• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker 2 is bombing at the Box Office

Kacho

Gold Member
Critical drinker has nothing interesting to say about anything. Hes either regurgitating banal right leaning soundbytes from far more intelligent people than him, or outright lying to his audience to rile them up, or both

Hes makes similar content to what Joker 2 appears to be actually
The same could be said of you honestly, only you regurgitate left leaning talking points. Your takes are as boring and predictable as Critical Drinker. He was at least smart enough to monetize his schtick.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just came from watching this.

First time at a movie theater where people left sometimes in groups.

Every time a new musical number started at one point people would just laugh.

I left without knowing exactly who they made this movie for and how i wasted my sunday eveneing on something this bad. They didn't even have a story for such a long film. It dragged and dragged and barely nothing happened.

Warner Bros didn't need such a flop right now but they also deserve it anyway.
As an estimate how many music bits are there, and how many minutes is it? Wiki says the movie is long at 138 minutes.

Toons

The same could be said of you honestly, only you regurgitate left leaning talking points. Your takes are as boring and predictable as Critical Drinker. He was at least smart enough to monetize his schtick.

Laughable. Theres Plenty of right leaning critics or critics of little to no lean, who make legitimate criticism. Who don't manipulate the material they are reviewing, or switch their vidoe titles when their opinion is no longer the popular one. CD just isn't one of them.

Monetizing outrage and lies is not something to be proud of for most decent people. It surprises me little to see that it impresses you though.

Toons

Yeah, can’t remember if it was The Boys Season 4, or another show, but apparently he got exposed for lying about even watching the season he was reviewing.
Oh no, he wasn't lying there, he outright admitted he didn't watch the thing he was reviewing in the "review" lmfao. He's telling his audience he is just regurgitating opinions he got elsewhere right to their faces, and they still gobble it up.

No, hes lied plenty of other times like when he claimed that Peter Parker in spider verse was "the lone white male in the movie who brings his infant daughter into a dangerous situation". This is a lie because, Peter Parker is fsr from the only white male lead in the film, and Peter Parker took his super-powered daughter with him into the hub of spider people, which isn't a dangerous situation. Theres many many more where that came from of course; we could talk about how he changes the titles of his videos when the ridiculous predictions turn out to be nonsense, etc etc.

He even in a review will admit certain politics have nothing to do with the film…..and then proceed to bring up those same politics later on while reviewing the exact same movie (and also either get details of the story and characters objectively wrong, like he flat out forgets one character’s existence that contradicts one of his points, or lie about those details just to claim it’s political in any way). It’s very clear his primary goal is less about reviewing movies and shows but rather pushing a political narrative. If that’s what his audience wants, whatever, but he should be upfront about it rather than using these dishonest tactics to manipulate his audience. It’s highly likely he knows if he’s more upfront about it, he will lose at least some viewers, so he’ll continue doing so, though thankfully some Youtubers are recently calling him out on all this with video proof of his inconsistencies and dishonesty so he may have to change his tune soon regardless if he wants to or not.

Yea its not even a question what he does and why he does it. Thats why those arguing me will simply attack my character, instead of addressing the claims made about HIM. When you cannot actually defend what someone is doing its easier to discredit the critic. We see this, funny enough, in big entertainment media sometimes.

Kacho

Gold Member
Laughable. Theres Plenty of right leaning critics or critics of little to no lean, who make legitimate criticism. Who don't manipulate the material they are reviewing, or switch their vidoe titles when their opinion is no longer the popular one. CD just isn't one of them.

Monetizing outrage and lies is not something to be proud of for most decent people. It surprises me little to see that it impresses you though.
This is an incredibly weak rebuttal, especially from you. I expected something with a little more meat on the bone.

Nothing about Critical Drinker impresses me. I made that abundantly clear in my previous comment where I expressed my distain for him as much as I did you. The reason I called out your post was the lack of self-awareness on your part. You guys are two sides of the same coin. I don't think you realize that.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Todd Philips: "Ok, I want to make the worst movie possible, we'll call Milady Caca and turn into a musical, we'll brutalize the protagonist and make it an huge financial bomb so we'll finally stick it to those stinky Internet nerds that dared connecting with the first movie"

WB: "Yessir!"
This is brilliant! Now I want to watch it to stick to those nerds that identify with the joker.

Last edited:

Doom85

No, hes lied plenty of other times like when he claimed that Peter Parker in spider verse was "the lone white male in the movie who brings his infant daughter into a dangerous situation". This is a lie because, Peter Parker is fsr from the only white male lead in the film, and Peter Parker took his super-powered daughter with him into the hub of spider people, which isn't a dangerous situation. Theres many many more where that came from of course; we could talk about how he changes the titles of his videos when the ridiculous predictions turn out to be nonsense, etc etc.

Oh, his takes on that version of Peter Parker are hilarious. Any actual fans of the main Spider-man comics knows that Peter has just gone nowhere in the last two decades after the One More Day story arc killed his and MJ’s marriage. This is due to the movie rights issues and Marvel Comics not wanting to promote comics that won’t “advertise” those specific movies (which I really don’t think is how that works, but good luck convincing them), same thing happened with X-men and Fantastic Four comics for a while until the movie rights were solved and then suddenly X-men and FF got good comics again. The alternate Peter Parkers (the original Ultimate Peter and the new Ultimate Peter) and Miles, Spider-Gwen, etc. thankfully are exempt from this.

So when Spider-verse showed us a Peter who did temporarily lose his marriage BUT got it back and also the reason for the initial split was a believable reason (Peter was scared of having a child) and not some dumbass bargain made with Mephisto, and gets to have a daughter Mayday (who I believe her comics were removed from continuity post-One More Day but I could be mistaken) and actually grow as a character and husband/father, comic fans were thrilled to finally get a Peter like this (same thing with the new Ultimate Peter in the new Ultimate comics, a world where supervillains secretly rule it and prevented all the heroes from getting powers when they should have, so Peter doesn’t get his powers until he’s in his 30’s and has been married to MJ for a while with two kids. It’s great stuff!).

But Drinker is making all these dumbass nitpicks.

1) why is he in his bathrobe? He wasn’t expecting to be on mission, he was just hanging out. Miles wasn’t even supposed to leave his universe, so Peter couldn’t have foreseen that
2) why is the only white male character portrayed as a loser? First of all, I guess Drinker forgot Captain Stacy exists, who does own up to his mistake on his own and makes up with Gwen, and secondly, how is Peter a loser? What, for talking about his daughter a lot? Has Drinker ever met a single brand new parent, like ever? If anything, Peter stopping Miles for several minutes to show him baby photos would have been even more realistic! And what, that he’s kinda dorky? Man, it’s almost like he’s Peter Parker or something! And shocker, a guy in his 30’s might come off a little cringe when talking to younger people. Rio, Miles’ mom, has a cringe moment where she fucks up an attempt to use modern slang with Miles, but Drinker conveniently omits or forgets that detail.

Toons

This is an incredibly weak rebuttal, especially from you. I expected something with a little more meat on the bone.

This topic is about joker and id rather not derail it discussing CD and all of the reasons he sucks. But even beyond that, there's nothing to rebut, because you didn't even address anything i said. You simply are trying to insinuate i do the same thing as him, which I don't, for reasons I already detailed.

Nothing about Critical Drinker impresses me. I made that abundantly clear in my previous comment where I expressed my distain for him as much as I did you. The reason I called out your post was the lack of self-awareness on your part. You guys are two sides of the same coin. I don't think you realize that.

Then you misread my post. Having opinions was never my problem with CD, although I certainly do not agree with his views; he's just a lazy content creator, he tries to make issues where there aren't any other rules his viewer base; and most of all because he's dishonest and has no integrity to anything he says and will flip on it on a dime if it's convenient for him(see how he spoke on Gina Carano pre and post firing.. its night and day, and hilarious)

You can go after me for many things, but when I make my relatively unpopular takes here, which happens plenty, I stand by them.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Critical drinker has nothing interesting to say about anything. Hes either regurgitating banal right leaning soundbytes from far more intelligent people than him, or outright lying to his audience to rile them up, or both

Hes makes similar content to what Joker 2 appears to be actually
Thought it might be something irrational and inappropriate. The slurring drunk gimmick gets old quick, but gave a chance for explanation from those that watch it.

Yet, those that watch the show haven't even been able to say what the video is about.
The only thing they've done is feebly defend the show by lashing out rather then letting his observations do the talking.

Their media literacy is already questionable and the avoidance seems like inability to understand even the simple yt in their own words.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good

giphy.webp

Trilobit

Just came from watching this.

First time at a movie theater where people left sometimes in groups.

Every time a new musical number started at one point people would just laugh.

I left without knowing exactly who they made this movie for and how i wasted my sunday eveneing on something this bad. They didn't even have a story for such a long film. It dragged and dragged and barely nothing happened.

Warner Bros didn't need such a flop right now but they also deserve it anyway.

Watch it a second time. You are much more aware of all the small details that compose the story. It gets incredible. Trust me.

uUO0FMZ.jpeg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well you know old saying. History repeats itself. Todd Phillips should know what Cop Rock is. For those who don’t know it was a police show which was half musical. Bombed hard.

Maybe if it’s a kids movie a lot of music bits is fine. But leave music bits for broadway or low key musical movies with modest budgets.

Even west side story by Steven Spielberg was a disaster. And it had nothing to do with COVID since there were tons of big hits that year.

In general, people don’t want to see musical movies. It’s cheesy. If they want to see it, they pay more money and watch a live show at a downtown theatre paying $100/ticket. No different than going to concert. Unless it’s Taylor swift nobody is going to pay $12 to watch a concert in a theatre. They’ll pay big money and be with 10,000s of other people at a stadium.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Good. It was a sequel that didn’t need to happen, and Todd deserves the honor of the lowest Cinemascore comic book movie after the shit he pulled with this film.
this is really it. There is no way a sequel could bring the same feeling as the first. I know this and do not even want to watch the sequel.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Plot twist: the first movie was overrated as fuck.
Arthouse movies did having a mental disease way better years ago.

It was hollywood cookiecutter shit and it abused the then daily news shit clever.

It was never good.

Last edited:

DRAKKO

Neo Member
now if only you could explain why without trowhing a temper tamtrum, that would be nice.

Last edited:
I didn't see it yet, haven't even seen the first one. Not sure why but none of these two joker movies ever interest me enough. I did see the Dark Knight and the 80s version of the Joker and liked both of them a lot. But just curious what was bad about Joker 2 besides being a musical?

Ulysses 31

I didn't see it yet, haven't even seen the first one. Not sure why but none of these two joker movies ever interest me enough. I did see the Dark Knight and the 80s version of the Joker and liked both of them a lot. But just curious what was bad about Joker 2 besides being a musical?
It practically undoes what's done in the first movie and answers things that were ambiguous since the Joker is mentally ill and is an unreliable narrator.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I love how fast word of mouth and backlash spreads lately. The movie and game industries deserve it so much.
I think this is a double edged sword, as it doesn’t just happen for movies that are actually shit.

People are hearing box office numbers more and more and don’t want to see anything that isn’t popular. On the flip side mediocre movies that have a big opening seem to attract people like sheep.

This happens before movies are even out as the expected BO of any given movie that might bomb or do really well is spread heavily before the movies are even out.

I do agree actual WOM is also spreading faster but a lot of the general public just seems to go by what is selling well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom