• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Maybe
the tree is the key to the rebirth of the multiverse?

Regardless, I think it has some sort of significance in what is to come.

The
Beyonder portal gave me major chills though - flashbacks to the OG Secret Wars.

Yeah, I know, hence kinda. :p

I dunno, I want to believe. I know they won't be able to do shit to the Beyonder horde, but they might be spared somehow... Namor 'died' just a few issues ago under similarly iron-clad circumstances, who's to say Thor and Hyperion won't manage to cheat death too?
You two had the same thoughts I did about it.

EDIT:
The only way I can see Thor and Hyperion surviving is like how Hickman "killed" Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four. We just assume that they fell in battle, but maybe they prove triumphant. Or the Beyonders are so caught off guard by two beings standing up to them they spare them to "research" them. Much like what happened to Doom in OG Secret Wars. Of course, I don't see Thor or Hyperion having something on them to steal Beyonder power.

Oh, and Deodato's art for the Beyonders is so much better than all the other appearances of them so far in this.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I dunno, I want to believe. I know they won't be able to do shit to the Beyonder horde, but they might be spared somehow... Namor 'died' just a few issues ago under similarly iron-clad circumstances, who's to say Thor and Hyperion won't manage to cheat death too?

He had a much better out. More than a few people called it.

J10

Banned

I think showing the Beyonders taking out the abstracts a couple issues ago means this has to stick. They should be dead.

ZimbAdam

He had a much better out. More than a few people called it.

I think showing the Beyonders taking out the abstracts a couple issues ago means this has to stick. They should be dead.

Oh, for sure, for sure. Totally agree.
It'd be kinda unsatisfying if they survived after all that. There's just part of me that wants them to live, I've loved Hickman's portrayal of them.

J10

Banned
I'm wondering if the tree the Nihili made is like a new Yggdrasil. Maybe a new universe can grow from it.

"That's because we drank it all, Brother."

This issue might be my favorite in the whole run. It got so much just right.

Only one NA issue remains. Damn.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking fantastic issue. Brilliant.

Noooo Thor and Hyperion :( Cool to see Thor being worthy again

The Thor thing was great, but it would have been way more meaningful if we actually knew what made him unworthy in the first place and it was more like a real redemption. Not Hickman's fault, but missed opportunity.

Sadist

The Thor thing was great, but it would have been way more meaningful if we actually knew what made him unworthy in the first place and it was more like a real redemption. Not Hickman's fault, but missed opportunity.
Well maybe we'll get something out of the new she-Thor series from Aaron? He did reference Fury's whisper.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well maybe we'll get something out of the new she-Thor series from Aaron? He did reference Fury's whisper.

They'll probably get around to it, but the timing could have worked out better.

So Thor is the one who is supposed to be unworthy? He was right to laugh in that moment.

It is the hammer that isn't worthy of him. He certainly shouldn't need it to define who he is.

other way around, chief. At that moment he once again became worthy of 616 mjolnir, which automagically made him unable to lift unworthnir.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So Thor is the one who is supposed to be unworthy? He was right to laugh in that moment.

It is the hammer that isn't worthy of him. He certainly shouldn't need it to define who he is.

I think you may have misread that scene.

I think you may have misread that scene.

I'm talking when he was deemed unworthy originally on the moon. Not in this issue.

The guy does plenty of heroic crap all the time and has saved countless billions over and over again. I'd be happy with Thor Odinson being done with the hammer altogether.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking when he was deemed unworthy originally on the moon. Not in this issue.

The guy does plenty of heroic crap all the time and has saved countless billions over and over again. I'd be happy with Thor Odinson being done with the hammer altogether.

Ah. In that case I agree. As I posted earlier the scene would have had more weight if we actually knew of something unspeakable he had done or preferably, actually did, on page in a recent arc. That way it would have been more of a true redemption and the moment would have been more earned.

Ah. In that case I agree. As I posted earlier the scene would have had more weight if we actually knew of something unspeakable he had done or preferably, actually did, on page in a recent arc. That way it would have been more of a true redemption and the moment would have been more earned.

Well, it is still not known what Fury said to him to cause Thor to be unworthy. But the interesting thing that came of it was him struggling with his identity in the wake of the female Thor taking his place.

So for him to let all of that go in that moment was satisfying.

But I hope that isn't the last we see of him for a while. It would suck if, after all that, he isn't allowed to be his own person - free of the hammer and the Thor mantle.

Loke13

So...
Thor is dead, Hyperion is dead, Nightmask&Starbrand is dead, along with Abyss and all the reamining Ex Nihili.
Talk about a blood bath.

So...
Thor is dead, Hyperion is dead, Nightmask&Starbrand is dead, along with Abyss and all the reamining Ex Nihili.
Talk about a blood bath.

Did we expect anything else? Hell, I am more surprised that the team
managed to take out some Beyonders before going down like champs.

J10

Banned
I know there's just one Tribunal for everything, but is there just one set of abstracts for the whole multiverse or does each universe have it's own set?

Dalek

Jesus Christ. New avengers 32 is one for the history books. That's one of the greatest issues of any comic I've ever read.

My mind is blown here. I love Thor and Hyperions bro talk right before they flew into their destiny.

I know there's just one Tribunal for everything, but is there just one set of abstracts for the whole multiverse or does each universe have it's own set?

Well we know there are other Galactuses in the Ultimate universe and the Cancerverse.

Well we know there are other Galactuses in the Ultimate universe and the Cancerverse.

Yerp, that's the logic path i used too. Abstracts are per universe, but only one LT for the whole multiverse. Same goes for OAA.

Another way to look at it is that, as cancerverse taught us, Death could be killed without affecting other realities.

Jesus Christ. New avengers 32 is one for the history books. That's one of the greatest issues of any comic I've ever read.

My mind is blown here. I love Thor and Hyperions bro talk right before they flew into their destiny.

I just wish we could get more adventures of Hyperion and Thor kicking ass across the universe. Someone get Hyperion, Thor, and Hercules together for a night of battles and drinking. It would be awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Galactus seems to think he can survive this like he did the death of his last universe.

16933061955_740b69a3ae_b.jpg

16931768002_8ff3dde274_b.jpg

ghostmind

Some crazy stuff going on over in the "Black Vortex" crossover as well.

SPOILERS AHOY

Hala, the Kree homeworld, has been destroyed - like worse than Xandar destroyed. Spartax is on the verge of becoming a Brood breeding ground. And Beast has realized that that the multiverse is in a terminal stage of collapse.

It seems like everyone is going balls-out, before everything dies.

Spoit

Some crazy stuff going on over in the "Black Vortex" crossover as well.

SPOILERS AHOY

Hala, the Kree homeworld, has been destroyed - like worse than Xandar destroyed. Spartax is on the verge of becoming a Brood breeding ground. And Beast has realized that that the multiverse is in a terminal stage of collapse.

It seems like everyone is going balls-out, before everything dies.

One thing that confuses be between that and the last couple pages of Avengers

Did Ronan become the leader of the Kree again after all that? He was pictured with the allied fleet

Nether!

Killer book today.
I'm definitley going to reread everything when it's all done - this is a story that's best appreciated all together.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think so, at least Death seems to be single universal abstract.which would deem the others to the same status I guess?

J10

Banned
Yeah, Coriolanus already pointed out Death in the Cancerverse died while Death in the 616 was still around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, Coriolanus already pointed out Death in the Cancerverse died while Death in the 616 was still around.

Maybe the different Deaths and abstracts from the different universes are just a part of the ones that govern the multiverse. Like how the Living Tribunal split into a billion pieces when it died.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maybe the different Deaths and abstracts from the different universes are just a part of the ones that govern the multiverse. Like how the Living Tribunal split into a billion pieces when it died.
Probably the way it works. Though there are probably a lot of different Eternities.

Man I wish Cosmic Marvel was still strong nowadays.

Miss stories about all the abstracts, celestials etc.

Probably the way it works. Though there are probably a lot of different Eternities.

Man I wish Cosmic Marvel was still strong nowadays.

Miss stories about all the abstracts, celestials etc.

I miss those stories too. I didn't really even care much for the DnA stuff. Starlin used to be it for me but his recent work isn't that great. I wish Hickman would stay with Marvel and write Silver Surfer or Adam Warlock.

PsychBat!

Banned
Maaaaaaaaaan.... this thread should be moved to OT and it definitely needs more activity now that we're almost through the looking glass.

Top Bottom