• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker 2 is bombing at the Box Office

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
BBC have had their say on this mega flop. I found this paragraph really interesting regarding the supposed 200ml budget:

Folie à Deux doesn't have big action set pieces. It doesn't have jaw-dropping effects. It's true that Phoenix and Gaga don't work for free, but neither of them is a film-industry megastar. And it's true that there are song and dance numbers, but these pay tribute to old musicals and TV specials, so they're not especially lavish. A detailed breakdown of where all the money went would be much more gripping to read than the film's

I agree. An audit on the budget would make a fascinating read.

RavageX

First movies wasnt anything special to me (as a comic/superhero fan). A realistic Joker. Ok. Fine. We kinda had that in Ledger only this is an origin story.

No desire to see a musical, so its already a step down as a sequel. The fact that I didnt enjoy the first movie means there is no need for me to watch this.

I can tell it would suck (for me). Most superhero movies do now since the genre got so popular. Gotta cater to as many ppl as possible, just like games now(which also tend to suck to me).

Side note. It seems like a few of you are arguing about a youtube movie reviewer? Think about that for a few minutes. Maybe stop for a moment, have a laugh and let it go. Not only is this movie not worth any sort of argument, but neither is a YouTube reviewer.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Having not even watched all of the first Joker I was avoiding this topic but it's done worse than the Marvels and Morbius? Holy shit, that's got to hurt WB financially.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who wants to see a comic book character in a musical? Lol. I guess Todd Phillips thought getting lady gaga would be a giant boost to ticket sales. This isn’t A Star is Born. It’s Joker 2. And not even a goofy Joker like in the past. But a seriously whacked out guy who can kill in cold blood. Ya, that’s sure musical material.

Not the kind of media to make a musical.

It’d be like Terminator 7 being half musical too. One scene, john Connor is getting chased by a terminator. Next scene, they sing a duet.

That’s not innovative or mad genius skills. That’s being a moron.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member

Incredible. I'd love to hear how the CFO explains this $200 million flop to investors. "Well sirs, our director hated the fans of the first movie so he really wanted to stick it to them by making a movie for no one."

I didn't even like the first film, it was a forgettable one and done kind of thing. IMO they could have done something better with the sequel. Oh well. Have fun with that, WB.

kindaGoth

Neo Member
I enjoyed the first. I went into this one skeptical but optimistic. The viewing experience was a slog.

But I haven’t stopped thinking about the film these last few days and have a desire to see it again eventually.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
BBC have had their say on this mega flop. I found this paragraph really interesting regarding the supposed 200ml budget:

Folie à Deux doesn't have big action set pieces. It doesn't have jaw-dropping effects. It's true that Phoenix and Gaga don't work for free, but neither of them is a film-industry megastar. And it's true that there are song and dance numbers, but these pay tribute to old musicals and TV specials, so they're not especially lavish. A detailed breakdown of where all the money went would be much more gripping to read than the film's

I agree. An audit on the budget would make a fascinating read.

That massively inflated budget went to pay the star/director to come back to film this abomination

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Incredible. I'd love to hear how the CFO explains this $200 million flop to investors. "Well sirs, our director hated the fans of the first movie so he really wanted to stick it to them by making a movie for no one."

I didn't even like the first film, it was a forgettable one and done kind of thing. IMO they could have done something better with the sequel. Oh well. Have fun with that, WB.
Right off the bat, supposedly Phillips, phoenix and lady gaga total $50M. As for the other $150M who knows. I’m going to assume that doesn’t even include marketing (unless I’m wrong). If marketing is not in that number it’s anyone’s guess where another $150 in direct production costs went.

Warspite

Neo Member
Making less than Morbius is bad, Joker 2 is a sequel to a well respected billion dollar film, its trailer seem to get a good reaction as well. Could it really be all the bad word of mouth that caused this?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Making less than Morbius is bad, Joker 2 is a sequel to a well respected billion dollar film, its trailer seem to get a good reaction as well. Could it really be all the bad word of mouth that caused this?
This is some of the worst WOM I've ever heard.

And people were already weary if not outright turned off by the movie because it became pretty widely spread it's a musical, which is certainly not what the trailer depicted, negating a whole lot of good will the trailer or original film had for weeks/months before it was even out. You throw in the widely spread "people are walking out" WOM and you then lose your "I was going to wait and see but would have gone this weekend" crowd and the movie is a disaster.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems like a paycheck movie to me; nobody involved seems invested enough to even defend it.

Thankfully its another nail in the coffin of this interminable comic-book fad. I'm so fucking over it now.

They can recoup their losses by releasing it in India and marketing it to guys who like musicals

They'd lap that shit up good

giphy-2.gif

Last edited:

Coconutt

It being a musical and that lady gaga would feature in it killed all excitement for me so I was never going to watch but interesting to see this movie seems to be hated across the board. Maybe I'll catch it on Max in a couple of months.

Angry Season 5 GIF by grown-ish

SJRB

Gold Member
I just wish I was at the pitch meeting where the guy who just made you a billion dollars walks up to you and says “the sequel is gonna be a musical”, lmao.

What do you even do at that point?

Top Bottom