• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Aiii

So not worth it
Did they give any reason for why they haven't done releases in so long and why they decided to kill 3MB?

Funky Dinosaur sounds like what someone trying to make fun of TNA names would come up with.

They stopped releasing people because they figured they had a lot of money to spare and would rather just let contracts expire for talent they stopped pushing.

They released people now because they've actually started taking losses right now and they need stock holders to see they're doing things to improve their bottom line.

-edit: NEW PAIGE!
tumblr_n4vhiee5uP1qgko6zo1_1280.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bet all those Vita owners are happy they bought their high tech handheld so they can play 1001 Spikes and other graphical indie powerhouses on the move.

Aiii

So not worth it
I bet all those Vita owners are happy they bought their high tech handheld so they can play 1001 Spikes and other graphical indie powerhouses on the move.

I've been playing Danganronpa since I hadn't finished it yet and the second game comes out in September and IT IS AMAZING!

Vita has a bunch of great titles worth playing.

Have also been playing UFC on it through Remote Play while watching the World Cup, but that's hardly been ideal since it relies too much on the L2 and R2 buttons for control.

Mengetsu

Brodus Clay talks his gimmick

The Funkasaurus character:

"Initially, I had spent the last 7-8 months to the better part of a year training with the idea that I was going to be 'the juggernaut,' destroy all that stuff and those vignettes were a lot of hard work. Then seeing me in the back, cracking jokes and just being myself or whatever, the boss [Vince] said, 'are you sure this is the right way we want to go,' and said, 'so what if we do this instead?' I was kind of surprised and kind of nervous and didn't even know if I could pull that off as the dancing stuff really isn't who I am at all, but cracking jokes with a smile, I do that all day and joke around with the boys all the time. I'm always running my mouth and stuff, talking trash, things like that, but I never really thought of myself as a dancer.

"First thing I done was ask to go see 'The American Dream' and figure things out and so I went down to him and I just happened to bump into Naomi and I said to her, I need your help, because I knew her background with Orlando Magic and then we pitched the idea to have the 2 girls and we picked Cameron as a second and we came up with something and played with it. The cool thing about it was that nobody knew about it, everybody was expecting this one thing and with these days of the internet, no one knew. Visit Wrestling Inc.A lot of people were rolling their eyes saying that it's not going to work, but I was given a challenge and I thought I done pretty well with the challenge put in front of me, it was completely out of the box than what I had originally prepared myself for, but it worked out okay and now that I look back at it, I'm proud of it. I can always be ruthless and aggressive in the ring, but I don't think I'll ever have the opportunity to be 'The Funkasaurus' again. I'm thankful for that time, because for me, it was a chance to be a character and have fun and honestly, the reactions that I got from the kids just made me want to do more and more of it, because I enjoyed seeing the smiles and the dances and the videos they would send me on Twitter, that was really cool."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0618/577160/brodus-clay-talks-why-wwe-changed-his-gimmick/#ojQJvQSup36s7ceA.99

Sblargh

Banned
I see I started a webm revolution (even if crayjay actually did the work, it's ok, I'm more of an ideas man).

Also, this talk of creepy joshi get me thinking if I don't like Shimmer for creepy reasons and I'm glad to announce it's not the case. I think I like Shimmer for the same reasons I like NXT:

Silly cartoony gimmicks with cartoony faces and heels that doesn't stop the actual matches from being great, well done matches.

Shimmer and NXT both show that you can have top quality matches while having a fun and friendly atmosphere at the same time.

PInk Tape

Banned
I can't believe how much Sony charges for a decent sized memory card. It's the only reason I don't have a Vita.

I see I started a webm revolution (even if crayjay actually did the work, it's ok, I'm more of an ideas man).

I'm surprised that it worked (even with the cuts around here) and how it wasn't as complicated as I thought it was going to be. Yeezus gave me the idea to make more CZW related ones and I might do it since it is CZW month after all.

I'm going to put this to a vote, wrasslegaf. You all know how I feel about it, but I want to know from everyone else.

Are shoot promos in todays informed, everyone knows its scripted, everyone knows the wrestlers real names, incredibly corny? Because that's all I can think when I rewatch Punk's promo with Rock. Everyone gave Rock shit about his cheeseball insults when he returned, but Punk's DWAYNE and boxing with God is making me cringe really hard. Not only is he breaking the fourth wall exclusively to get himself over, but it's for no purpose other than a cheap pop.

Think he's got bigger problems than tobacco if that would be the 'greatest moment in his life thus far'
I think DWAYNE is fine, because he's used Dwayne professionally (hell, he even showed up on Raw as "DJ") and he was using that to poke him.

I liked "Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque" a lot less.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't know if I would feel differently if I was watching it live, but since I've seen it all after the fact, Punk's shoot promos (as well as Cena's promos "I'm here for you and he's not" about the Rock) to be incredibly mean spirited and just the opposite of fun.

"This TV show you are watching is not fun!" *crowd cheers* "You are watching a TV show that sucks!" *cheers* "the person in charge of this TV show is an idiot!" and so on.

The only reason you do this kind of thing is when you have a complete revamp of the product ready to go. Because if you are going to say this is a horrible product and just keep it more or less the same, then you're kind of just admitting you have a horrible product while doing nothing about it.

The Bryan angle at least had as a point to have Bryan win the title big at Wrestlemania 30. But given that nothing changed after that, it just feels dumb looking back.

Hero: "you don't listen to these people"
*hero wins*
*management still don't listen to people*

It's so weird how WWE keeps fighting against its core fans and it gets weirder when they turn that into a storyline where, despiste what te storyline says, the fans lose in the end. They can feel the discontent enough to write shoot promos about it, but not enough to actually change the product into something people want.

Mengetsu

Some more news on WWE 2K15 and Sting as Pre-order bonus?!

"WWE 2K15" will be bigger, badder and bolder. 2K Sports, who already made WWE 2K14, is now setting their eyes on a more polished WWE game that will be released October 2014.

According to Polygon, 2K Sports "is promising a much more polished gem." A year ago, Visual Concepts still didn't know much about how to work with the WWE game, but they still came out with an all-new "WWE 2K14."

WWE 2K15 executive producer Mark Little told Polygon "Obviously we were all very happy to be able to get the license, be a part of the WWE universe, bring on a new team, and still get a game done in the midst of what was an absolute disaster. So the fact we were able to get WWE 2K14 done is a testament to everybody who was involved in that project."

On the other hand, Little also believes that the game lacks polish in its gameplay, visuals and commentary—which is where Visual Concept will focus on in this new WWE game installment. Further, Little promises the team will make "WWE 2K15" as great as the NBA 2K series.

With this said, fans of the game will except a major overhaul within the game... a quite a few additional surprises too. According to Game Informer, the confirmed superstars in the game are John Cena, Cesaro, Hulk Hogan, Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Naomi, AJ Lee, Daniel Ryan and Cameron. Characters will be more life-like.

"WWE 2K15" will have "at least five times the animations of any previous WWE title." One of the areas to be improved is the motion capture. Additionally, to make sure that motion captures are exact to the tee, an official ring setter-upper is sent by the WWE.

Visual Concepts will be doing most of the work on "WWE 2k15." They will add new goals so the game have a lesser free-for-all tone. Also, they have scanned 90% of the WWE roster already. Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole have already recorded 35 hours of commentary with Visual.

Meanwhile, WhatCulture reports that Sting is confirmed as the new pre-order bonus for "WWE 2K15" following The Ultimate Warrior, Mike Tyson and Brock Lesnar in the previous titles.

Sblargh

Banned
See, this is where you admit the product sucks, when you are already halfway to delivering a better one. If you say "I believe that the game lacks polish in its gameplay, visuals and commentary" and keep it the same, then what's the point?

Edit: I'm happy to see Daniel Ryan will be in the game. I love that guy.

Mengetsu

See, this is where you admit the product sucks, when you are already halfway to delivering a better one. If you say "I believe that the game lacks polish in its gameplay, visuals and commentary" and keep it the same, then what's the point?

Edit: I'm happy to see Daniel Ryan will be in the game. I love that guy.

I couldn't resist editing it because it's just funny.

Hasney

Cautiously optimistic.

I feel like that's the first step on the cycle.

Yup, just like the Sonic and Fable cycles.

That said, unless Yukes had layoffs that we've not heard about, I have to believe that after WWE '12, the UFC team had to have something to do. Maybe they were making the next gen engine?

If they're coming out and saying the gameplay if the last game sucked, they must have something up their sleeve, surely. THQ never even said as much as it being "unpolished".

Eh, shouldn't be long until we see footage anyway. I think AT BEST, we should expect a good stepping stone to 2k16/17 being great though.

Alucard

Banned
I guess PG isn't the problem with the WWE, but when things aren't going so well, it's the easiest target. It's just frustrating to see the talent pool not being optimized. Maybe it is just a matter of there being too many people on the roster, which makes it difficult for creative to make everything meaningful.

That said, Raw was quite good this week. There are several things to get excited about, but it's all around the same guys.

-Bray and The Wyatts
-Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns

...Uhh, Bad News Barrett?

Sblargh

Banned
Problem with WWE isn't PG, gimmicks, cartoons, lack of roster, etc.;
It is a show that is badly written and a wrestling show that is badly booked.

Let's say the Santino or Fandango segments were laugh out loud funny. People would look forward to it, it's a 3 hour show, there's nothing wrong with a 20 minute comedy skit *as long as it is funny* which is often not.

Cena is a super hero who always win for the children. The problem is never that Cena wins, but it is how the rest of the roster is sacrificed for this to happen. You structure your roster in a way that this one guy always wins and can't book him in a way that his enemies look menancing instead of idiots.

I could go on. The thing is this: if the funny was funny, if the super hero was heroic instead of a bully who makes everyone (especially himself) look like a fool, if the good technical wrestlers were given time and reason to do good technical wrestling and on and on, all the rest would fall in place, regardless of the rest. I like that it is PG, I think the mainstream wrestling show should really be a family show (so, if you want more violence, go to CZW, if you want less cartoon characters, go to RoH, and so on). But the writing sucks, the booking sucks, the commentary sucks and the matches seem designed to be anticlimatic, with we seeing the wrestlers do much better in-ring work on NXT, Main Event and the previous indie promotion they worked on.

It's that general feeling that the problem lies in people being bad at their jobs.

It's my Spelunky machine, and I can play games like MLB The Show 14 when I don't have a PS3 or PS4 and don't have access to my TV. I like my Vita just fine.

Kaladin

Some more news on WWE 2K15 and Sting as Pre-order bonus?!

While Yukes always gave the "it's much better than last year's game" interview, I look forward to what Visual Concepts can do with this game. I think WWE 2k14 used the Yukes team and engine to finish the game they had already started and maybe this is more Visual Concepts....so it's not Yukes, and that is something.

Still....cautiously optimistic.....and I'll have to get it on PS3 at first, no way I'll have a PS4 for a while.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

My Vita's a piece of junk really. Just a few games left to play then I'm selling. There's no future for this thing.

Isn't Jim Johnston in/affiliated with CFO$? I think I remember reading that when all the new NXT themes were coming out.

I dunno. CFO$ did the almighty Ascension theme so...

strobogo

Banned
I started playing SMT Nocturne last night and i named my character Axl Rose.How do you feel about that strobogo?

I don't know what SMT Nocturne is, so I have no thoughts on it.

WWE will never go TV-14 again as long as Vince is alive. TV-14 is not what he likes. He never would have done the Attitude Era if WCW wasn't beating the shit out of them and being for real on the brink of shutting down. He believes wrestling should be a PG, family kind of show. I don't think there will ever be a a shift as big as New Generation to Attitude Era again. Even after Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

kiguel182

I'm going to put this to a vote, wrasslegaf. You all know how I feel about it, but I want to know from everyone else.

Are shoot promos in todays informed, everyone knows its scripted, everyone knows the wrestlers real names, incredibly corny? Because that's all I can think when I rewatch Punk's promo with Rock. Everyone gave Rock shit about his cheeseball insults when he returned, but Punk's DWAYNE and boxing with God is making me cringe really hard. Not only is he breaking the fourth wall exclusively to get himself over, but it's for no purpose other than a cheap pop.

Think he's got bigger problems than tobacco if that would be the 'greatest moment in his life thus far'

How was that a shoot promo? The Rock was playing himself and Punk only talked about him being away for awhile. He didn't shoot on him.

That promo was some of Punk's best mic work while The Rock just cracked corny and lame jokes. There's no problem there on Punk's part.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I forgot when the Diamond Exchange was actually called the Diamond Exchange:
I2C4Re7.jpg

Also enjoy this Brody manga:
EfeGBeO.jpg

ytQ8Xkv.jpg

Titus O'Neil's theme is a real good "recent" theme. I think CFO$ is responsible for that one, too.

Still salty that they removed the strings in Big E's theme...

Saw this in the Observer write-up about Tatsu;

"He was destined to be a pushed star in New Japan, but he left the promotion and took a 67 percent pay cut and ignored a lot of advice to try out for WWE, where the feeling was they had never pushed a Japanese star well.

He's apparently had offers from All Japan and W-1, but wants to stay in the US.

Also, here's the line-up for next month's NOAH Jr's tag tournament;

. Yoshinari Ogawa & Zack Sabre Jr. (current champions)
. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask (NJPW)
. Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Kotoge
. Kenou & Hajime Ohara
. Daisuke Harada & Quiet Storm
. Matt Striker & Super Crazy
. Rocky Lobo & Jinzo (DTU)
. Mitsuhiro Kitamiya & Hitoshi Kumano
. Shoiri Asahi & Hiro Tonai (K-DOJO)
. Kikutaro & Genba Hirayanagi

Matt Striker? Ok. Kikutaro & Genba should be a fun team, can't wait to see them wrestle Liger & Tiger Mask, I love any match where Liger gets to do comedy shit.

Lastly, some notes about the G1 final

Expect the 8/10 Seibu Dome show, with the G-1 finals, to be a super loaded show. Normally it’s just G-1 matches on the finals, right now the plan for this year is to have both G-1 matches as well as title matches in the junior heavyweight or tag team division to make it as close to a Tokyo Dome card as possible. Also expect some ROH talent to debut. Tickets went on sale recently and while we don’t have numbers, there were apparently a lot of casual fan ticket sales with the idea of seeing the first time pro wrestling ever runs at the Seibu Dome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds great, looks great. Really interested in G1 this year, knowing it won't live up to last year's but I'm ready for it to surprise me!

I'm...not so interested in the NOAH Jrs Tournament though.

Re: Tatsu...sometimes people make mistakes :(

Hasney

Still....cautiously optimistic.....and I'll have to get it on PS3 at first, no way I'll have a PS4 for a while.

The way 2k are talking, it sounds like the 360/ps3 one will use the old engine and then the PS4/XB1 one might use a new engine like they did with NBA. Hopefully so since I think whatever happens, the old consoles will be using the old engine... I'd rather that shit be relegated to history now.

Oh man, thank's for posting that Kobashi theme, Flammable - one of the recommended videos was Salman Hashimikov's theme! I've never found a clean version before;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgCmluGmKeA

Also, Tatsumi Fujinami (like many Japanese wrestlers in the 80s) apparently had an ill-advised music career;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGT3EdTuBco

Amazing(ly awful).

I'm...not so interested in the NOAH Jrs Tournament though.

There isn't a lot of name value, I'll grant you, but NOAH's done a good job with their Jr's division - there's a LOT of variety, compared to the New Japan Jr's who all kinda wrestle the same style.

JavyOO7

Out of Kawada/Akiyama/Taue/Misawa/Kobashi... I think Kobashi's themes still reign supreme. But hearing Misawa's theme, especially the awesome remix in NOAH... it makes a good argument that its the #1 theme between those men. But Koashi with Grand Old Sword or Blazin' just beats it out... so good.

EDIT: To add to this, I always forget how great Jumbo's theme is too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW1WeLenxeo

Top Bottom