• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger 2 |OT| The Movie

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
441e5aae75b9407114902dfbba6236ffef7781e4.png

512096ad448944f610017fc6472a1d9b6f664451.png

| JOE DANGER 2: THE MOVIE features Joe working as a stuntman on the set of an over-the-top action film.
JD2 expands on the formula established by the original PSN and XBLA title, introducing new vehicles, missions and mechanics |

| GENRE: Extreme Puzzle-Platforming (THPS + GripShift + Trials) | PRICE: $14.99/£9.99 | RELEASE: US Oct 9th/EU Oct 10th |​
| MULTIPLAYER: Offline 1-4P/Online Leaderboards, Ghosts & Level Sharing | REVIEWS: PSN/XBLA | TRAILER: Link |​

874f89e02e1476cc8e53922471c8e8f95eed3293.png

| PSN EXCLUSIVE CONTENT & TWEAKS:

Joe Danger "Gaiden" Mode
25 levels inspired by the original prototype for Joe Danger. Said to include 10 hours of content.

Replays and Youtube Support
Save, playback and upload to youtube your greatest stunt spectaculars.

Developer Picks
Share your own levels globally online. We’re also getting ready some exclusive developer levels which will be ready on launch day!

Custom Soundtracks
We love the Joe Danger music, but we think we’ve heard it a few too many times now.
(Note: in-game custom soundtracks are technically an exclusive feature, I'm just copy and pasting this stuff)

Level Editing
We made the Level Editor even more powerful.
Every Friday we’ll be picking the 5 best user levels, and highlighting them on our front page.

Unlocking Joe Danger
If you own the original Joe Danger, then you’ll unlock the original Joe and his bike for Joe Danger 2.

Downloadable Tours
We’ve created an area which allows us to release new Download content straight into your game.
This is where you’ll find “Joe Danger Gaiden”! We already have another pack planned in the next month…

Lots More
We’ve tried to make everything just a little bit better, from big things like how the leaderboards work, to little things like making one annoying sound a little quieter.
If someone has noticed it, we’ve tried to fix it.

Hidden Stuff
We couldn’t resist putting in some surprises for people who have already played Joe Danger to death.
Especially if you 100% completed the game, or think you have gotten all the Pro Medals, you might want to have a another look.

Hello Games are "exploring the possibility" of bringing the content to XBLA. |

4526886c2a79b2bd2f9068426bbd2e9c8826fdcb.png

4829c595e8399b0f909f09efa9aec40ac9674983.png

07e906c6f348a58b523741646bb56ee65640944b.png

512a99eb529588696c7c98707c2760a460614717.png

03b358e41142e667acb70f2486b7095a51029df9.png

7a596969613b8867e751b84aa7c2aca45c7dd785.png

watership

"Hello Games are "exploring the possibility" of bringing the content to XBLA."

How does that happen when the games release dates are a month apart?

I'm all over this after work tonight. A nice little birdie gave me a free code for it. :)

Someone please post the trophy list here as soon as it's known!

I think they wanted to throw a bone to PS3 users because the game came out first on the 360. It seems likely the 360 will get the content soon.

undu

There's a bit of history about Microsoft not being flexible about contract, I suppose in this case it makes unplanned content when the deal was signed hard to release as free content, see tf2 as a similar example to this.

Fez also suffered from this, it had a limited number of free patches that the developer mismanaged and was not able to release a last patch to fix issues without them paying.

watership

There's a bit of history about Microsoft not being flexible about contract, I suppose in this case it makes unplanned content when the deal was signed hard to release as free content, see tf2 as a similar example to this.

Fez also suffered from this, it had a limited number of free patches that the developer mismanaged and was not able to release a last patch to fix issues without them paying.

Oh, I know about that. And I know that both MS and SONY say that if you release on one platform before us, you must ad new content.. but it's only a month. Why not just release at the same time?

Oh, I know about that. And I know that both MS and SONY say that if you release on one platform before us, you must ad new content.. but it's only a month. Why not just release at the same time?

Because Microsoft paid them to have the game exclusively for a short period of time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was gonna wait until the weekend, but screw it, downloading now. Although with the way my PSN download speeds are, I might not be playing it until the weekend anyways. 300 minutes for 1158mb? What in the world...

I was gonna wait until the weekend, but screw it, downloading now. Although with the way my PSN download speeds are, I might not be playing it until the weekend anyways. 300 minutes for 1158mb? What in the world...

Wow. My wife started the download for me and within minutes she said it was at 10%, and that's on a measly 5mb DSL line.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Loving the skiing levels even though I keep crashing. Thankfully crashing makes me laugh more than rage, Joe's ragdoll is always good for a chuckle.

EDIT - Hey, I just saw V_Ben's ghost. In the game that is, not his actual ghost.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haha, I'm number 1 on the leaderboards for the first of the exclusive levels. Better enjoy it while I can, barely anyone has played them yet.

V_Ben

Banned
Loving the skiing levels even though I keep crashing. Thankfully crashing makes me laugh more than rage, Joe's ragdoll is always good for a chuckle.

EDIT - Hey, I just saw V_Ben's ghost. In the game that is, not his actual ghost.

Heh, yeah. I've put almost 10 hours into the game now I think. Got 85% on the main game, and 35% on the deleted scenes. Fuck the directors cut, I spent half an hour on one level! This game is so damn good.

For those who are trying to decide on platform, I'd recommend the 360.

- aliasing and shadows are handled better on 360. Easily noticeable.

- leaderboards are bugged on the PS3 right now. Mostly not working, but of course this could be ironed out. Regardless, they load faster on 360, just as they did with the first game.

- artifacts are more easily noticed in the video clips on the PS3 version.

- 360 version has surround sound. PS3 version is only stereo.

- PS3 version has 19 trophies. 360 version has 30 achievements.

Don't misinterpret this post. The PS3 version is completely solid, and worth buying instantly. Just pointing out some technical differences for those who care about such things.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh god, the
unicycle
in the first deleted scene is ridiculous. Maybe it's because I've had a few drinks but I last about 10 seconds before I wipe out. This is awesome.

Hello Games had said the reward for having played the original Joe Danger would be you unlock the original Joe Danger character model in the new game, but so far I don't have it.

Has anyone else unlocked it? The character select screen is to the left of the movie and multiplayer menus.

Saty

Astounding bomba.

Joe Danger 2: The Movie was the second-best reviewed new title on XBLA last month (average Metacritic score of 81) and had the publisher backing of Microsoft, but leaderboards data for September 2012 provided to Gamasutra shows that the game sold around 6,000 units across three weeks last month.

That's even fewer units than the original Joe Danger sold on XBLA during its opening week last December, which was over 8,000 downloads -- and that enhanced port released a year and a half after the PSN edition. Joe Danger 2 was also believed to be an exclusive for XBLA until late September (three weeks after the XBLA release), when Hello Games announced a PSN version with extra content coming out in October.

For comparison, when the first Joe Danger game released on PSN in June 2010, it had more than 68,000 players after its first month on sale. It's worth noting, though, that Joe Danger faces more competition in the motorbike stunt game genre on XBLA from RedLynx's popular Trials franchise.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179217/Joe_Danger_2_struggling_to_find_audience_on_XBLA.php

Raonak

Banned
Wonder how i'd do on PSN...

not buying since i haven't finished the first and don't want to reward them for the BS they pulled. (claiming ps3 users were beta testers for JD1, and saying JD2 was XBLA exclusive)

All due respect to Hello Games and JD, but XBLA is a much more competitive place to sell games than PSN where it seems considerably easier to stand out due to a generally lighter release schedule and no big evergreen supersellers, like Trials and Minecraft, to contend with. Also, JD is an acquired taste, so the sequel debuting in less than spectacular fashion makes a lot of sense despite the improvements I saw from the demo and from impressions of the full game. The gameplay is just not on the same level of appeal as others it sits alongside on the digital shelf, so no amount of good marketing and high critical praise can change that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Poor Hello Games. They royally screwed up going exclusive on XBLA for that whole month or whatever it was. They managed to disenchant their PSN fans and were thanked for it by being ignored by the XBLA crowd. Imagine the PSN fans won't be in a hurry to get the sequel either.

I don't want to say it but I think that's part of the reason. Not sure how much of the blame is due to that but they had a good reception on PSN then went exclusive to XBL for whatever reason. Even if only for a short time but it obviously hurt.

That's a real shame, and it confirms my fears. It feels like there aren't that many people on the leaderboards. It seemed a little to easy to rank in the top 100 on certain levels.

It just felt like the game didn't have that much buzz by the time it came out.

Poor Hello Games. They royally screwed up going exclusive on XBLA for that whole month or whatever it was. They managed to disenchant their PSN fans and were thanked for it by being ignored by the XBLA crowd. Imagine the PSN fans won't be in a hurry to get the sequel either.

I know people are going to point to that, but I think the more likely explanation is that the marketplace is much more competitive today than it was in the summer of 2010 when the first Joe Danger came out on the PS3.

They put the sequel out right as the fall gaming schedule is ramping up, and there are even more downloadable games coming out on a weekly basis. In 2010 it wasn't that hard to get noticed, especially in a slow summer month. I've always said the summer is a good time to launch a game, but publishers continue to be convinced it's to be avoided.

Unfortunately I'm already convinced the PS3 version is not selling any better since launching on Tuesday. The leaderboards on that version are even more barren than they are on the 360.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They released it on PSN with a bunch of additional content. They seemed to screw over both fanbases.

All due respect to Hello Games and JD, but XBLA is a much more competitive place to sell games than PSN where it seems considerably easier to stand out due to a generally lighter release schedule and no big evergreen supersellers, like Trials and Minecraft, to contend with. Also, JD is an acquired taste, so the sequel debuting in less than spectacular fashion makes a lot of sense despite the improvements I saw from the demo and from impressions of the full game. The gameplay is just not on the same level of appeal as others it sits alongside on the digital shelf, so no amount of good marketing and high critical praise can change that.

PSN has on plenty of occasions had more releases in a month than XBLA (including September) so that's complete rubbish. A better argument would be that when Joe Danger originally came out, there was a much lighter schedule everywhere, so it was much easier to stand out.

Now that I feel sorry for them, I'll give the beta comment a rest and probably buy the game at some point.

That said, what did Hello Games expect? Surely they knew that ditching their established fanbase for XBLA could blow up in their faces? Not only that but who thought porting their games to other systems and including a ton of extra exclusive content was a good idea? Just because big developers and publishers get away with it, doesn't mean anyone can. Those devs/publishers tend to have enormous marketing campaigns. Indie developers don't and they can't afford to alienate their customers like Hello Games have. The entire debacle just makes it seem like they either got way too ahead of themselves or didn't use their brains at all. It's a pretty sad scenario.

Assuming JD2's poor reception has hit them hard, they should really be getting either one or both games out on Steam ASAP. And FFS don't piss off even more people by making it even better than the other two versions.

I know people are going to point to that, but I think the more likely explanation is that the marketplace is much more competitive today than it was in the summer of 2010 when the first Joe Danger came out on the PS3.

They put the sequel out right as the fall gaming schedule is ramping up, and there are even more downloadable games coming out on a weekly basis. In 2010 it wasn't that hard to get noticed, especially in a slow summer month. I've always said the summer is a good time to launch a game, but publishers continue to be convinced it's to be avoided.

Unfortunately I'm already convinced the PS3 version is not selling any better since launching on Tuesday. The leaderboards on that version are even more barren than they are on the 360.

I can only speak for myself, but this game is just not a priority right now, and I was a big fan of the original. I'm heavy into XCOM right now, will probably be getting Dishonored later this month, and I'm also picking up Mark of the Ninja on Steam in a few days and Okami HD at the end of the month. I will totally buy this game in the future, but I'm not going to play it right now, so there's no point.

This is me. I wanted to buy the game but held off because I was still playing Mark of the Ninja.

Withnail

JD1-JD2 should become a text book example of how not to manage the community. With paltry sales of both games on 360 and an alienated PS3 fan base apparently ignoring JD2 I have to wonder whether Hello Games regret ever signing a deal with MS. They had a good thing going on PSN and could have also released on Steam and elsewhere without having to deal with MS and their rules on self-publishing and exclusivity. They probably thought XBLA meant easy money.

Top Bottom