• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy Ride Turbo XBLA |OT| 800MSP - Kart Racing with your Avatar & NO KINECT

Gowans

hOmu1.png

KBUl6.jpg

Overview:
From the Kinect Joy Ride creators comes Joy Ride Turbo, a controller-based arcade racer delivering precision handling and crazy stunts with more thrills, speed, & mayhem! In the new Stunt Park, you’re free to show off! There’s no limit to the whacky tour de force you achieve with friends. It’s a vibrant playground for your car - jump off cliffs, shoot from a cannon, & more. Plus, explore and find collectibles that unlock cars – giving you an edge for faster races and death-defying tricks. Race new tracks, old favorites and 3 modes of play: Battle Race, Pro Race & Time Trial. Challenge family & friends to local 4-player split-screen or race up to 8 on Xbox LIVE. With Joy Ride Turbo, everyone’s in the driver’s seat in this madcap kart racer.
Release Date: 23/05/2012
Cost: 800MSP
Developer: BigPark
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Genre: Arcade/Kart Racer
Offline players: 1 - 4
Online multiplayer: 2 - 8

Screens:
Zbyr6.jpg

hCzX5.jpg

qbJ0n.jpg

rxGUz.jpg

Video:
Joy Rider Turbo Trailer
Gameplay Video

Marketplace Link:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Joy-Ride-Turbo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841125e

Gowans

After playing one track in the demo I bought this, controls great, looks fab and 60fps goes a long way.

Nice and cheap at 800points, gona convince some mates tonight and get some multi in.

U2NUMB

I really enjoyed what I played this morning. Heads up it took a while before it would let me unlock the full game.

Now I am stuck at work wishing I could keep playing so for 10 dollars I think this is a great little XBLA game.

This game being kinect free along with Halo 4 and Forza Horizon having no kinect functionality makes me wonder if MS has realized it won't work for a lot of games.

As for this game it looks fun, I'm gonna check out the trial for sure.

S1kkZ

played it for an hour, impressions:

-very nice visuals
-a lot of stuff to find (on the courses and in the stunt park) and unlock
-controls work well, drifting is a bit simple
-good track design. lots of big jumps and shortcuts

i really like it. so far, its well worth the 10 bucks.

stewy

I remember how excited I was for this when they first showed it at E3 (before the Kinect-ification of it). Can't wait to try it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol @ Blue/Red Shell. That'll fuck those Mario Kart players up!

played it for an hour, impressions:

-very nice visuals
-a lot of stuff to find (on the courses and in the stunt park) and unlock
-controls work well, drifting is a bit simple
-good track design. lots of big jumps and shortcuts

i really like it. so far, its well worth the 10 bucks.
Thanks for the impressions. Could you elaborate on the amount of content in the game? I'm definitely interested, I just don't want to buy something that ends up having no single player, 5 tracks, etc.

Remember when the original Joy Ride was announced at E3 2009 as being a free Live Arcade game, before being turned into a retail Kinect game and sold at full retail price?

Why isn't this free?

Gowans

Remember when the original Joy Ride was announced at E3 2009 as being a free Live Arcade game, before being turned into a retail Kinect game and sold at full retail price?

Why isn't this free?

It was going to be free with a Microtransaction model and this doesn't have that model.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Why isn't this free?

You're seriously complaining about it not being F2P?

If it was F2P it'd cost you a hell of a lot more than 800 for all this content.

S1kkZ

Thanks for the impressions. Could you elaborate on the amount of content in the game? I'm definitely interested, I just don't want to buy something that ends up having no single player, 5 tracks, etc.

i think its rock solid 30 fps, not 60.

about the sp content: 10 tracks, 2 big stunt parks, different championships, each track has hidden car parts, you can unlock different styles for each car, colors and so on.
i would say there is more than enough content for sp only guys (like me). and its just ten bucks.

It was going to be free with a Microtransaction model and this doesn't have that model.

Then they should have given it that model, or whatever. Regardless of whether it's worth 800 points or not, I think it's a fucking cheek that Microsoft are charging people 800 points now that they've actually made the version that would have been free to begin with.

Maybe I'd cut them a little slack if it was 400 points. But charging anything more than the minimum price point for what they originally promised to be free is really cheap.

S1kkZ

Then they should have given it that model, or whatever. Regardless of whether it's worth 800 points or not, I think it's a fucking cheek that Microsoft are charging people again now that they've actually made the version that would have been free to begin with.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Exactly what I wanted the original to be (especially with controller gaming...)!

Gotta check this out. Should be a blast in local mp.

Marco1

This game being kinect free along with Halo 4 and Forza Horizon having no kinect functionality makes me wonder if MS has realized it won't work for a lot of games.

As for this game it looks fun, I'm gonna check out the trial for sure.

No, they realised it sold terrible as a kinect retail title so re-bundled it for live arcade.

Then they should have given it that model, or whatever. Regardless of whether it's worth 800 points or not, I think it's a fucking cheek that Microsoft are charging people 800 points now that they've actually made the version that would have been free to begin with.

Maybe I'd cut them a little slack if it was 400 points. But charging anything more than the minimum price point for what they originally promised to be free is really cheap.
What? Firstly this isn't the game they announced back at E3 2009, it's a sequel or at least a repackaging with new content of what was ultimately a retail title. Secondly it would never have been released with all this content for free. You would have to pay, probably more than 800 points in total, to unlock everything. This game clearly has 800 points worth of content, but it's a cheek that they're charging for a game they made?

Anyway, glad its out in this form. Joy Ride was clearly a solid karting game held back by unnecessary Kinect controls. I'll probably purchase it soon.

Are you kidding? The initial plan was to milk money out of every single piece of content and it probably would have costed much more than 800 MSP. This isn't at all what theu promised to be free.

Do you want what they promised being free? Well you've got it, it's right there: it's the free demo.

Why isn't this free?

Kinect Joy Ride was a $50 game. Joy Ride was initially supposed to be free with microtransactions, now it's $10 for the whole game.

This version was never meant to be 'free'. The version that was meant to be free was created with microtransaction in mind, but they abandoned that game and went with a game that's relatively cheap and likely to appeal more to gamers than one using a MT based system.

Sucks, but that 'free' game never really existed, it was an idea and one that was quickly abandoned in favor of a retail/LA version that was packed full of content and relatively cheap.

Ah, I wasn't aware the original plan was to include microtransactions. I thought they were simply releasing a free game in an effort to increase awareness of XBLA games.

In that case, fair enough, I concede that 800 points for this is a better deal.

S1kkZ

the 2 stunt courses (or should i say: worlds) are insane. they are worth the 10 bucks alone. huge areas with a ton of stuff to collect and find.

Gowans

had a quick flick through while on lunch.

15 cars with multiple skins per car.
Race & Stunt Park game modes
100, 200 & 300HP difficulty class
2 Stunt Park Tracks: Crimson park, Perilous park.
Race: Batlle Race, Pro Race, Time Trail
10 Race tracks: Rocky Road speedway, lighthouse loop, great dragon road, Aviator ranch, Boathouse bay, Cannon crossover, Forbidden fortress, Gold rush road, Badlands Motorplex, Twisted canyon.
Championship Series, 4 per difficulty.

TimmiT

Just played the trial, it's surprisingly good. The tracks have a lot of shortcuts and unlockables, making it very replayable. I also like the big open world tracks.

I think it's more that Microsoft understands that you need to support a platform launch with a ton of software so they pushed Kinect software really hard in it's first year on the market. Now they're at the point where Kinect has sold a bunch of units and 3rd parties are taking on more of the load so they can just use Kinect stuff in games where it makes sense or enhances things.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i think its rock solid 30 fps, not 60.

about the sp content: 10 tracks, 2 big stunt parks, different championships, each track has hidden car parts, you can unlock different styles for each car, colors and so on.
i would say there is more than enough content for sp only guys (like me). and its just ten bucks.

had a quick flick through while on lunch.

15 cars with multiple skins per car.
Race & Stunt Park game modes
100, 200 & 300HP difficulty class
2 Stunt Park Tracks: Crimson park, Perilous park.
Race: Batlle Race, Pro Race, Time Trail
10 Race tracks: Rocky Road speedway, lighthouse loop, great dragon road, Aviator ranch, Boathouse bay, Cannon crossover, Forbidden fortress, Gold rush road, Badlands Motorplex, Twisted canyon.
Championship Series, 4 per difficulty.
10 tracks isn't sounding like much TBH, but im a sucker for collectibles. Thanks for the impressions.

Can you play the Stunt Parks in local, offline multiplayer?

And does that mean there actually aren't 40 or so cars in the game and most are just skins or what?

fernoca

Really enjoying it so far. Then again, I enjoyed the Kinect version. But this one feels way more complete as a package and costs just a fraction. Stunt Park is quite awesome since is this big park with tons of coins, trophies, pieces of cars (you needs 3 pieces of the same car to unlock it).

There are also tons of shortcuts throughout the tracks, with most of them always having a hidden piece.

There are avatar awards too, though they appead as "secret". I did unlocked one (a shirt) when I won first place the first time, but not sure if it was because of that.

S1kkZ

10 tracks isn't sounding like much TBH, but im a sucker for collectibles. Thanks for the impressions.

Can you play the Stunt Parks in local, offline multiplayer?

And does that mean there actually aren't 40 or so cars in the game and most are just skins or what?

you can play the stunt park in splitscreen (i think with up to 4 people but i only have 2 controllers).

15 different cars, some of them have up to 4 different variations (beetle with bunny ears) and each car has different colors.

Galdelico

60 fps?

Can you use your avatar in this? If so, bought.
30 FPS, but really solid and consistent.
And yeah, your own avatar is the default driver of your car.

Game looks gorgeous and pretty damn enjoyable: bought it with the two amazing SEGA Vintage Collections.

Top Bottom