• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Man

My favorite thing about Joshuu is his dumbass haircut.
tumblr_inline_nyt5e4hLzF1tqrltz_540.png

Why does it look like that.

Qurupeke

Does Part 5 have a bad start or something? I'm still early on it, just after the first fight with the zippers guy, but I'm not really feeling it. Also, this Jojo-Dio child has such an overpowered stand...

Matsukaze

Does Part 5 have a bad start or something? I'm still early on it, just after the first fight with the zippers guy, but I'm not really feeling it. Also, this Jojo-Dio child has such an overpowered stand...
Early on, Part 5 feels super shaky (and to be honest, I felt it stayed that way for a lot of the arc, which is partially why it is my least favorite).

Of the various beginnings for all the arcs, I'd say Part 5 produces the greatest suspicion in the reader (at least it did in my case, YMMV) that Araki isn't actually sure how he wants to proceed with the rest of the story. I felt like certain plot threads were dropped before they reached a satisfactory stopping point/actually went anywhere (for example, as much as I understand why it would have been awkward to have Koichi keep pursuing Giorno, I thought it felt really forced to remove Koichi from the picture when he did).

And yes, Gold Experience is a beast of a Stand that only gets stronger and weirder from here on out.

Nottle

Part 5 has probably for me the least consistent powers. Like out of the gate Gold Experience seems more useful than maybe any other stand ever but it isn't used in particularly clever ways like Crazy Diamond was. Gold experience's rules of damage being reflected back to the attacker, the ability to make one's brain think faster, and the inability to control what he brings back to life are sort of forgotten.
The main antagonist is also hardly present which is lame.

It's sort of a lot of wasted potential. On paper Gio should be like the coolest hero with the swagger and style of Dio but the noble determination of Johnathan. Going in I also thought they could have done a lot more with the returning couple of characters since the guys that do make a reappearance are my favorite characters in the series.
It feels the most generic Shonen of any of the parts to me.

TheFlow

Banned
Just wanted to say I finished season 1 of jojo.

Hands down some of the best anime I have ever watched. The op playing in the last fight brought instant feels

Edit: I am dipping out of this thread now :p

Thud

Part 5 is great but your enjoyment of it is probably dependent on your ability to read either Japanese, French or Italian.

I think I had just finished part 4, which has an excellent ending. This got me hyped for more jojo and I got hooked on it. Read through part 5 and 6 fairly quickly and joined SBR.

Those three parts became my favorites. With anime and English licensed manga the entry level is much better for newcomers. I'm just glad the series got the recognition it deserves.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, looking back on some chapters of 8, who was the Valentine-looking fella in the flashback? I mean didn't he die in SBR?

Today's episode didn't cover anything past the Nijimura Brothers arc, but at least we know Echoes will be only one part. So that means we're gonna go at a pacing of 5 chapters per episode when appropriate then?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
You know, looking back on some chapters of 8, who was the Valentine-looking fella in the flashback? I mean didn't he die in SBR?

We still don't know who flashback man was. Araki will hopefully bring back flashback man in one of the upcoming flashback chapters.

That character might not be related to Valentine though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We still don't know who flashback man was. Araki will hopefully bring back flashback man in one of the upcoming flashback chapters.

That character might not be related to Valentine though.

Has the same hairstyle though.

Makes you wonder if he was a less loony descendant of Valentine.

Thud

Today's episode didn't cover anything past the Nijimura Brothers arc, but at least we know Echoes will be only one part. So that means we're gonna go at a pacing of 5 chapters per episode when appropriate then?

I can see them pushing it for the small arcs (3-5 chapters), doing two parters for medium arcs (6-8 chapters) and 3 eps for the big arcs (9-11 chapters).

That's not gonna fit in 39 episodes.

Eumi

So after part 3's first season ended, I went and began on the manga. I'm planning on waiting till part 8 is finished before reading that too, so for now I'm done, after finishing SBR today.

Holy crap SBR is the greatest part of JoJo by a country mile. Johnny is easily the most interesting JoJo (not the best per se) by virtue of him actually being a weak and bad person at heart. Gyro is the best Zeppelli without question. Diego is an amazing reimagining of Dio, the newer supporting cast like Lucy and Pocoloco are all amazing, and the actual race itself is drawn in such a way that, as a lover of the Grand National, actually made me feel like I was watching a race rather than reading a comic.

D4C feels like a King Crimson done right. His power is horribly complex, but explained well enough that I have no problems with it at all, which is rare for a villain stand. Valentine is a great villain, not the best, but different and interesting.

And finally Alternate World Diego's reveal and the chapters running till the end is easily my favourite JoJo moment. Bringing back The World nearly two decades on may be a cheesy bit of fanservice but it just felt so right. Diego used all of DIO's classic tricks, but altered them in a way fitting of a more cunning, self-made counterpart.

SBR is easily my favourite comic of all time, and the best thing about it is it can be recommended to people who have never read JoJo. Araki did what no other long running comic series can ever seem to do, reboot themselves and actually use this fresh start to its advantage, drawing on the strengths of previous works without relying on their continuity.

Qurupeke

Done with Part 5, I only have Part 6 now.

Part 5 wasn't as bad as I thought at first. Actually, even though Diavolo was lame, the whole final sequence with Silver Chariot, the spirits changing bodies and the arrow was really good. Easily one of my favourite moments in the series. Though Araki seems to really hate Polnareff, considering he brought him back, only to turn him to a turtle. lol Anyway, while the whole setting and the characters weren't as good as Part 4, I found the battles being vastly superior. There was some great synergy between allies and villains, that made the battles a lot more exciting. The battle on the train was one of my top battles. Also, some very interesting stands, like Baby Face and Notorious BIG.

The main characters weren't really bad, but a downgrade compared to the colourful cast of Part 4. Mista was the only part of the gang I really liked, the best character of it. Maybe Buccelatti to a lesser extent. Trish was also fine, when Mista was in her body, at least. Also, I liked Fugo, but he barely did anything and then left... The biggest disappointment though is Diavolo and GioGio. Diavolo had a very interesting quirk, but other than that he had nothing going for him. And the stand, despite having a pretty fearsome look, wasn't exactly interesting. On the other hand, GioGio was a bit too perfect sometimes, and others just useless. Probably my least favourite Jojo, other than Jonathan.

Thud

So after part 3's first season ended, I went and began on the manga. I'm planning on waiting till part 8 is finished before reading that too, so for now I'm done, after finishing SBR today.

Holy crap SBR is the greatest part of JoJo by a country mile. Johnny is easily the most interesting JoJo (not the best per se) by virtue of him actually being a weak and bad person at heart. Gyro is the best Zeppelli without question. Diego is an amazing reimagining of Dio, the newer supporting cast like Lucy and Pocoloco are all amazing, and the actual race itself is drawn in such a way that, as a lover of the Grand National, actually made me feel like I was watching a race rather than reading a comic.

D4C feels like a King Crimson done right. His power is horribly complex, but explained well enough that I have no problems with it at all, which is rare for a villain stand. Valentine is a great villain, not the best, but different and interesting.

And finally Alternate World Diego's reveal and the chapters running till the end is easily my favourite JoJo moment. Bringing back The World nearly two decades on may be a cheesy bit of fanservice but it just felt so right. Diego used all of DIO's classic tricks, but altered them in a way fitting of a more cunning, self-made counterpart.

SBR is easily my favourite comic of all time, and the best thing about it is it can be recommended to people who have never read JoJo. Araki did what no other long running comic series can ever seem to do, reboot themselves and actually use this fresh start to its advantage, drawing on the strengths of previous works without relying on their continuity.

The thing that's great about SBR is it's a race that evolves into something else. First you have the competition, then the stands are back and at the end it ties back to the rest.

While it's a stand alone part that concludes itself, it is part 7 and not just a jojo spin off it started out at.

Jojolion is also very different from the rest even though the setting is "well known". At first the ending of stone ocean seems like shit went too far, but then Araki shows what he does next. I think it's a pure stroke of genius not many can pull off. It certainly helps that after all this time, this series is still developing.

jgminto

The only thing I don't like about SBR is how they abandon most of the characters introduced in the beginning. It's basically just Johnny, Gyro, Diego, Hotpants, Wekapipo and Valentine after the first half.

Forgot most of this arc but damn the backstory of the Nijimuras and the dad crying over the picture hit me hard.

The stretch from Johnny hitting Valentine with the infinite rotation to the end is just so amazing. Break My Heart, Break Your Heart is my favorite manga arc ever, and I loved Diego coming back with The World.

Steel Ball Run was what put Jojo over Hajime no Ippo as my favorite manga of all time.

Pappasman

Great post and I totally agree. Bringing back the slightly different DIO was amazing. I lost my shit when he was revealed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Frimaire

I marked out so fucking hard at this part.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I actually love that Jolyne design, haha

Joseph still best JoJo, even in fanart. Look at that lovable smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom