• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Forget explaining Stands, trying explaining these fabulous poses instaed
JvGCTqo.png

Doukou

Reimi got her justice though.

So Notorious BIG is just a nightmarish curse on those who wronged the user?

EDIT: Huh so there was a chapter that hints at Doppio being
Diavolo
I'd rather this one got skipped in the anime :p

Its not really a secret. It would probably just delay the secret from start of episode to mid/end of an episode.

Ezalc

Wow, why do people hate Giorno again? He actually sounds pretty cool. Does this explain why he gets the most OP Jojo protag stand?

Too broken of a stand, stupid hair donuts, and he's just as much as a cardboard entity as Jotaro. It doesn't help that Bruno is infinitely more likable than he is and has a more fun ability. Also Mista is better than Giorno too, thinking about it basically all the others are more fun than Giorno.

Erigu

fwiw, I've never found any stand particularly confusing, not even Gold Experience, but it's kind of hard to describe how they make sense in words. They just make intuitive sense, but not really in a logical way?
I'd say that's called "not really making sense".

cntr

Banned
Well, I can already guess which direction this conversation is heading, so it's time to talk about...literally anything else.

so, um

how's the weather?

Too broken of a stand, stupid hair donuts, and he's just as much as a cardboard entity as Jotaro. It doesn't help that Bruno is infinitely more likable than he is and has a more fun ability. Also Mista is better than Giorno too, thinking about it basically all the others are more fun than Giorno.
Is there really such a thing as "too broken of a stand" in the world of Jojo? I mean The Hand is supposed to be too broken, but it's a jobber stand currently.

Pompadour

fwiw, I've never found any stand particularly confusing, not even Gold Experience, but it's kind of hard to describe how they make sense in words. They just make intuitive sense, but not really in a logical way?

don't start arguing about King Crimson again, please.

Gold Experience isn't really more confusing than any other stand. GE, like most stands, never has its limits set in stone because Araki doesn't want to box himself in. And GE's power is so open to interpretation that it can practically do anything (kind of like Josuke in Part 8's stand can basically do anything as its limits haven't been established).

The only real confusing stands are ones where Araki introduces a stand in a real mindfuckery way and then explains the stand's power which doesn't adequately cover the crazy shit it was able to do when it was first revealed. I think both Bites the Dust and King Crimson suffer from this.

Ezalc

The Hand is neutered by the fact that Okuyasu is too stupid to use it effectively. Giorno, does not have that problem. Also yes, there is such a thing as too broken of a stand as evidenced by Gold Experience Requiem.

cntr

Banned
You could get away with a lot of trolling with weather control powers.

Your brother has to go for a meeting at his local church? Block the roads with snow! They're holding a loud concert near your house? Rain on them!

and so on

I am having so much fucking difficulty trying to figure where that dude's elbow is bending and where the elbow ends and the arm begins. I feel like the stands make more sense than the poses.

The turtle hiding everything just makes it look like he's got a robot arm bent backwards holding the turtle and I straight up almost died laughing. Panel being B&W did not help differentiate everything either.

Pompadour

Is there really such a thing as "too broken of a stand" in the world of Jojo? I mean The Hand is supposed to be too broken, but it's a jobber stand currently.

I never really bought how overpowered The Hand is as a stand despite what Keicho said. Sure, it's really good and Okuyasu can't use it but it's roughly as deadly to humans as Crazy Diamond is when you're in its effective range. Punches that can crumple steel or obliterate concrete should kill people so having the ability to erase any matter is only more useful when you're fighting someone sturdier like Dio (as erasing his body would be way deadlier to him then a punch of hard punches).

Then again, theoretically The Hand should be able to erase stands like Sheer Heart Attack which would have made that fight trivial.

If Josuke had The Hand I'm sure we would have gotten several dozen inventive ways for the space cutting power to be used. It's another power that allows the user to get real creative.

I never really bought how overpowered The Hand is as a stand despite what Keicho said. Sure, it's really good and Okuyasu can't use it but it's roughly as deadly to humans as Crazy Diamond is when you're in its effective range. Punches that can't crumple steel or obliterate concrete should kill people so having the ability to erase any matter is only more useful when you're fighting someone sturdier like Dio (as erasing his body would be way deadlier to him then a punch of hard punches).

Then again, theoretically The Hand should be able to erase stands like Sheer Heart Attack which would have made that fight trivial.

If Josuke had The Hand I'm sure we would have gotten several dozen inventive ways for the space cutting power to be used. It's another power that allows the user to get real creative.
That's why I kind of think that your stand is only as OP as the users imagination allows it to be.

cntr

Banned
Ability-based battle series have to have limitations on power usage, otherwise it'd get kind of hard to write, yeah? And personally, "They're dumb and lazy." or "They haven't figured it out yet." are better explanations than "They have ninja cancer." or whatever

Which is why there are like 16 different forms of Nen for example and you can only get so OP until you max out or rush your potential and severely gimp yourself? I always felt that Nen was kept better in check than Stands pretty much limiting OPness to people that have been at it for a severely long time. Okuyasu wouldn't be much for example in HxH though in Jojo he's at least not a push over.

Yeah you really can't luck/rush into being a Nen powerhouse. Gon and Killua are recognized as having GOAT potential, but HxH always goes to severe lengths to show that "They ain't quite there yet." Meanwhile in Jojo you get a stand, your stand is either OP as fuck or "why do I have to guilt people into suicide to not get my shit fucked up?" But at the same time you can guilt a OP dude into killing himself if you know the inner workings of your stand and are creative enough to exploit said ability before you get your block knocked off.

Ezalc

The problem with HxH is that all these interesting types of Nen and Gon gets the most boring and simple one that has the least amount of random shit possibly. So Togashi has to keep doing these bullshit, even for like Jojo standards, asspulls to try and keep him even somewhat relevant.

Okuyasu's stand has a lot of scary uses, getting a person with a lot of spatial awareness his stand would be pretty fucking devastating.

The problem with HxH is that all these interesting types of Nen and Gon gets the most boring and simple one that has the least amount of random shit possibly. So Togashi has to keep doing these bullshit, even for like Jojo standards, asspulls to try and keep him even somewhat relevant.

Okuyasu's stand has a lot of scary uses, getting a person with a lot of spatial awareness his stand would be pretty fucking devastating.
Only problem with Gon is that he didn't have the brains to think up a better use for his Nen, but that's besides the point. Gon's not a thinker like Kurapika or Killua, he'll put in the work to get strong, but he's not going to put in the thinking time to best figure out how to tailor his Nen into something that can give him a tactical advantage. Oh god imagine fucking Hayato with Za Hando.

Ezalc

Only problem with Gon is that he didn't have the brains to think up a better use for his Nen, but that's besides the point. Gon's not a thinker like Kurapika or Killua, he'll put in the work to get strong, but he's not going to put in the thinking time to best figure out how to tailor his Nen into something that can give him a tactical advantage. Oh god imagine fucking Hayato with Za Hando.

This is the thing though, his ability is not interesting in the slightest which makes the protagonist of the manga boring. I'm surprised that HxH got as big as it did given that Gon is such a gigantic bore. Killua and Kurapika are infinitely more interesting and I'm still pissed that Leorio is stuck as some comic relief character and hasn't been allowed to actually develop his abilities.

This is the thing though, his ability is not interesting in the slightest which makes the protagonist of the manga boring. I'm surprised that HxH got as big as it did given that Gon is such a gigantic bore. Killua and Kurapika are infinitely more interesting and I'm still pissed that Leorio is stuck as some comic relief character and hasn't been allowed to actually develop his abilities.
I wouldn't exactly call Gon a bore, he's just balanced out by his crew in a far better way than Jotaro was. Though I will admit Killua can function perfectly fine and survive a battle without being baby sat by Gon unlike Kakyoin for example. Though I do see where you're coming from. You're not going to get a good fight scene out of Gon outside of a couple of stand outs like him fighting Hisoka or fighting somebody that's leagues below him. Best fights are usually with Killua or some OP dude against a jobber crew like with Uvogin against those mafia mutant dudes or Feitan vs Zazan.

Ezalc

That's what surprises me about the series, for such a long series with a rich world. Most of the big protag fights are, frankly, dull. I was surprised at how little there was of it given it's been around so long, I thought people kind of over exaggerated the hiatuses that Togashi takes but jesus, there's been like nothing resolved for the most part.

I honestly consider HxH and Jojo two very different sides of the same coin. They both have strengths and weaknesses that the other one doesn't have. HxH seems to be more cohesive, yet there's a lot more Jojo than HxH and it's put out fairly consistently. HxH is pretty much published every time a fucking unicorn takes a shit or something. One does story very well...they both do actually though Togashi seems to care a lot more about mechanics that actually makes sense even if both of them are pulling shit out of their ass. Togashi will at least ponder if it makes sense meanwhile Araki's like "fuck it dis shit's cool, pose motherfuckers." That being said I have nothing but the utmost respect for both mangaka's.

That's the reason why I haven't read a single page after the Chrollo and Hisoka fight...I just do not want to hit Hiatus x Hiatus status. Bad enough I have to wait for Berserk to start up again.

Ezalc

I just stopped at the anime finishing. Really disliked the chimera ant arc though, so maybe the manga just isn't for me.

I understand the hate for that arc, but I'll be damned if I say I can board that hate train. It's just apparently just not for everybody since it played against what everybody tends to expect for a massive shonen arc.

Cause despite Gon and Killua not even meeting Meruem I always liked how Togashi put effort into characterizing Meruem and the rest of the Royal Guards. Meruem looked like Cell, but that dude got like a 1000 times more characterization than Cell did and don't get me started with Komugi. I had no idea I was going to care about her the way I did and not to mention best bro Killua getting some much needed time to shine. It's definitely probably the most divisive shonen arc I can think of.

Ezalc

To be honest, right now I can't describe why I thought it was so bad. I finished watching the anime a few months ago but I just remember disliking that arc a lot. From that leader of the country that was set up for seemingly nothing, to them not showing Kite's fight, to Gon getting some bullshit powerup and then later getting healed as if nothing ever happened. It just seemed horribly paced and kept introducing things that went nowhere.

The one good thing though, was Morel and the fact that he used Deep Purple as attacks. Togashi even copying musical references from Araki.

remz

To be honest, right now I can't describe why I thought it was so bad. I finished watching the anime a few months ago but I just remember disliking that arc a lot. From that leader of the country that was set up for seemingly nothing,
Gyro existed to contextualise the NGL, and serve as motivation for the octopus and wolf guy.
to Gon getting some bullshit powerup and then later getting healed as if nothing ever happened.
This got left out of the anime, I think, but as a result of that powerup Gon can no longer use Nen. I don't think it's completely bullshit. I sort of like giving up all your power for a selfish burst thematically for Gon.

Agree with you on the bad pacing though... but I still really like the arc. it has some interesting themes on man vs beast, what it is to be human, strength and i always cry at the end whenever watching it.

wait a minute- this isn't the hxh thread

I love JoJo as a whole more than HxH as a whole but I think I love just the Chimera Ant arc itself more than JoJo. I get a feeling so complicated

Doukou

Chimera arc is great but suffers from pacing problems.

At the climax of the arc he introduces and complete late the character arc of Welfin.

Also while HxH is probably one of my favorite shouens, I feel the series has to many one-sided fights.

Ezalc

Gyro existed to contextualise the NGL, and serve as motivation for the octopus and wolf guy.
This got left out of the anime, I think, but as a result of that powerup Gon can no longer use Nen. I don't think it's completely bullshit. I sort of like giving up all your power for a selfish burst thematically for Gon.

Agree with you on the bad pacing though... but I still really like the arc. it has some interesting themes on man vs beast, what it is to be human, strength and i always cry at the end whenever watching it.

wait a minute- this isn't the hxh thread

They mention it that he won't be able to use nen again, but like any other shounen protag that bullshit will be as permanent as Gon's lost arm or the damage he did to his body to fight catmanlady.

Sure, Gyro was there for that but that whole part on his backstory just to have him never actually even really show up to do anything just makes him pointless overall.

Also, I don't think there's anything in HxH that comes close to Jojo for me. The powers might be interesting but it's been barely used overall that it can't compete with the sheer absurdity that stands have been for the last few decades.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Josuke, the Part 4 Josuke, is the only nonexistent character in the new universe right? Since the two Josukes in Part 8 don't even share his Stands. Even the Part 8 Kira has almost the same Killer Queen.

cntr

Banned
There's only two stands that exist in both universes, so that's probably a bad metric.

Josefumi's the alternate Josuke, and Kira is the alternate Jotaro + Kira, and thus Gappy is the alternate of both Jotaro and Josuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom