• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy Ride Turbo XBLA |OT| 800MSP - Kart Racing with your Avatar & NO KINECT

Why wouldn't Microsoft just double the achievement points for this game?

I thought after Trials Evolution arrived every game would have 400.

Well, this continues my long streak of Xbox Live Arcade purchases this year. I've only bought one retail title this year (though I plan to buy The Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3). I've probably gamed more in this short period than I have in any similar period this generation.

Vitacat

Anyone try it with the MS racing wheel?

I would like to know if the MS Wireless Speed Wheel works, but won't have access to my 360 for a few days.

And as always, do the missing RB/LB buttons cause any issues? I really like the Speed Wheel, but MS messed up by leaving out those buttons.

Really not sure what to make of this after playing a bunch of hours. It's alright, I guess. The track design kind of bugs me though. There are loads of "short cuts" but none of them are actually quicker than just staying on track. You earn boost by doing tricks in the air or drifting, but being in the air and drifting both slow you down and the boost doesn't always make up for the time you lose. It feels like you'd be quickest just staying on the track and trying to play it like a "proper" racing game and forget everything you know about Kart racers. It's weird. It's not a bad game, just not really what I expected it to be like.

Tracks all look a bit samey too, but that's overly harsh really.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really not sure what to make of this after playing a bunch of hours. It's alright, I guess. The track design kind of bugs me though. There are loads of "short cuts" but none of them are actually quicker than just staying on track. You earn boost by doing tricks in the air or drifting, but being in the air and drifting both slow you down and the boost doesn't always make up for the time you lose. It feels like you'd be quickest just staying on the track and trying to play it like a "proper" racing game and forget everything you know about Kart racers. It's weird. It's not a bad game, just not really what I expected it to be like.

Tracks all look a bit samey too, but that's overly harsh really.

Some of the shortcuts are genuine, but it does seem like the majority are there simply for collecting parts.

The Stunt Parks are pretty big and are what make this a tough 200, I think.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why wouldn't Microsoft just double the achievement points for this game?

I thought after Trials Evolution arrived every game would have 400.
That's an odd complaint.

From what I've heard, XBLA devs have a choice between 200 and 400 pts up until June 1st.

Well this was a surprise. I downloaded the demo thinking it would suck as hard as the Kinect game, but it's actually really good. I wish Mod Nation Racers played this well (and ran at such a consistent framerate).

I guess they didn't want to make it a 400 achievement game, which technically they don't need to until June, I think. Would have been nice.

Some of the shortcuts are genuine, but it does seem like the majority are there simply for collecting parts.

The Stunt Parks are pretty big and are what make this a tough 200, I think.

Yeah, I'm up to about 35ish crates on each of the stunt parks but I have no idea where the last few are. Trophies should be easy enough because they're all in plain sight, but going to have to hope a guide appears for the last few crates.

300HP sports is kicking my ass

Gowans

Struggling with the boost starts.

Also it's impossible to notice any jaggies in this game.

Also is this the full kinect game - kinect? If not what's different?

surly

Banned
I just tried the trial and ended up buying it. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the music, but other than that it's a decent Mario Kart clone.

wwm0nkey

Really hope this somehow does better than the Kinect version just so Microsoft will hopefully learn that things are NOT better with Kinect.

Apdiddy

I played the demo and I'm definitely getting it. It's a lot of fun and I like the feel for the driving in the game (faster than Mario Kart but not quite to the level of ModNation Racers).

I've plateaued in Trials Evo and the track of the week in its OP has been the same since day one so I'm ready to move on to something a little less frustrating and more about fun.

Gowans

Maybe we should get a GAF gamertag for multi in this going, I'm on now for a couple so hours.

If anyone is up for racing or finding secrets in the stunt courses ping me a message on live Gowans007

wwm0nkey

Maybe we should get a GAF gamertag for multi in this going, I'm on now for a couple so hours.

If anyone is up for racing or finding secrets in the stunt courses ping me a message on live Gowans007
I am up for some multiplayer later tonight, game is a lot of fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just played the demo. Wow is this surprisingly fun or what. I expected the car physics to be shit, but they're really enjoyable. And the Stunt Park is indeed huge.

But then I looked into my XBL account and there are only 700 points there... :(

Whats the lowest denomination of MS points I can buy? Xbox.com only showing me 500 :|

Afrikan

I'm confused here...but wasn't this originally free?

then when they added Kinect, they charged for it.

but now that they took out Kinect........they are still charging for it? :/

fernoca

Whats the lowest denomination of MS points I can buy? Xbox.com only showing me 500 :|
Xbox.com (US):
-400 Microsoft Points - $4.99
-800 Microsoft Points - $9.99
-1600 Microsoft Points - $19.99
-4000 Microsoft Points - $49.99
-6000 Microsoft Points - $74.99

Was originally planned as a free to play game (i.e. you downloaded it for free, but paid for cars, customization, items, etc.).
Then was moved to Kinect as a "normal" racer; as a full priced-Kinect game.
Now was re-released with more content and no Kinect controls for $10.

saunderez

It was originally going to be Free2Play. F2P != Free. Microtransactions suck so I welcome actually paying full price for the product instead.

surly

Banned
The core game was going to be free, then you would pay to unlock cars, characters and what have you. With buying discounted MSP cards this cost me less than £5 and I'm pretty sure it would have cost a LOT more than that to have unlocked all of the content you get in this game had it been "free" to play.

Eternia

Would be nice if this was still free as intended. I imagine the word "free" brings out the Microsoft heads in an itchy rash.
We've seen their concept of "free" already (Age of Empires Online, Microsoft Flight) and unusual pricing model (Crimson Alliance), be glad. :p

Top Bottom