• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy Ride Turbo XBLA |OT| 800MSP - Kart Racing with your Avatar & NO KINECT

Shaneus

Bahaha. Went to a link to this off the second level of the dashboard, and it took me straight to the regular Joy Ride purchase. Easy enough to find the proper version, but it's a bit funny nonetheless.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how do the parts work? You need all 3 for a vehicle to unlock it? And they can either be on tracks or in the stunt park?
You need 3 parts for a car to unlock it for purchase (you still have to buy it with coins after you get all the parts for it). You don't need the stock version of a car purchased to get the others. Treat every skin like an individual car.

Tracks have anywhere from 3-8 parts on each of them. Each stunt park has 40. Most expensive cars are 400 000.

This game is very entertaining. Shit, I'd even consider buying track/stunt park DLC. The handling caught me off guard, it's REALLY good. And the graphics are clean as hell. Very sad it got literally zero promo and marketing.

I grinded out the car parts so quick, I'm craving more collectibles D:

wwm0nkey

You need 3 parts for a car to unlock it for purchase (you still have to buy it with coins after you get all the parts for it). You don't need the stock version of a car purchased to get the others. Treat every skin like an individual car.

Tracks have anywhere from 3-8 parts on each of them. Each stunt park has 40. Most expensive cars are 400 000.

This game is very entertaining. Shit, I'd even consider buying track/stunt park DLC. The handling caught me off guard, it's REALLY good. And the graphics are clean as hell. Very sad it got literally zero promo and marketing.

I am very surprised at the graphics, amazing art style and zero jaggies to be seen.

Shaneus

Yeah, this is a massive sleeper. Surprisingly deep, considering. Probably closest to Sega All-Stars, but I think I like this better, despite the lack of Sega IP.

Ok thanks. Sounds like a lot of 'work' to unlock everything but it's fun so it's all good. It's nice when you go to pick tracks it tells you how many parts you're missing from it.

Yeah I can't say enough good things about this game. Great Warner Brothers style cartoon graphics, great handling, good power ups and the shortcuts are awesome. I'm having a great time, finished all the beginner championships and messed around a bit in the first stunt park.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My only issues with the game:

- When playing locally, if anyone presses start, it only shows player 1's progress for parts and trophies. That said, I am a proud supporter of anything that supports local multiplayer, so having all this functionality + able to play through everything in the game with people sitting beside you is amazing.
- I'm not sure what the correct term is, but it reminds me of stuff people complained about in Reach. This sort of ghosting or motion blur effect when your car is hard on the eyes. You might only notice it if your looking at the back of your car while going fast, but it's there. Minor complaint.

That said, I'm pretty much echoing everyone else in this thread otherwise. Great game. I wonder if they're still planning a micro-transaction model. DLC is a core part of MS's strategy overall as we all know, and I don't think any title they put out would go without it. I would love to see this expanded with cars, tracks and a stunt park. Being a car nut, I love the little car archetypes they've chosen and the various skins as well. The art style is indeed very Warner Brothers ish, and they do it quite well. The tracks seem surprisingly well designed too with the number of shortcuts and areas in each you continually discover.

I haven't been able to connect to any online matches but do you receive coins for racing and placing online?

Tawpgun

Kinda regret buying it. It's fun but.. eh..

The power ups seem repetitive and not as entertaining as its competitors. Tracks are also kinda of meh.

I gotta find out about the online interfaces for XBLA games. Can never get into a game.

wwm0nkey

I honestly think a $40 advertised retail release with more cars, tracks, track variety and stunt parks would be amazing for this game.

Krilekk

Banned
I honestly think a $40 advertised retail release with more cars, tracks, track variety and stunt parks would be amazing for this game.

Amazing how? Of those $40 only $20 end up in Microsofts pockets. So why not go downloadable, get all $10 for yourself, have a potentially larger audience due to the lower price tag and get additional money from DLC? There is no real market for kart racing games, it's Mario Kart or bust.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I have found my last car part! Now how the heck do I get it?

It's right at the top of that huge wall. I can blue canister it up to the ledge just below it, but can't quite make it using boost from there. Any ideas?

EDIT: WOOP, Got it! Was being dumb. had to blue canister on the left boost pad and go to the far left where there's a ramp. :)

Kinda sucks how Microsoft just released this with no fan fare at all. Game is really good and needs more attention.

Agreed completely. What's interesting is when you go and buy this game, it says on the description that there isn't any local co-op for it. Which not only is that wrong but I'm sure has already steerred some buyers away.

Amazing how? Of those $40 only $20 end up in Microsofts pockets. So why not go downloadable, get all $10 for yourself, have a potentially larger audience due to the lower price tag and get additional money from DLC? There is no real market for kart racing games, it's Mario Kart or bust.
Sonic All Stars Racing did quite well, over a million copies it's first month. But I'm glad this was a downloadable game.

After playing the demo, i gotta say this game feels uninspired. I would urge people to pick up Blur, or Sega All-Stars Racing which can be bought for the same price.

After playing the demo, i gotta say this game feels uninspired. I would urge people to pick up Blur, or Sega All-Stars Racing which can be bought for the same price.
Seems silly to have to urge people when they can play the trial for themselves and see.

Blur I thought was garbage. That game doesn't even have a single event option. Campaign and multiplayer and that's it, sad a $60 was more barebones than a $10 download game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems silly to have to urge people when they can play the trial for themselves and see.

Blur I thought was garbage. That game doesn't even have a single event option. Campaign and multiplayer and that's it, sad a $60 was more barebones than a $10 download game.
You can go into multiplayer alone and do any of the event types IIRC.

Also let's not get silly now, Blur has far more features and work put into it than this game. The online was quite imaginative too, although no one played it. Still the best kart racer this gen, IMO.

Gowans

This was in the XBLA thread, wonder if it's the next game from Big Park?

PlayXBLA just posted screenshots of an unannounced XBLA game that will be revealed at E3. It looks to be an Avatar Motocross game.

Sqfal.jpg

uZhse.jpg

Original screenshot filenames include "AMX".

Any news on anyone setting up the GAF gamertag for Multi game? I did it once and I was terrible at it.

Haven't had much luck finding online stunt park games, haven't tried races. Microsoft really snuck this one out, there's still hardly any reviews for it. I love it though. Still missing about half the parts in the stunt tracks, I have no idea how some people already have them all.

Haven't had much luck finding online stunt park games, haven't tried races. Microsoft really snuck this one out, there's still hardly any reviews for it. I love it though. Still missing about half the parts in the stunt tracks, I have no idea how some people already have them all.

Agreed. I had the chance to play some online races last night and was a little annoyed by the 75 second wait before the next race starts. But the timer does get knocked down once more players enter the lobby. Overall last night I had a blast though. The only thing I wish they would fix is making the online matchmaking quicker. I really wish more people would by this game it's pretty good.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This is such a good game. I'm kind of disappointed by how few people there are online.

Spent the morning collecting trophies in one of the parks. Reminds me of the Tony Hawk games more than the last skate games I played in the last decade.

Surprised how much I enjoyed the demo. The stunt park was surprisingly fun, and the racing is really solid. A lot of value at 800msp, but I'm hopeful it will have a 400msp sale sometime this year for silver members.

One thing I noticed in this game is if you drive too fast over a slight bump in the track there is a good chance you will go flying through the air and possibly end up stuck in the scenery. I guess I just have to get used to that with the faster cars. Otherwise, I really enjoy the game. I unlocked all the parts on the race tracks, now I just need to get the obscure stunt park ones. I have the original Joyride for the Kinect and I was sad at how poorly that game turned out with the motion controls. I'm glad Microsoft decided to re-release the game using a controller.

One thing I noticed in this game is if you drive too fast over a slight bump in the track there is a good chance you will go flying through the air and possibly end up stuck in the scenery. I guess I just have to get used to that with the faster cars. Otherwise, I really enjoy the game. I unlocked all the parts on the race tracks, now I just need to get the obscure stunt park ones. I have the original Joyride for the Kinect and I was sad at how poorly that game turned out with the motion controls. I'm glad Microsoft decided to re-release the game using a controller.
Yeah I had quite a few moments where I got stuck today.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Only got all the cars left to purchase. I love the subtle things in this game, like how if you buy green for the Justice, it turns into British Racing Green instead of the lime-ish colour it usually is, if you pick the Justice Track.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am missing one car part in Twisted Canyon. I've been round the track dozens of times and just cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Edit: well, fuck, it stands to reason I find it 2 minutes after this post.

It was right at the last bend. It looks like a wall but it's actually a ramp. haha

I am missing one car part in Twisted Canyon. I've been round the track dozens of times and just cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Edit: well, fuck, it stands to reason I find it 2 minutes after this post.

It was right at the last bend. It looks like a wall but it's actually a ramp. haha
Sometimes I post questions with the full knowledge that I will probably figure it out myself right after asking, funny how that works some times.

I have all the parts from the tracks but man finding them all in the stunt parks is going to take a lot of effort.

Uhh, that's gonna take ages. Some styles are 100k+... guess I gotta keep doing that last grand prix.

Yep, it does take a while! You need about 3m coins, and that 130,000 is the only way to make up a lot of coins fast. Only takes about 10-15 minutes each go through though, and in 20 goes or whatever it was, I came below first place precisely zero times. The Inception kills it

I have all the parts from the tracks but man finding them all in the stunt parks is going to take a lot of effort.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to getting all the car parts in the stunt parks either. When racing online what car do u guys tend to use? I've recently started to use the Hammerhead and have enjoyed it so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
200/200 get. Going for them paints next.

I want DLC. Snow tracks is indeed a good idea and would look awesome in the art style.

I don't think this game is gonna be very successful though :/

BUY THIS GAME YOU BASTARDS

derFeef

200/200 get. Going for them paints next.

I want DLC. Snow tracks is indeed a good idea and would look awesome in the art style.

I don't think this game is gonna be very successful though :/

BUY THIS GAME YOU BASTARDS

I will! Reviews are disheartening though (I don't care for them, but I am sure other people do)

I will! Reviews are disheartening though (I don't care for them, but I am sure other people do)

It's one of those games where, if you break it down, nothing much really works and it should be a bad game. So it doesn't review well at all. But when you play it, there's just something about it that means it's still a lot of fun anyway, and reviews tend to miss this.

It's better than the sum of its parts.

alphaNoid

Banned
Ok so this game is all I've been playing lately. My wife and I spend hours every night doing splits screen races and helping eachother find parts/trophies in each map to unlock. This game definitely has the 'gotta catch 'em all' vibe to it and it works good.

Anyone else still playing?

GWX

Yeah it's really good. Shame they never put out any more tracks.

Indeed, DLC tracks and parks would be incredible. A Windows 8 release (that's the way Microsoft rolls, looking at Hydro Thunder Hurricane) would be awesome as well. I have to stop dreaming :/

Top Bottom