• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAWS on Blu-ray August 14th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Movie looked (and is) fantastic!

This is the only movie my mother ever forbade me to see (she was a hippie, and had no problem taking me to see movies like Animal House, Halloween, Alien. Even Porky's!). So, I've never seen it look like this (although, I guess that's true for most of GAF; I envy Sculli). The movie was much bloodier than I remembered. So many little details I've never noticed (yes, those shooting stars). There's a moment when Quint sticks the machete in the deck of the boat and I caught that when he's getting eaten, he grabs it and stabs the shark. Wonderful little touch.

Although, now that I think about it, perhaps her reticence was because Dreyfuss in this movie looks exactly like my father. I mean, it's really uncanny. Must have been weird for her to watch what looked like her ex-husband (and be rooting for the shark).

bill0527

Finally got my copy from Amazon today and yes this movie looks fantastic.

Looks like it could have been shot today as a period piece. Well...other than the shark parts. That would all be CGI today, and it would probably take something away from the movie because the director, no doubt, would be wanting to show off his digital creation every 5 fucking minutes.

Ponn

Banned
UPS delivered today. Popped it in within minutes of tearing the package open. It's beautiful...so so beautiful.

Have to wait until the 4th Sept here in the UK, dammit! But from what I've heard and read it looks like it's been restored to a superlative degree! Can't wait!

Just popped it in to watch The Shark is Still Working. Decided to skim through the first twenty minutes or so of the movie, and yeah.... It's beautiful.

Ridley327

Haven't got the chance to watch the Blu-ray, but I was blown away by how generous the digital copy redemption was; not only do you get the Ultraviolet copy for applicable services, but you get a separate digital copy redemption for your favorite service, and the iTunes download nets you both HD and SD versions of the film, as well as the SD extras. My cup runneth over of faulty animatronic sharks!

antonz

The quality really is fantastic. This is how remastering should be done. I cant bring myself to buy the Jurassic Park set because of just how bad they did the original movie.

The water scenes etc in Jaws look like they were practically filmed this year instead of 1975.

Mr. Sam

Went to see Jaws outside last night, right by the Thames, as part of Jameson's Cult Film Club. Andy Serkis is the curator and helped introduce the film:

naK5z.jpg

YseLU.jpg

Cz47O.jpg

stHcz.jpg

Moment of the night:

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." *Everyone goes absolutely ballistic*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
got it last week, watched it friday on my new 106" projection screen. Looks really really good, even for being rather old. Some scenes show some softer edges, but overall it looks fantastic.

The audio, though, that is the best part. The back speakers are very active, which i love, and it was crisp and clear except for robert shaws mumbles.

cant wait for ET and want to re-watch close encounters.

kinggroin

Banned
Poltergeist is an amazing film. I remember watching it as a kid and it scaring the shit outta me. Awesome :)

Surprised it's not been remade actually, its a cool idea still :)

Fucker.

Anyway, just watched the BluRay of jaws with my oldest son.. His first horror movie! Had an absolute blast; this movie holds up very well.

Fucker.

Anyway, just watched the BluRay of jaws with my oldest son.. His first horror movie! Had an absolute blast; this movie holds up very well.

Nice necro.

But yeah movie is fantastic. Restoration is supreme, my go-to movie for comparing digital to analog.

I bought not too long ago. Definitely one of the best Blu-Rays I own in terms of quality of the transfer and special features. Great disc for one of the best movies ever made.

Hex

Banned
Jaws is one of those that you have to AT LEAST pop in once a summer if not more often and the blu is fantastic.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Quint's death is one of the most memorable moments of film that I've ever seen. His desperate breathing before the bite and the scream afterward...incredible.

Quint's death always upset me. Memorable scene, probably the most horrific death to experience, but why not Hooper. Like, Quint was the best

it sure made Brody's last stand revenge-fueled as hell though

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Because Captain Ahab and shit innit.

yeah surely it amped the drama to great heights, but still, when you hear someone saying shit like this

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

you just want him to catch the monster

yeah surely it amped the drama to great heights, but still, when you hear someone saying shit like this

you just want him to catch the monster

He gave it a good shot, he went out fighting (or should that be hollerin' and screamin'?) He stabbed that shark with a piece of wood while it was chomping his buster browns. Can't get much more badass than that.

Tobor

Quint's death always upset me. Memorable scene, probably the most horrific death to experience, but why not Hooper. Like, Quint was the best

it sure made Brody's last stand revenge-fueled as hell though

I guess you never read the book? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom