• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAWS on Blu-ray August 14th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerotol

Banned
One of my favorite movies ever. It seemed like it would be on tv a lot during the summer when I was a kid and I would watch it every time. It absolutely ruined swimming for me though!

It's one of those movies that I can literally watch every fucking day and not tire of it. Just so good.

And dat John Williams score. <3

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME!

Well, not dead. This explanation is always good for many movies. All is well.

Cool, got a bit nervous for a sec there :p

In all fairness, I should definitely give it another watch, I have not seen it in like 8 years and my taste in film has changed a lot since.

Edit: sorry for my English lol.

Cool, got a bit nervous for a sec there :p

In all fairness, I such definitely give it another watch, I have not seen it in like 8 years and my taste in film has changed a lot since.

Intentionally made that post that way to mess with ya. All in good fun.

Time for me to confess: 2001 bores me to death. I love the visual aspect of it and understand its importance and significance, but I just have no desire to ever watch it again. Well, perhaps a watch soon to see how time has changed my perception of it. It has been about 7 years since I saw it last. Different strokes for different folks.

Intentionally made that post that way to mess with ya. All in good fun.

Time for me to confess: 2001 bores me to death. I love the visual aspect of it and understand its importance and significance, but I just have no desire to ever watch it again. Well, perhaps a watch soon to see how time has changed my perception of it. It has been about 7 years since I saw it last. Different strokes for different folks.

I hope you enjoy it. Now, that is one of my favorites, but I completely understand someone being bored by it or even hating it. It definitely not an easy watch to many people.

I hope you enjoy it. Now, that is one of my favorites, but I completely understand someone being bored by it or even hating it. It definitely not an easy watch to many people.

The film is gorgeous, and visually holds up exceptionally well. Maybe I was just never in the right mood when I watched it, but I have tired many times over the years.

Another movie I am tempted to give another try is Heat. I hated it each time I saw it, but it has been about 15 years since the last time, so my opinion on that might change too.

They've also delayed the blu release of Empire of the Sun and haven't given a new date.

Universal have put out a 100th Anniversary edition of Schindler's List on DVD. I've emailed them asking what the fuck is going on with the blu version.

They've also delayed the blu release of Empire of the Sun and haven't given a new date.

Universal have put out a 100th Anniversary edition of Schindler's List on DVD. I've emailed them asking what the fuck is going on with the blu version.

Probably next year. We get Jaws, ET, and Indiana Jones on blu all within a few months. That is a damn impressive amount of Spielberg to get this year. They don't want to blow their entire wad, even if it being Universal's anniversary would be the perfect reason to release Schindler's List.

Probably next year. We get Jaws, ET, and Indiana Jones on blu all within a few months. That is a damn impressive amount of Spielberg to get this year. They don't want to blow their entire wad, even if it being Universal's anniversary would be the perfect reason to release Schindler's List.

Well they already said earlier this year that Schindler's List would get a release. I'm just trying to make sure they weren't being sneaky and meaning another dvd release as opposed to blu.

GIMME MA SCHINDLER AND MUNICH.

Well they already said earlier this year that Schindler's List would get a release. I'm just trying to make sure they weren't being sneaky and meaning another dvd release as opposed to blu.

GIMME MA SCHINDLER AND MUNICH.

Soon, Sculli. Soon. There are still a lot of the Bearded One's films to come to blu.

_Isaac

This movie put my whole family to sleep! It was in the middle of the day too. Mom, Dad, and sister all sleeping. I was also struggling a bit. What a ......... plain movie. I was a little disappointed. That was years ago, so I might like it a bit more nowadays, but I just have no interest in it anymore.

Catch Me if You Can has yet to hit. Right?

Yep.

But otherwise, off the top of my head we already have/are getting this year:

Indy trilogy
Jurassic Park
JAWS
Empire of the Sun
Saving Private Ryan
A.I
Minority Report
Hook
E.T
Close Encounters
War of the Worlds
1941 (lulz)
Tintin
War Horse

The only others that I'd actually care about are Schindler, Munich, Catch Me If You Can and Duel.

Don't need Always, Amistad, The Terminal or The Color Purple.

Still haven't seen The Sugarland Express, so I don't know what I'm missing there.

GhaleonEB

A bit torn on the Blu-Ray. Restoration looks incredible, as does the overall package.

But Jaws is on a short list of movies I can't see again, because I'm too scarred by it: Quint's death. I've been traumatized by it for a good 20 years (probably the last time I saw it). I have the film still nearly memorized from all the times I'd seen it as a kid, but his shrieking, bloody death is up there with the knife scene in Private Ryan for me. I just can't do it. I still recall it at random times and wince. (Thanks, Spielberg.)

A bit torn on the Blu-Ray. Restoration looks incredible, as does the overall package.

But Jaws is on a short list of movies I can't see again, because I'm too scarred by it: Quint's death. I've been traumatized by it for a good 20 years (probably the last time I saw it). I have the film still nearly memorized from all the times I'd seen it as a kid, but his shrieking, bloody death is up there with the knife scene in Schindler's List for me. I just can't do it. I still recall it at random times and wince. (Thanks, Spielberg.)

Mixing up your Spielberg WWII films.

Tedesco!

That is understandable, but still doesn't mean E.T isn't awesome. Picking a Spielberg top 10 is hard.

Challenge accepted!

Jaws
Close Encounters
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Schindler's List
Munich
Empire of the Sun
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan
Poltergeist
Temple of Doom

Cheebo

Banned
Yep.
Still haven't seen The Sugarland Express, so I don't know what I'm missing there.

Are you serious? You need to revoke your Spielberg fanboy card. Surgarland Express is fantastic, and one of Spielberg's most important films. His first true theatrical film (not counting Duel which was made for tv originally) and the origin of his partnership with John Williams.

Ridley327

The best part of watching Jaws on TV is playing "Will Quint's death be cut?"

You're missing out, Ghaleon.

Yeah, that's always fun to see. It separates the wimpy networks from the cool ones.

I still wonder if the MPAA regrets handing the film a PG rating. There is no way in hell that it would get anything short of an R these days.

Mr. Sam

The movie was re-released in the UK recently - and probably the US, I think - as a PG. Can those ratings be revised?

Considering that Spielberg came up with the story, produced it, edited it, storyboarded it, co-wrote the screenplay and directed several of the scenes without Hooper's involvement, he should at least get co-director status.

Just watching it feels like an early Spielberg movie. Only thing missing was Williams music(although Jerry Goldsmith is no slouch, either)

Cheebo

Banned
Considering that Spielberg came up with the story, produced it, edited it, storyboarded it, co-wrote the screenplay and directed several of the scenes without Hooper's involvement, he should at least get co-director status.

Just watching it feels like an early Spielberg movie. Only thing missing was Williams music(although Jerry Goldsmith is no slouch, either)

He very likely directed a majority of the movie. He was even telling Hooper how to direct his scenes. The actors said they got the direction mostly from Spielberg, not Hooper. He even got in a bit of trouble with the directors guild over it at the time.

Ridley327

Spielberg will never, ever admit to it, though, since he's so in love with the idea of the director being the sole director on a project (and, of course, the legal implications involved with that kind of thing). Unfortunately for him, Tobe Hooper has had such a long history of self-destructive tendencies that it's never going to hold water.

Well, shit.

Thank you for your most recent email.

No plans have been announced for the Blu-ray release of "Schindler's List." Many factors influence the timing and content of our releases. Unfortunately, no further information is available at this time.

The movie was re-released in the UK recently - and probably the US, I think - as a PG. Can those ratings be revised?

The 25th anniversary DVD had a BBFC rating of 12 instead of the PG it had previously. But I believe that was due to the F-bomb being dropped in one of the out-takes (Brody's gun doesn't fire, Roy gets angry at prop). The scene may have been included just to give the film the certificate it probably deserves.

The main feature has a lot of blood plus some bad language and silhouetted nudity. Not to mention the fact that it is a really tense and scary film. My mum always tells the story of how scared she was watching it in the cinema and a kid sitting behind her saying "Daddy, that lady's scared" during the opening scene. I always watched the uncut version as a kid, when I was around the age of 4. I never found the blood to be terrible, just kind of educational. Something like Donovan's transformation at the end of The Last Crusade was a lot more terrifying to me than anything you saw while watching Jaws.

Jaws is probably a bit tame by today's standards and doesn't really scare you while you watch it, but then you go to the beach...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Man, it's nice to see Spielberg's stuff being release on Blu ray. Munich and Schindler next please!

Man, it's nice to see Spielberg's stuff being release on Blu ray. Munich and Schindler next please!

My man.

Secret: I think I almost want Munich on blu more than Schindler. Spielberg's best looking film and I just know it would look absolutely SUPERB on blu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom