• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

Sephzilla

Foley's best work is as the original Mankind character, but he's still instrumental in getting alot of the Attitude Era going.

Austin/McMahon? Foley kept that going

The rise of The Rock? Shit everyone talks about Taker but where would The Rock have gone without the Foley feud

HHH? Pretty much the best part of the whole Mcmahon/Helmsley thing was Foley

Yep, tons of hugely important shit in the Attitude Era went through Mick Foley.

Hasney

The other thing about the Attitude Era is that they were not afraid to change things that weren't working and usually quickly. Now we just the cheese burnt instead of just warm.

The Hardcore Title was my favorite thing from the Attitude Era. It was so fun and goofy how it was defended 24/7. Plus my boy Raven practically owned the thing.

Bonus:

ezgif-1-7755337bec.gif

The fuck is going on here in this gif?

Edit: Also, The Attitude Era ranges from 1991 to John Cena based on who you ask

Sephzilla

Anyone who says the Attitude Era began in 1991 is wrong. For what it's worth, in my opinion the Attitude Era officially starts the moment Austin becomes Stone Cold

Anyone who says the Attitude Era began in 1991 is wrong. For what it's worth, in my opinion the Attitude Era officially starts the moment Austin becomes Stone Cold

Well, WWE officially says the Montreal Screwjob is the start.

The start kind of varies, but most people pretty much agree that X-7 is the end right?

Kaladin

Friends, I'm going to be gone for a long weekend starting tomorrow and going through my 36th birthday on Tuesday. I'm going to Atlanta for the weekend, hitting up a few good restaurants and going to a concert. I'm doing the Nori Nori Japanese buffet, Tea Leaves and Thyme afternoon tea and Old Vinings Inn for some good southern cooking. Thursday night I'm going to see Texas country music singer Aaron Watson so I'm looking forward to that.

Gonna give 35 a good last run.

Menome

Even before I quit the Network, I'd quit my Attitude Era watch-through. Whilst it was kind of fun seeing things from Survivor Series '98 onwards up until Over The Edge '99, it was already losing its shine by that point, especially without any nostalgia in play.

Plus the impending prospect and occurrence of Owen's death helped take the fun out of things.

I might go back one day, but for now I'm content just staying up to date with the current product.

Anth0ny

To me, Attitude Era started at Mania 13.

of course you had glimpses of it in 96, but Mania solidified Austin as the guy. there was 0 doubt after that night.

you followed it with Austin being a god, Bret starting the GOAT storyline with the Hart Foundation vs. USA, Shawn shooting on Bret via promo, leading to the ultimate shoot later that year, VADUH slapping a mother fucker for calling the sport of kings fake, Undertaker dropping the mythical shit a little, Vince becoming an on screen character... list goes on.

97 after Mania was complete Attitude.

Ended at X-7, of course.

Attitude Era had tons of fun characters who fans cared about. Everyone got a reaction no matter what. D'lo and his bad ass chest protector, Steve Blackman and his batons, Val Venis and his gyrating.

I think what it all comes down to is that the Attitude Era was really, really good at making you believe in it.

The modern era doesn't. In comparison, most of the modern era just seems to happen "just because" and there's nothing to get invested in.

Kaladin

Yeah, the Attitude Era was great at characters and terrible at wrestling. Weeks of Raw would go by without a decent match, but you still watched because you wanted to see what they would do next.

Now it's like we've reversed. We've got good wrestling if they book it right (and they do more often than they did in the attitude era), but the characters are shallow and not as well defined or even memorable.

I think what it all comes down to is that the Attitude Era was really, really good at making you believe in it.

The modern era doesn't. In comparison, most of the modern era just seems to happen "just because" and there's nothing to get invested in.

WWE seems to be doing more long term (well long term to them) storylines now with who attack enzo/who attacked cass, having Goldust and R-Truth cut promos each week, Kurt Angle/Corey Graves.

Sephzilla

Attitude Era for me started when Stone Cold showed up, or at least when he gave the Austin 3:16 promo. The Attitude Era ended with WrestleMania X7, and unfortunately the Attitude Era has a shitty ending because Vince wins in the end.

When wrestling is dead in 5 years we can still reminisce about the attitude era.

Puppies! Woohoo

According to wrestling fans. Wrestling has never been more popular and more mainstream!

WWE seems to be doing more long term (well long term to them) storylines now with who attack enzo/who attacked cass, having Goldust and R-Truth cut promos each week, Kurt Angle/Corey Graves.

Tozawa vs Kendrick: Lessons of Wrestling

:)

Attitude Era for me started when Stone Cold showed up, or at least when he gave the Austin 3:16 promo. The Attitude Era ended with WrestleMania X7, and unfortunately the Attitude Era has a shitty ending because it ends with Vince winning.

Taken like that, it is kind of a depressing story.

After three years of Austin witnessing first hand how greed can corrupt an individual and how Vince McMahon can drag down the lives of so many, an exhausted Steve Austin succumbs to his demons and joins with him to become the champion.

Austin's heel run may have been ill-advised, but that actual turn, at that moment, was great.

Anth0ny

This interview is almost like someone heard Meltzer and decided to build a storyline around it:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/872528756996427776

Unfortunately for Hideo, wrestling is fake. If Vince wants to send his ass back to Japan, he will!

Taken like that, it is kind of a depressing story.

After three years of Austin witnessing first hand how greed can corrupt an individual and how Vince McMahon can drag down the lives of so many, an exhausted Steve Austin succumbs to his demons and joins with him to become the champion.

Austin's heel run may have been ill-advised, but that actual turn[/], at that moment, was great.

That's kinda why I like it lol

The moral of the story is...

76lq52v.gif

Sephzilla

I'll never think Austin's heel turn was ever a good idea. For me it was the first sign that Vince was going back to shitty booking now that WCW was out of the way

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This Freedom's Road taping is pretty tasty

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBvpVpRXUAEEKUP.jpg:small[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBlT3bFVYAQrnzp.jpg:small[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBvaehTUAAA8hDO.jpg:small[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBvLlOiUwAALtcj.jpg:small[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqenX_XkAI2vCW.jpg:small[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBlauNxUQAAsFw4.jpg:small[/IMG]

Dijak in PROGRESS makes me happy, he's such a try hard I love him. Bought my ticket when they announced Isla Dawn before though, she really impressed me at the first London EVE show, and haven't had chance to see her since.

lmao @ "Jack Sexsmith"

The girl's cute too.....oh Aleister Black's girlfriend. There goes my non-existent chance.

somedevil

I'll never think Austin's heel turn was ever a good idea. For me it was the first sign that Vince was going back to shitty booking now that WCW was out of the way

Well that idea to turn heel was austin's. He thought he was getting stale as a babyface. The problem with turning him was they didn't have a babyface at his level to replace him.

I think the heel turn could've paid off it was a short redemption story instead of a forced 180 on Stone Cold's character. Maybe you still play him as an anti-hero for awhile, trying to convince people that he didn't give a damn and was trying to be champion. Then after awhile he gets reminded that Mcmahon is a piece of shit and it isn't worth kissing his ass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well that idea to turn heel was austin's. He thought he was getting stale as a babyface. The problem with turning him was they didn't have a babyface at his level to replace him.

I can't think of anyone that ever existed that would have been capable of that

Anth0ny

I'm thankful for the Austin heel turn for the Paranoid Austin promos we got with it.

VINCE IT'S STEVE

IT'S STEVE AUSTIN

VINCE IT'S STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION CHAMPION

Top Bottom