• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Lol WUT?! The Ultimate Universe characters behave like real people and in real life not everyone is noble and nice 100% of the time. Judging by the final page of avengers it looks like 616 is finally getting its ass handed to them by the Ultimates.
Because real people fuck their sisters all the time lol.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ultimates #9 came out in April 2012 and Hickman's Avengers started in December 2012 so yeah, they offered him the Avengers titles. I'm guessing Marvel felt that Hickman doing a low-selling book like the Ultimates would be a waste of talent.

Hickman's Ultimates were up against the newly formed New 52. Yeah, Marvel didn't want Hickman on a dying book.

It would have been interesting if Hickman did Ultimates while doing Avengers/New Avengers. We would have probably seen some of the other Ultimate incursions then. But, it also would have ruined the fun a bit when we finally got to see how they were handling the incursions in the Ultimate universe a few issues ago.

Mudcrab

Wasn't that Old Man Logan though?

Mark Millar™

Anyway, Hickman wanted to salvage the Ultimate U. according to him he would have done some real world building and written multiple titles to do that, but obviously it didn't work out. At least he got his hands back on the Maker.

Mudcrab

OML was alright, you'll have to let me know if the Bendis take is any good.

Word of warning: Some people have got their hands on Secret Wars 1 watch out for wild spoilers.

Did Hickman actually get the boot from Ultimates, or did they offer him the actual Avengers titles instead? Doesn't make sense to forcibly take him off a book like the Ultimates when no one with any real selling power took over in his absence.

Hickman's been quoted as saying he wanted to stay on Ultimates for years. The launch of the new 52 destroyed its sales though apparently so they took him off.

Was it ever hinted that Blob was a cannibal before Ultimatum?

From what I saw of him in Ultimate X-Men he was just some goofy bad guy catfishing Beast

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Was it ever hinted that Blob was a cannibal before Ultimatum?

From what I saw of him in Ultimate X-Men he was just some goofy bad guy catfishing Beast

There was absolutely nothing that hinted at it. He was one of the more redeemable bad guys throughout the Ultimate X-Men books.

Sadist

How do vampires and an planet of zombies count as "ultimate characters are cannobals". If you count those then so is 616
I'm just joking man, chill.

Just accept that there are several folks who think the Ultimate Universe are bigger assholes compared to 616. And while I like several aspects of the Ultimate Universe (mostly the Spidey series, Ultimate Fury, Ultimate X-Men) there are parts where I agree. Ultimate Cap is far less likeable than his mainstream counterpart (Old man Steve is a dick right now) for example. Maybe you think it's more realistic, but that doesn't mean others are inclined to agree.

Mudcrab

Yeah I can't wait to see the whole FF interact with Ult Reed. Also really curious about Sinister's role in all of this.

yes that was part of them trying to redeem him,

I am almost certain that hickman was the one that wrote the world hunger ish. Which is why i thought your comment that he went "lolno he still stretchy satan" so odd.

Could be wrong, memory is terribad as of late.

Yeah I can't wait to see the whole FF interact with Ult Reed. Also really curious about Sinister's role in all of this.

Whaddayamean Essex's role?

And valeria already shown as mad distrusting of U. Reed, so good start.

I am almost certain that hickman was the one that wrote the world hunger ish. Which is why i thought your comment that he went "lolno he still stretchy satan" so odd.

Could be wrong, memory is terribad as of late.

Fialkov wrote that arc, Hickman was only on the first 12 issues of Ultimates.

Mudcrab

Whaddayamean Essex's role?

Wordless previews show him interacting with Doctor Strange plus he's prominently featured on one of the covers:

8876c479a3f74d8e4ae2b25efe98b403.jpg

kswiston

This is really old news, but I just saw that Secret Wars #1 orders were over 550k a month ago. Doesn't that make Secret Wars the most ordered event in decades?

Jeez so many comments on Secret Wars catch-up articles around the internet shitting on how "complicated", and "convoluted" and my favorite one "This is why I'm sticking with the MCU." It's just so patently obvious that it's people justifying not spending the time or energy on the books so they don't feel like they're missing out (which they are).

PsychBat!

Banned
Jeez so many comments on Secret Wars catch-up articles around the internet shitting on how "complicated", and "convoluted" and my favorite one "This is why I'm sticking with the MCU." It's just so patently obvious that it's people justifying not spending the time or energy on the books so they don't feel like they're missing out (which they are).
It's gonna be like this when the Secret Wars thread is finished and available to the public.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone explain whats going on with Doom and Molecule Man? I can't wrap my head around it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can someone explain whats going on with Doom and Molecule Man? I can't wrap my head around it

MM is a walking time bomb created by the Beyonders. Doom and MM went back in time and MM explained this to him, so Doom started killing the MM of different universes, setting them off early, and eventually this led to the incursions. Along the way Doom created the persona of Rabum Alal and recruited the Black Swans.

kswiston

It's gonna be like this when the Secret Wars thread is finished and available to the public.

Who cares about them.

The time I was most invested in the DC universe was during Infinite Crisis. It was complicated and convoluted, I often didn't get the full significant of events (not being a long time reader), but it was great because it felt like an event should feel. Not some alternate reality that will cease to be in 6 issues. Not one of those "Nothing will ever be the same!!!! (for 6 weeks)" events. It played to the strengths of DC's history, and set up an interesting status quo for a ton of characters.

Secret Wars has the same sort of feeling from the previews we have seen.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
MM is a walking time bomb created by the Beyonders. Doom and MM went back in time and MM explained this to him, so Doom started killing the MM of different universes, setting them off early, and eventually this led to the incursions. Along the way Doom created the persona of Rabum Alal and recruited the Black Swans.

Thanks.

All caught up on Avengers and NA, now I wait for Secret Wars.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He actually had one (or something similar) long before 616 Reed I think. What with the Zombieverse and all.

Yea but what are the odds he played around with it after the whole Zombieverse thing? He probably locked that thing up until the incursions started.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Uh-oh. Can someone save him? The way they released the TPBs about the Infinity event is awful. I have a hard time trying to explain it myself.

The easiest way to deal with it is just to order the omnibus, it has all the build up chapters and important tie-ins in the right order.

Yea but what are the odds he played around with it after the whole Zombieverse thing? He probably locked that thing up until the incursions started.

Should also factor that Young U. Reed's experiences with dimension travelling were quite traumatic, given all that hoopla with the monster amoeba and all.

BigDes

Uh-oh. Can someone save him? The way they released the TPBs about the Infinity event is awful. I have a hard time trying to explain it myself.

I found the UK trades of the events are best

The Inifinity event stuff is split into two trades but has all the pertinent series contained inside.

The ratio of good to crap inverted during/after Ultimatum.

I think the moment it jumped the shark was Ultimates vol. 3, which was gross. Then came Ultimatum, one of the worst books I've read.

Funnily enough, Bendis always gets shit for his 616 work but his Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently great for over 200 issues now. That's the only part of the Ultimate universe I will miss.

I liked when Hickman tried himself on Ultimates.

The Kang storyline and the stuff with Reed was also interesting.

I'd agree with this.

There was some great stuff that came out of the Ultimate universe, but the whole thing needs to be retired ASAP. And thankfully that seems to be happening.

SArcher

Banned
I found the UK trades of the events are best

The Inifinity event stuff is split into two trades but has all the pertinent series contained inside.

The way they released in the UK is weird as hell though.

So you have

Avengers vol 1 TPB (#1-6)
Avengers vol 2 TPB (#7-11)
Avengers vol 3 TPB (#12-17)
Avengers vol 4 TPB (#18-23 INFINITY issues)

and

New Avengers Vol 1 TPB (#1-6)
New Avengers Vol 2 TPB (#7-12 INFINITY issues)

And then you have the two Infinity paperbacks that collect

Infinity #1-3, Avengers #18-20, New Avengers 9-10
&
Infinity #4-6, Avengers #21-23, New Avengers 11-12.

Notice that the two infinity paperbacks do not include New Avengers #7-8? So you would still have to get New Avengers Vol 2 TPB to get issues #7-8.

The other option, of course, is to get the Infinity hardcover that includes
Infinity #1-6
Avengers #14-23
New Avengers #7-12

However, although you can now skip the second volume of New Avengers, you have to get Avengers Vol 3 for issues #12-13.

TL;DR: If you get the two infinity paperbacks then you will end up rebuying New Avengers #9-12 (to get #7-8) and if you get the Infinity hardcover then you end up rebuying Avengers #14-17 (to get Avengers #12-13).

Top Bottom