• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Pavaloo

That SHIELD/Wyatt feud was hot as fuck. They should have saved it for Mania rather than the New Age Outlaw/Kane crap

FOR REAL

Hell it could've been a WM main event. You could just feel the fucking energy in the building when they had their first stare down 3 on 3. Good lord, chills. The arena would always erupt in the weeks following whenever all six of em were out - I really don't know why they cut it so short. Oh yeah so Wyatt could feud with Cena lol.

well hey maybe the reunion showdown would be even hotter

Hey Boots, how does your Top Ten Matches of the Year currently feel? What's the split?

I haven't worked out the ordering, need to rewatch some stuff, but there's less NJPW than there was at the halfway point last year. Of course, the G1's coming and Power Struggle & KoPW usually add some classics to contention, so I still expect it to be fairly New Japan heavy by the end of the year, but there's a couple of Dragon Gate matches in there.

Lots more British wrestling, though - I feel much more confident in saying that some of the matches I've seen live this year are up there with the best 2015 has had to offer so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That SHIELD/Wyatt feud was hot as fuck. They should have saved it for Mania rather than the New Age Outlaw/Kane crap

Place went fucking bananas on that staredown. Could have done so much with it...

I haven't worked out the ordering, need to rewatch some stuff, but there's less NJPW than there was at the halfway point last year. Of course, the G1's coming and Power Struggle & KoPW usually add some classics to contention, so I still expect it to be fairly New Japan heavy by the end of the year, but there's a couple of Dragon Gate matches in there.

Lots more British wrestling, though - I feel much more confident in saying that some of the matches I've seen live this year are up there with the best 2015 has had to offer so far.

Any contenders live? And if so, did you re-watch their filmed version and feel different about it? I find that being there live can add so much and change it completely.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
jqnQY2z.png

Any contenders live? And if so, did you re-watch their filmed version and feel different about it? I find that being there live can add so much and change it completely.

Yeah, that's always a danger - especially if the production of the recording doesn't properly capture the crowd's energy. PROGRESS don't usually have that problem and I'd definitely include Sabre Jr. vs Ciampa from the Strong Style 16 tournament. I'm thinking Marty Scurll vs Sabre Jr. might get a place as well, it was a total love letter to the World of Sport style and I enjoyed it so much live, so I'm hoping it holds up on the filmed version.

Re-watched Sydal/Ospreay III and thought it was just as great as I did live. There's no point doing a 2/3 falls match if you don't have any real structure, which was why this match was so enjoyable. They told a story in three parts, all three were great, Sydal put in some awesome character work and the finish was super satisfying. A star making performance from Ospreay, the kid's still learning but he's such a great face and super athletic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bourne/Sydal never going anywhere in WWE was criminal. Not that it was an issue with his moveset - he was a ton of fun to watch in WWE even limited as he was, and he even had the rub from Cena, a pretty significant one, it just...didn't happen. He's hard to write a storyline for, I suppose. I don't know where I'd go.

Bourne/Sydal never going anywhere in WWE was criminal. Not that it was an issue with his moveset - he was a ton of fun to watch in WWE even limited as he was, and he even had the rub from Cena, a pretty significant one, it just...didn't happen. He's hard to write a storyline for, I suppose. I don't know where I'd go.

They should've had him just reenact his role in Snakes on a Plane

I never saw him going above Kofi/Tyson Kidd levels. He did a few good high spots, could take a good bump, but if you've seen one of his matches there you've seen them all. I don't have any idea how his mic skills were, and he got injured multiple times.

Sephzilla

Bourne was never going to reach anything higher than Justin Gabriel tier

I think wrestlers of his build and style always slam into a midcard ceiling at best within WWE. Too small to be booked as a serious challenger and are ultimately used for high flying pops when required.
While of course you have a few similar cases that managed to buck this trend (and the ultimate outlier of Rey Mysterio) Bourne always stuck out to me as one of those who just didn't have enough character to break out of that mould they left him in.

Still he should've been a midcard singles champ even if the belts meant little particularly during his time in the company.
Shame he wasn't around for NXT, I like to think Tyson Kidd for instance gained a bit of a boost through his stint there.

edit: I like how all the comparable wrestlers I thought of just got mentioned above me anyway, though he managed to get much further than Gabriel tier.

His biggest flaw is that he lacks personality, it definitely must have been a challenge to write storylines from him, which I guess is why he never got that many storylines of his own. He's not the sort of guy you want to hear cut anything more than 30-second generic babyface promo, either, so it's not surprising his WWE run ended the way it did. That being said, he's obviously a very skilled athletic wrestler and can wow an audience, but he's definitely learnt something from his time in WWE. If he keeps on having a quietly great year, I predict big things for Sydal in 2016.

I'm guessing he's Ricochet's mystery partner in Dragon Gate next month, should be real fun seeing them two & CIMA as a trio.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They should've had him just reenact his role in Snakes on a Plane

Say what?

Bourne was never going to reach anything higher than Justin Gabriel tier

I think wrestlers of his build and style always slam into a midcard ceiling at best within WWE. Too small to be booked as a serious challenger and are ultimately used for high flying pops when required.
While of course you have a few similar cases that managed to buck this trend (and the ultimate outlier of Rey Mysterio) Bourne always stuck out to me as one of those who just didn't have enough character to break out of that mould they left him in.

Still he should've been a midcard singles champ even if the belts meant little particularly during his time in the company.
Shame he wasn't around for NXT, I like to think Tyson Kidd for instance gained a bit of a boost through his stint there.

edit: I like how all the comparable wrestlers I thought of just got mentioned above me anyway, though he managed to get much further than Gabriel tier.

His biggest flaw is that he lacks personality, it definitely must have been a challenge to write storylines from him, which I guess is why he never got that many storylines of his own. He's not the sort of guy you want to hear cut anything more than 30-second generic babyface promo, either, so it's not surprising his WWE run ended the way it did. That being said, he's obviously a very skilled athletic wrestler and can wow an audience, but he's definitely learnt something from his time in WWE. If he keeps on having a quietly great year, I predict big things for Sydal in 2016.

I'm guessing he's Ricochet's mystery partner in Dragon Gate next month, should be real fun seeing them two & CIMA as a trio.

I can't think of a single Bourne storyline at all besides being Cena's partner. I guess that says a lot - did he ever have a feud with anyone, a legit feud? I can't think of any.

Goddamn he could be fun in LU...Anyone who's anyone can be fun in LU though, let's be fair. I'd love to see him against Pentagon Jr or Mil Muertes.

I think Bourne had a brief feud with Jericho at one point, you know an upset victory against the veteran that always puts people over but in the end it amounts to going nowhere fast.
So yeah.

Dean Ambrose is Mick Foley.
So prepare for a few title runs.

#ThanksMick
2015 edition.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd put this as a strong candidate for MOTY. You guys posted it quite a bit when it came out = http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mhxks_shuji-ishikawa-c-vs-daisuke-sekimoto-bjw_sport

I really, REALLY liked that match. Sekimoto rarely puts on MOTY-calibre matches, which is a shame - I REALLY love that dude and his look, but I can't lie about his in-ring talent. He's good but rarely incredible. This was definitely an exception and I hope to see more matches like this with him, because he was pretty much perfect.

I can't think of a single Bourne storyline at all besides being Cena's partner. I guess that says a lot - did he ever have a feud with anyone, a legit feud? I can't think of any.

Goddamn he could be fun in LU...Anyone who's anyone can be fun in LU though, let's be fair. I'd love to see him against Pentagon Jr or Mil Muertes.

On the other hand, Paul London, Bourne's antecedent, is a complete fucking weirdo, and they couldn't write any storylines for him either. So, it's not all just Bourne's perceived blandness.

Fox318

Raw. Tough Enough. Total Divas. Smackdown.

WWE pumping out a lot of basic cable television programming these days.

The product isn't hot. People are tired of a 3 hour raw.

THEN LETS ADD MORE PROGRAMMING AND SPECIALS DAMN IT. I HOPE YOU LIKE SWERVED

JavyOO7

Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt... two of my favorite dudes in WWE. Neither will hold the belt anytime soon. Both will be cast aside for Rollins/Reigns/Bork. And nothing wrong with those three, but I particular like Ambrose/Wyatt because they have great voices on the mic. They would be great candidates to hold the US/IC titles for a long period of time and making it meaningful if creative would have patience...

bigspud

Neo Member
A star making performance from Ospreay, the kid's still learning but he's such a great face and super athletic.
I saw Ospreay for the first time over the weekend at RCWA. Really impressed with his charisma and would love to see more. What's available of his I should catch up with?

I saw Ospreay for the first time over the weekend at RCWA. Really impressed with his charisma and would love to see more. What's available of his I should catch up with?

Demand-Progress/Rev Pro On Demand if you want to pay. If you don't, PROGRESS Chapter 13 and Rev Pro TV on YouTube

Definitely check out his work in PROGRESS, he's had some amazing matches since the promotion got behind him. Specifically;

. Chapter 19: Super Strong Style 16 - all of Will's matches on this two-day tournament were great
. Chapter 17 - Jimmy Havoc (c) vs Will Ospreay
. Chapter 16 - Will Ospreay vs Paul Robinson

PROGRESS have an on demand site with all of the shows available; http://demandprogress.pivotshare.com

Also, he's had some excellent matches in RevPro, not least his trilogy with Sydal;

. Summer Sizzler 2015 - Will Ospreay (c) vs Matt Sydal - 2/3 Falls
. RevPro TV - Will Ospreay vs Matt Sydal; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2jLaiMiF9w
. RevPro TV - Rocky Romero vs Will Ospreay; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqNnUIl3SKg
. High Stakes 2015 - Will Ospreay vs AJ Styles
. Uprising 2014 - Will Ospreay vs Matt Sydal

All the shows are available for VOD & download at; http://rpwondemand.com

Top Bottom