• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Zach

Even if you have the hots for Nash and are impressed by his ability to exploit the biz, you can't deny his booking run was dreadful. Well, if you've seen it. It was really bad.

Also, as a performer, his aloofness and condescension of other wrasslers served no one well. It definitely hurt everyone he interacted with on-screen and the entire presentation of the show.

He didn't kill WCW, but I'd peg his selfishness as one of the key elements of its decline.

Without Nash, there would be no guaranteed contracts in wrestling. Every worker should buy Nash a drink, or at least accompany him to those infamous steak and cigar Nash fan club dinners.

tumblr_n7qembfWw11rmv1vdo1_250.gif

Zach

Without Nash, there would be no guaranteed contracts in wrestling. Every worker should buy Nash a drink, or at least accompany him to those infamous steak and cigar Nash fan club dinners.

tumblr_n7qembfWw11rmv1vdo1_250.gif
Uh-huh. But there were guaranteed contracts before Nash. And I would think Ted Turner should be thanked before Kevin Nash. I think it was going to happen one way or the other, what with the wrassle climate at the time. Kevin Nash just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

At least that's what I've gathered.

Zach

Holy crap, WCW just killed me. I don't know if I've ever guffawed at wrestling until now. Duggan came into the ring to beat up some naughty America disrespecters and HIS 2X4 WAS BENDING LIKE A SWIMMING POOL NOODLE.

Totally unexpected. I was dying.

(Oh, I remembered one other time I laughed a lot: a Steve Blackman promo. But back to Duggan...)

www.legitshook.com comes through again!

Hahaha...

Hycran

Banned
Nash has the best shoot interviews. He also had a hilarious trolling episode as an announcer

The old glory knee drop indeed

imBask

Banned
nah but seriously I barely watched any WCW when I was younger, we only got WWF around here... And I do believe most of it was voiced over in french by Marc Blondin who's an hilarious local wrestling commentator. Good times

I'm pretty sure the invisible shirt was a cable or something that was in the way.

Or it's some weird inside joke or HHH just genuinely forgot he wasn't wearing anything. Regardless, the way he takes it off makes it look hilarious.

My boy Slater is hurt 😔

Heath Slater was injured Saturday night when a gash developed over his right eye during a match wtih Titus O'Neil at a WWE Live Event in Bangor, Maine. The match was stopped and O'Neil was declared the winner.

WWE ringside physician Dr. Stephen Daquino was on-site and relayed the following to WWE.com:

"Heath has a six centimeter laceration above his right eye. It was quite open, right down to the bone. He got 18 sutures and hopefully that will close it up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kevin Nash had a bad run in WWF. A lot of it was due to how bad business was in general leading up to it with the steroid scandal. A lot of it was due to how bad his opponents were. A lot of it was up to how badly he fit that character as a goody goody face. People cheered BDC to begin with because he was throwing around people and making them look like chumps. He's awful at selling being in peril. He can't wrestle a good match against anyone remotely close to his size as a face. It just does not work.

As far as WCW goes...he's by far the worst booker they had in the boom era. He was holding people back before and after that period, not as badly as Hogan did who had that power in writing but he changed shit to push himself forward, which I don't blame anyone for doing. His booking though. Awful. That's what really doomed WCW.

Man God gets it. Vince did terrible role casting on Nash's end. He should've been a bad guy(which is why people liked him), not a goody 2 shoes. When he gave his speech about only caring about the blacl glove & hbk, that is what it should've been all along. If he were about 7 inches smaller, I could justify his booking but he couldn't play the role Vince wanted. He was still green as hell too, notice that his best matches were with HBK, Bret, and Taker. You all should watch that awesome match between he and Sid, it was so dumb.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man God gets it. Vince did terrible role casting on Nash's end. He should've been a bad guy(which is why people liked him), not a goody 2 shoes. When he gave his speech about only caring about the blacl glove & hbk, that is what it should've been all along. If he were about 7 inches smaller, I could justify his booking but he couldn't play the role Vince wanted. He was still green as hell too, notice that his best matches were with HBK, Bret, and Taker. You all should watch that awesome match between he and Sid, it was so dumb.

Sid comes back in 1996 and is awesome. Why? Because he isn't in a ten minute rest hold with Kevin Nash.

Sid's rejuvenation in 1996/1997 is still the craziest part of watching all this WWF. He is dog shit bad as Kevin Nash's opponent in 1995 to the point where any rational player would think he's done with the WWF. Comes back as a LAST MINUTE REPLACEMENT to Ultimate Warrior and the fans love him. His promos are perfect every time. His matches against everyone are solid at worst and career matches at best. Who is the man? He is. Who is the master and ruler of the world? He is.

DMczaf

Sid comes back in 1996 and is awesome. Why? Because he isn't in a ten minute rest hold with Kevin Nash.

Sid's rejuvenation in 1996/1997 is still the craziest part of watching all this WWF. He is dog shit bad as Kevin Nash's opponent in 1995 to the point where any rational player would think he's done with the WWF. Comes back as a LAST MINUTE REPLACEMENT to Ultimate Warrior and the fans love him. His promos are perfect every time. His matches against everyone are solid at worst and career matches at best. Who is the man? He is. Who is the master and ruler of the world? He is.

Dude I never card much for him until he turned his back on hbk then he rejuvenated himself even more and that's when I put him in my top superstars category. He played the face role better than Vince's hand picked guy then he became am awesome heel in that 96-97 run. I'm glad he got his chance to hold the main title ans main event Mania. Probably wasn't the best event but his performance was so good that it couldn't have come at a better time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That mania is just so good overall that the title match gets lost in the shuffle. Doesn't help that Shawn is out there provoking Bret the whole time but considering where that goes it's probably for the best.

Sid disappears like a mirage right after that too. Ahmed does the same thing nearly a year later.

Zach

I'm not talking about Vince's mismanagement of the Diesel character. I'm talking about Kevin Nash in WCW -- without someone like Vince to control his influence -- politicking to the detriment of an entire wrassle product.

I agree that Cool Diesel was ruined by Face of the Company Diesel. I agree that Nash could've been used effectively, even with his limited ability (Sid, too, who I like a lot more).

But that doesn't mean he was right to undermine the wrestling business at every turn for his own personal gain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not talking about Vince's mismanagement of the Diesel character. I'm talking about Kevin Nash in WCW -- without someone like Vince to control his influence -- politicking to the detriment of an entire wrassle product.

I agree that Cool Diesel was ruined by Face of the Company Diesel. I agree that Nash could've been used effectively, even with his limited ability (Sid, too, who I like a lot more).

But that doesn't mean he was right to undermine the wrestling business at every turn for his own personal gain.

He learned from the master, Hulk Hogan.

Hogan basically had creative control of his character and a guaranteed money contract in WWF as well, what he didn't have though was complete creative control. Nash saw what Hogan did by working with him and wanted in.

Top Bottom