• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what I'm gathering is:

If Finn would have lost everyone would be unhappy that "lol Reigns wins again" but Finn won so now it's "lol Finn is bad".

What a crazy fandom.

I just watch the Nov 14th 1992 SNME on tha Network and it was good, oh so good. I love nostalgia trips.

there's the usual recall sweeping generalizations again

So I just noticed the commentators don't seem to have seats lol

I dont know if this is true for RAW, but Murray Walker (Formula 1 commentator) stood for years whilst doing his work. It 100% lets you emote better and seem more invested in what you are doing. Walker commented on sports for almost 50 years, and worked into his late 70s still standing to commentate.

Ithil

As much as I like Finn Balor, it's a slap in the face to the roster to hotshot him into the Title picture on one night. For all the smarks that moaned about Roman getting pushed hard and early, would be great to see some consistency about an NXT transport leaping over your other favorite wrestlers you complained were getting buried in the mid card.

Could you please apply even a modicum of context?

Finn is great. Roman lately has been great. Both deserve good things to happen to them, but for tonight Finn winning is the right move. Roman, for all intents and purposes, is Teflon. The fans dislike him and will no matter what. Finn is a new guy who is now immediately established as one of the three or four top guys in the whole company. We get on WWE all the goddamn time for not making stars, and tonight they did everything they possibly could to make one.

Anth0ny

Roman bused his ass, got thrown through tables and ladders in a 6 man environment on numerous occasions, got very little mic time and played the heavy of the shield for 2 years while Finn got a near instant title shot, ran the whole promotion around him, and was protected harder than any wrestler in the WWE roster

but Finn earned it

did roman have a single great singles match before he won the 2015 rumble?

MG310

As much as I like Finn Balor, it's a slap in the face to the roster to hotshot him into the Title picture on one night. For all the smarks that moaned about Roman getting pushed hard and early, would be great to see some consistency about an NXT transport leaping over your other favorite wrestlers you complained were getting buried in the mid card.

I imagine there's a lot of crossover of Finn fans and Owens/Cesaro/Zayn fans who are happy to see any of them getting that kind of push.

Purexed

Banned
Balor was busting his ass in NXT for like 2 years and the "smarks" will cheer him because they know this. Roman was the chosen one the moment he debuted with the shield.

Chosen one? Last I checked he didn't have a title run as a single competitor(Ambrose), and he didn't get to star in the single most memorable moment of the Shield when they broke up (Rollins). But keep imagining the Shield was all about Roman.

This reaction to Balor getting that main event rub on Day One proves the IWC was full of shit on the Roman Reigns not earning it thing.

KissVibes

Banned

I'm pretty sure the guys in the back would've been more pissed if Roman won again after blowing his forced (for months, btw) push by being an idiot.

Finn Balor was a majorly over babyface in NXT carried WWEs second brand for months and helped make it a touring promotion. Not to mention that he made himself by getting over all across the world and while never winning the IWGP Heavyweight title, was one of the most successful gajins in NJPW history. He even founded what (for a time) was a highly successful, modern NWO successor. Finn being "hotshotted" into the main event is like AJ Styles debuting at the Rumble and getting main event feuds from day one. It grows business and shows on some level that being a good worker can take you where you want to go.

Toki767

Chosen one? Last I checked he didn't have a title run as a single competitor(Ambrose), and he didn't get to star in the single most memorable moment of the Shield when they broke up (Rollins). But keep imagining the Shield was all about Roman.

This reaction to Balor getting that main event rub on Day One proves the IWC was full of shit on the Roman Reigns not earning it thing.

Balor started wrestling in 2000.

Reigns started wrestling in 2010.

You tell me who hasn't earned anything compared to who.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

90% of that backlash has nothing to do with Reigns anyways, it's about D-Bry.

Fantomex

did roman have a single great singles match before he won the 2015 rumble?

After I got over my pride I had to admit that the dude does put on good matches. Whether you wanna argue that AJ, Rollins or someone else was carrying him is a different story. But he does seem to be involved in good matches.

7lM4hJc.jpg

Anth0ny

After I got over my pride I had to admit that the dude does put on good matches. Whether you wanna argue that AJ, Rollins or someone else was carrying him is a different story. But he does seem to be involved in good matches.

but when he won the rumble in 2015, which is when everyone turned on him, he had yet to have a single great singles match. he had a bunch of great 6 man tags, but it seems most fans credit rollins and ambrose for those mtches.

you can't be THE GUY when you haven't proven yourself as a singles wrestler. like... at all. that's fucking ridiculous. all those good matches he had after the 2015 rumble? those should have happened BEFORE the 2015 rumble. then maybe the fans wouldn't have shit on him so hard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goldust started wrestling in 1988

guess it's itme to give Goldie the strap

Kane can have the Smackdown one.

If they get Al Snow in the door he can beat both of them and unify the belt as he is one of the longest tenured current wrestlers. Or Terry Funk.

MisterR

Yep. It hasn't ever been about Reigns. It's always been about the Indy favorites not getting hi is push. All the bitching has mostly been justification of that.

I'm curious what's the reason for the women's title change on Raw. I mean, everyone and their mother knew Sasha was gonna get it come Summerslam, but having it done on Raw is as interesting as it is confusing. My guess is it was done to give Raw an edge?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm curious what's the reason for the women's title change on Raw. I mean, everyone and their mother knew Sasha was gonna get it come Summerslam, but having it done on Raw is as interesting as it is confusing. My guess is it was done to give Raw an edge?

So Charlotte can win it back at Summerslam and they can eventually call Charlotte a 14 time womens champion

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They basically wanted to blow the door off of this Raw.

UberTag

I'm sure the reaction tonight would have even been more favorable had they strapped the rocket to Sami Zayn after being involved in the three best non-women's matches in the WWE this year... but hey, we can't have everything.

Perhaps if Sami had something equivalent to face and body paint that he could dress up in for special matches and market to kids. Like say, oh I don't know... a mask, for instance.

Ithil

Now we're propping up Ambrose having the most worthless singles title in the company which was defended about twice as some kind of major rub.

The Shield was not that long ago. How short do you think people's memories are?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ready 2 Rumble has the same level of nonsensical kayfabe/shoot barriers that WWE has now.

Like sometimes it's a shoot but sometimes it's not? DDP is shooting on Jimmy King but Jimmy King is letting him do suplexes to him? A pin from an unemployed former wrestler backstage on the champion in a non-title match makes him the champion? or something?

How short do you think people's memories are?

In this day and age? Very short.
Ready 2 Rumble has the same level of nonsensical kayfabe/shoot barriers that WWE has now.

Like sometimes it's a shoot but sometimes it's not? DDP is shooting on Jimmy King but Jimmy King is letting him do suplexes to him? A pin from an unemployed former wrestler backstage on the champion in a non-title match makes him the champion? or something?

The pin didn't count backstage, they were very specific about that.

It's OK, I still love you

Remember when Eddie won it at NWO? Fuck Goldberg & Brock, Eddie beating Brock only to have that celebration at the end of the night with Benny would've been soooo much better.

Balor started wrestling in 2000.

Reigns started wrestling in 2010.

You tell me who hasn't earned anything compared to who.

Stop standing in the way of Kane's deserved title reign then. He started wrestling before both, has better entrances, and didn't test positive

Top Bottom