• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

I think Raw had an event that not even the Kofi Clock could foresee, needless to say I'm intrigued to see where the Wildcat goes from here.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Raw had an event that not even the Kofi Clock could foresee, needless to say I'm intrigued to see where the Wildcat goes from here.

vlcsnap-2012-07-08-16h31m14s153.jpg

Into

Despite being a part timer, despite beating a beloved legends streak, despite having one of the best heel managers ever, Brock will still be the face of that match and the crowd will pop for him.

Cena just cannot catch a break, i expect Brock to be skinning cats alive next Raw, while Cena is kissing babies.

Its just a mess, but i look forward to Brock beating him

Recall

Oh Cesaro, how you have fallen...

I think he qualifies as the E's biggest fuckup this year - over and above D-Bry's sad temporary fall. Cesaro was the second biggest pop at WM, and since then he's been dumped on. There was no reason not to push him over and above Reigns - better in the ring, better on the mic, better full stop. Cena had dropped down the card nicely - a change of the guard is fine, the public will adapt. In fact, they already had, from the WM reactions.

This isn't new it's been that way for for eons yet every year people get worked up over it as if they never saw it coming. Appreciate what you have with Cesaro now instead of always begging for more. If something good comes of it all them good but we all know the routine.

WWE hasn't changed in 14 years with how it books and pushes talent, and it won't now.

Cagey

Banned
Bray gets paid by the word. He can talk wonderfully yet he rarely says anything of note. The crowd gave him a proper response for his nonsense last night.

Be interesting pls.

Into

I think they need to take the gimmick of a redneck hillbilly cult leader further, the Wyatt family should near Texas Chainsaw Massacre type levels of insanity and weirdness.

It started out that way in a sense but now its just him talking nonsense, the character should be scary, not be doing sing a longs with the crowd or even wanting to appear on the Highlight Reel.

That is if they want this character to be taken seriously like a Undertaker, original Kane and Mankind version of the "freak wrestler"

Hasney

Xavier needs to go up to R-Truth and tell him about a consipracy, making him flip back to crazy Truth.

Then we have the best angle of all the times.

Bray Wyatt is a character I feel as if I should enjoy but I almost always tune out of his promos about 15 seconds in because it sounds like the same old waffle each time, I actually find Heel's parody posts pretty on point.
With the Cena storyline he actually had something of an angle to take his meandering promos down but it's Cena so it wasn't long before it was all rendered moot anyway.

bjork

This isn't new it's been that way for for eons yet every year people get worked up over it as if they never saw it coming. Appreciate what you have with Cesaro now instead of always begging for more. If something good comes of it all them good but we all know the routine.

WWE hasn't changed in 14 years with how it books and pushes talent, and it won't now.

What was different before 2000? Replace Cena with Austin and you've got the exact same thing, just on a shorter run.

Ithil

What was different before 2000? Replace Cena with Austin and you've got the exact same thing, just on a shorter run.

The crowd actually loved Austin, and he had many memorable angles. And was the top guy from 1998-2001, with him missing more or less all of 2000. There were also other big stars who had the focus at different times. particularly the Rock.

Half the crowd despises Cena, he's been on top for 9 years straight, he sells nothing, he hasn't done anything new in 7 years, and he's on an endless loop of the same (bad) angles and promos over and over, while he's given every accolade and endorsement possible.

Cena winning a lot isn't even the main thing wrong with his run.

jred2k

Wow, I just noticed that dude has a wedding ring. His reactions were great, though. That segment was all the worst parts of soap opera wrestling, but it was so fun watching Triple H and Steph chew up the scenery.

Hasney

The crowd actually loved Austin, and he had many memorable angles. And was the top guy from 1998-2001, with him missing more or less all of 2000. There were also other big stars who had the focus at different times. particularly the Rock.

Half the crowd despises Cena, he's been on top for 9 years straight, he sells nothing, he hasn't done anything new in 7 years, and he's on an endless loop of the same (bad) angles and promos over and over, while he's given every accolade and endorsement possible.

Austin even changed up his character or added new little things to them. Barring the What chants, his paranoid character leading the alliance was good as was his tag team with Angle.

Cena has been this version of Cena ever since he went to Raw and dropped the rapping after kicking out Christian and Jericho and like this post says, they built up Rock but also Mankind and Triple H in this period.

Cena needs a change, break or a losing streak in big matches. I thought they were going to go with that when he was all depressed about losing to The Rock and then getting beat by Brock, but of course not.

Aiii

So not worth it
So grumpy that MapMyRide doesn't let you track off road stuff if you want. Or a long, paved path of a city park.

Haven't had those problems myself, biked a whole bit on a (forest) dirt road last week and it worked just fine.

To be fair, might have been mapped. Got a bit annoyed that it doesn't auto-stop when you have to stop for a trafficlight or something. Got a steeringwheel-mount now, but I still forget to pause it every now and then.

bjork

4 years active as the top dog vs 8 years is a big difference.

Right, but that's got zero to do with the booking. Cena's just willing to go along with what they're doing and is healthy, Austin got fed up and went home, and was beaten up before he ever even got to WWF. They've always always booked a superhuman on top and maybe the guys who are more fun to watch get a belt, maybe they don't. It was going on in the 80s, it was going on in the 90s.

If Austin had continued to be pushed for as long as Cena, people would've been tired of him as well. It happened to Hogan, too. The problem isn't Cena, he's just showing up for work. The problem is, who takes the spot? If you're him and you feel some obligation to this company that made you a millionaire, you want to leave it in good hands. Who takes the spot? Roman Reigns? Orton can't do it. Kane is 200 years old. Big Show is a booking disaster. There is no answer in the talent pool they have now.

So while it is a problem, what's the solution? Staying the course until the next superstar comes down the line, apparently. He's just not here yet.

Hasney

Austin was never really booked as superhuman though. Kane and the Undertaker together? Odds not overcome. Rock and the Corporation had him down for 6 months as well and had he not got injured, HHH would probably have gotten a run over him at some point too. In 8 years, only Edge, Punk and Orton could really claim to have decisively beaten Cena in multiple matches. That's insane.

Ithil

Austin was never really booked as superhuman though. Kane and the Undertaker together? Odds not overcome. Rock and the Corporation had him down for 6 months as well and had he not got injured, HHH would probably have gotten a run over him at some point too. In 8 years, only Edge, Punk and Orton could really claim to have decisively beaten Cena in multiple matches. That's insane.

Bryan, Orton, HHH, Rock and Batista have clean wins over Cena in the last 8 years. That's it. Punk and Edge's wins always had some screwiness in the finish (foot under the ropes, distraction, etc).

njean777

So what is the angle they are setting up with the Bella's? I mean how many times are they just gonna squash Nikki?

Ithil

The angle is Brie vs Stephanie at Summerslam. A non-wrestler in her late 30s, vs a non-wrestler that has matches.

strobogo

Banned
Haven't had those problems myself, biked a whole bit on a (forest) dirt road last week and it worked just fine.

To be fair, might have been mapped. Got a bit annoyed that it doesn't auto-stop when you have to stop for a trafficlight or something. Got a steeringwheel-mount now, but I still forget to pause it every now and then.

I guess I never noticed you can uncheck auto follow road and map what ever you want. I don't use the app or MVP. I just map out where I went when I get home and keep a timer running on my phone. Still, it's weird to me that this trail that is part of a city part and part of a larger, 8ish mile trail is not mapped out while the rest of it is. And that the area in question has 3 year old Google Maps images while the rest of the city has pictures from 2013 or this year.

bjork

Carlito beat him twice. Carlito!

That's creative just being bad at creative, which is the whole problem. I just don't know what the answer is. He's big enough that he doesn't need the belt to be over with his fans, and they won't care if he loses. Is there some spreadsheet somewhere that shows improved company figures while he is the champ? Doesn't seem right.

njean777

The angle is Brie vs Stephanie at Summerslam. A non-wrestler in her late 30s, vs a non-wrestler that has matches.

Oh ok, well from raw I assume Brie isn't fired than. No way Stephanie would have hit her if so. I should have known.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No G1 today, so I'm watching old G1 matches (or, the precursor to the G1, at least) with this match from the '84 International Wrestling Grand Prix;

Dick Murdoch vs Adrian Adonis - (NJPW 1984/05/24)

HOSS MATCH! Tag partners collide! Jeez, Adonis is freaking huge and they proper lay into each other towards the end, great wrassles.

Damn this is exceptional quality. Putting this on my lunch list.

Watched the G1 Day 1 last night, it was amazing. Really great, loved Fale/Ishii, and really REALLY loved Makabe/Goto. Styles/Okada is as expected - fantastic. It was a heck of a night.

Ithil

As always, it feels like Miz is playing at being something he's not. He's always felt like a guy pretending to be a wrestler, or a guy pretending to be a tough guy, this is no different.

evil ways

Right, but that's got zero to do with the booking. Cena's just willing to go along with what they're doing and is healthy, Austin got fed up and went home, and was beaten up before he ever even got to WWF. They've always always booked a superhuman on top and maybe the guys who are more fun to watch get a belt, maybe they don't. It was going on in the 80s, it was going on in the 90s.

If Austin had continued to be pushed for as long as Cena, people would've been tired of him as well. It happened to Hogan, too. The problem isn't Cena, he's just showing up for work. The problem is, who takes the spot? If you're him and you feel some obligation to this company that made you a millionaire, you want to leave it in good hands. Who takes the spot? Roman Reigns? Orton can't do it. Kane is 200 years old. Big Show is a booking disaster. There is no answer in the talent pool they have now.

So while it is a problem, what's the solution? Staying the course until the next superstar comes down the line, apparently. He's just not here yet.

The problem is nobody is allowed to be as big and as mighty as John Cena. Folks aren't allowed to step up and shine unless it's in the company's plans.

Beating a dead horse, but Punk was that guy, before and during the MitB 2011 angle he was hot, and after the PPV you can honestly say he rivalled Cena both in merch sales and popularity. Even little Jimmies were drinking the Punk kool-aid. But like always, "fuck him for not being our planned superstar", and the formula WWE always employs to "test" people by jobbing them was put into work.

And when their chosen ones don't cut it, even then they exhaust every possible method of forcing them through everybody's throat, like Ryback. Terrible in the mic, average and hazardous in the ring, but pushed like hell until they realized they couldn't sweeten up that shitcake.

WWE has a lot of potential stars that get the fan reactions and are talented, the question is, will they be allowed to go over the Cena-Ceiling and see if they cut it with a big push, or will they keep relying on the same old, same old methods. You can't job a guy and make him look like crap for months, and then say "well, we tried to push him, but nobody cared".

Top Bottom