• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier is writing a video game book about dev cycles & people who make them

lt519

Would be interested in hearing about the 4A team that made Metro. I didn't follow all of that closely at the time.

Anyway, first I'm hearing of this book and can't wait to read it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm in, Jason. Been a fan of your work for years.

EDIT: Aaaaand I just hit another "accidental stupid posts on NeoGAF" milestone. Ugh. My first necrobump. Sorry, folks. Followed a link from an FFXV thread. Didn't note the date.

jschreier

C3X38LdWQAARuhj.jpg:large

Can't wait for you guys to read this thing.

Shredderi

This subject has always been of great interest to me since the whole industry is shrouded in this huge cloak and dagger vibe. I don't buy or read many books these days but this is a day one for me Jason.

Mr. Tibbs

C3X38LdWQAARuhj.jpg:large

I can't wait either! Any hints on what studios or projects will be covered? Is this exclusively about the contemporary games industry or will there be some case studies/profiles that focus on interesting developments from previous generations?

jschreier

I can't wait either! Any hints on what studios or projects will be covered? Is this exclusively about the contemporary games industry or will there be some case studies/profiles that focus on interesting developments from previous generations?
For now I'll say that there are 10 chapters, and each one focuses on a different game. We're gonna do a formal announcement within the next couple months, and I'll get more specific then.

Mr. Tibbs

For now I'll say that there are 10 chapters, and each one focuses on a different game. We're gonna do a formal announcement within the next couple months, and I'll get more specific then.

Looking forward to it!

Are you expecting any publisher or developer backlash from any of the stories?

baberunisei

Wow, I knew the book was being written but didn't know its theme. Now I'm even more excited! Gonna read and certainly recommend to friends

FZZ

Banned
Someone should do this but for Nintendo

Feel like Nintendo has the most wild Dev cycle or most efficient

NeOak

Someone please post an Amazon link when this goes up.

Jason, any way to get a signed copy from you? :D

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Actually looking forward to reading this. Hope it contains some Japanese-developed games as well, or an NES rap battle

jschreier

Looking forward to it!

Are you expecting any publisher or developer backlash from any of the stories?
Hmm. Seven of the chapters are based on "official" access to the developers of those games. One is based on a relatively old game and I doubt the publisher will care about it. Two of them are very much unofficial and may lead to some backlash. We'll see! I tried to be as fair as possible to every person and company I covered.

TheRatedD

Looking forward to this. As an Assassin's Creed fanboy, I'm always excited when he leaks AC news, so hopefully this will give some extra info about AC games over the past few years as well.

plufim

From what I've been told by an ex-employee who got out, making LA Noire was hell on earth.

You could probably cover it with little backlash as most of the problems were from internal Team Bondi mismanagement, not Rockstar.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3X38LdWQAARuhj.jpg:large

I'm more surprised you were able to get an advance before a word was even written. I figured most publishers wouldn't even begin to give you the time of day without having the book already written. Especially in terms of video game industry stuff where most folks wouldn't even understand/know what was going on.

jschreier

I'm more surprised you were able to get an advance before a word was even written. I figured most publishers wouldn't even begin to give you the time of day without having the book already written. Especially in terms of video game industry stuff where most folks wouldn't even understand/know what was going on.
I'll probably do a bunch of AMAs and stuff closer to release (maybe even on GAF!) where I can talk lots more about the process, but the quick version is: I worked with my agent to put together a 10-page proposal (which included an outline and a sample chapter), then shopped that around to publishers. Obviously it helped a lot that I already have a "platform" (aka some people know my work already).

Top Bottom