• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the...extensive discussion in the anime thread. They should just give the series to Trigger, then nobody wins.

Then again, that conversation is funny to me because I don't care that much about Part 4 outside of anything Kira does. The anime has been fun, but hasn't done much to change my opinion on that.

Thud

After reading the...extensive discussion in the anime thread. They should just give the series to Trigger, then nobody wins.

Then again, that conversation is funny to me because I don't care that much about Part 4 outside of anything Kira does. The anime has been fun, but hasn't done much to change my opinion on that.

Trigger can't do part 5.

There's eight Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe chapters including Rohan at the Louvre and Rohan Kishibe Goes to Gucci, there's a one-shot about Jolyne for the Gucci exhibition, and Dead Man's Questions.

There's also two other one-shots included with Dead Man's Questions (and a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe chapter), but they're not part of Jojo. And there's some one-shots he did pre-Jojo, but I dunno much about those.
Gucci is what I was forgetting. Was that collaboration done in the west too, or Japan only?

I NEED C MOON AND HEAVY WEATHER DAMMIT!

Part 6 is why it's hard for me to pick a "Favorite Stand". They are all so damn good!
Jail House Lock is one of my favorite stands, both visually and ability-wise. It's also one of the scariest, to me anyway.

I want Marilyn Manson to get animated so we can all laugh at the title "The Collector Marilyn Manson Part 1" again

Every time I hear his songs on the radio, I'm always reminded of Debt Collector Marylin Manson, which makes me chuckle.

There's that image of Jolyne on the NYC Gucci store, so I assume it was international
Have those two Gucci stories been collected in any books, or just that fashion magazine?

The "Kira is reincarnated" isn't canon right? It's kinda douchey if Kira gets special treatment.

Is it really reincarnation though? He has no Killer Queen and can't live a quiet life ever again. He's barely even Kira anymore, so I don't know if I can call that special treatment.

I'm assuming we're talking about Dead Man's Questions here.

Tizoc

Let us take this opportunity to acknolwedge the fact that there exists a stand whose super power is to attract meteors from outerspace to fall within its user's surrounding area.
You cant make this shit up

Speaking of which im thinking of starting a 'game' for the part 5 anime thread where people post a screenshot from an episode and include a news headline for it

cntr

Banned
The "Kira is reincarnated" isn't canon right? It's kinda douchey if Kira gets special treatment.
He's not reincarnated, he's a ghost who doesn't realize it. Like, he doesn't actually interact with any normal people during it, right? He only deals with supernatural demons and psychics.

cntr

Banned
The best part is that like, Limp Bizkit is a key part of Pucci's plan.

So a stand named Flaccid Pancake is plot-central to Stone Ocean.

Tizoc

So I'ma try and describe some of the events from Part 6 as news headline

Breaking News: Female prisoner suspected of shrinking inmates and forcing them to wear animal costumes for her entertainment

Breaking News: Deranged female prisoner locked in heated battle with invigorated prison warden as meteorites descend around them

Tizoc

Rereading Part 6, well more skimming through it and I just got to the part where Jotaro
PUNCHES JOLENE so she can use Stone Free to get them out of the illusion mist

cntr

Banned
YTkT1Lw.jpg
Underrated cover.

cntr

Banned
That's the volume where Diamond is Unbreakable ends and Vento Aureo begins, and Araki tried to mislead people in the first chapter by suggesting that Giorno was Jotaro's son, before second chapter surprise, it was Dio!

cntr

Banned
Nope, she's still alive. Dio left her alive for "mysterious reasons", as the narration says, maybe because she's an asshole. (She left 2 year old Giorno alone at home because she was more interested in parties, and let his stepdad physically abuse him.)

So I'ma try and describe some of the events from Part 6 as news headline

Breaking News: Florida Woman suspected of shrinking inmates and forcing them to wear animal costumes for her entertainment

Breaking News: Deranged Florida Woman locked in heated battle with invigorated prison warden as meteorites descend around them

ftfy, doesn't sound so weird now does it

Nope, she's still alive. Dio left her alive for "mysterious reasons", as the narration says, maybe because she's an asshole. (She left 2 year old Giorno alone at home because she was more interested in parties, and let his stepdad physically abuse him.)
"Lemme keep this bitch alive to see if my glorious sperm can awaken her stando potential."

cntr

Banned
There's a subtle implication there by the way, Giorno never falls sick from Dio's stand influence like Josuke did, because unlike Josuke, Giorno had such a shit childhood that he was already ready to get a stand, even if he didn't properly awaken it until later.

Pompadour

Wow, why do people hate Giorno again? He actually sounds pretty cool. Does this explain why he gets the most OP Jojo protag stand?

I don't get the hate at all for Part 5 in the Western Jojo community but 5 likely has the worst main protagonist and worst main antagonist combo in the series. Not that they're bad but the only protagonist I liked less was Jonathan and he had a great villain in Dio.

All the side characters are great, though, and Bucciarati is a top tier JoBro.

cntr

Banned
You know how mafiosos and mafia movies are written to be subtle and full of implications, right? Vento Aureo's written in the same way, but it got an English translation that destroyed all implication and subtlety.

So.

cntr

Banned
yeah, Giorno's like a mafioso, controlling the team from the back rather than being the front line fighter, and his emotions are pretty subtle. But the translation wiped out both of those, so it instead seems like he does nothing and is totally stoic.

You know how mafiosos and mafia movies are written to be subtle and full of implications, right? Vento Aureo's written in the same way, but it got an English translation that destroyed all implication and subtlety.

So.
Yeah it does seem like that unless you're fluent in Japanese the person complaining about it really hasn't even read Vento Aureo yet.
yeah, Giorno's like a mafioso, controlling the team from the back rather than being the front line fighter, and his emotions are pretty subtle. But the translation wiped out both of those, so it instead seems like he does nothing and is totally stoic.
So he's like FFVIII's Squall who got fucked by a bad translation?

Matsukaze

Wow, why do people hate Giorno again? He actually sounds pretty cool.
He's my least favorite JoJo because I find him less interesting than his counterparts (which admittedly is a consequence of the poor translation). I would still prefer reading about Giorno's adventures than those of probably 75% of other manga protagonists out there, though.

Also, I score him low because Bruno is the true hero of Part V. :p

Does this explain why he gets the most OP Jojo protag stand?
It's possible Gold Experience is so OP because Araki thought to himself "The wonder-child of Jonathan and Dio? He needs to be super powerful!", but personally I like to believe it was more a matter of Araki going "You know what would be cool?..."

I don't think I mafioso would take the whole 'from the back' thing so literally.

tumblr_inline_nd43y5YVVi1so9ikc.png

Doukou

Giorno is pretty boring at the start.
Not to mention his powers are handled pretty poorly. He gets three(create/reflect/slow) but maybe I need to reread part 5 he never uses the reflect/slow ever again. Then he gains a healing ability. Its problem in this part in general that Araki wrote some stands that he couldn't work around, with Purple Haze and King Crimson imo

That said Giorno vs Green Day is one of the best fights in the series

Also neither Giorno or Bruno were the main characters.
It was Mista

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it really reincarnation though? He has no Killer Queen and can't live a quiet life ever again. He's barely even Kira anymore, so I don't know if I can call that special treatment.

I'm assuming we're talking about Dead Man's Questions here.
He's not reincarnated, he's a ghost who doesn't realize it. Like, he doesn't actually interact with any normal people during it, right? He only deals with supernatural demons and psychics.

I thought he was traveling in the real world. So basically he's a different person now? Sucks though, Reimi needs dat justice.

Tizoc

Reimi got her justice though.

So Notorious BIG is just a nightmarish curse on those who wronged the user?

EDIT: Huh so there was a chapter that hints at Doppio being
Diavolo
I'd rather this one got skipped in the anime :p

cntr

Banned
fwiw, I've never found any stand particularly confusing, not even Gold Experience, but it's kind of hard to describe how they make sense in words. They just make intuitive sense, but not really in a logical way?

don't start arguing about King Crimson again, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom