• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I believe he owns his name and WWE licenses it from him thus he gets royalties from cups, shirts, toys, video games, Christmas ornaments

Also

jnbIkW2.gif

Long distance relationships in WWE do not have a great history.

Punk would be the biggest fucking hypocrite ever if he came back part-time. He's spent the last three years bitching about guys coming back part-time.

I believe he owns his name and WWE licenses it from him thus he gets royalties from cups, shirts, toys, video games, Christmas ornaments

Really? I thought WWE owns the name rights to all their superstars (like Bubba Bubba Ray Dudley). I'm going to go on a limb here and speculate Punk gets a small stipend for all radio and on camera interviews. Plus, he could buy a stake in the Chi-town Blackhawks (since he is a fan). He can also commentate for AXS or UFC.

I'm going to interview CM Punk one of these days.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's a good one. But I wonder, how long does one wrestle in order to successfully retire? Does Punk have some worthwhile investments he's getting into?

Punk made like 2 million a year before bonuses in 2011. When you add in PPV bonuses and merchandise he was definitely topping 2.5 million. He owns an apartment in downtown chicago worth at least 1 million, also bought joey mercury a house after he fell on hard times.

That's per year. So let's say he made $10 million over the course of his career, paid $6 million in taxes (waaaayy too high), and the house he bought joey mercury was also worth $1 million (waaaaaaaaayy too high, again)

He still has $2 million after taxes left in liquid assets, plus $1 million in equity. Put $1 million in stocks, get a conservative 5-7% return per year ($50k-$70k), maybe another connservative 20k per from lower risk investments, keep $250K in money market and rainy day funds set aside. $70K-$100K rolling in per year, 3 million dollars in net assets, with most of that being liquid, and no debt.

He's fine.

Really? I thought WWE owns the name rights to all their superstars (like Bubba Bubba Ray Dudley). I'm going to go on a limb here and speculate Punk gets a small stipend for all radio and on camera interviews. Plus, he could buy a stake in the Chi-town Blackhawks (since he is a fan). He can also commentate for AXS or UFC.

I'm going to interview CM Punk one of these days.

Nah, Punk is a notable exception. For whatever reason, he refused to outright sell his name to WWE when he came in, so they agreed to license it for use from him. He still owns the name CM Punk.

I think his walking out voided his royalties. I'm not certain, but I feel like I remember that being mentioned sometime over the last six months.

Jericho laid it out in one of his books, basically their contracts are a mess of legalese but basically they are paid a retainer while under contract as well as a guaranteed upside so long as they meet their date requirements per month. Merchandise is a standard percentage of gross with a higher royalty paid for top stars if they negotiate it.

By no longer wrestling with the company he's only missing out on the guaranteed upside but there is no chance in hell anyone would have taken a deal that could void their merch royalties as it would basically fuck them if they got injured.

How does he get royalties? I don't think he can turn a profit from his merch since he quit. I need more info.

He will have a different contract now, but as he never outright sold or signed away the CM Punk name they can't use his name or likeness in marketing materials without paying a licensing fee. They can still sell his matches in DVDs and pay a much smaller royalty but that is standard with everyone. This is why he isn't on the cover of that Cena DVD but he still may be featured heavily on the actual disc.

They need to hire Uhaa Nation for this. Like yesterday...
ibcIIW9623N2uB.gif

I feel like as soon as anyone in upper management becomes aware of Uhaa's existence, he'll be on a plane to Orlando.

Xavier is absolutely the best choice to lead the group though. He can talk better than any of the other choices.

EDIT: More Uhaa gifs

o.gif

n.gif

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '92 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Love that main event. Great stuff.

You know what I didn't love? That Nasty Boys match going, like, 29 minutes and change and then ending in a disqualification. Come. On.

Anyway! 1994, here I come (after this final RAW)!

This just proves how awful wrestling's been to its fans. Two things finally happen that everybody saw coming whether they wanted to or not (Punk being gone and happy, and Sting coming to the E), and nobody can bring themselves to believe it. They've gotta believe something's gonna happen that fucks it up.

jred2k

After Brock wins the belts he should rip them apart and throw down the big gold. Tell tge locker room he doesn't want to carry two and he'll be back when someone worthy is holding it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After Brock wins the belts he should rip them apart and throw down the big gold. Tell tge locker room he doesn't want to carry two and he'll be back when someone worthy is holding it.

I like to think Brock will get a big, comically large bag of money instead of a title.

After Summerslam we will be getting close to the 6 month window of the network.

Curious to see what direction they go in because they do need to hit it out of the park.

*looks at RAW spoilers*

So... Woods/Kofi/Big E heel turn? Ehhhhh. I could see it working for Woods. Let him come out every week as Dr. Woods and talk down to the crowd.

EDIT: Also holy shit Ryder won a match :D
Against Fandango D:

DMczaf

Miami has the worst fans. Jesus Christ. We are in Hour 3 of this show and people are still looking at the Titantron to see if they are on TV, and when they see themselves they start dancing.

Fucking Heat Culture.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Wow, according to Jericho, Vince once fined Batista $100K for blading after it was banned. He also fined Jericho $5K for being in the match, but Batista paid Jericho's fine for him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wow, according to Jericho, Vince once fined Batista $100K for blading after it was banned. He also fined Jericho $5K for being in the match, but Batista paid Jericho's fine for him.

Flair and Savage got fined for blading at WM 8 as well. Outside of the Attitude era, WWF has always been very anti-blading.

Mahonay

Banned
Didn't see the new thread, so posting this here now;

Half way though watching last month's NJPW Dominion.

Kota Ibushi Vs Ricochet.
Ricochet.gif

My match of the year so far. Christ that was insane These two dudes are from opposite ends of the earth, but were born to wrestle each other. Beautiful. Work rate was relentless, and both guys were absolutely perfect, which is nuts considering the ridiculous spots they were pulling off. Didn't drag on, was the perfect length for a spot fest. When the match was over, you could tell both guys realized they did something special. Highly recommend anyone here to give it watch if you haven't yet.
---> Dailymotion Link for match

Sanjuro

I'll stand by my best Raw of 2014.

Best Raw with the worst crowd. It does highlight crowd means next to nothing sometimes.

Top Bottom