• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tumblr_mpqf6j3OYY1s27erqo1_1280.jpg

Holyshit at Magician Red's beak. lmao. Hierophant Green looks like it has a gas mask on too, didn't always seem like that? Decent designs aside from that however.

jgminto

Well that would probably depend on how Ripple works on stands. If he touched the user it'd be game over though. Also he'd lack the ability to go toe to toe with most ora ora stands, maybe if his stand turned into a humanoid one like Jolyne's Stone Free. Though I guess he could make Hermit Purple boxing gloves...or something like that.

Gazoinks

It's Joseph. He'd probably set up some ludicrous plot where they try to Ora Ora but Hermit Purple turns it around and they punch themselves in the face.

JohnDoe

Banned
how hard would a young joseph with hermit purple wreck? at least half of post-part-3 stands, is my guess

According to Stardust Crusaders: User's "inherent" ripple power = User's Stand power

Which explains why Joseph is so weak in Part 3, because he is an old man who stopped Ripple training decades ago.

My guess is that Young Joseph would have developed a completely different version of Purple Hermit when he was young.

Crocodile

According to Stardust Crusaders: User's "inherent" ripple power = User's Stand power

Which explains why Joseph is so weak in Part 3, because he is an old man who stopped Ripple training decades ago.

My guess is that Young Joseph would have developed a completely different version of Purple Hermit when he was young.

I was wondering why Joesph's stand was so different from everybody else's. I mean I kind of assumed something of the sort but I as a neophyte to the franchise it's probably dangerous to make assumptions :p Obviously Jotaro is the protagonist of Part 3, not Joesph so it's to be expected that Joesph would take a backseat role but after how awesome he was in Part II, I'm going to be pretty upset if Joesph spends all/most of Part III jobbing it up :(

I'm still super curious as to how/why Stands come to replace(?) Ripple or what exactly Dio's plans are (No Spoilers PLZ). For as much as I know from general cultural osmosis, there is still a ton about this franchise I don't know and I'm looking forward to having the gaps filled in for me :)

jgminto

I'm so glad they're not forcing to use Sugita voice, this is much better.. as expected from Jet (Bebop) VA.

Yeah I'd say his VO as Old Joseph in ASB was the weakest in the game.

He would probably work as Part 4 Joseph though. He can do the senile old man voice well.

Astarte

I was wondering why Joesph's stand was so different from everybody else's. I mean I kind of assumed something of the sort but I as a neophyte to the franchise it's probably dangerous to make assumptions :p Obviously Jotaro is the protagonist of Part 3, not Joesph so it's to be expected that Joesph would take a backseat role but after how awesome he was in Part II, I'm going to be pretty upset if Joesph spends all/most of Part III jobbing it up :(

I'm still super curious as to how/why Stands come to replace(?) Ripple or what exactly Dio's plans are (No Spoilers PLZ). For as much as I know from general cultural osmosis, there is still a ton about this franchise I don't know and I'm looking forward to having the gaps filled in for me :)

The ripple isn't really necessary anymore due to a combination of a lack of vampires and a lot of punchghosts. Don't worry about holes in the story, Araki forgets things all the time. All you have to do take a fun ride down the Jojo lane.

JohnDoe

Banned
The ripple isn't really necessary anymore due to a combination of a lack of vampires and a lot of punchghosts. Don't worry about holes in the story, Araki forgets things all the time. All you have to do take a fun ride down the Jojo lane.

Pretty much this. The holes are more evident in Part 3 though.

From Part 7 on it really seems like Araki is building a coherent story throughout the parts.

I'm betting the main villain in part 8
is a Zeppeli (or in some capacity, DIO)

Bringing back Dio would be kinda phoned in. Personally I hope Diego is the last we see of Dio in a while. A new Zeppeli in a Japanese setting would be weird as well. Maybe for Part 9?
The current focus is way more interesting imo.

Obviously Jotaro is the protagonist of Part 3, not Joesph so it's to be expected that Joesph would take a backseat role but after how awesome he was in Part II, I'm going to be pretty upset if Joesph spends all/most of Part III jobbing it up :(
Araki's writing gets better starting from Part 3 so it's not just Poor Little Jojo anymore, every protagonist gets decent screen time.

Also no more DIO in Part 8 please. Even if Diego was a better DIO than DIO himself.

Ripple = 波紋
Stand = 幽波紋

When first introduced in the series, Stands were an evolution of the ripple power taking a spectral manifestation and developping new, different powers depending of its host.
Later, Araki did some retconning so it may not be longer exactly the case, so it's not really that important :)

Ezalc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BivZ730LHQ8#t=360

*Part 7 spoilers*
I enjoyed this video a lot, plus this specific section made me tear up.
Thanks Japan, for giving me a MAD and feels in the same video.

I will never refer to Gyro as jye-row. That sounds awful, I'll just continue calling him gee-roh.

One of the few things that bothers me about stands is usually how helpless the users are. There are some of them that can kind of hold their own, but if you got somebody like Young Joseph even with Hermit Purple's current function I think he would be able to wreck shit just by attacking the users everytime. If the stand is still a physical manisfestation of the Ripple then he would have been able to beat those things up too.

Tizoc

how hard would a young joseph with hermit purple wreck? at least half of post-part-3 stands, is my guess

We talking after he defeated Cars? He would've ended WW2 early is my guess.
Which begs the question of why Araki or anyone hasn't written 'Joseph's Bizarre WW2 Adventure' yet.

Astarte

I will never refer to Gyro as jye-row. That sounds awful, I'll just continue calling him gee-roh.

I call him Jye-row because of how gyroscope is pronounced, makes a bit of sense. I don't think I've heard anyone call it a Gee-roh Scope before.

Ezalc

I call him Jye-row because of how gyroscope is pronounced, makes a bit of sense. I don't think I've heard anyone call it a Gee-roh Scope before.

To me that makes more sense because that's how I see it being pronounced it given Gyro's Italian background, also jye-row reminds me of vaca jairo. Only brazil-gaf will get that last part but yeah.

Astarte

To me that makes more sense because that's how I see it being pronounced it given Gyro's Italian background, also jye-row reminds me of vaca jairo. Only brazil-gaf will get that last part but yeah.

I guess both ways can be right. I can see Johnny using Jye-ro seeing as he's american, while Gyro refers to himself as Jee-ro somehow. I don't recall ASB having anyone but Johnny call Gyro by his name.

Erigu

To me that makes more sense because that's how I see it being pronounced it given Gyro's Italian background
Well, almost Italian. He's from the fictional kingdom of Neapolis.
(and it's not like that's his real name anyway, so his actual nationality doesn't really matter)

I guess both ways can be right. I can see Johnny using Jye-ro seeing as he's american, while Gyro refers to himself as Jee-ro somehow.
That's not how it actually goes though.

lol. I'm Brazil-GAF too but always read his name as "Jairo" because it's written with an "Y". I'm not joking.

I also had to google for Vaca Jairo. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Killer Queen keeping the name is nice to see, though I wonder if the same applies for Sheer Heart Attack & Bites the Dust.

Hopefully, the US release date will be close to the EU one. Also, this appears to be the EU box art, according to Namco's site:

jojo-s-asb-front-of-pack-ps3-pegi-2d-resized-jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I seriously hope the DLC is handled well. Kind of hoping for a bundle that's discounted with the 7 other characters. Though maybe that's just the EU since the series is a bit more popular there/they actually got more than just Part 3.

I have an idea for series 9. What if Kars, the most powerful Ripple use to ever live comes back and his ultimate attack is called Interstellar Overdrive?

The protagonist is Johan Cujoh-Stroheim, his Stand is Starman
and his best bro is an American astronaut Major Thomas Ashes, his Stand is Space Oddity

Make it fucking happen Araki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom