• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Someone refresh my memory because I'm definitely forgetting something

why is 616 just giving up and saying it doesn't matter and they're all gonna die? So blowing up the Ultimate earth won't matter and their universe will still die no matter what correct?

Mudcrab

Someone refresh my memory because I'm definitely forgetting something

why is 616 just giving up and saying it doesn't matter and they're all gonna die? So blowing up the Ultimate earth won't matter and their universe will still die no matter what correct?

That's what I understand.
They can't win so all they can do is not lose. That's why they're building an ark to live in the "white" space. The Beyonders are still going to destroy whichever universe survives the final incursion.

He's talking about Wakanda. Blowing up worlds doesn't matter anymore. "Isn't there anyone willing to help?" He might have been once, there could have been a way to save more people if he still had a country at his disposal, but they paid the Cabal's price with Wakanda. So all he has to offer is the awful truth and nothing else, "Ash."

Yeah, that's what i found weird. Dude was king of the dead well before the incursions started, and that ain't on the cabal. Just sounded like Tchalla refusing to accept his share of the blame as usual.

These last few months I have not liked Cap in the series. Far too stubborn and single minded, especially in this final issue.

I do like how hard U. Fury came in though. Just come in like a mutha fucker and don't give them a chance to defend. The trick is can 616 hold them off and stop U. Reed's singularity weapon from coming through. And how bad are Thanos and Maximus going to fuck over the U. Universe too?

As for Doom, I love that he didn't give a fuck and just went right for the Beyonders. Of course, he also fucked up at the end. Some of the explanations in here do make sense, but I am still a bit confused. I think he was just confused that it looked like a bunch of Mapmakers coming for the Library bomb he was sending.

The best part was that he was going to use time travel to fuck them up.

nicanica

Guys here's my theory on what Doom did to the Beyonders. If I'm right, Hickmann or Doom is a damn genius.

New Avengers 32 and 33 Spoilers. You'll need New Avengers #33 with you to follow along... I know I have mine as I'm typing this.
Strange and Doom never actually mention what they see when Doom cracks open the floor. I believe that all the clues of what they saw are littered across the book.

The comic never reveals whats in the floor. You just see purple energy flowing out of it and Strange being absolutely appalled. He can't even muster a "Hoary Fucking Hosts of Hoggoth."

In the final pages, you can see that Doom throws some sort of building at the Beyonders, it begins to crack open and something emerges in the final panel heading towards the Beyonders rift. The dialogue stating "I throw back in your face".

I propose that in that floor container were the hundreds of thousands of the Molecule Men that Doom and the Black Swans had murdered.

In Doom's boasting when he confronts the Beyonders, "I have taken what is yours and made it mine.", he's not referring to the Owen Reece of 616, he's referring to all Molecule Men across the multiverse that he's collected.

His plan was to blow them the fuck up with their own weapon at their point of origin.

How can you prove this?
The first molecule man voluntarily lays down in the middle of a symbol and stabbed with a buoy knife. If you look at the panel where Doom is first introduced to the library, the holy of holies room has that same symbol on the doorway. I think the buoy knife, the symbol and the room have a connection, why else is doom just running around stabbing Reece's with the same thing?

Doom is shown what the plan is when the Reece's say:
"He [Doom] doesn't understand it yet."
"Of course not. Explaining it isn't enough."
"No we have to show him".

After stabbing the first Reece, they go to the library where MM says they're unobservable from anything. This is where the other MM's are ending up.

When Doom opens up the floor in front of Strange the purple energy similar to all of how MM's powers have been colored through the whole storyline are rising out. Chronologically, Doom's just explained that Reece is a multi-universal Nuke and then points down into what he's collecting.
" Come and look Stephen. Do you see? Do you understand?"

[U]Why did the Black Swans turn away?[/U]

In meeting the first Black Swan:
"Why'd you hurt that man?"
"Because THAT MAN was unwillingly going to hurt us all"

Doom taught the Swans that MM's had to die because they will be a danger to everyone.
Later as the religion grew you see a Black Swan Stabbing a MM in the back with the knife with Doom's dialogue: "Acting on what you believe has a way of solidifying dogma. It changes the way you think. It changes the way you speak."

So blindly following this, it warped their views and grew the religion.

When the 5 Black Swans peeked into the holy of holies room:
"What did you do that made them turn from you?"
"There was nothing done...It was something seen.

What the Swans witnessed in that room was that this great evil they thought they were protecting the universe from, were being collected by the thousands by Rabum Alal. They were lied to.

What was Owen's reaction to the plan?
"It's genius. It's insane. ITS PERFECT."
Owen even says "Hello. Hello. Hello" He's not saying it three times because he's losing his sanity. He's saying Hello to the hundreds and thousand of his dead self. When Strange contests. Owen Says: "Hey! its got MY seal of approval".

The explosion either caused other multiverses to explode due to it, or the bodies of the MM's weren't actually dead until that point and then upon exploding in front of the Beyonders caused the ends of those hundreds of thousands of worlds Reed mentions on the last page. "Damn your cause. Damn the cost"

I'm thinking the fade to white panels either the plan failed, the beyonders weren't all killed, the detonation was too early or was larger than Doom had thought. It's not his first time miscalculating an explosion.

Guys here's my theory on what Doom did to the Beyonders. If I'm right, Hickmann or Doom is a damn genius.

New Avengers 32 and 33 Spoilers. You'll need New Avengers #33 with you to follow along... I know I have mine as I'm typing this.
Strange and Doom never actually mention what they see when Doom cracks open the floor. I believe that all the clues of what they saw are littered across the book.

The comic never reveals whats in the floor. You just see purple energy flowing out of it and Strange being absolutely appalled. He can't even muster a "Hoary Fucking Hosts of Hoggoth."

In the final pages, you can see that Doom throws some sort of building at the Beyonders, it begins to crack open and something emerges in the final panel heading towards the Beyonders rift. The dialogue stating "I throw back in your face".

I propose that in that floor container were the hundreds of thousands of the Molecule Men that Doom and the Black Swans had murdered.

In Doom's boasting when he confronts the Beyonders, "I have taken what is yours and made it mine.", he's not referring to the Owen Reece of 616, he's referring to all Molecule Men across the multiverse that he's collected.

His plan was to blow them the fuck up with their own weapon at their point of origin.

How can you prove this?
The first molecule man voluntarily lays down in the middle of a symbol and stabbed with a buoy knife. If you look at the panel where Doom is first introduced to the library, the holy of holies room has that same symbol on the doorway. I think the buoy knife, the symbol and the room have a connection, why else is doom just running around stabbing Reece's with the same thing?

After stabbing the first Reece, they go to the library where MM says they're unobservable from anything. This is where the other MM's are ending up.

When Doom opens up the floor in front of Strange the purple energy similar to all of how MM's powers have been colored through the whole storyline are rising out. Chronologically, Doom's just explained that Reece is a multi-universal Nuke and then points down into what he's collecting.

Doom taught the Swans that MM's had to die because they will be a danger to everyone.
Later as the religion grew you see a Black Swan Stabbing a MM in the back with the with Doom's dialogue: "Acting on what you believe has a way of solidifying dogma. It changes the way you think. It changes the way you speak."

What the Swans witnessed in that room was that this great evil they thought they were protecting the universe from, were being collected by the thousands by Rabum Alal. They were lied to.

Owen even says "Hello. Hello. Hello" He's not saying it three times because he's losing his sanity. He's saying Hello to the hundreds and thousand of his dead self. When Strange contests. Owen Says: "Hey! its got MY seal of approval".

The explosion either caused other multiverses to explode due to it, or the bodies of the MM's weren't actually dead until that point and then upon exploding in front of the Beyonders caused the ends of those hundreds of thousands of worlds Reed mentions on the last page. "Damn your cause. Damn the cost"

I'm thinking the fade to white panels either the plan failed, the beyonders weren't all killed, the detonation was too early or was larger than Doom had thought. It's not his first time miscalculating an explosion.
This. I like this. Now to see if it was right once Secret Wars starts.

Yeah, that theory definitely works. I'd honestly be surprised if the actual explanation was very different from that.

The plan has to be simple enough that upon seeing it, Strange would immediately understand what is going on. A pit full of Molecule Men would achieve that. In particular, Strange would immediately understand this spares 616.

The Swan schism would mean a part of them would have kept collecting Molecule Men while others killed them or simply enjoyed destroying worlds.

And doing so, Doom would have spared a few worlds, 616 and 1610 among them, while finally destroying the root of all their problems.

Anyway, the purple glow definitely means Molecule a Man is involved as throughout the run, it has been his signature.

Owen didnt go cray cray from seeing anything. At the start he openly states that, as the deadline got closer, he'd become more fractured. His speech is a warning sign of how close they are.

Unresolved question: why did he choose to help?
Also the difference between Victor and the illuminati.
D: Its impossible.
Mm: nah.
D: k. -proceeds to personally shank 1k mm's in 5 years-

Weirdest bit about the whole thing is that the plan aint Victor's. He'll shoulder the cost and carry the execution, sure, but the plan was completely made by MM.

I think Owen going crazy is because
he has one shared consciousness across all his incarnations and as various MM die, he loses fragments of himself.

He's been fragmented for 25 years, this wasn't an issue until these fragments started being destroyed.

Only Victor has the time/space machine needed for the execution.

Plus MM sed 616 victor was extra special, due in no small part due to the culling of dooms, once again confirming that reed is a twat, regardless of universe.

I didn't like how the plan wasn't Victor's. Felt like it could have been anyone who MM chose to execute this plan.
MM didn't expose it in this issue but bear in mind he offered this to Doom because he was working with him on understanding the incursions.

It seemed pretty natural to me as such a plan would require a very particular kind of anti-hero: someone who could spend 25 years killing Molecule Men and destroying countless universes, all for the greater good, someone who could form a cult and lead it to further these goals and someone who could ultimately stand up to the Beyonders. All that without relishing nor flinching at the horror of it all.

Honestly, besides Doom, the only other person who'd fit the bill I can think of is Immortus/Kang. Except Doom is the one who came across Mapmakers and decided to study whatever was going on. Plus, Doom is a scientist and a Sorcerer, which is necessary to enact the plan (leading a cult and understanding the cosmic scale).

But yeah, Doom worked inside a framework offered by MM but in the end, he's responsible for the execution of the plan.

Mudcrab

Victor was still a little hesitant considering the scale of it all. "This is bananas even for Doom. Doom doesn't want to be a serial killer who only kills one dude."

One thing that has bothered me, however, is that, since this is the last incursion, it was never explained why 616 couldn't simply phase-shift with the rogue planet and let it collide with Ultimate Earth instead.

Only Victor has the time/space machine needed for the execution.

Plus MM sed 616 victor was extra special, due in no small part due to the culling of dooms, once again confirming that reed is a twat, regardless of universe.

Yup. And Doom probably also realized how it would work out and added some twists himself along the way to make it more of his plan.

One thing that has bothered me, however, is that, since this is the last incursion, it was never explained why 616 couldn't simply phase-shift with the rogue planet and let it collide with Ultimate Earth instead.
I thought that was where they were going initially with the phase shift. Let Ultimate Earth just kill the rogue planet and everything is saved, then phase out.

Of course, Ultimate Reed would probably notice it and be a dick and find a way to kill both planets.

I did like in this issue of Avengers that just by the lettering you could tell which universe you were in since the Ultimate universe uses upper and lower case letters. It was a nice touch.

Afrodium

Banned
Now that I've wrapped my head around NA #33 I've got to say that it's awfully convenient that Beyonders, who appear to be the most powerful beings in all of the Marvel Universe and are named Beyonders because they come from beyond the confines of time and space, can't travel in time. Everyone and their cat has done some time travel shenanigans in the Marvel Universe.

Mudcrab

Now that I've wrapped my head around NA #33 I've got to say that it's awfully convenient that Beyonders, who appear to be the most powerful beings in all of the Marvel Universe and are named Beyonders because they come from beyond the confines of time and space, can't travel in time. Everyone and their cat has done some time travel shenanigans in the Marvel Universe.

It's kind of necessary right? Otherwise why wouldn't the all-powerful beings repeatedly travel back in time until everything finally goes their way?

How can you prove this?

Later as the religion grew you see a Black Swan Stabbing a MM in the back with the knife with Doom's dialogue: "Acting on what you believe has a way of solidifying dogma. It changes the way you think. It changes the way you speak."

amazing
perfect
love it

It's kind of necessary right? Otherwise why wouldn't the all-powerful beings repeatedly travel back in time until everything finally goes their way?

Yerp. That would also render any great experiment meaningless, since it would be instantly resolved.

"oh what happens if we do this?" tries, fast-forward, sees result, goes back, delete, try again.

Which is basically what is usually implied that Victor does to protect Earth.

Also, if we go by that horrible Scottie Lang punking Victor arc, why LT sez that victor is omniscient (or as good as omniscient, anyway).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ok did all those universes die because that explosion was a shit ton of universe's MM dying?

Also didn't Thor/hyperion/ and the rest die after the 100K universes died, but they are dead at the point that Doom enacts that plan?

Ok did all those universes die because that explosion was a shit ton of universe's MM dying?

Also didn't Thor/hyperion/ and the rest die after the 100K universes died, but they are dead at the point that Doom enacts that plan?
The best working theory, as illustrated on this page, is that Doom indeed threw a shitload of MM at the Beyonders.

The temporality here is pretty clear: Doom came after Thor's and Hyperion's death, as illustrated by Thorr's hammer. Thousands of universes disappearing happened after the Multiversal Avengers departed on their journey. We've just learned that they all died before these universes disappeared.

Afrodium

Banned

Oh yeah, from a storytelling standpoint I definitely get it. They would be unbeatable without this weakness. It's just kind of silly when you think about it.

It's kind of strange that there was seemingly no
battleworld setup still. I can't be the only one who assumed that TRO was going to end with the reveal of it?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The best working theory, as illustrated on this page, is that Doom indeed threw a shitload of MM at the Beyonders.

The temporality here is pretty clear: Doom came after Thor's and Hyperion's death, as illustrated by Thorr's hammer. Thousands of universes disappearing happened after the Multiversal Avengers departed on their journey. We've just learned that they all died before these universes disappeared.

oooh ok now I see why Hickman was like read NA 33 before Avengers 44 so you would understand their is no hope and why the beyonders (or at least not many) won't be directly involved with the endgame going forward.......

PsychBat!

Banned
It's kind of strange that there was seemingly no
battleworld setup still. I can't be the only one who assumed that TRO was going to end with the reveal of it?
Nah. It was mentioned many times that the initial confrontation between the mainstream universe and the ultimate universe would take place in the first SW issue. And that neither will survive.

PsychBat!

Banned
I mean if you're coming into the SW OT shouldn't you expect open spoilers for everything that's happened leading up to #1?
Yeah, but some threads are usually split on that kind of stuff. I'm glad we don't have to do it for the main OT.

Hashtags are a good idea too.

I love that Spider-Man figure variant.

That toy was my first Marvel thing ever
along a Doom figure because Doom is awesome.

My parents didn't want to get me the Captain America figure because Reagan or something lol.
God I feel old.

Edit: Hickman writes a mean Rocket. Maybe he should take on GotG next.

I love that Spider-Man figure variant.

That toy was my first Marvel thing ever
along a Doom figure because Doom is awesome.

My parents didn't want to get me the Captain America figure because Reagan or something lol.
God I feel old.
The Doom figure from Secret Wars was my first exposure to him. I saw it on the shelf and wanted it because he looked badass.

Hey, guys. Buzzfeed actually has a nice summary post for the set-up to Secret Wars that effectively summarizes the key points of the Avengers, New Avengers, and Time Runs Out. If you think you're forgetting anything important, here's the link. Warning, it actively spoils recent issues of the books, including the issues of Avengers and New Avengers that came out yesterday.

Hey, guys. Buzzfeed actually has a nice summary post for the set-up to Secret Wars that effectively summarizes the key points of the Avengers, New Avengers, and Time Runs Out. If you think you're forgetting anything important, here's the link. Warning, it actively spoils recent issues of the books, including the issues of Avengers and New Avengers that came out yesterday.

While i despise most of Buzzfeed and hate giving it clicks, that is a great summary. Thank you.

Top Bottom