• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Darg

Neo Member
That was back in secret wars 2. Over 30 years ago in real time and more than a decade in marvel time. It's been a while.

Since then he/it merged with molecule man and evolved into "kosmos" and later into "the maker".

The maker took mortal form for some reason during annihilation, and Thanos lobotomized it because killing it would just mean it would be reborn elsewhere in a more powerful, non mortal form.

The maker got killed anyway when the kiln was attacked to free tenebrous and aegis. We never saw where the "rebirth" of the mature being took place and It hasn't been seen since. unless you count that strange encounter by the illuminati where they tried to imply it was an inhuman, which is clearly being ignored at this point.

Hmm, there's still some thing's that don't make sense yet, i mean i guess the question is.....did they do a partial re-retcon back or a full one? since we know the secret wars beyonder's realm was way more massive than marvel and he was basically that sentient realm, not to mention power wise. One beyonder should have been over million's of time's more powerful (or more) than living tribunal, atleast that powerful when they are within marvel.

Which is why i find it strange there was 3 of them to take down the LT..unless the other 2 were just playing around or something.

At this point i just don't think it's a full re-retcon, atleast in term's of the character himself. I suppose i'll just wait and see.

Dalek

The craziest scene in this issue was Hank seeing that fight occur over multiple universes all at once-like transparencies laid on top of one another. I think that's kind of what Battleworld will be like.

Sadist

I speculated months ago that marvel was going to clean house with the cosmic tier and get rid of it.

But THAT was just excessive.
Ha, true. Marvel going full end of the universe as we know it.

I wonder when after all of this is done how folks will look back on Hickman's run of New Avengers. It will be the end of the Marvel Universe that was established years ago. Can't imagine how the new mainstream world will look like.

J10

Banned
The time travel part was nuts. And I soooo knew Namor was gonna be the first one to pull the trigger. I was not, however, ready for him to put The Cabal back together. That's where I am right now. I opted to skip on AXIS for now because this story is too good to put down, but I'm definitely going back to read Inhumanity when I'm finally caught up.

Just finished New Avengers 30. That was insane. Just plain nuts. Like so crazy that Im taking it to work to show some marvel fans just how crazy it is.

Mudcrab

The time travel part was nuts. And I soooo knew Namor was gonna be the first one to pull the trigger. I was not, however, ready for him to put The Cabal back together. That's where I am right now. I opted to skip on AXIS for now because this story is too good to put down, but I'm definitely going back to read Inhumanity when I'm finally caught up.

Please let us know what you think about New Avengers 24 when you get there.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Please let us know what you think about New Avengers 24 when you get there.

image.php

Hmm, there's still some thing's that don't make sense yet, i mean i guess the question is.....did they do a partial re-retcon back or a full one? since we know the secret wars beyonder's realm was way more massive than marvel and he was basically that sentient realm, not to mention power wise. One beyonder should have been over million's of time's more powerful (or more) than living tribunal, atleast that powerful when they are within marvel.

Which is why i find it strange there was 3 of them to take down the LT..unless the other 2 were just playing around or something.

At this point i just don't think it's a full re-retcon, atleast in term's of the character himself. I suppose i'll just wait and see.

not fully retconned, no. Beyonder not really understanding what he is or what the beyond realm where he came from was looks like it's still true, which was part of the post secret wars retcon.

everything else- beyonder being massively downgraded to only a fraction of a cosmic cube, the greater abstracts and celestials just "testing" him, looks to have been reversed.

assuming of course that Rabum Alal is the new form of the OG beyonder. Lots of things pointing that way though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Namor finally acting like a human being. Doom somehow manages to stay a petty asshole even as the world is in a state of perpetual apocalypse.

Even with the world ending, DOOM will be DOOM. Man created a universe to rule over as a god, was forcefully overthrown by his creations and still refused to admit he got his ass kicked.

J10

Banned
Finally all caught up.

So, when Cap asked Panther if he was gonna turn himself in after they took out the Cabal and he was like, "Absolutely not," I fucking yelled out THUG LIFE!

But right now after seeing
the Beyonders genocide the abstracts and Celestials
I'm just like

2dqvic9.png

Are the Mapmakers going to be the ones responsible for putting together Battleworld this time around? It's gonna be made up of those pieces of dead worlds they were using as weapons during the incursions?

Mudcrab

Namor finally acting like a human being. Doom somehow manages to stay a petty asshole even as the world is in a state of perpetual apocalypse.

Hey now, Doom actually tried to play nice with the Illuminati (as much as Doom can anyway) and all he got was some sass. Insult added to injury when Namor told him he was a second choice to a bunch of animals.

Finally all caught up.

So, when Cap asked Panther if he was gonna turn himself in after they took out the Cabal and he was like, "Absolutely not," I fucking yelled out THUG LIFE!

I thought there was going to be fight right then and there, dude looked murderous through a mask.

As for everything else I can barely process it myself at least we're going to get a rapid fire release schedule for these two books until Secret Wars in May, so hopefully it'll all come together soon.

Sadist

Finally all caught up.

But right now after seeing
the Beyonders genocide the abstracts and Celestials
I'm just like

2dqvic9.png

Are the Mapmakers going to be the ones responsible for putting together Battleworld this time around? It's gonna be made up of those pieces of dead worlds they were using as weapons during the incursions?
image.php

The mapmakers are (mostly) dead. wiped out by Nihilii and Alephs.

mapmakers_zps52omwuix.png

so I'm going to say "no", no they aren't to that one.

Why did Hulk throw Carol into space though? Was that necessary?

Gets her out of the way. She was doing her best to punch him in the face at the time. You would rather he killed her instead?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I like the theory that the Rogue Planet is what holds Battleworld together.

Finally caught up. Can't believe i made the mistake of reading mostly just New Avengers. A lot of terrific sci-fi going on in the Avengers book before the timeskip.

Another thing is Al Ewig's solo Hyperion book. That thing was absolutely godly. Thought the Starbrand one would deal with matters of omniscience and also be great, but it ended up being a squandered opportunity.

Gotta compliment Hickman on finally using Banner properly too, even if it took him more than 20 issues to get around to it. Sadly shortly after that Doc Green was up, and bleaaaagh.

On a different note, what the fuck was Blackagar's beef with Namor? Did he fuck Medusa or something?

assuming of course that Rabum Alal is the new form of the OG beyonder. Lots of things pointing that way though.

Whatever happened to the galactus seed theory?

Heh.
Doom.
"I'm totally outsmarting these guys who have taken down every cosmic entity in every universe across the multiverse. Them or the cosmic dude who's apparently giving them a run for their money.
That frequency I've been following is totally not a trap."

The best part is that for the next 4 weeks, we're getting an issue every week.

He didn't follow the frequency, he
asked MM to explain why he shared a signature with the beacon. MM chose to indulge him.

Loke13

Finally caught up. Can't believe i made the mistake of reading mostly just New Avengers. A lot of terrific sci-fi going on in the Avengers book before the timeskip.

Another thing is Al Ewig's solo Hyperion book. That thing was absolutely godly. Thought the Starbrand one would deal with matters of omniscience and also be great, but it ended up being a squandered opportunity.

Gotta compliment Hickman on finally using Banner properly too, even if it took him more than 20 issues to get around to it. Sadly shortly after that Doc Green was up, and bleaaaagh.

On a different note, what the fuck was Blackagar's beef with Namor? Did he fuck Medusa or something?
He was probably just pissed that Namor allied himself with Thanos who not to long ago beat him to a bloody pulp and made him his bitch.

J10

Banned
BB had also just brought Maximus in on the Illuminati's business before he switched sides with Namor. I think it was Maximus who freed Black Swan and Terrax. That's why he was all, "Tell my brother Maximus I said FAREWELL."

Yeah, i get him being pissed at Maximus, but lending a helping hand to Tchalla? Seems far fetched.
Here's hoping Hickman expands further on it.

And your memory is correct. Maximus poked a hole in the block to see what would happen, and the rest is history.

He was probably just pissed that Namor allied himself with Thanos who not to long ago beat him to a bloody pulp and made him his bitch.

"I hate you for ensuring the continued survival of our universe! Grrr!"

Gods, it reminded me that the stick up Steve's ass probably has far more to do with being conned than with actually blowing shit up.

J10

Banned
Not really. Namor teaming up with Thanos and the Black Order after sending Thanos to Wakanda? He's lucky he didn't have the boots of the whole Avengers roster up his ass for that. He got off light.

Not really. Namor teaming up with Thanos and the Black Order after sending Thanos to Wakanda? He's lucky he didn't have the boots of the whole Avengers roster up his ass for that. He got off light.

Yes, god forbid that he use a ruse to get back at the country that used a ruse to attack his country.

Additionally, do remind me: what would've happened if he didn't team up with Thanos to deal with the incursions?

Seriously, as far as the namor-tchalla feud is concerned, they deserve each other.

Loke13

Yes, god forbid that he use a ruse to get back at the country that used a ruse to attack his country.

Additionally, do remind me: what would've happened if he didn't team up with Thanos to deal with the incursions?

Seriously, as far as the namor-tchalla feud is concerned, they deserve each other.
Jesus no one is saying that BP has the moral high ground here lol they're both pieces of shit Namor is just the piece of shit that managed to piss off 2 kings.

PsychBat!

Banned

Namor is a little wuss.

Now that he doesn't have the Phoenix Force to help him take out Wakanda, he uses a cowardly way to get back at him for Wakanda getting back at him. It's like Namor is never satisfied that he lost like a fucking loser.

Namor is a little wuss.

Now that he doesn't have the Phoenix Force to help him take out Wakanda, he uses a cowardly way to get back at him for Wakanda getting back at him. It's like Namor is never satisfied that he lost like a fucking loser.

BP is a little wuss.

Now that he lost his people, his sister, his country, got called a wuss by every black panther that ever was and got disowned by his father, he uses a cowardly way to get back at Namor for Atlantis getting back at him. It's like BP is never satisfied that he lost like a fucking loser.

Like i said, they deserve each other.

Best marvel feud, really.
Jesus no one is saying that BP has the moral high ground here lol they're both pieces of shit Namor is just the piece of shit that managed to piss off 2 kings.
Three. Victor too.

Loke13

BP is a little wuss.

Now that he lost his people, his sister, his country, got called a wuss by every black panther that ever was and got disowned by his father, he uses a cowardly way to get back at Namor for Atlantis getting back at him. It's like BP is never satisfied that he lost like a fucking loser.

Like i said, they deserve each other.

Best marvel feud, really.

Three. Victor too.
Agreed they're both petty as hell.

That Doom dinner scene is one of the many highlights in this run. I really love when Hickman writes Doom.

"And then you come here dragging the stinking carcass of your failure to my door."

"Doom is no mans second choice."

PsychBat!

Banned
Agreed they're both petty as hell.

That Doom dinner scene is one of the many highlights in this run. I really love when Hickman writes Doom.

"And then you come here dragging the stinking carcass of your failure to my door."

"Doom is no mans second choice."
Doom recognizes a little bitch when he sees one.
Okay. Didn't make any sense.

Doom recognizes a little bitch when he sees one.

Okay. Didn't make any sense.

King of the dead. Wakanda gone. Shuri gone. Ghosts of previous BP's calling him a wuss for not having the balls to blow up a planet. Father calling him a wuss and disowning him for not having the balls to blow up a planet. All that he's got left is trying to kill the man/fish that did what he couldn't while yet again the man/fish does something horrible to save the world.

Couldn't even keep his promise of waiting until the incursions were done.

Btw, victor is the guy that taught storm that tchalla would gladly let her head get perforated in exchange for a pile of metal.

Mafro

Finally all caught up.

That whole scene and the way that moment was set up was fantastic.

Top Bottom