• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Hex

Banned
xU32LPW.jpg

I think the reception to the event being negative here is due to expectations and the production values being very negative.

And well, people aren't going to completely kill themselves a couple of weeks before the G1. People are sorta expecting it to be Dominion 2.0 or something.

Hex

Banned
I think the reception to the event being negative here is due to expectations and the production values being very negative.

And well, people aren't going to completely kill themselves a couple of weeks before the G1. People are sorta expecting it to be Dominion 2.0 or something.

For a US event I think it was great.
We are just used to better for NJPW events.

Kornflayx

Started watching the G1 special with english commentary. Heard JR calling EVIL "that's BUSHI, I think?" and immediately switched to the japanese feed. Lesson learned

Yes which is why it shouldn't have come before the G1 or shouldn't have been hyped as something really special.

That's on them.

It also shouldn't have had horrible sound, camera work and shite commentary.

I think it was fine too and I am sure it was a total blast live. I would have been ecstatic to be there. Its more or less what I expected.

But yeah, Cody is not good and has go away heat with me now. It looks like they are slotting him into the story Cole was going to do with Omega and I don't find that particularly interesting, personally.

The way Cody acts annoys me. Not in a heel way where I want to see the face fuck him up. More in an internally cringing way. Okada is so good at selling and seeing him sell to Cody's mediocre wrestling seemed weird too.

I think it was fine too and I am sure it was a total blast live. I would have been ecstatic to be there. Its more or less what I expected.

But yeah, Cody is not good and has go away heat with me now. It looks like they are slotting him into the story Cole was going to do with Omega and I don't find that particularly interesting, personally.

The way Cody acts annoys me. Not in a heel way where I want to see the face fuck him up. More in an internally cringing way. Okada is so good at selling and seeing him sell to Cody's mediocre wrestling seemed weird too.

Okada sold the Rainmaker better than Cody did

Foggy

You can't be down on this show leading up to it by saying it's a glorified RoH show and then say NJPW is at fault for hyping it up too much. They promoted it, as they should, but there's nothing out there to suggest that this was ever supposed to be on the level. Hell, it's called a G1 Special. It's named because of its proximity to a bigger event.

Foggy

Oh and the saddest aspect of the show was the merch line. People stood hours in line for the privilege of buying t-shirts at a wrestling show, at the expense of watching the damn matches. All sorts of stories of people standing in line for half the show.

The same people that either bought the tickets within seconds of them being available or they paid a mint to get resale tickets. All to buy some damn t-shirts. What a world.

Zach

Honestly the production quality was what made it really horrific. Just absolutely bad.

This is hilarious. "Horrific"? Heh. Okay.

Again, I'm only like four matches in, but it's been fine. It's not an ultra-produced, slick WWE presentation -- there have been hiccups -- but it hasn't ruined it for a non-fan. So...maybe settle down.

Trish Stratus' feud with Victoria in 2002 was pretty much a prelude to her feud with Mickey James. But damn the match Trish and Victoria had at the 2002 Survivor Series was insane.

Zach

ZSJ/Juice was a tasty little match.

Still, I will never be a fan of Juice's stupid belt. >_>

Billy Gunn? Yoshi Tatsu? Business is pickin' up!

UberTag

It felt weak even compared to the War of the Worlds ROH/NJPW show I caught in Toronto a few years back.
Of course that card DID have the benefit of also having the likes of Owens, Styles and Nakamura in addition to Okada.

Zach

Kushida seems to be a good babyface.

Fit Finlay, Jr. has a terrible bod.

Tanahashi seems to be having trouble moving...

Haha, Billy Gunn is bad.

Zach

Cody reminds me of a Triple H. Like, he's playing the part, he's doing what you're supposed to do, but it seems phony. There's not really a connection being made. It doesn't at all feel real.

Okada is the best at near falls and kicking out at the last second. He gets me every time.

I agree about Cody. He seems phony as fuck and his character comes across as being forced.

Beefy

Okada is the best at near falls and kicking out at the last second. He gets me every time.

I agree about Cody. He seems phony as fuck and his character comes across as being forced.

Cody's face is the main problem, just looks like some cheesy ass dude. Every expression he does just looks bad.

I know this sounds weird, but I think having all of those commercial breaks and that long meandering intermission really hurt the flow of last nights show.

Yeah, NJPW shows are usually super long but they keep flowing at a pretty good pace.

Since tonight's show won't be live on TV, I'm sure it'll be smoother. Now if only they can get their goddamn production team straight.

Edit: I said it last night, but Cody has all of the tools to play an amazing entitled heel. But he doesn't. He's trying to play a heel while being loved at the same time and the end result sucks.

I hope people who gave the show today/yesterday a look will stick around through G1. It will be really good and set up a lot of story for the rest of the year so its a great time to get aboard.

Im already worried about how much stress my body will go through for Omega vs Okada III. It will be interesting to see what they do in a 30 minute match given the Dominion match.

In the space of 12 hours the world has seen Roseanne tweet about NJPW and the President of the United States of America use a photoshop wrestling scene. WRESTLING IS POPULAR! WE DID IT! WE DID IT!

Fox318

Cody reminds me of a Triple H. Like, he's playing the part, he's doing what you're supposed to do, but it seems phony. There's not really a connection being made. It doesn't at all feel real.
This is a perfect metaphor.

I think it's what happens when you train to wrestle but have no background in shoot submissions.

Cody used a few punches on the ground that in a real aspect of fighting would destroy Okada.

Beefy

This is a perfect metaphor.

I think it's what happens when you train to wrestle but have no background in shoot submissions.

Cody used a few punches on the ground that in a real aspect of fighting would destroy Okada.

Okada is a track athlete though

A track athlete

A track athlete

A track athlete

A track athlete

Fox318

Okada is a track athlete though

A track athlete

A track athlete

A track athlete

A track athlete

His hand fighting, head placmemnt, and quickness on the ground is essentially good catch wrestling.

Cody was never taught that. He was taught how to put on a show, be an entertainer in the WWE system.

Top Bottom