• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Browny

Banned
Omg the thing that pissed me off the most were the entrance songs. They were literally as long as the wrestlers entrance it was associated to. If they have a quick entrance and you put the song on someone else with a longer animation it cuts off and starts over. It also had this waste of resources.
maxresdefault.jpg

Obligatory
giphy.gif

Spuck-uk

Banned
I am amazed that Liger can work the rate he does at his age.

Sure, he's not doing shooting star presses, but he can still go.

Has Liger even been in stiff matches?

Hell yes, him and Great Sasuke beat the everloving shit out of each other. He even had an MMa match with Suzuki that..ended quickly.

He definitely changed his style, and managed to do it well, from insane flippy innovator to more power and striking offence.

I am amazed that Liger can work the rate he does at his age.

Sure, he's not doing shooting star presses, but he can still go.

Has Liger even been in stiff matches?

Oh yeah, tons of times. He had a BOSJ finals match with El Samurai that left both men brutalized and bloodied, He had some absolute bangers with Naoki Sano, and most famously, his match with the Great Muta.

Can we just get the tag match at the PPV to be a rap battle instead?

Actually just replace everything with a rap battle.

I want the World Title contested by Orton shooting on Jinder's roids and Jinder talking about how many bags Randal has shit in lately.

Egg0

Banned
The early days of MMA were the most freakshow carnival shit of all time.

Inoki nearly killed NJPW because of it too.

This was at least 5 years ago, but I saw a match in DREAM where each round had a different set of rules. The first round was like kickboxing, then the 2nd round was grappling, and the last round was MMA rules.

It might've been an exhibition match, but boy was it weird.

The early days of MMA were the most freakshow carnival shit of all time.

Inoki nearly killed NJPW because of it too.

What annoyed me the most during that era was that Inoki never gave his guys the same benefits he had when working those "martial arts" matches back in the 70's, namely: complete cans for him to kick around, or legit dudes who were willing to work a pro-wrestling match.

PROGRESS Chapter 50 is up, great main event.

DD-RJafXUAA3GY2

https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-50:-i-give-it-six-months/63960
Pete Dunne addresses management and fans
PROGRESS Women's Title Match: Toni Storm (c) vs Kay Lee Ray
London Riots vs Banter Edition
Flash Morgan Webster vs Jack Sexsmith
Jimmy Havoc and Mark Haskins vs The Origin (Nathan Cruz and Zack Gibson)
Travis Banks vs James Drake
PROGRESS Tag Team Titles Match: British Strong Style (c) vs #CCK

Recall

What annoyed me the most during that era was that Inoki never gave his guys the same benefits he had when working those "martial arts" matches back in the 70's, namely: complete cans for him to kick around, or legit dudes who were willing to work a pro-wrestling match.

Inoki almost killed Yuji Nagata's career simply because Inoki-Ism Wrestling > MMA, simply threw Nagata to the wolves and then shrugged.

Inoki almost killed Yuji Nagata's career simply because Inoki-Ism Wrestling > MMA, simply threw Nagata to the wolves and then shrugged.

iirc, he said Nagata had "let pro-wrestling down", which was such bullshit - pretty sure Crocop would've knocked the fuck out of prime-era Inoki as well.

Recall

My first exposure to Inoki was when I fell in to the puro hole 2003-2006 and he just always came across as being out of touch, not interested in wrestling being wrestling but treated as being real.

Kazyuki Fujita (SP!?!) being pushed to the top and having really short matches as a MMA/Wrestler champion was so weird for me. The NJPW main event scene felt so disconnected from wrestling yet was the main focus of the promotion.

Especially with NOAH pretty much feeling like the number one promotion at the time, Inoki seemed off to what Misawa was offering.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I dunno if anyone posted this, but New Japan has said the G1 USA shows were a big success and they plan to open an office in LA this year and a new L.A. dojo in 2018. The next tour of America will happen bo later than next April.

Sephzilla

A7EtD92.png

GWF FACTS POST-GWF5

Goldberg Club
The following superstars are undefeated
-- Beefy (5-0) [GWF World Champion]
-- FlammableD (4-0)
-- Pikma (1-0)
-- Skyward Sheep (1-0)
-- SomewhatGroovy (1-0)

The Streak
The following superstars are winless
-- Anth0ny (0-2)
-- BewareTheBatsie (0-4)
-- Caderfix (0-3)
-- DMczaf (0-3)
-- Mahonay (0-2)
-- Menome (0-3)
-- OwensIsNow (0-2)
-- rrc1594 (0-2)
-- Serpentine (0-1)
-- ShadowSwordmaster (0-2)
-- Sweeney Tom (0-1)
-- The Strokes (0-2)
-- Tom Nook (0-1)
-- Excelsiorlef (0-1)
-- Hex (0-1)

Stare Forever
The Hasney/Beefy stare down lasted one minute and fifty-five seconds

Breaking the Seal
The following superstars scored their first win at GWF5
-- Professor Beef
-- Recall

Snapping Defeat From the Jaws of Victory
The following superstars scored their first loss at GWF5
-- Empyrean Heaven
-- Professor Beef
-- Tom Nook
-- Excelsiorlef
-- Recall
-- Hex

The New Blood
GWF5 saw the debut of the following superstars
-- Professor Beef
-- Tom Nook
-- Excelsiorlef
-- Recall
-- Hex

Nobody Could Stop Him
FlammableD now has the record for most wins in one event with 3.

All he does is win
GWF World Champion Beefy is the winningest superstar in GWF with 5 wins and 0 losses. FlammableD, Bronx-Man, and Ithil are the next closest with 4 wins. (FlammableD is technically the second winningest superstar in GWF by a winning percentage point tiebreaker)

Bouncing Back From Defeat
Bronx-Man and Ithil have the best winning percentage of any superstars who have received a loss (80% at 4-1). Empyrean Heaven & korly are not far behind with a 75% winning percentage.

Can't Get Momentum
RBH has the lowest win percentage of any superstars who have scored a win in GWF (20% at 1-4). Behind him is a log jam of six people with a 33% win percentage.

The 50/50 Club
The following superstars keep everything nice and fair with a 50% winning percentage.
-- Syder (2-2)
-- imbask (1-1)
-- UrbanDandy (1-1)
-- Professor Beef (1-1)
-- Recall (1-1)

Championship Reigns
-- Beefy has held the GWF World Championship for 5 months and counting. He's the longest reigning and only GWF World Champion.
-- Tall4Life has held the GWF B+ Championship for a little more than 2 months, the second GWF B+ Champion has been the longest reign for the title.
-- Bronx-Man & Kornflayx have held the GWF Tag Team titles for 2 months.

This was at least 5 years ago, but I saw a match in DREAM where each round had a different set of rules. The first round was like kickboxing, then the 2nd round was grappling, and the last round was MMA rules.

It might've been an exhibition match, but boy was it weird.

That sounds really fucking strange.

Pretty much. Looking back on Inoki's history then seeing how he treated people really is pretty bad.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I knew that rap battle was gonna be good but daaammnnn. Fuck New Day tho. Usos got robbed.

Also Cena is returning so he can bury Rusev AGAIN? Really?

Top Bottom