• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazzpunk |OT| Everything's under control

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Been on the wishlist for a while. Should be interesting and keen to play it within the next 6-12 months.

Lunzio

Should be on sale on Steam today for $12 if anyone is interested.

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this up :)

Edge review was so glowing I didn't bother finish reading it. I'll go back to it once I've played it.

Is the game a decent length for $12? You don't have to put a number on the duration, but the comparisons to Thirty Flights of Loving are a cause for concern to me.
Hmmm when is this offer expiring?
first week only discount according to GoG's news post. In line with a lot of new releases. I'd be happy to buy direct from the developer if they adjust the Humble checkout.

If that's true, then it's pretty shitty that it costs 15 dollars to preorder on the dev's site.

You get DRM-free and a Steam key, plus if you like supporting developers most of the revenue, compared to Steam that takes a ~30% cut.

Is the game a decent length for $12? You don't have to put a number on the duration, but the comparisons to Thirty Flights of Loving are a cause for concern to me.

Thirty Flights was literally 15 min long, this is not that short. The comparisons are the art style and the espionage theme but both go for different tones.

daydream

Banned

Thanks, included in the OP!

If that's true, then it's pretty shitty that it costs 15 dollars to preorder on the dev's site.

I guess. Launch week discount has been a pretty standard thing, though, for these games (and like Messo said, it's DRM-free + key).

The comparisons are made with regard to the tone and overall style. Jazzpunk's supposed to be ~3 hours if you take your time (which you should). Anything longer would be detrimental to this type of game, at least in my opinion.

You get DRM-free and a Steam key, plus if you like supporting developers most of the revenue, compared to Steam that takes a ~30% cut.
Many developers price match whatever deal is going, if you want to buy direct wait until this evening I say. I know Jon Blow doesn't do it for Braid, charging twice the price to buy direct so it is not unprecedented. Now the Humble store has their own market maybe they want to have greater control over Humble discounts?
The comparisons are made with regard to the tone and overall style. Jazzpunk's supposed to be ~3 hours if you take your time (which you should). Anything longer would be detrimental to this type of game, at least in my opinion.
That's great thanks.

Zia

I played an early chunk of the game for IGF (no idea how large it was, proportionally) and it was longer than Thirty Flights.

Hmmm, I preordered the game a while back directly from the Humble Bundle widget on their site but I don't see it on my account. Anyone else having this issue?

Zafir

Wish they'd have discounted the price on their site as well. Steam screws EU over with exchange rates. :(

daydream

Banned
Hmmm, I preordered the game a while back directly from the Humble Bundle widget on their site but I don't see it on my account. Anyone else having this issue?

Steam launched it three hours earlier than the devs had anticipated. They're sorting it out as we speak.

Edit: Should be working now according to the dev.

Steam launched it three hours earlier than the devs had anticipated. They're sorting it out as we speak.

Edit: Should be working now according to the dev.

I did the key resender and found my purchase, but it wasn't claimed to my account...weird. I though it is automatic now unless you select the gift option.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is anyone else getting a lot of slowdown? I've had to stutter slideshow my way through the opening cutscene, ran into some issues in the main office at the very beginning of the game and just now I got teleported into a minigame which keeps going back and forth between smooth and impossible to play.

Ceebs

Is anyone else getting a lot of slowdown? I've had to stutter slideshow my way through the opening cutscene, ran into some issues in the main office at the very beginning of the game and just now I got teleported into a minigame which keeps going back and forth between smooth and impossible to play.

I got a bit of slowdown after I was on the map screen after mission 2 for a while checking out everything, but it cleared up. No problems in the actual missions.

Also...this game takes it's jokes ALL the way to the finish line. Go find the wedding cake on the beach and you will die laughing at first, only for it to be replaced with a "Wait, this is actually a thing" which will then be replaced with a "Oh my god, why was this taken so far?"

daydream

Banned

I've had little slowdown so far (playing on a laptop). Definitely not in the sections you pointed out.

Man, the transition between chapter 2 and 3 is brilliant, haha. Well done.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Well, I bought this, but it won't even load on my computer. Wondering what my recourses are considering there doesn't seem to be any support in place for the game. Ouch. Was excited to play this today.

This game is funnier than I was expecting. I love at the beginning
when the guy behind that desk says he's going to the wine cellar and just passes out drunk under the desk

Ceebs

Just finished the game. Took about 3 hours and I spent loads of time looking around.

Worth every cent. Word of warning though, if you are the type who thinks stuff like Gone Home are not games, you should probably just ignore this one too.

jiggles

Banned
Just played through it. Clock reads 79 minutes, and I didn't rush. I dunno, I didn't find it all that funny. A few chuckles, sure, but thinking "oh, that's a nice touch" every couple of minutes isn't enough to carry it.

The best joke is the price.

AHA-Lambda

Just played through it. Clock reads 79 minutes, and I didn't rush. I dunno, I didn't find it all that funny. A few chuckles, sure, but thinking "oh, that's a nice touch" every couple of minutes isn't enough to carry it.

The best joke is the price.

Gonna skip then, that was kinda my impression from the GB quick look and TB's wtf is... video.

daydream

Banned
Just finished the game. Took about 3 hours and I spent loads of time looking around.

Yes, took me roughly 3 hours, maybe a little more, to finish it. Did everything according to the credits and I also _feel_ like I've done everything. Talked to everyone, listened to all the voice acting, explored and clicked on everything. I'm sure there's plenty of details to be missed in one playthrough, but probably nothing major (unless it requires specific actions).

My verdict for now: I think this game is pretty great. The humour is hit-or-miss which is, of course, to be expected. I can easily point out the parts I didn't like - chapter 2 wasn't that funny aside from one character that's in it, and the final stretch felt a bit contrived (still had some amusing elements, though) - everything else ranged from dumb/witty to hilarious. Not often do I laugh at a video game, so I try to give due credit when it happens.

As far as voice acting is concerned, I didn't like all the robotic voices and robot characters (except the lady robot from the first level). The rest of the cast is pretty much fantastic in an over-the-top satire sort of way. Love how the VA plays off of the subtitles and vice-versa.

There's also a lot of little bonus games hidden in Jazzpunk, all of them parodies. Again, as you'd expect, some of them work (Quake one is the best), others are a bit grating. In general, I'd say they feel a tad disjointed from the rest of the game - others may end up really liking their inclusion, though.

Overall, I think this game is definitely worth experiencing for the many highlights, not exclusively of the comical variety. Game has a great sense of style and I really enjoyed the set pieces. Surprisingly, the art surrounding this game is rooted in the, admittedly ridiculous, narrative and there's one really cool looking sequence where it becomes apparent. The thematic consistency is something I did not expect.

Last thing I'll say: It would be nothing short of a crime if they didn't release the soundtrack. I dare them to withhold it.

Looking forward to spoiler talk!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Took me 3 hours to beat, had a handful more bugs pop up including the gag counter in the credits being incorrect on almost every front (unless this is supposed to be a gag). Full review to come but my basic, tl;dr version is to watch 5 minutes of someone playing the game, Airplane! or a Mel Brooks movie. If that sort of humor is your thing, Jazzpunk absolutely will be your best friend for those few hours. If not, don't bother.

It took me around two and half hours to finish it. I did a good amount of exploring and side stuff but not everything. This is my ideal length so no complaints from me. I plan to go through it again and do some things I missed out on.

Pigeons hate the corporate
iXH2qhA2TaemS.gif

Pigeons love jazz tho
ibp9y7NLXKXnUl.gif

monlo

Just got through the game. Wedding Qake is fucking incredible.

Question: when you gets to the DJ part, and you place the second record, does the game freeze for you? It does for me. Bueller?

Zia

Yeah, I totally did not do any side quests the first time I played this. They are some of the most hilarious moments so far.

Absolutely love it. Second favorite game of 2014 so far behind Nidhogg.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just saw the bunnyhop review. Even though the review was negative, this game looks awesome.

OnPoint

Just got through the game. Wedding Qake is fucking incredible.

Question: when you gets to the DJ part, and you place the second record, does the game freeze for you? It does for me. Bueller?

It didn't for me. I believe it unlocked an achievement.

Top Bottom