• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

I think he's right. As people like JesseEwiak, strobogo, Cagey, and Data West routinely show, the opinions of wrestling fans are so ignorant and uninformed that they simply don't matter.
william-regal-dancing-o.gif

I'm looking forward to Cena vs AJ. I hope we have a non finish to be honest as I want the feud to keep going before AJ takes the loss.
I won't be shocked if the "contract" said no interferences from Gallows and Anderson, and the match is when they choose to get Finn Balor to make his entrance. Depends on if they're going to keep pushing face with him or not, because obviously you can't fight help Styles beat Cena without Michael Cole calling you the worst human being - sorry, demon - who ever lived.

Unless, of course, you do it the other way around. Balor appears. Seems like he'll help Styles. Doesn't. Triple threat next PPV.

#fanfiction

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
didn't you constantly shit on Okada for having main event matches instead of your fave?

I've wanted my guy to be the main face of the company but I've never watched Okada vs Tanahashi and gone 'man that should be my guy in there!' I just don't watch it.

It's a foreign concept to WWE fans apparently but if I don't like the direction of the product, I don't watch it until it interests me again

I would love it if EC3 came to NXT and started feuding for the belt, but he'd need to change his name.

Also while some love him as a baby face, I much prefer him as a heel.

dream

I think the one thing EC3 needs to do is take a bare-back barbed wire bump and come up bleeding a gusher. RKO didn't really shed his pretty boy handicap until his bare-back thumbtacks spot against Cactus. I think EC3 is in the same situation of needing to prove his toughness before he can make the leap to the next level.

There are a few points that need to be made besides the obvious one about Raw delivering what the audience is looking for. The worst thing about these ratings are the intangibles. Raw is in. Nitro is out. Wrestling fans have grown to hate Nitro and WCW for all the reasons written about here every week and WCW is doing everything every week to only make the problems worse. Nothing short of a total overhaul is the answer.

There were problems a few months back that led to some of this, but the free-fall the company is taking is largely based on some of the worst booking ever over the past three months. One can make excuses that are valid, that it's going to take months of rebuilding before this can be turned around. But what has been happened of late, with the exception of one excellent show a few weeks back, is not rebuilding at all but simply digging the hole deeper by emphasizing all the things that have made the gap this wide. WCW had nothing as far as ratings were concerned going for it except Goldberg and Flair for the past two months, and now, due to Goldberg becoming just another guy after not being protected as he needed to be, and Flair being a heel and while remaining the most entertaining person in the company, he's playing a role the audience doesn't want him to play, now both are almost as dead as everyone else as ratings draws.

Bringing back Piper and Savage in prominent roles was exactly what a company painted with an image as being out-of-date and ancient didn't need. The argument that Kidman and Benoit and the likes would get killed in the ratings if made the main focal point of the show and put high on house show cards is true for right now. But at this point, at least they are young and can be built, and who were the Rock, the Road Dogg, Val Venis, Shane McMahon and the Brood one year ago? WCW is going to get killed for a long time no matter what it delivers. The Monday night war and wrestling war as far as being competitive has been over for weeks and it's garbage time in the fourth quarter of a game where the team behind has mentally quit and the score gap continues to grow.

It's time to rebuild, but instead, WCW builds around 40-year-olds. A title reign for Page. A title reign for Nash. Savage looking for the fountain of youth. Retreading Piper. Flair reverting back to the 80s. Hogan coming back as a top face. Sting and Luger in the spotlight continuing to fail when put in a high position. Like Scott Hall is going to make the slightest bit of difference. The money, thought and television time spent on people like Hall, Savage and Piper should have been spent on Jericho, who instead looks to be leaving and at this point he'd be a complete fool not to. And a bunch of younger guys who have been totally devalued in booking as being secondary stars who also can't draw ratings. An entirely new set of stars and a new concept of television is needed. A new set didn't mean crap. Ricky Rachmann, DJ Ran, and putting the announcers to ringside were as effective in the healing process as putting make-up on a cancer wound. There are no answers that are going to lead to winning any time soon. The only answer at this point is to rebuild, like a sports team. Expect a horrible record in 1999. Expect to get killed in the ratings every week. But build around younger talent and get them over as the main players. The older guys need to be used at this point for only one thing, putting over the younger guys. Anything else is basically fooling oneself. A football team that has its entire starting line-up past its prime and is in the middle of a 3-13 season doesn't trade its draft choices in order to sign more people five years past their prime.

WCW in 1999 or modern day WWE??

And this same poster basically shits on Dana Brooke for DARING to have the match instead of their fave.

It's like the people who complain about womens wrestling not being taken seriously but they only care about a 'womens revolution' if it's the women THEY want. how dare nikki bella be champion. she's a model, she doesn't count! dana brooke? she's blonde and not our darling, how dare she get the match over the injury prone sasha banks. let's make sure to chant for our favorite to shit on someone else's angle because it's not what we want

So.....the same they're doing with the main event card?

2003 - 2009 Noah was so good they had just the right mix of older veterans and young up and comers.

Really miss Takeshi Morishima his run as GHC Champion was so good.

They were also smart in putting over the young talent even in losses to the old guard.

Ithil

I think he's right. As people like JesseEwiak, strobogo, Cagey, and Data West routinely show, the opinions of wrestling fans are so ignorant and uninformed that they simply don't matter.

Two of those people literally do nothing but try to impose their opinion on everyone else, another doesn't even own opinions of their own.

Jay White needs a new photo for ROH ASAP. He looks so emo in that picture.

I started my Dean Malenko viewing project today with Joe and Dean Malenko vs. Ricky Steamboat and Nikita Koloff from Clash of the Champions XIX. Dean Malenko in 1992 is surprisingly agile and fast, and Joe Malenko and Steamboat have a beautiful sequence starting with their intense knucklelock test of strength fairly early in the match. At about 13 minutes long, it's a nice appetizer to Dean Malenko's work and well worth a watch.

SHINE's upcoming show actually has some juice to it:

SHINE 35, Friday, June 17th, 2016, 9pm Eastern from Ybor City, Florida and on iPPV.

SHINE Championship vs. SHIMMER Championship vs. TNA Knockouts Championship Match - Whomever is pinned or submitted will lose their championship
SHINE Champion Taylor Made w/ April Hunter vs. SHIMMER Champion Madison Eagles vs. TNA Knockouts Champion Allysin Kay

SHINE Tag Team Championship Match
B.T.Y. of Marti Belle & Jayme Jameson w/ April Hunter defend vs. Evie & Shazza McKenzie

Money In The Bank
Kellie Skater vs. Mia Yim vs. Santana vs. Nicole Matthews

Su Yung w/ April Hunter vs. Kay Lee Ray

Tessa Blanchard w/ April Hunter vs. Rachel Ellering

Kellyanne vs. Chelsea Green (from Tough Enough and Daniel Bryan's infidelity storyline)

Maria Maria & Luscious Latasha vs. Rhia O'Reilly & Viper

A winner take all match for those three championships is actually pretty cool, and I wonder if they'll actually have a ladder match for their MITB match or if they'll have a four-way.

SHINE's upcoming show actually has some juice to it:

SHINE 35, Friday, June 17th, 2016, 9pm Eastern from Ybor City, Florida and on iPPV.

SHINE Championship vs. SHIMMER Championship vs. TNA Knockouts Championship Match - Whomever is pinned or submitted will lose their championship
SHINE Champion Taylor Made w/ April Hunter vs. SHIMMER Champion Madison Eagles vs. TNA Knockouts Champion Allysin Kay

SHINE Tag Team Championship Match
B.T.Y. of Marti Belle & Jayme Jameson w/ April Hunter defend vs. Evie & Shazza McKenzie

Money In The Bank
Kellie Skater vs. Mia Yim vs. Santana vs. Nicole Matthews

Su Yung w/ April Hunter vs. Kay Lee Ray

Tessa Blanchard w/ April Hunter vs. Rachel Ellering

Kellyanne vs. Chelsea Green (from Tough Enough and Daniel Bryan's infidelity storyline)

Maria Maria & Luscious Latasha vs. Rhia O'Reilly & Viper

A winner take all match for those three championships is actually pretty cool, and I wonder if they'll actually have a ladder match for their MITB match or if they'll have a four-way.
The Shimmer Weekend shows are sually good due to all the talnet coming in

Recall

2003 - 2009 Noah was so good they had just the right mix of older veterans and young up and comers.

Really miss Takeshi Morishima his run as GHC Champion was so good.

They were also smart in putting over the young talent even in losses to the old guard.

The Jnr Heavyweight scene in 2003-2005 for NOAH was a fun time too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Been watching Three Mile Island news reports again because I get obsessed with this stuff. When did News Station backdrops go from looking like dope busy journalistic bullpens to shitty stock Lowes dining room sample sets?

Jay White needs a new photo for ROH ASAP. He looks so emo in that picture.

I started my Dean Malenko viewing project today with Joe and Dean Malenko vs. Ricky Steamboat and Nikita Koloff from Clash of the Champions XIX. Dean Malenko in 1992 is surprisingly agile and fast, and Joe Malenko and Steamboat have a beautiful sequence starting with their intense knucklelock test of strength fairly early in the match. At about 13 minutes long, it's a nice appetizer to Dean Malenko's work and well worth a watch.
There's not a day that goes by where I think about a 6'3 Dean Malenko and how much he could've been a bigger star than he was. Luckily wCw had him and not wwf because I could only imagine what gimmick they would've thrown him. But who knows, Bret could've vouched for him during his run as top guy to let him and Dean tear the house down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kevin Owens's Jericho-worship is almost as funny as his random hatred of Michael Cole.

Kevin Owens's Jericho-worship is almost as funny as his random hatred of Michael Cole.
I love it. It's somehow the trolliest thing he does. (I mean, most of his opinioneering comes right from the Internet fans. People hate Cole, and Owens basically quotes them.) I really want him to come out in a scarf one day, as tribute.

dream

I've been listening to EC3's theme all day, and it's basically tailor-made for NXT, complete with a singable section.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jericho on ESPN put over Kevin Owens' as the next big thing, so obviously that means Owens is jobbing until his pre-show match at Mania 32.

Angry Grimace

165%20-%20edge%20gif%20no_way_out%20wwe.gif

I can't recall one incident in the past year she has put anyone over. All she does is have a segment in which she insults someone and then nothing comes of it.

If Jericho's book taught me anything, its that if you're talent you basically have no real input on whether you put someone else over unless you actively go out of your way to convince Vince of something. It basically sounds like Vince actively likes backstage politicking.

Top Bottom