• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Anytime I think about going back there to see how things are, something quickly changes my mind

This week it was someone here saying they were back to using the n-word frequently under the guise of "Ball said it on Raw!!"

Fucking scumbags for sure. I only ever go there to see reactions after shows like this. Seems overwhelmingly positive from what I can see.

Syder

Unlike Cody, Page has actually been improving recently and Jay Lethal has always been a solid worker…

So I'm shocked their match was so poor.

There have been a ton of WWE matches this year that were better than Cody vs Okada

I'm a noted guy who thinks ROH in 2017 sucks

Going to bat for ROH here. 5 matches this year better than Cody/Okada:

Bucks/Trent+Chuck/War Machine (Best in the World)
KUSHIDA/Marty (Best in the World)
Bucks/Hardys (Supercard of Honor)
Volador+Ospreay/White+Dragon Lee (Supercard of Honor)
Bucks/Hardys/Beretta+Romero (Winner Takes All)

Want a top 5 sans Bucks? Marty/Lio Rush and Lethal/Fish from Winner Takes All, and Marty/Cole from Supercard. And I just gave 8 matches. Could keep going.

I'm a noted guy who thinks ROH in 2017 sucks

Going to bat for ROH here. 5 matches this year better than Cody/Okada:

Bucks/Trent+Chuck/War Machine (Best in the World)
KUSHIDA/Marty (Best in the World)
Bucks/Hardys (Supercard of Honor)
Volador+Ospreay/White+Dragon Lee (Supercard of Honor)
Bucks/Hardys/Beretta+Romero (Winner Takes All)

Want a top 5 sans Bucks? Marty/Lio Rush and Lethal/Fish from Winner Takes All, and Marty/Cole from Supercard. And I just gave 8 matches. Could keep going.

Hey are we agreeing on something :O! Cody hate brings everyone together

My WWE/NXT List:

Cena vs Styles
Elimination Chamber match
Men's MitB
5 way Extreme Rules #1 Contender match
AoP vs DIY Ladder match
Both Roode vs Nakamura matches
Owens vs Reigns at the Rumble
Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate
Roode vs Itami
AoP vs Revival vs DIY
AJ vs Shane

Plus arguably:

Asuka vs Ember Moon
Reigns vs Strowman at Fastlane
Goldberg vs Lesnar
Cross vs Asuka from NXT this week.

Basically every Keith Lee match basically from his amazing Orlando Mania weekend run was better than Okada/Cody too

Fox318

There have been a ton of WWE matches this year that were better than Cody vs Okada
I agree but it had me thinking of "main event" PPV singles matches.

Just WWE (no NXT).

I mean AJ vs Cena and Brock vs Goldberg are really the only good singles matches the company has had this year.

I agree but it had me thinking of "main event" PPV singles matches.

Just WWE (no NXT).

I mean AJ vs Cena and Brock vs Goldberg are really the only good singles matches the company has had this year.

Owens vs Reigns at the Rumble was phenomenal and I'd say I enjoyed Reigns vs Strowman from Fastlane more than Okada vs Cody too

Fox318

Fuck, I need Okada/Joe
Okada/Sami
Okada/Cesaro
Okada/Sheamus

Fuck WWE

The dream :
WWE budget minus a commentary team
Gedo booking
TNA Orlando fans? (Fans that don't know the chants and aren't reading the sheetz)
Boys in the back pull straws to see if the match is a shoot or not.

Okada/Stang would tell an amazing story ;-;
Omega already used Sting's gimmick with Okada, though.

tumblr_nv1hhvU4iP1sbzhteo1_400.gif

HeavenlyE

It's amazing how much this place hates Cody compared to other places, anyway it was a great main event with great storytelling imo although obviously not as good as the 2 matches before it

Fox318

So many dream matches.
Some dream matches happen in WWE, but they're booked in WWE.

But in my match Stang wins.

Dream Matches in the WWE:

Joe vs Lesnar
Cesaro vs Lesnar
Cena vs Joe
AJ vs Nak
AJ vs Cesaro
Nak vs Lesnar 2

Everything else has kinda been done already on free tv

OwensIsWs
Dream Matches in the WWE:

Joe vs Lesnar
Cesaro vs Lesnar
Cena vs Joe
AJ vs Nak
AJ vs Cesaro
Nak vs Lesnar 2

Everything else has kinda been done already on free tv
Going by YouTube, Joe/Brock has been booked well.
#LegitShook
That boxing match the most rigged thing of the night. Kidani, Vince, and HHH gonna need to step up their game
Horn/Mayweather/McGreggor triple threat?

It's amazing how much this place hates Cody compared to other places, anyway it was a great main event with great storytelling imo although obviously not as good as the 2 matches before it

What story?

Cody was a dick and Okada beat him.

The crowd literally wanted Kenny to throw in the towel and finish the match on a cheap surrender... that's actually not good storytelling.

Fox318

Boxing is a joke.

The promotional aspect is such bullshit it actually makes me apprciate what wrestling does right

Boxing is a joke.

The promotional aspect is such bullshit it actually makes me apprciate what wrestling does right

Did you see Conor's training video though? WWE hasn't nailed comedy like that in years!

Edit: Hold up, the Pac fight was tonight, and he lost to fuckery?

mj-laughing.gif

I liked Okada vs Cody. A few hiccups but otherwise a good match.

I'm just glad it was an actual match and not either of them doing crazy moves for the whole match.

Man the more I listen to Bryan Alvarez the more I adore him.

It's unfortunate that the only thing that most people hear and share are his bitter rants

Haha for sure, it was fun for what it was. But being there live kind of changes my perspective.

I probably would have had a blast live too so I get that.

I mean I marked the fuck out over a Jinder vs Seth Rollins match because of the live experience and the crowd so I get that

Foggy

I probably would have had a blast live too so I get that.

I mean I marked the fuck out over a Jinder vs Seth Rollins match because of the live experience and the crowd so I get that

Yeah I don't begrudge a more sober, sardonic response to the event.

It's going to be interesting to see how things flesh out. If their "expansion" is supposed to be one or two special events per year in America like this, then this projects to be them spinning their wheels. But if their "expansion" is just whatever evolves naturally from their US dojo, then in hindsight this was just a foot in the door. Honestly though, smart money is on them not really knowing what they're doing and just playing it by ear.

Yeah I don't begrudge a more sober, sardonic response to the event.

It's going to be interesting to see how things flesh out. If their "expansion" is supposed to be one or two special events per year in America like this, then this projects to be them spinning their wheels. But if their "expansion" is just whatever evolves naturally from their US dojo, then in hindsight this was just a foot in the door. Honestly though, smart money is on them not really knowing what they're doing and just playing it by ear.

Gunn and Cody in main event title matches kinda shows that they're just trying anything.

Honestly the production quality was what made it really horrific. Just absolutely bad.

It's a compliment to NJPW that I expect much more for them both in production quality and in their main big matches.

This feels half assed and that's fucking lame.

Put it this way. I expected this to be must see and special. Next time they try this it'll ne eh if I'm home I'll check it out. Their regular big events will continue to be must see. The G1 will continue to be must see.

I already can't watch tomorrow's show live and I was sad at first but now eh whatever.

Top Bottom