• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Mudcrab

Wasn't New Avengers the last one we got?

Correct. We got NA 31 last week and next week we get NA 32.

detail.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does the story account for the issue being pushed back, or should we read Avengers 43 when it comes out before NA 32?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually enjoyed Illuminati for the most part, but fucking hell I hated that issue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wonder if we'll ever see "our" beyonder again. At least within this story anyway.

I have a feeling we might, if Secret Wars #4's cover is an indication (or did you mean before Secret Wars begins?)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Something about this pic gives me that feeling like we're nearing the end of a journey. Fitting that they use it for the last issues of Hickman's saga.

avn-newavn-cov-col-127980.jpg

Interesting choices for the floating heads in the sky. It's the OG avengers but then Luke Cage? Who's the blonde guy without the helmet, is that Hyperion?

thetrin

Which issue?

The issue where Xavier comes right out and says on like, the third page, that the Beyonder is an inhuman mutant. It ruins the Beyonder as a character, and was frankly incredibly surprising to see come out of Bendis, a writer I otherwise find really talented.

I think it was issue 3 or 4? I can't remember.

Mudcrab

The issue where Xavier comes right out and says on like, the third page, that the Beyonder is an inhuman mutant. It ruins the Beyonder as a character, and was frankly incredibly surprising to see come out of Bendis, a writer I otherwise find really talented.

I think it was issue 3 or 4? I can't remember.

I thought it was ridiculous when I read it, but then I considered the look on the Beyonder's face when the Illuminati moved on at the end of the issue and thought maybe Bendis was trying to suggest the Beyonder scammed them into leaving him alone, then I thought why would he have to go through any of that in the first place?

I don't think the mutant inhuman angle was ever brought up again.

I thought it was ridiculous when I read it, but then I considered the look on the Beyonder's face when the Illuminati moved on at the end of the issue and thought maybe Bendis was trying to suggest the Beyonder scammed them into leaving him alone, then I thought why would he have to go through any of that in the first place?

It was bored and decided to have fun with a few toys... like a child would?

thetrin

and thank god for that! There's no reason for anyone to bring it up. It adds nothing to the character, and actually takes away quite a bit.

I would laugh so hard if Hickman actually brought that up in Time Runs Out/Secret Wars.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Where the hell is Captain Universe?

I'm guessing dead. It would make sense considering everything we've learned about the actions of the Ivory Kings, she may very well have fallen for the trap or just have been winked out of existence due to the death of all those cosmic powers.

Loke13

I'm guessing dead. It would make sense considering everything we've learned about the actions of the Ivory Kings, she may very well have fallen for the trap or just have been winked out of existence due to the death of all those cosmic powers.
It's seems strange to have a important and enigmatic character who was pretty prominent in the first arc of Avengers to just up and die off screen without so much as a mention.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's seems strange to have a important and enigmatic character who was pretty prominent in the first arc of Avengers to just up and die off screen without so much as a mention.

I dunno, I figure she's strong enough that she would have gone with Thor's crew but she didn't. Outside of being dead, I can't even begin to imagine what happened to her.

Nether!

I dunno, I figure she's strong enough that she would have gone with Thor's crew but she didn't. Outside of being dead, I can't even begin to imagine what happened to her.

The enigma force moved on to a new host?
Or is it not doing that anymore?

kazamatsuri

Neo Member

Agreed. Didn't Hickman create this incarnation of Captain Universe? It would be very unlike him to have someone as central as her just sort of fall off the map. I can almost guarantee she'll turn up somewhere.

ZimbAdam

Holy fucking shit, that was an incredible issue. I'm a bit dumb-struck.

Spoilers for New Avengers 32:
They're all dead. Well, Thor and Hyperion got killed kinda off panel, so maybe they'll pop back somehow, but everyone else... And they managed to kill a Beyonder! And they turned another into some crazy tree thing! That's got to be important somehow. God damn, they hype just never stops.

Holy fucking shit, that was an incredible issue. I'm a bit dumb-struck.

Spoilers for New Avengers 32:
They're all dead. Well, Thor and Hyperion got killed kinda off panel, so maybe they'll pop back somehow, but everyone else... And they managed to kill a Beyonder! And they turned another into some crazy tree thing! That's got to be important somehow. God damn, they hype just never stops.

It was
on panel. Just…you know…super tiny.

ghostmind

Maybe
the tree is the key to the rebirth of the multiverse?

Regardless, I think it has some sort of significance in what is to come.

The
Beyonder portal gave me major chills though - flashbacks to the OG Secret Wars.

J10

Banned
LOL What it takes to defeat a Beyonder. I hope Doom's got some kind of trick up his sleeve because they don't have a bunch of gods they can just throw at them.

ZimbAdam

It was
on panel. Just…you know…super tiny.

Yeah, I know, hence kinda. :p

I dunno, I want to believe. I know they won't be able to do shit to the Beyonder horde, but they might be spared somehow... Namor 'died' just a few issues ago under similarly iron-clad circumstances, who's to say Thor and Hyperion won't manage to cheat death too?

Top Bottom