• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 after 14 year old boy came to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

A man testified in court in 2014 that Penn State football coach Joe Paterno ignored his complaints of a sexual assault committed by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in 1976 when the man was a 14-year-old boy, according to new court documents unsealed Tuesday in a Philadelphia court.

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...1976-per-testimony-in-newly-unsealed-records/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Melt the statue down. Ignore the cult who would say it should go back up no matter what.

I was already emailed about this...

"Today, information is being released by the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas related to a lawsuit between Penn State and its insurer, Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association. For its part, the University does not plan to provide additional comment on these matters, as this information has largely already been covered by media.

Penn State's overriding concern has been, and remains, for the victims of Jerry Sandusky. While individuals hold different opinions, and may draw different inferences from the testimony about former Penn State employees, speculation by Penn State is not useful. We must be sensitive to all individuals involved, and especially to those who may be victims of child sexual abuse. It also makes it much more difficult for Penn State to create an environment where victims of sexual abuse feel comfortable coming forward and where students, faculty and staff feel protected in reporting wrongdoing.

Although settlements have been reached, it also is important to reiterate that the alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such. Some individuals deny the claims, and others are unable to defend themselves.

Speculation also serves to drive a wedge within the Penn State community. I would ask that we remember our University's primary mission is to focus on research, education and service. Let's be respectful of other viewpoints and focus on our mission. The University is committed to ensuring our campuses are safe for children, and to ongoing prevention and education programs and research that contribute to a better society.

I want to thank our Penn State community for caring so deeply about not only our university during these difficult times, but also for the victims of child abuse."

Eric J. Barron
Penn State President

Branduil

Their football team needs to be given the death penalty. Burn down their stadium and salt the ground where it stood.

What good does that do?

Everyone from that era is gone.

The obsessed over football culture that enabled this behavior very much still exists in State College. I don't necessarily think burning their football program to the ground is a good idea, but it seems like very little has happened to change their culture.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What good does that do?

I honestly don't care if they give the death penalty to the program or not. But couldn't you literally say that about any university that has gotten it? 5 or 10 years pass and "everybody from that era is gone." I think people that ask for it are doing so because of the message it sends to other schools. Don't put your sports program over doing the right thing or it can all come down.

Snaku

Banned

rwxVSap.jpg

Apathy

When a fucking shitty sport is more important than children getting molested. Fuck Paterno, fuck Penn state, and fuck football. Get your priorities straight.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So much for that statue those 200 alumni petitioned to get back.

When the college itself uses language like this TODAY:

Although settlements have been reached, it also is important to reiterate that the alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such. Some individuals deny the claims, and others are unable to defend themselves

You can bet the cultish pederast ignoring football idiots haven't budged.

Velcro Fly

We should also save some disdain for the NCAA for giving them a reprieve on a lot of sanctions they handed out in the first place, making Reggie Bush taking money while at USC be a worse thing than this.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Something something conspiracy/jealousy something something hearsay/"alleged".

Unfortunately this won't convince anyone that has chosen the narrative that Paterno was completely innocent and the football program is fine.

I honestly don't care if they give the death penalty to the program or not. But couldn't you literally say that about any university that has gotten it? 5 or 10 years pass and "everybody from that era is gone." I think people that ask for it are doing so because of the message it sends to other schools. Don't put your sports program over doing the right thing or it can all come down.
I really want to say we live in a time where something like this can never be covered up by a sports program again, but then I look at Baylor

But he was everyone's dad? :(

I always say that hero worship can be so toxic as to keep people from addressing things that need to be addressed. I've no doubt that the old man will remain an icon to some people even after reading this

I saw the email this morning before the story broke. The only reason I even knew there was going to be a story is because our university president keeps emailing us every time there's going to be more news released to ignore any news we hear. I don't think he's understands how badly his emails are having the opposite effect of his desire to cover up the story.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

How brave of the people being sued by their insurance company to not pay to claim that its not known that these people knew while disregarding the testimony of victims.

Fuck the Paterno apologists.

Sephzilla

What good does that do?

The university still profits from that era. Penn State Football should absolutely be given the death penalty and the current players and coaches associated with Penn State should be allowed to transfer to other schools without any penalty

The NCAA only backed down on the sanctions because they didn't have the authority to go as far as they did. There was no way they can go even farther with a death penalty. Penn State absolutely deserved it though especially considering so many people from that school actually think they were treated unfairly

Cabal

This is so fucking sad. Had Paterno done something then, how many sexual assaults could have been prevented? The fact that the school is still in defense mode is crazy. It makes me sick to my stomach.

At this point, I don't see how anyone could defend something like this...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This school deserved to have their entire football program wiped from the planet, not reinstated after a year or two. Absolute garbage.

And don't give me the, "bu bu but what about the current players who had nothing to do with it?" NCAA could easily have let them transfer without a 1-year redshirt season to fix the issue.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This school deserved to have their entire football program wiped from the planet, not reinstated after a year or two. Absolute garbage.

And don't give me the, "bu bu but what about the current players who had nothing to do with it?" NCAA could easily have let them transfer without a 1-year redshirt season to fix the issue.

The NCAA was going to get their pants sued off if they kept the sanctions in place. They didn't have standing to punish them unfortunately.

No surprise, anything to protect his football team and school, such a piece of shit.

And as someone who lives in central PA the cult will continue on strongly I'm sure.

Hopefully the school suffers in admissions going forward. I know I'd rather walk into traffic before sending my children to that school. Fucking pathetic pedo enablers out there.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I wonder if Joe Paterno let his son, Jay, be alone with Sandusky when he was a little kid. He would have been 8 or so when this poor kid told Joe what Sandusky did to him.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I wonder if Joe Paterno let his son, Jay, be alone with Sandusky when he was a little kid. He would have been 8 or so when this poor kid told Joe what Sandusky did to him.

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure which would be worse. If he did or if he didn't.

Fox318

He had more important things to worry about than his son, like incoming QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom