• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jump Super Stars DS - Son Goku vs. Naruto vs. Ruffy

M3wThr33

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Jesus christ, talk about killer app, japan's 3 biggest icons thats non-mech related under one roof. If this is developed by nintendo, that would be weird, Nintendo tackling one piece, naruto and DBZ all at once.
Do we know the developer yet?
Ex-Hal people? Nintendo? Bandai? Hudson/Konami/Takara?
Oh man! That reminds me, didn't Dream Mix TV World Fighters not catch on?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nintendo to codevelop Jump Super Stars
The all-star fighting game featuring Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece characters will be a collaborative effort between Nintendo and Shonen Jump.

TOKYO--Yesterday, GameSpot reported that Jump Super Stars, a game featuring a cast of popular characters from the manga weekly Shonen Jump, is in development for the Nintendo DS. This morning, we received further information on the game, including the tantalizing news that it will be codeveloped by Nintendo.

While it was already known that Naruto Uzumaki, the hero of the popular ninja manga and anime series, would be a playable character, we have learned that Goku from Dragon Ball Z and Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece will also star in the game.

Other details revealed this morning are that Jump Super Stars will be a fighting action game. While little further information is known, an article in this week's Shonen Jump reports that the gameplay will incorporate "manga-style" features into the design. Of course, the game will take advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware's dual screens and stylus input.

"We are currently in production with this revolutionary game that allows players to experience distinctive gameplay that's unique to the DS," Nintendo producer Shigeru Miyamoto told Shonen Jump. "Please look forward to this new type of entertainment that's being created though the collaboration between Nintendo and Jump."

More details on Jump Super Stars will be released in the October 20 issue of V-Jump, a video game magazine produced by Shonen Jump publishers Shueisha. GameSpot will continue to follow this story and post more details as soon as they become available.

Official story.

Matt

Society said:
What is the last game developed by Nintendo, but published by another company in Japan (not a localization)?
They are talking about the magazine, not the game.

Arcticfox

"Of course, the game will take advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware's dual screens and stylus input."

How would you use a stylus in a fighting action game? Just because the system has a touch screen doesn't mean they should always use it.

Of course if they thought up a fun way to use the touch screen (or it is only used for menus), more power to them.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Arcticfox said:
"Of course, the game will take advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware's dual screens and stylus input."

How would you use a stylus in a fighting action game? Just because the system has a touch screen doesn't mean they should always use it.

Of course if they thought up a fun way to use the touch screen (or it is only used for menus), more power to them.
It could work with 3 hands. :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
olimario said:
I thought that was 'henshin'
Henshin is a noun meaning "transformation."

My dictionary doesn't have a definition for henge, but it's used in Naruto to mean "transform" or something to that effect, and I would guess the "hen" part comes from the same kanji, but that's just me guessing.

Oh man! That reminds me, didn't Dream Mix TV World Fighters not catch on?
We're talking about a completely different level of brand recognition here.

And since it's at least partially, if not fully, developed by Nintendo, there's a pretty good chance it will turn out to be a better game too.

But yeah, I'll hold my judgement on whether to buy it for myself when I see the game. As I particularly dislike those animes. D:
I can very easily understand disliking Naruto and DBZ. But it is beyond me how anyone could not like One Piece. It's probably the most likeable show of any type, animated or no, I have ever seen. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Woohoo I had hoped the rumours were true.

One Piece = awesome, even for someone who hates over-the-top manga :p This game will simply kick arse.

AniHawk

MetatronM said:
And since it's at least partially, if not fully, developed by Nintendo, there's a pretty good chance it will turn out to be a better game too.

It also means there's a good chance it wont be ported.

SantaC

- The latest issue of Japan's Shounen Jump comic magazine has some big news that's sure to spell big things for the Nintendo DS. The magazine is home to first news of Jump Superstars, a game that promises to feature characters from Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece and other Jump properties. The game is being developed for the DS.

Little has been revealed about the title. The magazine promises a fighting game where you'll be able to pit various Jump characters against one-another. The twin screens and touch panel functionality of the DS will be used for the game.
Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto provided a few comments to the magazine to celebrate the birth of this new title. "We're currently developing a revolutionary piece of software for the DS, a system that allows for unique play experiences unlike anything before," said the master. "Please, look forward to the completely new form of entertainment that will result from this collaboration with Jump."

The magazine is promising a follow-up report in the December issue of V-Jump, which is due for release on 10/12. Stay tuned for more on what could be a huge killer-app for the DS in Japan.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/554/554124p1.html

john tv

vfcg.jpg

GG-Duo

DeadStar said:

Read the Arabasta arc and you'll be convinced. It's the most cinematic and engrossing thing I have read in manga form since Firefighter Daioh.

btw, they need to include Hunter x Hunter and Luckyman in this.

Dead

well not really...yet
GG-Duo said:
Read the Arabasta arc and you'll be convinced. It's the most cinematic and engrossing thing I have read in manga form since Firefighter Daioh.

btw, they need to include Hunter x Hunter and Luckyman in this.
Ive read the arabasta arc...and own it. Im just saying no way in hell does One Piece reach the popularity that Dragonball/Z had at its height....not just in Japan, but globally. ..which is what Sporks was saying I believe...

and yeah HunterXHunter needs to be in this too. HxH Auction arc >>>> one piece

Belfast

DeadStar said:
Ive read the arabasta arc...and own it. Im just saying no way in hell does One Piece reach the popularity that Dragonball/Z had at its height....not just in Japan, but globally. ..which is what Sporks was saying I believe...

Yeah, but One Piece is just now starting to reach global popularity. Its REALLY starting to take off in other countries now. It took DB/Z awhile after their respective creations to become popular worldwide, too.

Meier

DeadStar said:
Im just saying no way in hell does One Piece reach the popularity that Dragonball/Z had at its height....not just in Japan

Actually, this isnt necessarily true. One Piece is home to the record for the most copies of a in its first printing at over 2.52 million copies of a volume (24). I wont say unequivocally that OP is more popular than DBZ at its arc since I believe Jump had a larger circulation weekly during DBZ's history, but as far as sales of the individual series go -- it's damn close. OP has been the #1 manga for about 5 years running or so there. Hunter x Hunter is EXTREMELY popular though as well and for the most part overlooked as far as foreign audiences go when discussing titles from Jump (probably due to the fact the terrible art turns a lot of people off).

GG-Duo

Ahh, misunderstood you. I think in terms of popularity, Dragonball will forever be king - Toriyama just did a lot of things _right_ with that series. (assuming that you don't judge it by the anime)

btw, Hunter x Hunter was really popular until Greed Island. It seems that the author doesn't want to draw it anymore.

Dead

well not really...yet
GG-Duo said:
Ahh, misunderstood you. I think in terms of popularity, Dragonball will forever be king - Toriyama just did a lot of things _right_ with that series. (assuming that you don't judge it by the anime)

btw, Hunter x Hunter was really popular until Greed Island. It seems that the author doesn't want to draw it anymore.
Nah Togashis just a lazy/mediocre artist. Been like that since Yu Yu. Greed Island is allright kind of running out of steam, but itd be a lot more tolerable if the Auction Arc wasnt so damn excellent. This game needs Kurapika with Nen chains! (probably messed up the name lol havent read it in a while)

Toriyama certainly did things right, enough to make me follow DB all the way to Vol. 42 and love almost every panel of it. Of course my age at the time was certainly an important factor heh...

In conclusion: Meierowned ;P

Tenguman

so i guess this pretty much confirms that there will be no porting of this game from the NDS

Will this game be available at launch?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DeadStar said:

talking about japan.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
A cool idea for a multi-player brawler on dual screens is to actually take advantage of stage breakthroughs You could have two 2v2 battles occuring on two differnt plains then have on set crash down into the other fighters on the lower screen.

Though in actuality for a smash bros style game on small screen I think a better option is a zoomed in view on top with a zoomed out view on the bottom so you can see yourself in relation to the other players, items etc. zoomed out view could show power stats as well.

EDIT: mock up of idea #2. I know the "second screen for map!" is completely tired but this is a style of game that it would work great on since zoomed out view would be unplayable but the periphery information is essential to the match. They could add a touch screen auto dash thing, when you touch a map location like say for an item your character would go AI and run towards it until you gave abutton input, everyone breaks for items anyway ;)
SmashDS.jpg

You could have a game with characters from just those 3 series. I'd be impressed if a game had all DBZ, One Piece, and Naruto characters. Hopefully HAL is making this and gives it the full SMBM style treatment and include a lot or art galleries and stuff. I also want to see if Smash Bros can live up to the past games without Sakurai.

Indeed, I'm curious as to how they'll do it, and how many characters they could really put into this. The big surprise for me is if it'll be 2D or 3D. Either I'd be happy with as long as it's pretty stylized, but I'm hoping for some nice slick 2D to be honest. It just seems to come off well better generally for anime and manga themed games.

Top Bottom