• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazzpunk |OT| Everything's under control

daydream

Banned
M6uhCO2.png

Release Date: February 7, 2014
Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
Price: $15
Developer: Necrophone Games (@Beetlenaut), published by Adult Swim Games
Homepage: necrophonegames.com/jazzpunk (for DRM-free version + Steam key)
STEAM page

GOG Offer for $11,99 (Steam will have the same launch week discount)

What the foxtrot is this?

Why, a new comedy adventure for your videographic terminal!

Yes, but what kind of comedy?

The devs cite movies like Naked Gun, Airplane and Hot Shots as sources of inspiration. Anyway, it's pretty dumb. You'll know if it's for you.

VHS footage

Jazzpunks are GO
Teaser 1 (wtf)
Teaser 2

Giantbomb Quick Look
PAX 2013 Demo

Reviews:

PC Gamer - 92 said:
That Jazzpunk so frequently caused me to laugh is a sign that it's a great comedy. That, days later, I'm still desperately fighting the urge to blurt out its best moments is a sign that it's a remarkable, unique and lasting one too. (Full Review)

Edge - 9 said:
Gaming, however, is a far broader church, and it’s some achievement that Necrophone’s game spans so many locations, styles, genres and eras with barely a single gag failing to hit the mark. Games are so rarely funny by design, but Jazzpunk is much more than a funny videogame. It’s a comedy, and one that wouldn’t be possible – or anywhere near as powerful – in any other medium.(Full Review)

Polygon - 8 said:
The experience of Jazzpunk is funny in a way few games are — probably because Jazzpunk, unlike most of its contemporaries, doesn't force its player to hear, see or get every joke. Many are subtle, most can be missed altogether. There's no death in the game, and no punishment for playing incorrectly, so jokes are never repeated, diminishing with each delivery. (Full Review)

The Escapist - 4/5 said:
Jazzpunk overall is kind of a mixed bag - but it's a good bag. The kind of things you find in the bag are good things. There aren't any bad things in the bag, but not everything in the bag is great. You'll have fun playing the game, I can guarantee that, but what the game can't guarantee is that you'll be immersed and engaged. The fantastically stylistic world, the humor, and the goofy story, though, ultimately triumph over the somewhat shallow story and slow gameplay. (Full Review)

Rev3Games - 4/5 said:
My biggest complaint is how abruptly it ends. I suppose that's a testament to just how compelling it is, so if that's the biggest complaint I have, then I'd say the game's mission is accomplished. [...] So there it is, Jazzpunk, one of the weirdest and funniest games I've had the pleasure of playing. (Full Review)

Destructoid - 7 said:
As cute as some of these jokes may be, Jazzpunk also dabbles in the macabre and sexual arena, with activities like microwaving live pigeons, or close encounters with robot sex workers. Sometimes it's a bit too much coming at you rapid fire, but there's a cohesive sense of style to Jazzpunk, including some hints of noir, juxtaposed to cool neon effects and unique animations. (Full Review)

IGN - 7 said:
But the wonder of Jazzpunk is that it did make me laugh, and laugh often. Developers Luis Hernandez and Jess Brouse are right: that's something that happens all too rarely in an industry where comic relief usually comes from the mouths of fantasy dwarves, or worse, glitches in games like Skyrim and Battlefield 4. Why so serious, Jazzpunk asks us, and it's another piece of proof that we don't really have a satisfying answer. (Full Review)

Closing Comment:

I've been looking forward to this game for a while now. We don't see many games attempting to do comedy, and this seems hilarious, smart, stylish, dumb and a whole lot of other things, with a great soundtrack to boot. It reminds me of the fever-dreamish games by Blendo with its no-questions-asked attitude. The Quick Look had me laughing throughout, and even if it's supposed to be a bit on the shorter side (not a problem for me, personally), the density of jokes will make up for that, I'm sure. Exploring pays off big time in this game. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Y9QNniy.png

Zafir

Looking forward to it having seen Giantbomb's quick look.

Random craziness is the best kind of craziness.

Been excited for this since word about it started gaining traction at PAX East. I'm so game for everything about this. Hopefully, the abrupt ending that I keep hearing about turns out well.

This game looks absolutely amazing, but I don't think the content justifies $15. $10 would have been like.... perfect.

I've avoided watching more than 5 minutes of the GB Quicklook and the 3 minute review from Rev3.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really liked Rev 3's review; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHgL6MtSwQ

All I knew about this game is that it had voice work by the cast of the "Dismal Jesters" podcast; Jim Sterling, Jonathan Holmes, and Conrad Zimmerman. In my head I was seeing some tired 2d pixel-art game but when I saw the review I'm quite charmed by the concept! Three of my favorite personalities involved in such a unique looking game strikes my fancy immensely.

I don't really have much of a PC, just my shitty laptop. One of the reasons I've ordered a PS4 finally is because all the really big indie games seem to be finding a home on consoles these days, thankfully. Tell me, has anyone heard anything about Jazzpunk getting a console version? I'd really love to get ahold of it.

I hope that doesn't count as port-begging :( It's such a nebulous term. Just to get it out there I find it impossible to hate anything that people game on. FFS, gaming is all about joy and engagement. Wherever you find it that's awesome.

I really liked Rev 3's review; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHgL6MtSwQ

All I knew about this game is that it had voice work by the cast of the "Dismal Jesters" podcast; Jim Sterling, Jonathan Holmes, and Conrad Zimmerman. In my head I was seeing some tired 2d pixel-art game but when I saw the review I'm quite charmed by the concept! Three of my favorite personalities involved in such a unique looking game strikes my fancy immensely.

Jim Sterling is actually the only one of the three acting in the game, I think. He sounds pretty excited about it on twitter.

Horseticuffs

Jim Sterling is actually the only one of the three acting in the game, I think. He sounds pretty excited about it on twitter.

I could have sworn that an episode or three ago they were all talking about having to hurry up and record the voice work because they'd been dicking around. Thinking back, though, I'm thinking you're right.

I think they were talking about some other project they're all working on together. Regardless, I heard some scratchy, modulated British voice in the Rev 3 review and it got my Jim-dar tingling immediately.

daydream

Banned
I don't really have much of a PC, just my shitty laptop. One of the reasons I've ordered a PS4 finally is because all the really big indie games seem to be finding a home on consoles these days, thankfully. Tell me, has anyone heard anything about Jazzpunk getting a console version? I'd really love to get ahold of it.

I would also love a console (or Vita) version, for sure! I don't think it's out of the question, but probably not anytime soon. Found this in the dev's twitter feed:

Luis Hernandez ‏@Beetlenaut 3 Std.

@somanybiscuits the better it sells on PC, the more chance it has of coming to consoles :)

Horseticuffs

I would also love a console (or Vita version), for sure! I don't think it's out of the question, but probably not anytime soon. Found this in the dev's twitter feed:

Very nice! I can't get over how unique and clean the game looks. I love the art style.

kick51

Banned
Adult Swim games, eh? I still play the hell out of Super House Of Dead Ninjas and yes, occasionally revisit Robot Unicorn Attack

might have to check this out.

Kade

Adult Swim games, eh? I still play the hell out of Super House Of Dead Ninjas and yes, occasionally revisit Robot Unicorn Attack

They've got a pretty good track record as an indie publisher now. Volgarr and SHoDN were awesome.

They're probably my favorite publisher right now. I don't know how they find these gems. Somebody over there deserves a raise.

I love thr Jazzpunk are go trailer so much.

They're probably my favorite publisher right now. I don't know how they find these gems. Somebody over there deserves a raise.

If you like games published by Adult Swim check Westerado, it's a browser game but I hope the dev expand the idea and releases it on Steam.

Tizoc

At work so I can't view all the images, but isn't this an FP Adventure game? The First person view is dettering me from getting it but the positive reviews are making me consider getting it.
Though i don't know if I'd want to get it anytime soon >_<.

Great job, daydreaming! :D

Now just waiting for the unlock.

I remember Rev3 guys recommending Seijun Suzuki movies like Branded To Kill and Tokyo Drifter to check out for a similar style based on the intro.

AHA-Lambda

I'm very intrigued after seeing the PC GAMER review from yesterday, but I do personally find $15 for this kind of game always quite steep :/

Really wanna play this but I'm without a decent computer at the mo. I know it's not a super intensive game or anything, but will a HP G62 laptop run this well enough?

I could have sworn that an episode or three ago they were all talking about having to hurry up and record the voice work because they'd been dicking around. Thinking back, though, I'm thinking you're right.

I think they were talking about some other project they're all working on together. Regardless, I heard some scratchy, modulated British voice in the Rev 3 review and it got my Jim-dar tingling immediately.
That is for a different game, LISA. We'll be playing ourselves in a location known as Dismal Island.

Jazzpunk's just me. Been waiting for this day for a stupid amount of years. I hope people dig it!

Corto

That is for a different game, LISA. We'll be playing ourselves in a location known as Dismal Island.

Jazzpunk's just me. Been waiting for this day for a stupid amount of years. I hope people dig it!

Congrats! Will trash the VA afterwards hehehe

I got to play it back in March at a indie game fest in Toronto. It's fun and funny. It has the spirit of the old Lucasarts point and click adventures, but bringing it successfully to a first person perspective. Looking forward to play the whole thing.

I have to buy this now. The Giantbomb quicklook had me bursting into fits of laughter over my lunchbreak. Amazing.

Oh no! Just me out of the Dismal Jesters. I play two characters in the game. The dev, Luis, does the lion's share of the voices. Crazy talented vocal chameleon, that one.

So how many people actually worked on this? It's been on my peripheral radar for ages after lots of PC Gamer/RPS features & mentioned in a few Dismal Jesters podcasts, but this guy sounds insanely talented if he did most of the voice work too!

Edit: Googled them, Two guys made this. Wow! Pretty awesome.

Top Bottom