• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

A group of evil Avengers came to 616 from a world destroyed by an Incursion. One of them, Thorr, left behind a Mjolnir that could only be wielded if the owner be unworthy and since 616 Thor is now unworthy as of Original Sin he gets to use said hammer and all the powers that come with it.

So Thor losing his Hammer has just become this year's biggest itsfuckingnothing.gif moment.

That's amazing in a terrible I'm not surprised Marvel would do that kind of way.

Mudcrab

So Thor losing his Hammer has just become this year's biggest itsfuckingnothing.gif moment.

That's amazing in a terrible I'm not surprised Marvel would do that kind of way.

Not necessarily. There seems to be a difference in attitude between the Thor we're used to and now. I don't know if it's due to his time as Odinson or if he's now closer to Thorr than Thor when he uses the other hammer.

Are you reading Avengers alongside New Avengers? If not Infinity is going to get a little confusing.

Here's the reading order:
OMvXvhU.jpg

Wanted to start checking this out but wanted to check if this is the latest reading order?

Figured there would have been some issues released since this was posted but wanted to check what i need to get and in what order to read it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wanted to start checking this out but wanted to check if this is the latest reading order?

Figured there would have been some issues released since this was posted but wanted to check what i need to get and in what order to read it.

There's no reading order for anything past that other than order of publication.

kswiston

There's no reading order for anything past that other than order of publication.

Someone should make a reading order for Time Runs Out, because the events jump between the books, and alternating double shipping makes it difficult to go by chronology if you are trying to catch up.

Mxrz

So Namor's back on the team? Uh well. okay. Seems like all the cool stuff is happening off panel. Sue, or whoever recruiting Namor back would've been interesting to read after his grimdark turn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So Namor's back on the team? Uh well. okay. Seems like all the cool stuff is happening off panel. Sue, or whoever recruiting Namor back would've been interesting to read after his grimdark turn.

He's been looking for a way to get the Cabal back in the bottle, I wouldn't be shocked if he went crawling back to Reed and the others like he tried to with Doom.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
would someone following all this goodness mind giving me a breakdown on how Hulk stands in this run? Is banner completely outted and hulk is just walking around green and hilarious with his full normal brain under control? Is he not exactly smart but still hilariously clever while hulked out like in Ultimates or something? That "Feel better?" line is gold so i'm assuming he's having conversations and shit ...

Also - Strange/Hulk/BB all on tear? That's how you build a fuckin steamroller...

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
off topic I just read the JLA/Avengers crossover and loved it.

Spoit

would someone following all this goodness mind giving me a breakdown on how Hulk stands in this run? Is banner completely outted and hulk is just walking around green and hilarious with his full normal brain under control? Is he not exactly smart but still hilariously clever while hulked out like in Ultimates or something? That "Feel better?" line is gold so i'm assuming he's having conversations and shit ...

Also - Strange/Hulk/BB all on tear? That's how you build a fuckin steamroller...

Hulk is doc green now, in his solo series, and just as smart as the rest of the illuminati.

kswiston

Why of all threads did this one get moved to the community board? The thread is about an ongoing, current comic event and we have more or less staid on topic :/

I hope Secret Wars is one of those rare, well planned events like Infinity Crisis was. I thought Infinity was solid, but that was basically just extra issues of Hickman Avengers a smattering of non-essential tie-ins. This is going to be a Civil War style mega-event.

If he didn't, or at least plan for the possibility, then he's an idiot.

I think Reed made it clear in the issue that Sue was the person Steve would expect to be the Ace in the Sleeve. Namor and Black Bolt were the surprises. Is it even common knowledge that Blackbolt is alive yet?

Nether!

I just read through all of hickman's avengers/new avengers and infinity.

I don't dislike it and I'm going to keep reading but I preferred his fantastic four run so far, I feel like it was a lot more self contained. I feel like I'm still missing some of the story in avengers. Should I be reading avengers world and all of the other avenger/solo titles?
I guess I know the main beats of the main marvel universe but without reading the solos it's still strange when characters all of a sudden change completely off panel without explanation. So I'm not sure how much of it is just stuff happening in their own book and how much of it is just stuff Hickman hasn't revealed yet but is part of his book.

One thing I noticed/liked was how far marvel is letting Hickman push the characters. At times it felt like I was reading ultimates, or even some vertigo/image/independent series from the last 10 years.

Mudcrab

I don't dislike it and I'm going to keep reading but I preferred his fantastic four run so far, I feel like it was a lot more self contained. I feel like I'm still missing some of the story in avengers. Should I be reading avengers world and all of the other avenger/solo titles?
I guess I know the main beats of the main marvel universe but without reading the solos it's still strange when characters all of a sudden change completely off panel without explanation. So I'm not sure how much of it is just stuff happening in their own book and how much of it is just stuff Hickman hasn't revealed yet but is part of his book.

One thing I noticed/liked was how far marvel is letting Hickman push the characters. At times it felt like I was reading ultimates, or even some vertigo/image/independent series from the last 10 years.

No this story is contained in New Avengers, Avengers and Infinity. I believe Avengers World is loosely connected but I'm not following it and I'm keeping up just fine.

Loke13

The past issues aren't all that essential but if you want to know what happened in the 8 month time skip that side of the story will be covered by the most recent issues of Avenger's World.

Was reading this on MU and then the latest trades, but I couldn't take it anymore and just bought and read the remaining issues so I'm all caught up. Man, this shit is just so freaking good. I can't wait till its all collected. I'm glad these come out 3 times a month because I'm not sure what I would do if I had to keep waiting a month for an issue. (Also the story is pretty complicated, I feel like it'd be hard to keep track of things if it came out once a month) Wooooooo! I'm pumped now though.

PsychBat!

Banned
Was reading this on MU and then the latest trades, but I couldn't take it anymore and just bought and read the remaining issues so I'm all caught up. Man, this shit is just so freaking good. I can't wait till its all collected. I'm glad these come out 3 times a month because I'm not sure what I would do if I had to keep waiting a month for an issue. (Also the story is pretty complicated, I feel like it'd be hard to keep track of things if it came out once a month) Wooooooo! I'm pumped now though.
I think it gets better to understand through a second read. At least for the first few issues of Avengers.

Loke13

I think it gets better to understand through a second read. At least for the first few issues of Avengers.
Yeah the first few issues of Avenger are a bit complicated and takes awhile to see how it all connects to everything. My favorite issues of Avengers had to be the Time Travel shenanigans with Cap.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah the first few issues of Avenger are a bit complicated and takes awhile to see how it all connects to everything. My favorite issues of Avengers had to be the Time Travel shenanigans with Cap.
Ooooo yeah, especially
the Franklin issue and the Immortus/Kang/Iron Lad issues.

The overall story is too convoluted. It seems like forever ago that this was about some idiot named Ex Nihilo and the Starbrand. Now I barely even know what regular Avengers is about. New Avengers, to its credit, has almost stayed consistent.

I wish they would just write Sunspot and the other C-listers out of this series. Every scene with them is a waste of time.

Also, when the fuck did Amadeus Cho join the Illuminati? When did Falcon become Captain America and Steve Rogers become old? And Thor become Thorr, and Hyperion grow a beard? You'll be reading the exact same series, and all of a sudden there are massive changes that happened offscreen.

PsychBat!

Banned
The Captain America being old thing takes place in their own book. As does the thing with Thor being unworthy. Well, THAT Thor stuff is elaborated more on in Original Sin.

The overall story is too convoluted. It seems like forever ago that this was about some idiot named Ex Nihilo and the Starbrand. Now I barely even know what regular Avengers is about. New Avengers, to its credit, has almost stayed consistent.

I wish they would just write Sunspot and the other C-listers out of this series. Every scene with them is a waste of time.

Also, when the fuck did Amadeus Cho join the Illuminati? When did Falcon become Captain America and Steve Rogers become old? And Thor become Thorr, and Hyperion grow a beard? You'll be reading the exact same series, and all of a sudden there are massive changes that happened offscreen.

I agree that a lot of the stuff seemed confusing but damn I'm in for the ride,

Yeah, if I hadn't been following other Marvel comics in general and had just been reading this in isolation that kind of stuff would be REALLY confusing. It works fine if you know whats been going on in other books (I don't even read those books, I just happen to know that Steve lost the effects of the serum and that Thor has been found unworthy). I wonder what that will be like years from now if someone is just reading the run? Would they just get past it by saying "oh well its 8 months later...clearly a whole bunch of crazy shit has happened" or will it just be "wtf what is going on??" since they don't really explain it. Especially the Cap stuff.

Also what was up with Hank Pym being name dropped, and even being shown in the Illuminati Line Up in one or two issues and then never being referenced or mentioned again? I was really looking forward to seeing the Scientist Supreme!

kswiston

Yeah, if I hadn't been following other Marvel comics in general and had just been reading this in isolation that kind of stuff would be REALLY confusing. It works fine if you know whats been going on in other books (I don't even read those books, I just happen to know that Steve lost the effects of the serum and that Thor has been found unworthy). I wonder what that will be like years from now if someone is just reading the run? Would they just get past it by saying "oh well its 8 months later...clearly a whole bunch of crazy shit has happened" or will it just be "wtf what is going on??" since they don't really explain it. Especially the Cap stuff.

Also what was up with Hank Pym being name dropped, and even being shown in the Illuminati Line Up in one or two issues and then never being referenced or mentioned again? I was really looking forward to seeing the Scientist Supreme!

Big 2 comics are like this in general. I'm more of a Marvel guy (as I have been following the universe for close to 20 years, since I was in high school), but I do read DC superhero books if a run has buzz. Going back and reading Morrison's JLA, or any of the Geoff Johns runs, you constantly have random line wide events messing up the flow. One issue I am reading a plotline that the author has been building for a year or so, and then the next issue I am stuck reading an Our World's At War crossover or some shit. I would imagine DC fans have the same issue in reverse when they cross over.

As for Hank Pym, he's on one of the covers for this month's issues I believe. I don't remember if it was New Avengers or Avengers though. EDIT, it's New Avengers 29.

Loke13

It's really not that convoluted as long as you remember that everything is about the Incursions the first arc of Avengers was about the Builders and their creations/machines being broken but even all the craziness in the first arc and Infinity was because their inter dimensional system "Superflow" was being destroyed because of the Incursion. Avengers is a lot easier to read once you realize that Avengers is a compliment book to New Avengers. Many elements introduced in Avengers are being reintroduced during the 8 month time skip.

Why? Sunspots been kicking ass, he managed to buy out AIM take control of it, and use it's resources to send a strike team consisting of Thor and Hyperion to find the source of the Incursions (The Great Destroyer) and kill it. He's been extremely competent and a surprisingly good leader during this 8 month time skip.

It's not that confusing there was an 8-month time skip and certain things happened in those 8 months. There's also Avenger's World which will be covering some of the 8 month gap.

Jonogunn

Hey guys thinking bout jumping in on this. I notice this thread started in 2014 but the issues on the marvel unlimited app started back in 2012. Can someone clarify the confusion for me?

and is this big overarching event a good read?

Mudcrab

Hey guys thinking bout jumping in on this. I notice this thread started in 2014 but the issues on the marvel unlimited app started back in 2012. Can someone clarify the confusion for me?

and is this big overarching event a good read?

The story started in 2012 with Hickman's first issues of New Avengers and Avengers. This thread was put up around the same time the current arc "Time Runs Out" began.

Which overarching event? If you mean Hickman's entire story from 2012 to now I'd say, yes it's a good read.

This should be a decent reading order at this point:

New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26

Jonogunn

The story started in 2012 with Hickman's first issues of New Avengers and Avengers. This thread was put up around the same time the current arc "Time Runs Out" began.

Which overarching event? If you mean Hickman's entire story from 2012 to now I'd say, yes it's a good read.

This should be a decent reading order at this point:

Thanks man that was very helpful! Gonna get on this

IHaveIce

Banned
DAAAMN.

Wonder if the theories who Rabum Alal is are correct and what comes together, really want an Omnibus after this is over and want the pre-tpb

This is probably the best event after Annihilation so far for me.

Edit: The figure in the background looks familiar with the pattern on the shoulders and arms?

Also is it confirmed already that Black Swan is Valeria?

Loke13

DAAAMN.

Wonder if the theories who Rabum Alal is are correct and what comes together, really want an Omnibus after this is over and want the pre-tpb

This is probably the best event after Annihilation so far for me.

Edit: The figure in the background looks familiar with the pattern on the shoulders and arms?

Captain Universe maybe?

Mudcrab

Damnit it Loke you're too fast.

No, but you're not the first to suggest it. There have been some interesting theories.

Also found this interesting:

Nrama: And seeing Reed and Sue in such prominent roles in Marvel’s biggest storyline currently – what would you say to the rumors that Marvel is phasing out the Fantastic Four?

Brevoort: It really doesn’t matter what I say. People are going to believe what they choose to believe, and people are going to make hay out of stirring the pot and fanning the flames – planting and harvesting that click bait. What we do is tell stories with all the Marvel Universe characters, as we have all along. Certain people have gotten nervous to the point of craziness, but the proof is in the books we’re putting out.

I could literally say anything, but it won’t make any difference. People are just afraid, and let fear overwhelm them.

Nrama: I’ll leave it at that for now.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think which what was already said that Hickman seed infos and ground work in work of him from the last years, everyone should read his FF run.
I think many things will come back from the run.

Top Bottom