• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Do the different Marine movies actually have different plots or are they basically reusing the script from the first Marine starring John Cena and filling the roles with different wrestlers and C-list actors each time? And will Cesaro be considered for Marines 6-10 or is he just too damn Swiss?

Doing a quick Google search

Marine 1 is cena
Marine 2 is Ted dibiase both stand alone

Marine 3-5 are part of the miz cinematic universe

Do the different Marine movies actually have different plots or are they basically reusing the script from the first Marine starring John Cena and filling the roles with different wrestlers and C-list actors each time? And will Cesaro be considered for Marines 6-10 or is he just too damn Swiss?

1. Different plots, and c-list is getting increasingly generous with each new movie
2. A Swiss Marine?!?!?!?!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They lose money on all of those DVD movies so nobody knows why they make them. I can only assume some kind of tax scheme, but that would call into question why they don't make them actual wrestling movies, e.g. the origin of Bray Wyatt or something cheesy like that.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm not saying they don't have the potential to have a decent little show, but after last night's draft im left feeling completely uninterested in ever tuning into smackdown

There are going to need to be some major trades or nxt callups for me to watch

jmdajr

Sd did a 3.17

Final-Cable-2016-Jul-TUE.19.png

God damn

I fucking hate Hannity. What a true heel.

If Heath goes to Smackdown, I have faith that guys like him, Apollo, and even baron can make the midcard work

But who does a guy like Cena feud with? Too good for the gutted midcard, already feuded with bray and AJ. Maybe a Dean feud?

It's a real shame that Cesaro, Sami, and Bo dallas are on raw. I really loved Bo and wanted SD to make proper use of him before his stupid loss to R truth

Id like to see New day split and Big e on smackdown. Same with Harper

And if Raw can sign some good cruiserweights, thatd be great.

bigkrev

They lose money on all of those DVD movies so nobody knows why they make them. I can only assume some kind of tax scheme, but that would call into question why they don't make them actual wrestling movies, e.g. the origin of Bray Wyatt or something cheesy like that.

Like, they have had some sucesses when it comes to film distribution, but they are movies that don't have wrestlers. That Oculus horror movie from a few years ago made $45 million on a $5 million budget, and that Call movie with Hallie Berry made almost $70 million dollars on a $13 million budget. There is money to be made doing low budget horror/thrillers, as long as you aren't casting a fucking wrestler in the main role. I have no idea why they continue to make stuff like The Marine except for vanity reasons.

Adree

So, was the draft legit bad, or is it just typical internet wrestling forum hyperbole?

It was bad in that it heavily favors Raw with the exception of a few names.

It wasn't bad in that the people who you honestly thought would be called up were called up (whether too green or not) and anyone who honestly thought Nakamura or Joe were being brought up were working themselves. They spent last year building NXT into a name brand they aren't going to draft everyone out of that and leave it with nothing.

Adree

Mr. Grain of Salt(Alveraz) said, expect the new SD set to appear next week. Graphics, ring ropes, etc.

Alvarez has a great radio voice but beyond that he has the credibility of a wredditor. Not that you can report on anything in WWE anyway because they change their minds 50 times in one day.

jmdajr

If nothing else it was fun to see a ton of impromptu unrehearsed backstage interviews on the Network.

Absolutely.

Cesaro shooting. Kalisto lucha thing, D. Bry trying to come up with an intelligent answer for the picks, Booker burying Roman.

It truly was a treasure trove.

So, was the draft legit bad, or is it just typical internet wrestling forum hyperbole?
The whole concept was Smackdown was supposed to be "the wrestling show" and a kayfabe competitor to Raw

Cruiserweights will be on Raw. All of the promising midcarders are on Raw.

Orton, Cena, and Kane (3 of the main targets of "older guys taking time away from younger guys") are on Smackdown.

Carmella was brought up to the wrong show presumably still with her Enzo/Cass gimmick, nailed it

The vibe is basically instead of "2 competing programs" it's "yep Smackdown is the B show but we threw in a few people you'll want to check in on, look it's Daniel Bryan!"

Aiii

So not worth it
That's fair.

It was fun to watch though. For whatever reason you want to pick.

Maybe it was because it was 3 AM and I was getting increasingly more drunk but I didn' enjoy the draft that much. The show was pretty bad, they blew through the picks to get to the filler matches and endless commercial breaks, they had no reaction shots of people getting drafted at all on Smackdown and even the interviews they did have were few and far between. Forget the picks making no kayfabe sense. It is obvious the creative storyline and actual picks were not coordinated at all, but the presentation of the actual draft was just terrible. Also, Steph and Shane acting like they are 12 and fighting over Sunday night dinner is just not any fun to watch. Thanks for pointing out that your brother is sweating Steph, quality diss, really.

Like, they have had some sucesses when it comes to film distribution, but they are movies that don't have wrestlers. That Oculus horror movie from a few years ago made $45 million on a $5 million budget, and that Call movie with Hallie Berry made almost $70 million dollars on a $13 million budget. There is money to be made doing low budget horror/thrillers, as long as you aren't casting a fucking wrestler in the main role. I have no idea why they continue to make stuff like The Marine except for vanity reasons.

Horror films are traditionally great for making money. Costs very little to make usually and it's rare to see one that doesn't make its money back at least in the bargain bins. It's why I'm not surprised one starring the god king Kane is still one of their biggest films and got a sequel. I'd say it could go on for another decade easily but Saw's coming back and I'm not sure they'd handle competition well

Adree

How much was McMahon laughing in the back as Bryan had to happily announce Baron Corbin to Smackdown? It is pretty funny how smarks got worked up thinking Smackdown would be the pure wrestling show and get all their favorites I will admit.

jmdajr

How much was McMahon laughing in the back as Bryan had to happily announce Baron Corbin to Smackdown? It is pretty funny how smarks got worked up thinking Smackdown would be the pure wrestling show and get all their favorites I will admit.

Surprised Zach wasn't picked last.

Alucard

Banned
The whole concept was Smackdown was supposed to be "the wrestling show" and a kayfabe competitor to Raw

Cruiserweights will be on Raw. All of the promising midcarders are on Raw.

Orton, Cena, and Kane (3 of the main targets of "older guys taking time away from younger guys") are on Smackdown.

Carmella was brought up to the wrong show presumably still with her Enzo/Cass gimmick, nailed it

The vibe is basically instead of "2 competing programs" it's "yep Smackdown is the B show but we threw in a few people you'll want to check in on, look it's Daniel Bryan!"

Who said that Smackdown would be "the wrestling show," though? Sounds like it was the Internet just assuming and hoping for that.

At least Smackdown has Styles, Cena, Lynch, American Alpha, The Miz, and Bray Wyatt? Maybe? We'll see. Maybe they'll push some guys unexpectedly? (Zack Ryder or Ziggler) I'll watch next week, but if it's the same old boring WWE programming, I'll stick to just listening to podcasts.

Toki767

Who's really getting the last laugh though? Vince has to explain to USA why he pretty much tanked Smackdown.

If the ratings continue to go down, USA or NBC Universal may not even want it at all.

Adree

I think it's funny that they didn't call up real superstars because they....... have to protect NXT? So silly.

Look how long they kept Balor down there. It seems to have worked because everyone at Smackdown knew who Balor was (and are ready for Bayley whenever they decide to pull the trigger.)

Matt Striker just ruins Lucha Underground for me. He thinks every line he speaks is some amazing bit of wordplay that will be remembered forever and just comes off as the fakest sounding shithead.

Also hate unprotected chairshots and pushing Sexy Star.
I like Striker in LU, but completely agree on those last two. Still on the fence with the intergender stuff.

Top Bottom