• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPGs have really hit their stride, visually.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Technique, tools, and hardware seem to have finally matched the ambition of many Japanese (and Korean and Chinese) dev art teams working on JRPGs over the last ten years.

Game after game, they just look gorgeous.

The bright colors, next-level hair, improved shaders, the awesome “layered” anime eye aesthetic, devs have REALLY got it locked in.

Persona, SMT, Mana, Granblue, even the new Trails. Pure eye candy. And there are a ton of lower budget projects that still yield very attractive games.

It’s now to a point that even while
most of these games don’t reach the fidelity of some AAA Western titles, I simply don’t care (and that’s clearly not the point anyway). They’re leveraging art style and clever techniques to deliver visuals greater than the sum of their parts.

What I think is especially interesting is the way developers prioritize things visually. They’re being smart with their budgets. Both monetary and performance. With things like barely modeled filler crowds with no faces in Persona. They’re there to be a mass of bodies and they aren’t hiding that and instead leaning into it. It feels like an artistic choice even if it was to save performance or time.

In short, they sure know what they’re doing, huh?

Thanks, Asia.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-Screenshot-21.jpg
trials-of-mana-review-party-members.jpg

P3R_NewMoon_022.jpg
Atelier-Ryza-3-Alchemist-of-the-End-and-the-Secret-Key_2022_09-13-22_001-1000x600.jpg
ss9.webp
71KVy6cPmRL.jpg

DQXI-party-v0zijmbha.jpg
switch_fethreehouses_e3_screen_11.jpg

unicorn-overlord.png
tales-of-arise-party.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Persona 6 should be a looker. It’ll be a proper AAA game with a huge budget. I’m expecting 10M+ units from it if it releases on the next Switch, the current Switch, PS5, PS4, and PC.

sigmaZ

Technique, tools, and hardware seem to have finally matched the ambition of many Japanese (and Korean and Chinese) dev art teams working on JRPGs over the last ten years.

Game after game, they just look gorgeous.

The bright colors, next-level hair, improved shaders, the awesome “layered” anime eye aesthetic, devs have REALLY got it locked in.

Persona, SMT, Mana, Granblue, even the new Trails. Pure eye candy. And there are a ton of lower budget projects that still yield very attractive games.

It’s now to a point that even while
most of these games don’t reach the fidelity of some AAA Western titles, I simply don’t care (and that’s clearly not the point anyway). They’re leveraging art style and clever techniques to deliver visuals greater than the sum of their parts.

What I think is especially interesting is the way developers prioritize things visually. They’re being smart with their budgets. Both monetary and performance. With things like barely modeled filler crowds with no faces in Persona. They’re there to be a mass of bodies and they aren’t hiding that and instead leaning into it. It feels like an artistic choice even if it was to save performance or time.

In short, they sure know what they’re doing, huh?

Thanks, Asia.
A lot of JRPG's are still lacking sadly in framing and scene direction. Sure the animation is nice if you're easily amused by posing and explosions and such, but close ups, draw-aways, etc. still leave a lot of room to be desired. I think Infinite Wealth in it's prerendered cutscenes did a fantastic job in these areas and made me want to see more of that in RPGs rather than the in-game engine pseudo cutscenes with locked angles all the time. BG3's framing of dialogue was also fantastic and every other game I play feels lame in comparison in that aspect.

KXVXII9X

A lot of JRPG's are still lacking sadly in framing and scene direction. Sure the animation is nice if you're easily amused by posing and explosions and such, but close ups, draw-aways, etc. still leave a lot of room to be desired. I think Infinite Wealth in it's prerendered cutscenes did a fantastic job in these areas and made me want to see more of that in RPGs rather than the in-game engine pseudo cutscenes with locked angles all the time. BG3's framing of dialogue was also fantastic and every other game I play feels lame in comparison in that aspect.
This is something I have noticed for a while, but the way you described it was reassuring I wasn't just overanalyzing it. It seems like JRPGs are still stuck in the visual novel presentation style. Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth prerendered scenes are a real treat. I was also amazed how high quality BG3 were. It made it feel like a real step above their last game Divinity Original Sin 2.

BossLackey

Gold Member
They're technically impressive, but generic in design.

I blame modern animes and weaboos

For a long time, I would have agreed with you. But I've been paying a lot of attention to these art styles and while on the surface there are obvious parallels, each game has quite a unique take on the "anime" aesthetic.

Take these two screenshots, for instance, of Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI.

Persona-5-Royal_20190731_06.jpg
cover.jpg

I really don't see many similarities between the art styles.

For a long time, I would have agreed with you. But I've been paying a lot of attention to these art styles and while on the surface there are obvious parallels, each game has quite a unique take on the "anime" aesthetic.

Take these two screenshots, for instance, of Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI.

Persona-5-Royal_20190731_06.jpg
cover.jpg

I really don't see many similarities between the art styles.

And that's the thing I can't tell most western games apart

They all look the same to me

JRPGs will always have a special place in my heart. Been playing them for decades. I am so happy that they are still relevant and continuing to evolve. Love that you guys always call out such amazing games that I might have missed. Thank you my friends!

Same here. I'm happy that there's a resurgence of popularity for JRPGs. Hopefully the west doesn't try to infest them and try to force them to censor stuff at the source

I personally find visuals for WRPGs very boring, it’s mostly why I never got in to them.

That's the thing I used love playing western games too. Mass Effect, The Witcher, Beyond Good And Evil etc but I find that most of western games have became most of the same nowadays plus DEI shit. And this has been happening for ten years now. No thanks

Yeah whenever I replay Star Ocean 4, I immediately skip the cutscenes due to the cringe lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

This is mostly Tri-Ace still can’t decide wants to go with anime style or semi-realistic like FF, so they stuck awkward in between.

SO4 has 2D anime artstyle portrait for character status but the actual 3D model is realistic doll face which feels like from different game.

Last edited:

Fbh

The anime aesthetic has really improved over the last decade. The characters in particular are a lot more expressive than they used to be.
That said the words and environments aren't always as memorable (except for a few standouts like Xenoblade).
I do miss the overall look of the pre rendered era:
tumblr_othw1w5mwL1tln6w5o7_r2_540.gif

42ab9831ea82c8283689e8e8a192170523717e5d.gifv

sFAQumY.jpg

Doczu

Jprgs and DBZ games finally have the fidelity they deserve.
Loved DQ 11, it looked like a Toryiama anime.

On that note. Is there a japanese game with an art style of 80s-early 90s sharp shading?
You know the type, think Redline.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Meanwhile the Lost Odyssey CGI to Gameplay transtion hasnt been beaten to date.

cP2iH4x9MV66s.gif

P.S Eh hit their stride.....I think theyve always had really good standout titles that look good.
But im gald you are liking them more now.

ss_35d3bbdfbf34f3a266650b53597a29e6ba2869ba.1920x1080.jpg

Tales-Of-Vesperia-Remaster.jpg

801695-934162_20070615_001.jpg

blue-dragon-3-13-20-2-1024x576.jpg

screenshot-1249.png

P.P.S

Damn im so glad we learnt how to do depth of field properly.

Top Bottom