• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Julian Assange is going to leave the Ecuador embassy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He IS wanted for rape, I haven't made a judgement as far as to whether this is true or not, but that is one of the charges he is wanted for.

Based on the statements they gave, and given his alibi for being in the top of their shit list, I have a tendency to believe him his innocence. I saw a documentary about him. Assange doesn't seem to be an entirely good man, and he has a past with another wiki founder, but the the ways they are trying to undermine him with seems crazy to me. If it actually happened there would have to had been more than sex with condoms. It was like they were trying to make anything stick to just discredit him with bad PR and drawn out trials.

Mael

Yep. There's at least 3 Scotland Yard officers stood outside the embassy waiting to arrest him 24 hours a day 365 days a year at a cost to the tax payer of at least £11,000 a day. It's crazy how the UK gov is acting like he's Britain's most wanted fugitive.

I bet if they hadn't had police waiting outside he would have come out long before now, and then they could have tracked him down and arrested him like they do every person who has an arrest warrant on them.

Well that's what happens in all high profile cases, you don't want the world laughing at your police force because you let some known wanted guy leave because you weren't looking.
Heck that's pretty much why Sweden want the guy so much.
Based on the statements they gave, and given his alibi for being in the top of their shit list, I have a tendency to believe him his innocence. I saw a documentary about him. Assange doesn't seem to be an entirely good man, and he has a past with another wiki founder, but the the ways they are trying to undermine him with seems crazy to me. If it actually happened there would have to had been more than sex with condoms. It was like they were trying to make anything stick to just discredit him with bad PR and drawn out trials.

It's kinda like the DSK cases, "he must have been set up or something".
Or maybe he's not that good of a guy :/

berzeli

Banned

For the last time, the rape charge is not simply with regards to condoms

From The legal mythology of the extradition of Julian Assange, a really good article regarding the legal aspects of the case
4. Rape

On 17 August 2010, in the home of the injured party [SW] in Enkoping, Assange deliberately consummated sexual intercourse with her by improperly exploiting that she, due to sleep. was in a helpless state.

It is an aggravating circumstance that Assange. who was aware that it was the expressed wish of the injured party and a prerequisite of sexual intercourse that a condom be used. still consummated unprotected sexual intercourse with her. The sexual act was designed to violate the injured party's sexual integrity."'

And if they wanted to smear his name there are way more effective and less complicated methods of doing that.

riotous

Banned
If he had intercourse with a sleeping woman he committed rape.

It's good that she doesn't seem to have been traumatized by the event, but if it transpired how she says it did he's a rapist.

It's really just not an excuse to say that she didn't feel that bad about it at first.

I'm not defending this guy for the rape allegations. He should've gone and cleared things up years ago.

Now, being extradited to the US on the other hand because the goverment believes they have the right to police the world the way their own police commits crimes against its own citizens without consequence is frankly, a ton of bullshit.

Nicktendo86

I'm not defending this guy for the rape allegations. He should've gone and cleared things up years ago.

Now, being extradited to the US on the other hand because the goverment believes they have the right to police the world the way their own police commits crimes against its own citizens without consequence is frankly, a ton of bullshit.
Agreed. Good job he hasn't been then isn't it? Thank god the UK doesn't have any extradition treaties with the US. Oh wait...

Edit: my post is obviously sarky but not meant to be rude if it comes off that way BTW :)

Think about Bradley Manning. I bet that guy longed for death years ago. People literally will go insane for what they are doing to whistle blowers. It's atrocious.

berzeli

Banned

But he isn't being extradited to the US, and if he were to be extradited it would be much easier to do that from the UK rather than Sweden. The continued intertwining between the sexual-crime charges and the possibility of an US extradition is saddening.

Where is the evidence that the US intends to try to extradite him?

Non-existent.

DarkFlow

Banned
Why doesn't Sweden just send some police to London and question him? It's not like they have no idea where he is, and I'm sure he would agree to it.

berzeli

Banned
Why doesn't Sweden just send some police to London and question him? It's not like they have no idea where he is, and I'm sure he would agree to it.

Because they want to arrest him, not question him. However in Sweden an arrest is usually preceded by a "förhör" which has been mistranslated as questioning. I have explained it quite a few times now.

DarkFlow

Banned
Because they want to arrest him, not question him. However in Sweden an arrest is usually preceded by a "förhör" which has been mistranslated as questioning. I have explained it quite a few times now.

Well they need to question him before they can arrest him right?

berzeli

Banned
Well they need to question him before they can arrest him right?

Yes. But it doesn't matter if you have started a whistleblower-website, cured cancer or whatever you don't get to decide the terms of your investigation. They want to question him in Sweden so they can arrest him, charge him, and after a year of court battles let him walk.

And, even if they questioned him in London he still would be wanted for arrest. So it would accomplish nothing. Nothing at all.

So after all these years hiding in this building even though its been guarded by the police there is no way he could have sneaked out?

Surely after years / months the police guards would have let their guard down a bit.

What if they snuck him out during the night dressed as a woman with with a wig and all ?

BadHand

So after all these years hiding in this building even though its been guarded by the police there is no way he could have sneaked out?

Surely after years / months the police guards would have let their guard down a bit.

What if they snuck him out during the night dressed as a woman with with a wig and all ?

There was talk about sneaking him out in a diplomatic bag at one point.

Baki

Well that obviously depends on where they decide to flee to. Getting someone back from the UK is rather simple thanks to the European Extradition Treaty, all you have to do is issue a European Arrest Warrant and things pretty much take care of themselves. As this farce has proven for two years now extraditing someone from a country like Ecuador is another matter entirely.

He's wanted on serious charges. Are you seriously suggesting that he should get a get out of of jail free card just because he's a paranoid celebrity who has happened to have done some good in the past and because "everyone" has apparently fallen for a conspiracy theory?

Edit: so looks like the charges aren't as black and white as originally portrayed.

Regardless, I find this whole situation highly unusual. Lets see what happens.

Volimar

You're thinking of this guy:
2851-1e73d315b5bd46cedfa8c604f04de395.jpeg

You know, I'm kinda neutral on the guy, but what a douchey cover photo. Come on guy.

Volimar

I wonder how much it costs to house Assange there and who is paying for it.

you're mad at him when you should be talking to the photog. Its not like that's from his mirror selfie collection, posing with his dad's flag.

Pretty sure that's his tinder profile pic.

Staf

As a Swede i hope he gets transferred here as soon as possible. I firmly believe in our justice system. If he is innocent he is innocent.

Julian Assange, Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning are all heroes in my book and the fact that these whistle-blowers are all being chased around the world, depicted as traitors and (being attempted to be) thrown in jail with life sentences, along with the fact that large portions of the public are actually going along with the lies that are being told about them, not recognizing or considering the importance and necessity behind their actions, at the cost of their own lives, is heartbreaking to me.

The only crime that these three are guilty of is telling the world the truth. We used to applaud people for doing so, but in the post 1984-era of politics and power we try to tear them down.

PS: Yes, I do think Assange should appear in front of a judge for the rape case, but we all know that the moment Sweden gets their hands on him they will send him to the US where he will never been seen or heard from again, ala Manning.

Kinyou

As a Swede i hope he gets transferred here as soon as possible. I firmly believe in our justice system. If he is innocent he is innocent.
I believe one his worries is that he'll be extradited to the US. And while it's doubtful that Sweden would do that, a certain risk is there.

Volimar

I think most people believe that as well. People fear that even if he's found innocent there, Sweden will hand him over to the US for wikileaks related charges.

Julian Assange, Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning are all heroes in my book and the fact that these whistle-blowers are all being chased around the world, depicted as traitors and (being attempted to be) thrown in jail with life sentences, along with the fact that large portions of the public are actually going along with the lies that are being told about them, not recognizing or considering the importance and necessity behind their actions, at the cost of their own lives, is heartbreaking to me.

The only crime that these three are guilty of is telling the world the truth. We used to applaud people for doing so, but in the post 1984-era of politics and power we try to tear them down.

PS: Yes, I do think Assange should appear in front of a judge for the rape case, but we all know that the moment Sweden gets their hands on him they will send him to the US where he will never been seen or heard from again, ala Manning.

Assange is charged with rape and Snowden fled to fucking Russia of all places. He painted himself as a traitor.

Assange is charged with rape and Snowden fled to fucking Russia of all places. He painted himself as a traitor.

Right, because we all learned from the Chelsea Manning case that Snowden would have gotten a fair trial, would not have been tortured (put into solitary confinement for example) and gotten proper legal representation. Who are you kidding here?

Lucumo

Sweden and UK gave the UN the middle finger when they said Assange was subject to arbitrary detention. So I doubt that.

Also, there really are a lot of shitty people in this thread.

Kinyou

It's not like Snowden planned to stay in Russia.
Remember that the US even forced the plane of the president of Bolivia to land because they suspected Snowden was on board. It's kind of hard for him to leave the country.

Walpurgis

Banned
Was he supposed to stay in the US? Or maybe flee to countries that totally wouldn't deport him like Canada and the UK? Stop playing around.

Condom

That guy is being tortured already if you ask me, 4 years of his life gone.

It's funny how some people don't seem to understand that the US federal government does actually play dirty tricks to protect their interests. One of those also is negative propaganda on whistleblowers like Assange.

Maybe it depends on what kind of image of the US government you were fed, some got to learn that it's actually a righteous state that always does righteous things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom