original 3DS devices. Nowhere near as with head tracking set to ON.
Very interesting, so its up to the magic of 3D+. Thanks for verifying that.

Do you have any comments about fabthegnome situation? He says it's very yaring to him having the 3D effect been adjusted constantly. Hope is a very rare case. Or that he can overcome that problem XD

Hope you figure it out.
This interests me a lot.

In the old 3DS you turned the stereoscopic 3D effect because it made you sick in some way or because it bothered you that the effect broke even with the slightest lateral movement? Would be so great if the people that felt sick when using it could enjoy stereo 3D now with this model.

Are you experimenting any advantages by playing Smash in 3D instead of 2D mode?

EDIT: EX TROOPERS.

i remember been interested in the game when it was about to launch in Japan. Seems like anime styled version of Lost Planet and it looks above average in the visual department in terms of 3DS games.

So what's the reason some of you guys say it won't have a chance in hell for a localization. Or why it won't be at all? It is not a quality game?

Top Bottom