• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Thanos is every bit as smart (or likely smarter) then Reed, he's had all the time in the world to study the incursions. If anyone actually believes that...

1. Thanos joined the Cabal cause he likes killing stuff.
2. He wasn't aware that it was a mapmaker world incoming.
3. Didn't realize it was a trap

... then they clearly don't know much about Thanos.

Hmm. No real interest in Marvel if
Namor stays dead.
Will give them a chance to fix things, but if this is going to be played legit or moral, then bleh.BP's speech there just oozed hypocrisy. Hopefully the writers will act on it. On the bright side, he gets to look bitchmade from here on.

It was simple vengeance.

Thanos is every bit as smart (or likely smarter) then Reed, he's had all the time in the world to study the incursions. If anyone actually believes that...

yup this whole "Thanos is just a bloodthirsty monster" angle has stunk to high heaven since its been introduced.

Loke13

My reading order is pretty similar although post-Infinity I would personally recommend

New Avengers 13-17
Avengers 24-29
New Avengers 18-23
Avengers 30-36
New Avengers 24-26
Avengers 37-38
New Avengers 27
Avengers 39
New Avengers 28
Avengers 40

Jeysus the Omnibus for these two books are going to be huge.

IHaveIce

Banned
So any theories as to who (or what) Rabum Alal is?
The Beyonder? The Void? Destroyer Darkmass?

in Hickman's FF run there was something with a Galctus of a different universe and I don't remember the specifics but I think this is one of the theories.

Combined with the Theory that Black Swan is Valeria

Jeysus the Omnibus for these two books are going to be huge.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves: so far, they've solicited oversized hardcovers for Avengers and New Avengers that don't intersect and overlap with the Infinity omnibus. They've already fucked up collecting this run.
I hope they eventually release a single omni that covers, and orders, everything pre-Infinity but I'm not holding my breath.
Still, there's hope they won't be as dumb for the post Infinity stuff.

Mudcrab

Right. Thanos is along for the ride to study the Incursions (though he does enjoy himself while dealing with them). From these two pages we know it's more about killing as Thanos has made some important discoveries and now so has Maximus.

Mfeu9tX.jpg

aV9BAs0.jpg

Thanos will be back and it's all part of the plan.

Mudcrab

Thinking about it, this is an awesome line from Cap:

Not only does it play off the whole old man/'my memory's not what it used to be' trope but it's also a line showing what Steve is still really pissed about.

Thinking about it, this is an awesome line from Cap:

Not only does it play off the whole old man/'my memory's not what it used to be' trope but it's also a line showing what Steve is still really pissed about.
Definitely.

Cap still annoys me but his interactions with everyone else were very well written: he is mostly right but he's also very petty about it. He totally ethers Reed though.

Fintan

Any speculation about the Beyonder's involvement? And judging by issue 29, Pym's involvement? I'm going to have start a re-read of the whole thing soon. It's hard to remember everything!

Sinatar

Any speculation about the Beyonder's involvement? And judging by issue 29, Pym's involvement? I'm going to have start a re-read of the whole thing soon. It's hard to remember everything!

It'll be interesting if they'll address the fact that the last time we saw the Beyonder she was lobotomized by Thanos.

Fintan

It'll be interesting if they'll address the fact that the last time we saw the Beyonder she was lobotomized by Thanos.

I think they'll have to acknowledge that. I also wonder if they're going to keep Bendis's Inhuman/Mutant retcon. And also what power level they will have him at because I know that varies.

I have a feeling Doom will be involved in some way, given the whole Molecule Man thing. Maybe that's where Pym has been?

Darg

Neo Member

I think that was more of a mortal prison for the beyonder (human mortal and not to mention frail form) for what happened there with thanos (that was a lame retcon either way).

However isn't beyonder's latest appearance is when he is yet again retconned to be a inhuman in the illuminati comics? Apparently he is now just a mutant inhuman which is like the 3/4/5th or more retcon's the guy had. Makes me wonder what retcon they will revert back now (doubt it would be his original secret wars 1/2 state since that would be overkill..but you never know right?), unless they decided to keep him in his latest retcon/power set. Suppose time will tell.

Sinatar

Well if I was going to try and recruit someone to help stop the incursions, a secret wars power level Beyonder would be a good place to start.

I'm still vexxed by the fact that the cosmic entities haven't weighed in on this at all.

Fintan

Well if I was going to try and recruit someone to help stop the incursions, a secret wars power level Beyonder would be a good place to start.

I'm still vexxed by the fact that the cosmic entities haven't weighed in on this at all.

The Living Tribunal is dead, right? Not sure what the others are up to!

Fintan

Probably way late to this, but I just realised that this is sorta kinda like what happened in JLA/Avengers. Maybe Krona is the villain? Where's that Cosmic Egg these days? :p

Edit: And what sort of power level is required to take down an M-Body? Who are the suspects there?

Sinatar

Probably way late to this, but I just realised that this is sorta kinda like what happened in JLA/Avengers. Maybe Krona is the villain? Where's that Cosmic Egg these days? :p

Edit: And what sort of power level is required to take down an M-Body? Who are the suspects there?

Well the only time the Tribunal has ever been taken down or even remotely threatened was when Thanos got the Heart of the Universe and destroyed everything.

Presumably Rabum Alal (whoever that ends up being) took down LT. I mean LT is the arbiter of the entire multiverse so he'd have to be removed for this whole Incursion thing to even start.

whipihguh

Banned
I saw the hype about Avengers #40 the other day, so I decided to pick it up and the few earlier issues of Avengers and New Avengers. And you fellas weren't kiddin', that issue was good. So now I guess I'm in this 'till the end, since it finally convinced me to subscribe to both comics. That being said, I guess I'll jump into this conversation.

Now, pardon my ignorance, since I've only started to get into comics really recently, and I don't know much about the Beyonder, his power level, or the original Secret Wars. But is it possible that the Beyonder from the cover isn't the mainline universe Beyonder? I mean, the event that sparked the incursions started in some remote alternate universe, correct? So perhaps an alt-reality Beyonder was the one who started this whole thing. Maybe finding Earths which captured his attention and bringing them to Battleworld.

I have a feeling Doom will be involved in some way, given the whole Molecule Man thing. Maybe that's where Pym has been?

Pym working with Doom? Damn. That is a bit overpowered isn't it?

Pym still burned about Reed saying he knew more about Pym Particles than him, so he helps Doom to humble Reed. I can dig it.

Darg

Neo Member
So is Molecule Man as strong as the Beyonder?

I guess this would depend which version of the beyonder. The original secret wars version was molecule man's best showing power level wise. He made a multiversal bubble to shield against attacks..though it failed horribly against the beyonder he easily popped it. That beyonder was insane power level wise, the living tribunal had to ask molecule man for help against beyonder because LT himself was too scared of the beyonder as in couldn't do anything against him.

This is was the time when beyonder was millions and millions of time's more powerful than the entire marvel multiverse. His beyond realm was the ocean and marvel was the drop of water compared to it.

To answer your question no he never was nowhere close to him in power (though he was equal to him when he was retconned into oblivion down the line, i believe it was the first or second retcon they did to the beyonder).

So Sw= him being multiversal and while he was that powerful it was still nowhere near the power beyonder had.

Don't know how powerful he is now though.

Sorry about the history lesson heh.

Fintan

Pym working with Doom? Damn. That is a bit overpowered isn't it?

Pym still burned about Reed saying he knew more about Pym Particles than him, so he helps Doom to humble Reed. I can dig it.
For some reason I just see Doom being the crucial factor in the conclusion. While everyone is fucking about, he'll find a "solution".

Also I'm interested to see what role, if any, Peter has in this. Obviously he was SpOck for most of this story, but now he's been brought back into it. I feel like being arguably the central Marvel character, he should have some involvement.

Mudcrab

For some reason I just see Doom being the crucial factor in the conclusion. While everyone is fucking about, he'll find a "solution".

Also I'm interested to see what role, if any, Peter has in this. Obviously he was SpOck for most of this story, but now he's been brought back into it. I feel like being arguably the central Marvel character, he should have some involvement.

If it's like Hickman's last story featuring Doom, he'll be absolutely essential to solving the problem but he'll go too far and it'll blow up in his face (and it will still be an incredible Doom moment). As for Peter, I expect he'll only be really important once Secret Wars begins along with Miles.

Spoit

What if...Spider-verse is central to fixing the incursions?!

Fintan

I have a feeling it's going to fold into it somehow, I mean it's the introduction of Earth-001 if my memory serves. Which feels like a significant number.

The Spider-UK part showed the Captain Britain Corps talking about the Incursions, but they're all dead 8 months later.

And the
Renew Your Vows Spider-Man
made an appearance in Spider-Verse #2.

So they're definitely making reference to Secret Wars/Incursions.

It's a bit weird that Earth-001 was used for just The Inheritors home world. But I guess the numbers are kind of arbitrary, right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Spider-UK part showed the Captain Britain Corps talking about the Incursions, but they're all dead 8 months later.

And the
Renew Your Vows Spider-Man
made an appearance in Spider-Verse #2.

So they're definitely making reference to Secret Wars/Incursions.

It's a bit weird that Earth-001 was used for just The Inheritors home world. But I guess the numbers are kind of arbitrary, right?

There was an interview with Marvel's editorial department where they were talking about Spider-Verse and had said they had purposely stayed away from Earth-001 until now for a reason, or something along those general lines. So it might have some role, if not in Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers plans but maybe in Marvel's greater plans.

kswiston

Marvel reminding us nothing lasts forever.

IZgGxfq.jpg

Team will be Thor, Cap America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision.

Gotta keep things simple for those 5 movies fans that will start reading comics after Avengers AoU makes $1.5B

Just finished catching up on the last two issues of each book. Yeah, shit just got more real.

Where the hell did Doom go off to? And man, is Thanos going to be pissed when he comes back, because you know he was either not at the site of that last bomb, or he just no sold it and went somewhere else.

Mudcrab

Just finished catching up on the last two issues of each book. Yeah, shit just got more real.

Where the hell did Doom go off to? And man, is Thanos going to be pissed when he comes back, because you know he was either not at the site of that last bomb, or he just no sold it and went somewhere else.

Agreed too much foreshadowing with 'Thanos's discovery' and the 'little lexicon of hope.' I'm willing to bet the Cabal made it out but left Namor behind.

Marvel Comics announcement soon today.

Yeah hopefully it'll better than the last one.

Top Bottom