• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 after 14 year old boy came to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That's an interesting question. I'm not sure which would be worse. If he did or if he didn't.
I would say it would be worse if he did. If he kept Jay from being alone with Sandusky, then that's clear evidence that he believed what he heard about Sandusky and really just didn't give a fuck as long as he could keep winning.

Hazmat

It's a shame that Paterno's on the lam in hell, assholes will always be able to claim that it isn't proven that he knew because there never any charges.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Melt the statue, pour the molten metal onto his fucking grave, salt the earth afterwards.

Fucking repulsive.

Didn't we already know Paterno (and Penn State) covered this all up for decades after Sandusky got busted? Or is this coming up again because idiots are petitioning for this piece of shit's statue to be restored?

giga

I was already emailed about this...
Third paragraph is some horseshit and the fact that they needed to peddle this out in the face of the victims says everything you need to know about this institution. The correct response would be to accept the horrors that happened under your institution and do everything to denounce the perpetrators that not only committed these acts, but didn't act when they were revealed.

From the deadspin article...

In compiling his report, Williams was given access to information about Penn State’s settlements. This is confidential information, and in addition to citing two more widely known incidents (including that witnessed by Mike McQueary), the report appears to have unearthed four new cases that were not publicly known:
  • A 1976 incident where one alleged victim made a report to Joe Paterno.
  • A 1987 instance of improper sexual contact between Sandusky and a minor that was witnessed by then-assistant coach Joe Sarra.
  • A 1988 instance of improper sexual contact between Sandusky and a child that was witnessed by then-assistant coach Kevin O’Dea.
  • A 1988 incident, the report of which was referred to then-athletic director Jim Tarman.

Several assistants of Paterno and many different iterations of the Penn State Athletic Department found this behavior out during multiple incidents spanning many years and collectively chose to protected him. They failed the "do the right thing" test every time. The bottom line is this: A predatory child rapist worked for Penn State and used his position of authority to molest kids, thanks to being enabled by the university. They actively covered this thing up for 34+ years and only relented when it was out of their hands. Paterno was trash, every good or triumphant achievement he had is forever tainted

Futureman

I guess there's still like a tiny string of hope for Penn State hopefuls that this all somehow didn't happen but this is looking horrible. Decades of abuse reported and no action.

Such a weird situation because my GF's parents are die hard Penn Staters. Just something I'll have to bite my tongue on around them.

Big-E

That email. You would think they would want to distance themselves, but nope. That email is in complete denial.

LifEndz

I thought we knew this already?

Paterno is clearly a piece of shit who cared more about his own career than other peoples' lives.

Same. When I saw this thread I thought someone bumped the old one.

Either way, really horrible thing for the victims to have experienced. Molested, ask for help and basically get ignored. Terrible.

giga

"I would ask that we remember our University's primary mission is to focus on research, education and service."

Guess you guys wouldn't mind a lifetime football ban, yeah?

But remember child rape not worthy of punishment according to the NCAA. Reggie Bush's parents parents taking money to have him leave school early is near death penalty worthy.

Melt that fucking statue, turn it into a plaque, hang it over the stadium entrance that says something along the lines of "We promise to never again place our program before the needs of our community. Those who wear our colors and represent our school will swear to this."

Fuck Paterno, the NCAA, and his apologists.

The obsessed over football culture that enabled this behavior very much still exists in State College. I don't necessarily think burning their football program to the ground is a good idea, but it seems like very little has happened to change their culture.
Yeah, their initial punishment was very light all things considered. Penn State should have had to learn to live life without football indefinitely. It's a cultural problem that has only worsened since the NCAA managed to make themselves look like the villains in all this. The grossly-inflated importance placed on football (not just in State College, but everywhere) is what allowed this to happen.

By leaving the program intact and then backtracking on the actual penalties, the NCAA ensured that no lessons would be learned from all of this. There's no better evidence of that than what's been happening at Baylor.

ironmang

Crazy, that shit was going on my whole life. I'm 40.

I can't even begin to imagine the number of victims who haven't and won't come forward. Who can blame them the way victims are treated in this country. Checked facebook (because I like causing myself pain apparently) and already saw a bunch of people saying this guy was lying and just trying to get attention. Others basically pleading for the media and people to "leave the poor dead guy alone". Many of these people holding their children in their profile pictures (which shouldn't matter but looks extra appalling).

Fuck Penn state melt that statue down and stop this shit already. Dude deserves absolutely ZERO respect and admiration. The fact that people come to his defense makes me sick to my stomach

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was already emailed about this...

Yep, I got the email too.

On one hand, this John Doe 150 could be fabricating it all.

But on the other hand, Paterno himself admitted before he died that he both could have and should have done more, so yeah he admitted to knowing about it and doing nothing.

So I, even as a Penn State grad, believe that Paterno was in fact a piece of shit who placed his friendship with Sandusky and more importantly his coaching career above all else, including the safety of boys and men from abuse.

Fuck Joe Paterno, may he rot in hell for his cowardice and inaction.

Krejlooc

Banned
PS Guys the Statue was already melted down. The lettering on the Science Building at PSU is the old Joe Paterno statue.

Krejlooc

Banned
Didn't we already know Paterno (and Penn State) covered this all up for decades after Sandusky got busted? Or is this coming up again because idiots are petitioning for this piece of shit's statue to be restored?

This is new. This is the second time it's been found that Joe Paterno knew and did nothing.

Futureman

Paterno himself admitted before he died that he both could have and should have done more, so yeah he admitted to knowing about it and doing nothing.[/B]

This is really what is pretty crazy. He admitted himself he should have done more to stop children being sexually molested and yet we still have people that want his statue put back up.

hiryu

The only reason all of this is coming out again is because of a lawsuit where the insurance agency is trying to get money back from PSU, because PSU knew about the incidents for so long and did nothing to stop it.

You have to love that letter from the President of the University. The school should be shutdown and made an example of.

cwmartin

"Although settlements have been reached, it also is important to reiterate that the alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such. Some individuals deny the claims, and others are unable to defend themselves."

"and others are unable to defend themselves."

Oh what a shame those spineless dickfucks can't defend themselves. I'm utterly ashamed of that email and have no ties to the University at all. I would be mortified if my alma matter said something as ridiculous as this.

Draxal

The new part is that Tom Bradley ( current UCLA def coordinator) and Greg Schiano (current Ohio State Buckeyes def coordinator) knew what Sanduskey did. Schiano witnessing it like McQueary did and Bradly hearing it from both McQuerry and Schiano.

Futureman

You have to wonder why though if this 14 year old was telling adults and Paterno himself why nobody did anything? Why did the boy's parents not go to the authorities?

Calamari41

41 > 38
We should also save some disdain for the NCAA for giving them a reprieve on a lot of sanctions they handed out in the first place, making Reggie Bush taking money while at USC be a worse thing than this.

Reggie Bush, who didn't even take money from USC but rather from an agent who was trying to get him to leave the school. And USC was (is) crippled for an era because they didn't know about it but "should have."

But systemic, sanctioned rape of children for generations? "It's all good, you can have your scholarships back"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah,

How do Schiano and Bradley keep their current jobs after this is the real question.

Hopefully someone (Deadspin) puts the feet to the fire of Ohio State and UCLA.

You have to wonder why though if this 14 year old was telling adults and Paterno himself why nobody did anything? Why did the boy's parents not go to the authorities?

It takes a lot of fortitude, especially well before an open dialogue about child abuse was opened, to accuse some of the most powerful men in the state of Pennsylvania of being party to child abuse. Most people wouldn't want to face the onslaught of negativity and accusations, especially in a world where their side of the story might not be heard.

Draxal

Yeah,

How do Schiano and Bradley keep their current jobs after this is the real question.

Hopefully someone (Deadspin) puts the feet to the fire of Ohio State and UCLA.

Bradley is 99% gone, don't know what to say about Schiano.

UCLA was pretty extreme in their vetting of Bradley, but they couldn't get the sealed testimony from this trial for obvious reasons.

Buckeye fans want Schiano out, but he is Meyer's boy.

Sanjuro

"Although settlements have been reached, it also is important to reiterate that the alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such. Some individuals deny the claims, and others are unable to defend themselves."

"and others are unable to defend themselves."

Oh what a shame those spineless dickfucks can't defend themselves. I'm utterly ashamed of that email and have no ties to the University at all. I would be mortified if my alma matter said something as ridiculous as this.

I'm still waiting for my email from the University of Massachusetts stating to hold our horses on burying Bill Cosby.

I'M WAITING UMASS!

This is really what is pretty crazy. He admitted himself he should have done more to stop children being sexually molested and yet we still have people that want his statue put back up.

Can't we just look past a man's criminal negligence and disregard for the well being and safety of students because he's dead and helped people throw balls? /s

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If anything should have given a program the death penalty, this was it.

And the NCAA ended up rescinding pretty much all of the punishments except for the mandated monetary contributions to child abuse programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom